Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1330 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
andrew-g wrote:I'm also looking to import a Infiniti in the new year. Does anybody know if there warranty is still good in Canada?
It is valid for Nissans. I called both Nissan USA and Nissan Canada.

Nissan Canada says as long as there aren't any hidden clauses in the Nissan USA warranty, and that the USA warranty continues to be valid after import, then Nissan Canada will honour the warranty and you can get work done in Canada.

Then I called Nissan USA to confirm whether there are any hidden clauses regarding importing a car to Canada, and they said the USA warranty will continue to be valid.

I would presume it is the same policy for Infiniti, but someone should call to confirm.

One consideration though - I know someone who imported a 350z from the states last year, and although the warranty is valid, he says he had to jump through a few hoops in order to get Nissan Canada to perform warranty work.
Aug 7, 2005
862 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
Monsieurmaggot wrote:Since I've been talking to a dealer in New York State, he tells me I would need to purchase a NYS 30-day permit for $45 USD. He was unsure whether you could travel from the dealership through customs with Ontario temporary plates. In my case, I would rather spend the $45USD on a tried and true method. I would consider getting temporary Ontario plates if my registration was going to take a while.
And we as Canadians can walk right into a NYS DMV with our invoice and get temp plates and drive right passed the border and to CT?
Nov 9, 2005
138 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond
jafo999 wrote:If anyone has any pointers to a US Toyota dealer near the Ontario border that is willing to sell to Canadians, I'd really appreciate a PM. I haven't been having any luck. Subaru, on the other hand, was a piece of cake.

Same here,I couldn't find any Toyota dealer in Washinton State are able to sell to Canadians.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1257 upvotes
Sauga
develop wrote:Same here,I couldn't find any Toyota dealer in Washinton State are able to sell to Canadians.
You could try getting one in Oregon like this guy. He detailed his experience and mentioned the dealership as well as the salesperson.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6317 posts
984 upvotes
Is there any company in Canada that will do all the work for you for a fee? It might be worthwhile considering how much work you have to put in.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1788 posts
651 upvotes
Calgary
Monsieurmaggot wrote: I don't see how Deemo is getting hosed. I was quoted the current exchange rate PLUS 2.5% administration at the first place I went to.
What rate did you get Bank of Canada is posting 1.13. You can't get better than that.....tha banks want there cut and that was the best rate (1.14) on a direct money transfer from my account to another account.
By paying an extra 2.5 aren't you just worsening the exchange?

Monsieurmaggot wrote:To answer his other question, my dealer has invited me to see the car before I purchase it. He would also indicate that this is a new vehicle that is not storm damaged on the invoice. The invoice (bill of sale) is one of the forms that is required by US Customs to export the vehicle.
I am looking at a car that isn't at a dealership.
It is a private sale with a loan (ie lien) at a bank.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2827 posts
704 upvotes
I'm still in disgust on why warranties aren't transferable. I understand that some manufacturers honour their warranties if you export the car to Canada, but for the ones who don't...ultimately a warranty is still a warranty, NO? I mean, if you drive your car on a trip to the US, and it breaks down while under warranty, would you not be able to bring it in to a dealer and have it fixed in the US? Too much politics and greed involved. I did some research and had an invoice sent to me via email on a vehicle and there is a difference.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
That's my point Deemo, if you're getting an exchange rate at 1.1345 that's excellent.

The bank I went to (CIBC) wanted a 2.5% premium over "their" posted rate.

It was closer to 1.17.

To answer ReFuGeE's question, when I spoke to a dealer in Washington State (Carter Subaru) about driving a car back to Toronto, he told me that as far as he knew, you couldn't cross state lines with temporary plates. I don't know if that is necessarily true but you might want to check with the authorities in the neighbouring states before you bring a car cross country.

Lucky for me I since found the dealer in Buffalo who gladly sells to Canadians.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2827 posts
704 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote:That's my point Deemo, if you're getting an exchange rate at 1.1345 that's excellent.

The bank I went to (CIBC) wanted a 2.5% premium over "their" posted rate.

It was closer to 1.17.

To answer ReFuGeE's question, when I spoke to a dealer in Washington State (Carter Subaru) about driving a car back to Toronto, he told me that as far as he knew, you couldn't cross state lines with temporary plates. I don't know if that is necessarily true but you might want to check with the authorities in the neighbouring states before you bring a car cross country.

Lucky for me I since found the dealer in Buffal who gladly sells to Canadians.
MonsieurMaggot...thanks for the info you provided me earlier. As you stated above, every State that you cross, you need a temporary plate for every one you cross. I checked that out already, so a NYS temp plat is only valid in NYS.
May 31, 2002
395 posts
10 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Has anybody tried to have the car shipped?

Using Hansen's? http://pages.ebay.ca/ebaymotors/sell/hansens.html

Blah blah from their web site:

You can trust Hansen's to provide an exceptional package of relocation services anywhere in Canada and to or from the U.S. With nearly 25 years of specialized experience, only Hansen's can deliver your car or truck door-to-door, on-time, and damage free.

* Canada's largest national transporter of cars and trucks
* your car or truck is never driven
* competitively priced with no hidden costs
* cross border shipping; customs assistance available
* 5 offices strategically located across Canada
* satellite tracking
* fully insured with no deductible
* on-line vehicle tracking
* Visa & Mastercard accepted
* Canada and U.S. customs bonded
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1568 posts
41 upvotes
ok...now i am worried about the permit...everything else i can obtain there and such...and i do not want to purchase a car without checking it out first, even if its new...so the ontario permit is out of the question.

i thought you could get a temp state (which ever state you are in) permit or a traveling permit and it should be valid for a certain amount of days?

My howardforums Feedbacks

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... did=156877

Just made a Heatware account
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=18988
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Hiring a mover or even a broker would make sense if you didn't live near the border.

The cost (I have been quoted about $1500USD) for shipping isn't worth the juice for a trip that's only 100kms. I can bring the car across in a few hours.

As far as brokering goes, why would I want to pay someone to do my brokerage when the cost is under $200 to do it myself? I can't imagine what a broker would charge me for that work.

I noticed that their website indicates a broker is required for dealer purchases. That would be incorrect.

Maybe someone reading this can shed more light on the actual costs to do it.

I wouldn't want to wait days to get my new car.

One of my co-workers suggested I buy the cars in the US and flip them here just like the dealer in Oakville does. It would be curious to see how much I could get for a new American car in Auto Trader.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Mack, where are you thinking of buying your car?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1568 posts
41 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote:Mack, where are you thinking of buying your car?

well i'm in Toronto wich is like 1 hour away from buffalo. as for the car, basically somewhere close to the border or somewhere hot (florida? cali?)

however, right now i am taking all the information i can get before i actually import a car. i dont want to purchase the car and be stuck/have trouble getting it over here.

My howardforums Feedbacks

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... did=156877

Just made a Heatware account
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=18988
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If you buy in Florida, it might almost make sense to have the carrier that matkokubko talked about bring your car over.

You're going to spend two or three days driving the car. The money you spend on permits and gas might pay for the transport cost.

Something to consider anyway....

If I was buying in any of the northern States (Washington through Maine) it would be easier to drive it across.