Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1511 posts
9 upvotes
free of duties, but you still gotta pay the 14% taxes. and they're not going to miss this item (a car is huge). hehe.. change of paying taxes is like 99.9% lol.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I found a transport carrier that makes regular runs to the US from Mississauga. If you purchase a car, they can do all the paper work for you and get it across the border with no fuss. They transport cars to the US 4 times a week and bring cars back.

They will drop off the cars in Mississauga or anywhere in the GTA.

If people are interested, I can get a list of fees for the service.
Dec 25, 2004
182 posts
10 upvotes
Maple
How much to transport a car from Birmingham Alabama to Toronto? Found a classic 1969 Mustang that I will more likely purchase.
Nov 16, 2005
118 posts
Calgary, AB
DrkMnX wrote:And someone mentioned that there is a 6.5% luxury tax for cars with metallic paint? Is that true?
I'm guessing not true. In my research I never came across such a thing, and I also recently imported a silver car with no such tax. I'm still not sure where the blue metallic stuff is coming from either though... :confused:
We are vigilant...
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
3122 posts
909 upvotes
North Vancouver
William Q wrote:Almost every dealers in OR are willing to sell me 07 camry.

In WA state, Toyota Kirkland had said that they could sell to Candian, but today, when I tried to negociate price with them, I got message from them that they are no longer able to sell to Canadian any more.

I also found some 07 Camry's VIN number starts with "j". I am not sure if I purchase it, I am going to pay duty or not.

BTW, I am in Richmond. Please also share your info if any.
Have you try this dealer?

http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/index.p ... opic=11906

Costco Price seems just so so , but avoid hassle. This dealer http://www.fitzmall.com is pretty good, they offer invoice+$500
for 07 camry but too far away for us. :mad:

I'm consider Hybrid since I can still get up to $2000 Tax refund in BC.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
2032 posts
929 upvotes
Calgary
killbillvol1 wrote:This is the question we all want answers to - anyone?
BMW will honour the warrenty but not the "free" maintenence agreement.
On my older 328i this only amounted a lousy 2 oil changes over the term of the agreement before it ran out.

Honda will not honour the warrenty based on info here.
Not sure of the others.
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
152 upvotes
Sih wrote:I'm guessing not true. In my research I never came across such a thing, and I also recently imported a silver car with no such tax. I'm still not sure where the blue metallic stuff is coming from either though... :confused:
why would certain colours be prohibited from being imported?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2714 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
Deemo wrote:BMW will honour the warrenty but not the "free" maintenence agreement.
On my older 328i this only amounted a lousy 2 oil changes over the term of the agreement before it ran out.

Honda will not honour the warrenty based on info here.
Not sure of the others.
Is this from BMw Canada? I was just talkign to a dealre in NY, andthey said they can't sell Canadians a new car, but a preowned one. and the Warranty will not be transferable, unless you go to a CDN dealer to certify it, not sure what he means exactly .
Did u have to do that step?
Jul 11, 2005
50 posts
2 upvotes
For those looking for an 07 Camry I would just like to state a bit about my experiences so far.

1) I have been able to find dealers in North Dakota willing to sell to Canadians.

2) Camrys are in back order in this region, not a huge selection so if you want something bad you would have to order. Ordering can take minimum 8 weeks.

3) If the VIN # of the Camry starts with J then it is built in Japan. I spoke to a rep from Toyota USA who told me that most camrys are built in US but some are still built in Japan. YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY DUTIES ON THE JAPANESE CAMRYS.

4) For a fully loaded XLE without navigation I have the dealer cost of the base XLE (no options) and not including the 550 dealer holdback. The dealer cost is around 24000. Add Dest charge, TDA , Gas , Dealer Holdback, Wholesale financial reserve and the total dealer cost is around 25500.

5) Seems Fitzmall has high prices when compared to quotes I received. Quotes I received asked for 1000$ more over the total dealer cost. Still cheaper than "Fitzmall" invoice when I checked out their site.

6) WARRANTY: Toyota Canada says that all US warranties should be covered. But will not give me an official statement in regards to that. I have tried contacting Toyota USA but they will not give me a reply. So beware. Toyota Dealerships (most of them) will say they do not honour the warranty. (One reason I am inclined to purchase sonata: Hyundai service manager explained to me how it works for all dealerships when servicing US vehicles. It takes the dealership a max of 20 mins more to ensure via phone and paperwork that work was done and dealership will be paid. For hyundai it was no problem of servicing a US vehicle in Canada.)

Hope that stuff helps ppl out! :)

If anyone is interested in purchasing a Camry from North Dakota maybe we can put in a big order and save alot more money?! (Though I am still looking at my options, ie 07 Sonata).

Anyone else have any suggestions regarding mid size vehicles to look at? I have gotten quotes regarding subarus, toyotas, hyundais, even mitsubishi(though warranty doesnt seem to be covered here and prices are ridiculous for a mitsubishi).

