Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Oct 15, 2007
120 posts
2 upvotes
2Addicted wrote: Great education points about why they can't drop prices instantly... it's such a no win situation for the dealerships.. I feel bad for them.
ah... maybe a *slight* a twinge for them, but I personally don't know a car dealer who is not a millionaire, and I've been wandering this planet for a long time..
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11294 posts
1273 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys, I've i'm buying the car.. but it's for my dad... how does all the paperwork go? he can't go pick it up and is not familar with all the details so i'd have a better shot...

is that going to cause problems?
[removed for signature violation]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
2064 posts
857 upvotes
Toronto
shoprbccom wrote: Can people confirm that depending on which state a car is bought, state tax will apply? I thought if a car was bought for export, it would be excepted? Does this apply to both new and used?
I thought you don't pay state tax either when you're buying for export...
Dec 27, 2005
699 posts
21 upvotes
mangoman wrote: Seems Ottawa Citizen's reporter is not a dunderhead/under the influence of advertisers' as T.O.'s seem to be. ;)

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... 1a&k=29187

To drive prices down, drive south
As the dollar surges, Canadians owe it to themselves -- and their economy -- to stand up to retailers

Randall Denley
The Ottawa Citizen

Sunday, October 28, 2007
inkognito81 wrote: Finally a news article that takes the consumer's point of view on the whole situation.

All the articles I've read prior to this one have tried (not very hard though) to tell the story from both sides, but have always landed on the retailers side in the end.
+1, now lets go stimulate the Canadian economy.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
jadeboy wrote: For those who has successfully imported a car, did Custom Canada look to see if your car was on the riv.ca/transport canada list?
It's not Customs Canada's job to ensure the vehicle is on the list. They'll happily accept the GST on a mule.

Trick is, if you vehicle isn't on the list and you can't get it to conform, you will need to return it to the US or have it destroyed. In that case YOU WON'T be getting your GST money refunded.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Those folks are auto importers. They also get rental and lease returns.

They're pocketing thousands for what you can do for $200.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Oct 1, 2007
31 posts
Toronto
shoprbccom wrote: Can people confirm that depending on which state a car is bought, state tax will apply? I thought if a car was bought for export, it would be excepted? Does this apply to both new and used?
My dealer had me sign an "Exemption Certificate" in the state that I'm buying. This way I don't have to pay the state tax.
Sep 12, 2007
11 posts
How do we konw the used car in US have no accidents? Or how many owners the used car has?
Oct 4, 2007
36 posts
Monsieurmaggot wrote: I was off this thread for a few days and was completely blown away by all the traffic it generates in a few days.

I think we're at a turning point folks. Everywhere I look, Canadian dealers as all singing the same songs. They're trying to convince themselves this isn't happening.

The longer they remain quiet, the worse it will be for them.

Don't stop now. Keep spreading the word.

I'm being stopped at work a couple of times per week now from people asking me for information on importing cars from the US.

I continue to get tons of emails from people telling me that thanks to Subaru's stance on selling to Canadians, they are either seriously looking or buying them now. That's great. Others are so disgusted with the Canadian dealers they're looking for demonstrators or lease returns in the US.

Haven't seen hate mail in quite a while.

I guess those people realize that the rest of us would chew them up alive.
:)

Thank you for a very interesting chat experience.

But please ALL note:
As always, my personal opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of any group,
company, etc. You should do your own research first before coming
to your own opinions and conclusions.

If they ever try to put me on the "No Fly" list it will be
my turn to need help !

Bye ...
May 2, 2007
44 posts
The RIV site is pretty vague about cars from other countries, just stating that they must meet Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

I'd like to import a BMW 1-series hatchback. Has anyone else done this? Are safety standards pretty uniform across Europe? Do European safety standards meet Canadian safety standards?

If someone could direct me to a different forum or website that would help me, that would be great.

Thanks.

Ryan
rakewellhotmail.com
Jan 1, 2007
137 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
dotcalamitie wrote: http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales.html

I think this is a useful guide for choosing a State to minimize our double taxation impact in our cross border purchases. Interesting to note that Ontario taxes are higher than any of the 50 US States.
This is only the State tax. If you buy a car in Buffalo, I believe you have to pay 8.25% tax, i.e. 4.25% city tax + 4% NY state tax.

So just using the State tax is not sufficient.
Jan 1, 2007
137 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
kind16 wrote: How do we konw the used car in US have no accidents? Or how many owners the used car has?
You can check by carfax.
Jan 1, 2007
137 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
evilution wrote: you will have to pay both..
you pay the NY tax when you buy in buffalo.. pay the registration to get it registered to your cali friend.. (you need an american driver's liscence / address for the buyer)..
then your cali friend can sell it to your canadian friend as a used vehicle..
importing it, you need to pay gst and duties (since bmw made in germany)..

some cars it is still worth it, but it is a lot of paperwork..
Can my Canadian friend just use my California friend's address? He can pay the NY tax once, and then he will import it to Canada himself. And he does not need to register in California.

Can anyone share their experience with friends or relatives living in the State and help buying cars for Canadians?
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
So then we have to choose a city and state for tax purposes. Is that why people are going to Rochester?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
jmlleung wrote: You can check by carfax.
Carfax is mostly useless. I know several people who've been in accidents, and went to a Collsion Reporting Centre, police reports filled out, etc, and the accident never shows up on their Carfax reports.
Oct 14, 2007
109 posts
Pierrefonds, Quebec
jadeboy wrote: So you got a inadmissable across the border? Which model and year? What did they do at the border. Btw.. riv.ca/Transport Canada don't really know if Honda will even update the list.

Who was this?
As I look at it now I wish the Border Srvices people would have turned me back.

But there is no mention that the car is not admissible, and all the Government folks know that Honda US and Canada are just playing games.

The Car is built in Canada on the same assembly line as the Canadian version. If you check out the Service Manual called "2006-2008 Honda Civic" you will see their is no issue. The manual is used for both the Canadian and US versions. The 2007 Model is ok and it is "admissible" and it is the same as the 2008 as far as the safety Standards go.

I don't think it would be proper for me to "rat" out the dealership and saleman that sold me the car. They seem to be great folks and just got caught up in this mess. If I was an American citizen losing my job because Canadians can no longer buy from me I would be a bit upset. Many people in the US are making good money for the last couple of years selling the 2007 and other used models to Canadians.
Standing Up for Consumers / Fair Automobile Pricing For Canadians
Please visit our site, sign our petition advocating Fair Pricing For Canadians, keep up with the latest import news, join our forum and team of members located all across Canada and 123 countries. All for free.
CarsWithoutBorders.com
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/CWBlogowithwords.jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
2064 posts
857 upvotes
Toronto
toolman wrote: My dealer had me sign an "Exemption Certificate" in the state that I'm buying. This way I don't have to pay the state tax.
Why is everyone's opinion/experience on US taxes different? Do we, or do we not pay them?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2002
1614 posts
Vancouver
Bullseye wrote: Carfax is mostly useless. I know several people who've been in accidents, and went to a Collsion Reporting Centre, police reports filled out, etc, and the accident never shows up on their Carfax reports.
Is there a better, more thorough service than Carfax then?
Oct 27, 2007
5 posts
f00kie wrote: Why is everyone's opinion/experience on US taxes different? Do we, or do we not pay them?
Even when dealing within one state, I get a different answer regarding the taxes. I think the dealers are just overwhelmed with a lack of info. I've had to educate them on some items.

I am curious about why we can't import 2008 Toyotas....?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)