Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
25 upvotes
noaccess wrote:Here is what Lexus Canada said regarding importing and warranty coverage.

Thank you for your communication.

It is our understanding that Lexus dealerships in the United States may not sell US specification Lexus vehicles for the purpose of export. Lexus Canada also discourages importing vehicles that were not manufactured for the Canadian market. We do not know whether or not a given model will comply with safety and emission standards in Canada. As well, parts and basic maintenance items for foreign model Lexus vehicles may not be available from local sources. Should a modification be necessary, a Canadian Lexus dealership is not equipped to perform the work. As the The Registrar of Imported Vehicles points out on its website, even if a vehicle is admissible for import into Canada there is no guarantee that it can be successfully modified to meet Canadian requirements.

For information on importing a vehicle to Canada, we suggest you visit the website of The Registrar of Imported Vehicles (a division of Transport Canada). The address is as follows: www.riv.ca . If you prefer, you may call them at 1-888-848-8240.

The manufacturer's warranty (regardless of whether it is a US Lexus vehicle or a Canadian Lexus vehicle) is honoured in continental USA and Canada.

We hope the above information will be helpful to you.

Sincerely,

Diane Scrimshaw
Customer Relations
Lexus Canada
They're the same cars with even more goodies inside. Sounds like propaganda to me.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2236 posts
295 upvotes
North Vancouver
Who's going to buy ES350? :)
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2711 posts
1223 upvotes
No bumper mods to a porsche boxster. You have to do the DRL's and the speedo.Its MPH only. I think there is a digital readout of the speed also. There is a child tether in there I believe and the 98's have passenger airbags which automatically shut of if the tether is used.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2711 posts
1223 upvotes
Couple of points to clarify from earlier posts.

The taxes on a vehicle are paid in Canada. You pay GST and PST at the border. Canada does not loose out on any taxes by buying a vehicle in the states. Only the dealer looses. Did you hear the dealers crying when they were dumping vehicles into the states in 2002.

[IMG]The number of vehicles imported into the United States through the Registered Importer program was at an all-time high in 2002. It has decreased considerably since then primarily because of the declining U.S. dollar.[/IMG]

[IMG]Registered Importer Program - Annual Volumes[/IMG] [IMG]Year Imports [/IMG]
2004 43,661
2003 96,621
2002 211,797
2001 200,074
2000 181,432
1999 151,842
1998 76,092
1997 23,745
1996 16,766
1995 14,052
1994 15,840

This info came from NAATA (lots of info on this website)

As Monsieurmaggot stated
"[IMG]I couldn't care less if my local car dealer or other retailer goes belly up if they're not willing to compete. Not one Canadian dealer gave me an initial low price. They all start with "wadd'ya think it's worth?" or some other nonsense. American dealers give me competitive prices OVER THE PHONE the first time around[/IMG]

Canadian dealers are ripping the public off with inflated vehicle prices. Take your purchasing power somewhere else, possibly over time prices might come down.
Jan 19, 2006
464 posts
265 upvotes
BC
A
Just called CBSA and found out that motorcylces are ALL duty free, regardless of origin of manufacture.

So, without boring folks with the details of the math, the savings would be about $700 cnd, not considering time, fuel to pick up the bike.

The warranty may not be honoured either. I have an inquiry in on that

However, the sales guy I spoke to in Sandpoint Idaho said BMW, Ducati, and other Euro bike are big sellers to oil patch workers with cash burning a hole in their coveralls, because the savings can be much greater in the range of $3000.

Q
Anyone ever buy a new motorcycle in the US?

I am looking at the Dual Sport Suzuki DRZ400S

$7400 Cnd vs $5600 usd.

I assume the import requirements would be similar for a motorcyle.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
47 upvotes
cloudsuck wrote:Anyone ever buy a new motorcycle in the US?

I am looking at the Dual Sport Suzuki DRZ400S

$7400 Cnd vs $5600 usd.

I assume the import requirements would be similar for a motorcyle.

Thanks
That hardly seems worth it unless your USD price already includes GST, PST, Duty, fees, and transport to get it here.
Aug 7, 2005
862 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
jackboot wrote:That hardly seems worth it unless your USD price already includes GST, PST, Duty, fees, and transport to get it here.
Agreed, I think the big savings are for higher priced vehicles.
Nov 6, 2002
111 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal
I just talked (again) with Subaru Canada and they told me that they expect to release the Outback 2007 in 2 weeks and that they will send the Compliance Label to RIV at the same time.

I cross my fingers! I want to import my Outback ASAP!
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1205 posts
468 upvotes
Just looked through the Driving section of the paper. Hyundai has an ad featuring several of their cars. The base 2007 Sonata GL (no longer available Stateside btw) is actually $1400 more than last year's price. What are these guys thinking? Add to that around $1400 for freight and PDI and you've got an asking price of near $25000. A US model Limited with far more equipment inc leather, V6, ABS, SC, alloys, 5sp auto, etc., etc., can be bought for under $21000 US and the warranty crosses into Canada. So, for less than the base model here, I can import, with warranty, a loaded model from the US. I pity the Hyundai dealers running stores anywhere near the borders.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
25 upvotes
With this wonderful thread. You just have to pity the insipid Canadian car dealers who have had it good for too long. It takes more elbow grease to get what you want from America but it's worth it in the end. Aren't they suppose to be lowering prices to adjust with the new dollar exchange rate? What jerks.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
Anessa wrote:With this wonderful thread. You just have to pity the insipid Canadian car dealers who have had it good for too long. It takes more elbow grease to get what you want from America but it's worth it in the end. Aren't they suppose to be lowering prices to adjust with the new dollar exchange rate? What jerks.
hold it! within seconds, I predict someone will come on and whine that the Canadian Dealers can't lower the prices by themselves.
Mar 27, 2005
72 posts
9 upvotes
I don't think that the Hyundai USA warranty is good in Canada. What leads you to belive this?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Warranty transferability merits a completely dedicated thread.

There have been and still are various class action lawsuit in the US and in Europe naming many of the major auto manufacturers with collusion and various other offences relating to their attempt to stop the importation of vehicles.

Overall, the car manufacturers are powerless to stop the export/importation of vehicles and can be heavily fined for even attempting to hamper free trade.

From the NAATA.org website:

"Vehicle manufacturers have been prosecuted by antitrust and competition regulators and have been sued in the courts for trying to prevent the sale of cross-border vehicles".

http://www.naata.org/new%20files/courts.html
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2236 posts
295 upvotes
North Vancouver
Prof wrote:Just looked through the Driving section of the paper. Hyundai has an ad featuring several of their cars. The base 2007 Sonata GL (no longer available Stateside btw) is actually $1400 more than last year's price. What are these guys thinking? Add to that around $1400 for freight and PDI and you've got an asking price of near $25000. A US model Limited with far more equipment inc leather, V6, ABS, SC, alloys, 5sp auto, etc., etc., can be bought for under $21000 US and the warranty crosses into Canada. So, for less than the base model here, I can import, with warranty, a loaded model from the US. I pity the Hyundai dealers running stores anywhere near the borders.
I fully agreed with you, Canada dealer just sucks, especially Toyota dealer in BC, they even don't want to bargin the price. Compared to states, you can get a quote from everywhere, then after few e-mail competition, your deal are done.