Cheers,

Vin
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
2032 posts
929 upvotes
Calgary
Neb wrote:Is this from BMw Canada? I was just talkign to a dealre in NY, andthey said they can't sell Canadians a new car, but a preowned one. and the Warranty will not be transferable, unless you go to a CDN dealer to certify it, not sure what he means exactly .
Did u have to do that step?
Haven't heard of that and I have been to the dealer twice...once for DTRL and the other time for the Alberta out of province inspection.
They are replacing the TCU under warrenty and never said anything.
When I called BMW Canada they never mentioned it either.
(1-800-567-2691)
Mar 27, 2005
73 posts
12 upvotes
We sucessfully imported a Toyota Sienne LE from Bitterrot Motors in Missoula montana (www.bitterrotmotors.com). The internet sales department (Tom Delaney and Todd Padgett) was great to deal with. Price was about $600 or 2% above invoice which was slightly less than edmunds' TMV price. Savings was over $9000 even after costs.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
3122 posts
909 upvotes
North Vancouver
Vincent_Chander wrote:For those looking for an 07 Camry I would just like to state a bit about my experiences so far.

1) I have been able to find dealers in North Dakota willing to sell to Canadians.

2) Camrys are in back order in this region, not a huge selection so if you want something bad you would have to order. Ordering can take minimum 8 weeks.

3) If the VIN # of the Camry starts with J then it is built in Japan. I spoke to a rep from Toyota USA who told me that most camrys are built in US but some are still built in Japan. YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY DUTIES ON THE JAPANESE CAMRYS.

4) For a fully loaded XLE without navigation I have the dealer cost of the base XLE (no options) and not including the 550 dealer holdback. The dealer cost is around 24000. Add Dest charge, TDA , Gas , Dealer Holdback, Wholesale financial reserve and the total dealer cost is around 25500.

5) Seems Fitzmall has high prices when compared to quotes I received. Quotes I received asked for 1000$ more over the total dealer cost. Still cheaper than "Fitzmall" invoice when I checked out their site.

6) WARRANTY: Toyota Canada says that all US warranties should be covered. But will not give me an official statement in regards to that. I have tried contacting Toyota USA but they will not give me a reply. So beware. Toyota Dealerships (most of them) will say they do not honour the warranty. (One reason I am inclined to purchase sonata: Hyundai service manager explained to me how it works for all dealerships when servicing US vehicles. It takes the dealership a max of 20 mins more to ensure via phone and paperwork that work was done and dealership will be paid. For hyundai it was no problem of servicing a US vehicle in Canada.)

Hope that stuff helps ppl out! :)

If anyone is interested in purchasing a Camry from North Dakota maybe we can put in a big order and save alot more money?! (Though I am still looking at my options, ie 07 Sonata).

Anyone else have any suggestions regarding mid size vehicles to look at? I have gotten quotes regarding subarus, toyotas, hyundais, even mitsubishi(though warranty doesnt seem to be covered here and prices are ridiculous for a mitsubishi).

Cheers,

Vin
Toyota Dealerships (most of them) will say they do not honour the warranty?
So what we need to do? Everytime for warranty services ask them to check the head office?
Mar 4, 2004
212 posts
5 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
ecgz88 wrote:Toyota Dealerships (most of them) will say they do not honour the warranty?
So what we need to do? Everytime for warranty services ask them to check the head office?
Well, it's a personal decision, but I guess you have two choices, either buy the car and add an after market warranty if you want, or don't buy the car. But really, why would you want to deal with a copmpany that plays these kinds of games? There are lots of other cars out there. Personally, I won't let a company jek me around like that, I'll just buy from someone else. No one is that good to be allowed to treat their potential customers in that fashion.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
28 upvotes
Does anyone know if Volvo's warranty is transferable to Canada?
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
VenomGT wrote:How much to transport a car from Birmingham Alabama to Toronto? Found a classic 1969 Mustang that I will more likely purchase.
The transport company is Oakwood

I will check with them on Tuesday for rates. You pay for distance and paper work. They insure the car and you get it to Canada safe and sound with no hassles at the border.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2002
1680 posts
3 upvotes
Price of the closest US BMW dealer (that sells to Canadians) to Mississauga?
Gee wrote:I found a transport carrier that makes regular runs to the US from Mississauga. If you purchase a car, they can do all the paper work for you and get it across the border with no fuss. They transport cars to the US 4 times a week and bring cars back.

They will drop off the cars in Mississauga or anywhere in the GTA.

If people are interested, I can get a list of fees for the service.
Mar 29, 2006
25 posts
1 upvote
I sent an email to RIV regarding of this and they replied.
As long as US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf is satisfied, it is OK to import.
And RIV rep personally mentioned "I don't believe there are any colour restrictions, nor why there would be."
So, I conclude myself that there is no colour/paint restrictions nor surcharge/luxury tax etc. (I may still have wrong info, so I always welcome if there is any precise info regarding of this)
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2002
1680 posts
3 upvotes
yah that's ludicrous.. you could just paint it aftermarket anytime
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
3122 posts
909 upvotes
North Vancouver
joe friday wrote:Well, it's a personal decision, but I guess you have two choices, either buy the car and add an after market warranty if you want, or don't buy the car. But really, why would you want to deal with a copmpany that plays these kinds of games? There are lots of other cars out there. Personally, I won't let a company jek me around like that, I'll just buy from someone else. No one is that good to be allowed to treat their potential customers in that fashion.
If in the Toyota warranty paper said it's North America Warranty then they should honor it with no problem. Just argue a little bit I think. :)

Toyota is Top Seller in Canada, their policy is "take it or leave it", their dealer in BC even don't bargin any price.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)