Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
For those asking about Lexus and Toyota dealers in WNY who sell to Canadians, one simple dealership: NORTHTOWN AUTO.

They WILL sell to Canadians.

If you call them and ask the generic question, they will say no. If you give them your name and contact information, they will tell you that they will.
Nov 16, 2005
118 posts
Calgary, AB
aZnRYcEbOi wrote:Try calling head office yourself, and double check.

Also, now that you've bought the car, can't you just stop by an Infiniti dealer and get them to run your VIN to check your warranty status?

I intend on doing that, I had just returned with the car last night. ;) I was just hoping to have something to back my inquiries up.

I'll check out your info too shopper-X , but the US dealer specifically wrote on one of the pieces of paperwork that the warranty isn't valid if quickly registered in Canada. :(
We are vigilant...
Aug 7, 2005
861 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
Sih wrote:I intend on doing that, I had just returned with the car last night. ;) I was just hoping to have something to back my inquiries up.

I'll check out your info too shopper-X , but the US dealer specifically wrote on one of the pieces of paperwork that the warranty isn't valid if quickly registered in Canada. :(
Please let us know as I will be importing a G35 into Ontario within the next week.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4667 posts
799 upvotes
SK
Sih wrote:I intend on doing that, I had just returned with the car last night. ;) I was just hoping to have something to back my inquiries up.

Let us all know what you find out. I read it as we can, but then again it's up to them (Nissan/Infiniti).
shopper-X
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2004
1274 posts
46 upvotes
Let me know where you are getting the price for the Outback as I called Amherst and North Buffalo and was not quoted on the 2007 models yet. Am interested in the same model as you.
Tuppin wrote:I'm also looking at a Subaru Outback. Can get a new 07 for about $25,500 Canadian plus the taxes. Same car in Canada is around $34,000. However, the 07's are not on the approved list yet....so I'm waiting. The Dealer in Maine (closest state) does it all the time and looks after the paperwork. Added bonus....the Outback and Tribeca are made in USA...no duty and they also come standard with daytime running lights....so no mods needed.

Toyota dealer said he couldn't sell me a new car. So Subaru seems to be the best bet right now.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1327 posts
417 upvotes
Toronto
I found a great dealer at West Herr Subaru in the Buffalo, NY area. Very familiar with the importing process and only had to haggle once to match the best rate i found on the net.

He sent the paperwork to the border before I paid for the car (but after the deposit) so I'll only have to go there once, still have the option to back out if I don't like the car, but if I like it, I can drive it home that day!

Only thing is the Impreza is made in Japan so it doesn't qualify under NAFTA and i'll have to pay the 6.1% tax but on the bright side, IT'S MADE IN JAPAN!!! :D

Anyway, wish me luck. If it all works out, I'll post my experience. PM me if you want the contact at West Herr Subaru.
=============
Heatware
Nov 6, 2002
111 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal
I was about to import a Outback 2007, but it's not yet on the list of importable cars. The problem (after some investigation of my sale rep) is that Subaru USA did release the Compliance Label for Canada (it is what makes it importable) to Subaru Canada and Subaru Canada doesn't want to give it to RIV, since they have too many 2006 model in stock. Subaru USA is pissed (at least, that's what I heard).

I phoned Subaru Canada and the lady there told me that they should release the 2007 late september, begining of Oct. I told her about importing the car and she replied that she received some many calls about this. She confirmed at the same time that the warranty is good in Canada, but pointed out that it takes more time to process (during a repair).

The best price so far for an Outback 2007 2.5I auto is 22997$US (in Vermont). PM me if you have better deal or if you want my rep info.
Jan 8, 2005
32 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
Asun wrote:Try craigslist.
I seriously doubt that would work. Craigslist is great and hugely popular in the major US cities but imagine if you posted a local (here in Canada) and some american replied wanting to buy your car for border/customs advantages. Anyway, I've tried and it has worked a few times, but those were for items that could be shipped. Even then, it's a hassle to convince them to ship.

What could work is if you're going to some US city, then you can find potential cars and arrange to see/inspect some cars by going thru CL.

Anyone have experience/research using [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] to buy and import cars?
There is no such thing as luck!!! And even if there was, by what power do you wish it?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2234 posts
295 upvotes
North Vancouver
Can anyone provided a dealer in West Area? (Besides Cars101), I'm looking for Toyota/Volkswagon.
Jan 3, 2006
788 posts
1 upvote
I actually know that my friend and his parents just travelled down to Montana last week to buy a car and a truck from Toyota. I'm not sure how it all worked with duty and such, as I know some Toyotas are now made here, bue they ended up buying a Corolla and a Truck (some TRD sport model) and saved quite a bit.
Mar 29, 2006
25 posts
1 upvote
I read replies and someone mentioned about colours.
Is it true that only certain colours can be imported to Canada?
What happen if I import Blue Metallic car? Do I have to pay extra or Is it impossible to import?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
47 upvotes
t0pclass wrote:I read replies and someone mentioned about colours.
Is it true that only certain colours can be imported to Canada?
What happen if I import Blue Metallic car? Do I have to pay extra or Is it impossible to import?
Don't even try to import a blue (especially metallic paint) car. They will turn you back and not think twice about it. I tried to import a nice metallic blue volvo and hide the colour by applying decals...they discovered the decals and blue paint underneath and siezed the vehicle...I learned my lesson the hard way > :( .
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
ReFuGeE wrote:Please let us know as I will be importing a G35 into Ontario within the next week.

Please keep in mind that the G35 will be subject to PST,GST, and duty as it is not assembled in North America..(as is the 350Z, unfortunately)
Apr 6, 2003
726 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
jackboot wrote:Don't even try to import a blue (especially metallic paint) car. They will turn you back and not think twice about it. I tried to import a nice metallic blue volvo and hide the colour by applying decals...they discovered the decals and blue paint underneath and siezed the vehicle...I learned my lesson the hard way > :( .
That's rough. A friend of a friend who tried to import a metallic blue honda was forced to scrape off all the paint by hand with sandpaper before they let him thru.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2711 posts
1223 upvotes
Hmmm....

my Honda is metallic blue and we had no problems importing it. Plus the 40 or so cars comming across the border that day where all different shades. I also remember the only things the border guards checked for where the items RIV.CA specified on there webisight and the vehicle color is not on the list.

Have all your paperwork ready.
Do not lie about how much you paid for the car or any options
Pay the fees

Thats it.