Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
28 upvotes
This really should be a stickied thread. It's gotta be in the top 5 most useful RFD threads ever. Someone should do a car manufacturer transferable warranty FAQ and keep it updated.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Jan 14, 2004
855 posts
98 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote: NOTE:

Keep in mind that if you buy a US vehicle and intend on driving it in Canada, you will need to buy "gallons to litre conversion fuel" (Canadian Tire sells it in the border communities) or risk damaging your catalytic converter and other emission components. US-made vehicles run on gallons of gas, very few can accept gasoline by the litre. Best to check the RIV site to ensure that the imported car will accept the conversion fuel. You can ask them to be sure since the information is tough to find on their website.

Sorry, I can't help myself....
LMAO!!! :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
28 upvotes
AND US cars that take premium unleaded will only accept Exxon and BP premium unleaded so you buy at your own risk. Canadian premium unleaded simply isn't good enough. So you better be warned or you have a tanker of gas accompany you home.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Jul 25, 2005
14 posts
OK!!!!! long time reader. Finally read the whole thread.....extremely useful. So here's my proposition....to start I am from Alberta so I say to anyone here in RDF who is living in Alberta as well and wants a new vehicle to come together and pool/share our information. I am new at this so I say to all that is interested to look for a reputable auto broker to take care of all the paperwork ( or do this ourselves) and bring the cars over to Alberta (and possibly even save on the tranport/freight fee). I am interested in Subarus (but open to other brands), so if anyone is interested in subarus in Alberta, I say we purchase together (group discount) from a close U.S. state and reputable dealer.

http://www.cars101.com/canada.html

This guy Joe Spitz seems pretty knowledgable....maybe him?

Just a suggestion but maybe for anyone interested we can definitely do this!!
Jun 23, 2003
587 posts
438 upvotes
Been tinkering with this idea myself, for either a new or used car. For used, I found a broker, willing to bring what I want in for 5% plus all the fees talked about here.

My question is on new cars..GM Cars.

Looked at a few automotive websites, couldn't find the answer to the following questions:
I assume the GM 3/60 warranty is tranferable.
Is it possible to get GMAC Finanacing down there, as a Canadian? I haven't seen it mentioned here (mostly because manufactureres like Honda have a "Honda Canada" arm to do the financing).

GM Canada and GM USA both use GMAC..all the calls I've ever made to GMAC on my cars have been answered in the USA.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
browna wrote:Looked at a few automotive websites, couldn't find the answer to the following questions:
I assume the GM 3/60 warranty is tranferable.
Is it possible to get GMAC Finanacing down there, as a Canadian? I haven't seen it mentioned here (mostly because manufactureres like Honda have a "Honda Canada" arm to do the financing).

GM Canada and GM USA both use GMAC..all the calls I've ever made to GMAC on my cars have been answered in the USA.
'NO' to all your questions.
Buy a third party warranty if you bring your GM over.
Otherwise, go back to the US dealer if you have major warranty problems. No canadian dealer will touch it unless you pay for the work.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1261 posts
602 upvotes
mydnyte wrote:anyone have pricing on an 06 Outback? ...and know if they come with Daytime running lights already?
Subaru is on my short list as well. The Outback does come with daytime running lights. I priced an Outback Limited 2.5 at around $28500 Cdn or $11000 less than list here. For quick quotes I've been using Carsdirect. A mid-trim unit goes for $24,700. Several in this thread have referred to Joe Spitz at http://www.cars101.com/. This is of course in Washington State. Your profile doesn't list location.

I'm with others in pinning this highly useful thread. Perhaps it could go into the Auto section.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
3246 posts
1807 upvotes
I had an actual invoice sent to me from one of the dealers in NY for a 06 Outback, so if anyone wants to compare...PM me.
Dec 5, 2004
150 posts
Toronto
For those who had brough a car from the US, I have some questions that I like to ask.

1. Do you have to pay the full amount ahead of time and get the car register and fax the paper work to the US border? Does the dealer do all the paper work for you or you have to do it yourself?

