Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Feb 20, 2005
126 posts
Newmarket
I read a few time about 'Only used' can be import to Canada. Is that true? I went thru the www.riv.ca but cannot find that quota.

Some people said 1 year old but some just said old with amount of mileage. Please guide me thru here.

Many thanks

Jon04CTS wrote:I did that with my CTS-V. But I bought it used. You can't bring the car over unless it's 6 months old or has a certain amount of mileage on it. That prevents you from buying brand new cars from the US.
Dec 5, 2003
338 posts
26 upvotes
ertman wrote:Don't forget that the Canadian dealer will charge you somewhere between $1000 and $1500 for "freight and PDI", but the US dealer usually charges closer to $200-$300 for the same thing.

You can't really compare MSRPs, though - you need to get quotes from a Canadian dealer (for the full price, including all of the extra fees), then get quotes from the US dealer, account for the current exchange rate, and then figure out if it is worth the trouble.

We saved over $5000 even after you factor in a hotel for the night, gas there and back, a falling Canadian dollar at the time, different financing rates, inspections, duties, and taxes.
Aug 21, 2003
99 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
I've called up a bunch of Lexus dealers, and none of them are willing to sell a new car to a Canadian. They say it violates their franchise agreement. They are, however, able to sell used cars. If I remember correctly, BMW is the same...

On another note, Canada & US includes/excludes various packages in their "base" model, so it takes slightly more "work" to compare prices.
rfdmember wrote:anyone had experience with BMW or Lexus dealers in the US? how much did u pay for import and taxes?

how much did u save in the end?
Aug 7, 2005
862 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
How can one drive the vehicle from a state to my front door?

Is there any way of getting a temporary permit before entering the states? That is of course if you pay for the vehicle and have the dealer send you an invoice.

What about dealer plates? Could I get a dealer plate (uncle owns a shop), slap it on in the states and drive it on over to CT here in Ontario?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2827 posts
704 upvotes
ReFuGeE wrote:How can one drive the vehicle from a state to my front door?

Is there any way of getting a temporary permit before entering the states? That is of course if you pay for the vehicle and have the dealer send you an invoice.

What about dealer plates? Could I get a dealer plate (uncle owns a shop), slap it on in the states and drive it on over to CT here in Ontario?
One of the dealers said that they would provide a NYS temp plate to get to the border. Once you're in Ontario, I assume a temp. permit plate is applicable, once you have the VIN and invoice presented to the MTO.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1788 posts
651 upvotes
Calgary
I have a couple of questions for the pros here. :confused:

1. What is the best method of making sure the car wasn't in a wreck or some damage BEFORE I commit to traveling to look at it? Pre purchase inspection at a dealership?
2. There is a loan on the vehicle I have negotiated for. How should the transaction go down? Who do I pay what and in what order?
3. The "US Title" that is required at the border....is it supposed to show the owners name who I bought it from?

Thanks a bunch! :D
Sep 22, 2005
676 posts
128 upvotes
BC
mack wrote:ok wait...so i would still have to pay 14% tax on my car that i imported?

so a car made in the NAFTA would be price + 14% tax + all fees?

and a car made in japan or some place elsewhere would be price + 6.125% duty + 14% tax + all fees?

that wouldnt be a hot deal anymore.

CAD cost for civic: total $27,251.70 MRSP - can probably get it for 26000ish after dealings
US cost for same civic: $19,010 USD = ~$21,601.11 CAD x 1.14 = 24625

so savings will be approx 2,000?

all that trouble for 2,000?....i think i'll just get it here.

correct me if i'm wrong.
you didn't factor in the sales tax(gst/pst) on Canadian MRSP.27251.7x 1.13
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1788 posts
651 upvotes
Calgary
Just found out the bank is hosing me on the exchange rate.
BMO wants >1.14 when the Bank of Canada rate is posted at 1.1345.
The is the best rate for a wire transfer (ie no money laundering cash deal higher rate). :mad:
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1568 posts
41 upvotes
iceage wrote:you didn't factor in the sales tax(gst/pst) on Canadian MRSP.27251.7x 1.13

damn....i thought its tax on the american value/purchase price......thats even more tax :( and why is it 1.13?...isnt it 1.14

My howardforums Feedbacks

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... did=156877

Just made a Heatware account
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=18988
Dec 12, 2003
669 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
honda does not honour US warranty..
iceage wrote:you didn't factor in the sales tax(gst/pst) on Canadian MRSP.27251.7x 1.13
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
While I can't speak for other provinces, in Ontario you can get a temporary transit permit for $15 dollars.

You need to provide proof of purchase (invoice from dealer) and proof of insurance. When you get that, you will get the temporary permits.

Since I've been talking to a dealer in New York State, he tells me I would need to purchase a NYS 30-day permit for $45 USD. He was unsure whether you could travel from the dealership through customs with Ontario temporary plates. In my case, I would rather spend the $45USD on a tried and true method. I would consider getting temporary Ontario plates if my registration was going to take a while.

I don't see how Deemo is getting hosed. I was quoted the current exchange rate PLUS 2.5% administration at the first place I went to.

To answer his other question, my dealer has invited me to see the car before I purchase it. He would also indicate that this is a new vehicle that is not storm damaged on the invoice. The invoice (bill of sale) is one of the forms that is required by US Customs to export the vehicle.
Jul 15, 2003
256 posts
7 upvotes
4revR - Taken wrote:Does anybody know if Infiniti honours their US warranty??

Thanks.

I'm also looking to import a Infiniti in the new year. Does anybody know if there warranty is still good in Canada?
Dec 31, 2005
211 posts
Toronto
markjia wrote:I tried searching for information concerning the possibility of getting a lease on a US car, but was not able to find anyhing useful. Can anyone confirm whether a lease is possible?

Also, this car is mainly for company use, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any problems concerning tax purposes.
You might have success with a Canadaian 3rd party lease company. If you arrange the sale in USA and have the Canadian lease company buy it and lease it to you, that might work.
Jun 12, 2006
149 posts
3 upvotes
andrew-g wrote:I'm also looking to import a Infiniti in the new year. Does anybody know if there warranty is still good in Canada?
keep posting about your experience. I am also thinking about an Infiniti or an Acura. But as posted here before acura/honda does not honour their warranty in canada.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)