2. Do you have to go down twice? Once to pay for the car and get the paper work faxed to the US border and the second time to pickup the car?

3. Do you just park the car at the dealer to wait for the 72hrs period from the US boarder agent?

4. For the Toronto, Ontario subaru buyer, which dealer did you go to in NY? Can you give me the person that you contact with the purchase?

thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
(1) We payed for our car with a certified check. We did pay 1000.00 down over thephone. Remember to declare the amount at the US border when you cross.

(2) The dealer will send you a bill of sale which is for customs. You can then fax this to US customs. Wait the 72 hour period, then go get your car. Remember it is three business days. In our case it was 84 hours and we were at the dealership waiting for customs to call.

(3) Pay for the car with a down payment. Send the bill of sale to US customs and wait three business days then go get the car. We saved enough to make a vacation out of the trip. Flew down and drove the car back.

hope this helps
Dec 5, 2004
150 posts
Toronto
Thanks for the quick answers.

I have one more question related to temporary license. Do I need two different temporary licenses, one for the US and one after crossing the Canadian border?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7429 posts
4675 upvotes
Ottawa
MMMM wrote:(1) We payed for our car with a certified check. We did pay 1000.00 down over thephone. Remember to declare the amount at the US border when you cross.

That's a really good point. If you enter the US with more $10k or more, you MUST declare it to customs. If you don't declare it and they find it, they can (and probably will) seize it and it that wasn't bad enough, you'll probably get accused of being a drug smuggler or terrorist or something of the sort.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
For those of you looking at Subaru Outbacks, according to Northtown Auto and the cars101 website, the 2007s are actually cheaper and have added options this year like an aux plug for your iPod, and more importantly the automatic tire pressure monitoring system which will be mandated soon across all model lines.

The 2006s are being cleared out at less than invoice (I read at edmunds.com that it's about $500 below invoice). When you factor in $1500 - $2000 US instant discount for cash purchases, that's quite a deal too.

I'm waiting for the 2007s as the VDC option is now included with the 3.0 litre six.

The XT version have the renowned Subaru SI computerized speed/driving control system.

A fully loaded LLBean edition (which isn't available in Canada) can be had for about $28K US. (about $31.2 Canadian) The Canadian version MSRPs in Canada for $50K freight in. The freight in the US is about a third what it is in Canada.

The Outback is US made so no duty applies. The car comes with DRLs as standard equipment.

The Forester is Japanese made so 6.1% duty applies. Even so, it's still $10k cheaper than in Canada.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
(1) You can get three tempory permits. get all three and ask that one remaine blank. They will do this. If you have any issues getting the car certifiied in the 45 day window you can date this the extra permit when you need it. In my case I had to take the vehicle in to a shop after the second permit had run out.

(2) Decalaring the money when crossing the border is easy as long as its a small amount (20000.00). There was no paperwork involved and they wanted to see the paperwork.
Nov 22, 2005
180 posts
2 upvotes
great post, lost of info.

i'm considering to import a used Honda S2000 from NY, likely Rochester or Buffalo area.

1. Would anyone know what mods would be required for this vehicle as per the list at the following link:

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/mod_insp ... ments.html

2. What exactly is this compliance label? do all vehicles have? is this the plate found on the inside door jam?

3. Can anyone recommend a good Honda dealer in Rochester or Buffalo?
Thanks
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
Some great deals on the S2000 but keep in mind the car is not assembled in North America and will be subject to duty in addition to the PST/GST
Nov 22, 2005
180 posts
2 upvotes
thanks for the heads up.

any idea on how much additional duty?

what about a Nissan 350Z?
Aug 13, 2006
10 posts
seabird wrote:thanks for the heads up.

any idea on how much additional duty?

what about a Nissan 350Z?
6.1% for both the honda and the Nissan
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
Check out this site for DRL's for the S2000. Very detailed. The forum section at the bottom has some helpfull reading also.

s2000 DRL link

This car is a great deal in the states new or used, even with the 6.1% duty added on the savings are huge.

The only mod required is are the DRL.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)