Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1051 posts
30 upvotes
Thornhill
fulrach wrote: Hey Guys,

I've been reading this thread for the past 6 months on a daily basis...

I've FINALLY decided to take the plunge. Tomorrow I'm calling up Jack @ Manchester to confirm it all the last time and place my deposit on a Tribeca 5seater Ltd.

In any case, I'm getting him to tint my windows too, I've done a couple searches on the forums and in this thread and there's nothing useful mentioned about tint %'s. I did some brief google searches too and came up with 30% tint being acceptable in Ontario. I've read the 'law' on it and know it's already sketchy and doesn't say any specific %, only that you must be able to see the driver.

What I'm asking is: "What is a standard factory tint?" In my experience, the rear windows are normally darker than the driver/passenger ones. Anyone know what % these are? The search I just did on the forums came up with someone being charged for 18% which got me worried and made me post this. Yes, I know 18% is darker than 30%... just curious what the 'standard' is :)

Any feedback would be appreciated before the morning when I commit to this.

Thanks!
I believe it's 35% for driver and passenger windows in Ontario. However I cannot guarantee this. You may check out with http://www.fxauto.com. I did my tinting there. My rear windows are 20%, which is dark enough for me. You could go for 15% if you want it to be really dark.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2979 posts
721 upvotes
GoodDeal wrote: I'm selling a 2008 Subaru I purchased in US... and this is the email I received from Ottawa Ogilvie Motors (Subaru) dealership:

"Just so you know, $37800 from a dealer all taxes/fees included, also including full warranty coverage in Canada with 3 years roadside assistance, including 2.9% financing at 5 years, and including a resale value because it is a Canadian car. You might want to inform anyone who is interested that they won't have much of a resale value because the car was purchsed in the US. If you don't believe me, call any reputable used car lot, and ask them what they would give you for a car purchsed in the US then brought to Canada. It'll be little or nothing."
I have no intentions of buying a Subaru only because I want something more fuel efficient, however this kind of behaviour pi$$es me off :evil: and I encourage everyone in the Ottawa area to pay them a visit this week and educate them about the "correct" price that any Canadian can obtain a Subaru for in the US and shoot holes in every "counter-argument" they try to pass off as "truth" and tell them politely but loud enough for any adjacent shoppers that it's not a really smart sales tactic to spread fear and false information. :twisted:
Nov 6, 2007
2 posts
After spending weeks trying to find a Sprinter with the right configuration and spending way to much time reading this forum, I decided I would get a broker to buy a Sprinter for me. We had found a vehicle and was about to close the deal when I got this email.

The Chrysler Corporation has immediately banned the sale of all new vehicles in the United States to Canadians. Any dealer who sells a new vehicle either wholesale or retail to anyone for the purpose of export is subject to a $10,000 fine for a first offence and loss of their franchise for repeat offences. There is not a dealer in the US who will sell us this Sprinter. I thought perhaps we could have a US citizen purchase the vehicle for you and then sell it to you as a used vehicle, this won't work either as Chrysler is forcing purchasers to sign a two year no sale for export agreement when they buy the car.

I was going to save $18,000 and put up with no warranty because of the huge savings but Chrysler has taken the hardest line of any of the major manufacturers. I will not but a Sprinter in Canada because I believe they will have to come close to the American price sooner that later. They can rot. :evil:
Has anybody heard of this news?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3579 posts
810 upvotes
I've made my deposit and set a date for pick up. I will post a how-the-day-went detail once I do it along with a list of people to thank.

Questions regarding the Greyhound.

Do I need to book or buy a ticket in advance ?

Can I just buy at the Union station counter and expect a ticket ? Also, I've read conflicting info about US customs not letting people in if they don't buy a two-way ticket since I really only need a one-way.

thanks
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Aug 15, 2007
22 posts
Gibsons, British Col…
doctordundurn wrote: Howdy all

long time follower new poster - yesterday drove to ohio and brought back my brand new 2007 toyota tundra. When i got to US customs at the lewiston bridge they did not have the fax copy of the title that the toyota dealer sent I didn't phone and confirm (my mistake). Anyways I took a chance and crossed the border into canada and once through the process without problem. My question is should i go back in 72 hours and with the vehicle, cross the border and present it to US customs - what do you guys think. any problems if i don't ?
Register in Canada and don't worry about US Customs unless you have problems registering (very unlikely).
Wild
Unterwegs!
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2871 posts
756 upvotes
tkl wrote: I've made my deposit and set a date for pick up. I will post a how-the-day-went detail once I do it along with a list of people to thank.

Can I just buy at the Union station counter and expect a ticket ? Also, I've read conflicting info about US customs not letting people in if they don't buy a two-way ticket since I really only need a one-way.

thanks
I think you're referring to the Bus station at Bay and Dundas, unless they have buses out from Union. Anyhow, you can try and purchase your ticket at the last minute, and hope they're are seats left. When I went, I purchased a week ahead of time, just in case. Bus left at 8:15 got there at 12:00ish due to the wait at the border. I bought a one way fare and showed them at the border what I was doing (importing a car) but if you read the ticket stub, it states that you can be denied entry with a one way ticket, so it's up to you. Good Luck!
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2871 posts
756 upvotes
bradner wrote: Does anyone know a website that details whats req'd to import a car that a few years old?

I was wondering if a used car (say 2002 or newer) had to stay in the US for the same 72hrs as new cars do among other things.

Thanks
yes, the same 72 hours still applies for paperwork.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3579 posts
810 upvotes
yyz2hkg wrote: I think you're referring to the Bus station at Bay and Dundas, unless they have buses out from Union. Anyhow, you can try and purchase your ticket at the last minute, and hope they're are seats left. When I went, I purchased a week ahead of time, just in case. Bus left at 8:15 got there at 12:00ish due to the wait at the border. I bought a one way fare and showed them at the border what I was doing (importing a car) but if you read the ticket stub, it states that you can be denied entry with a one way ticket, so it's up to you. Good Luck!
Great thanks. I'm not sure where the greyhound leaves from, I just assumed Union but haven't checked it out yet.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Jan 29, 2007
660 posts
90 upvotes
I was interested in getting either the FX35/M35. Personally I like the FX35, but wife likes the smoother M.

I noticed that all the cars I saw in online inventory at dealerships had VIN starting with an alphabet, which means that it will be subject to an extra 6.1% duty.
Am I correct in assuming that all Nissans & Infinitis will be subject to the 6.1% duty?

Thx
Feb 17, 2004
761 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
I just got back from my importing trip. I traveled down to Buffalo via bus and was planning to buy a 1way ticket as well. After reading up on stories of people being refused entry and such, I bought a return ticket just in case. I traveled via Coach Canada instead of Greyhound. The unused portion can be refunded at the bus station.

When i got to the border, the US customs person asked whether I had a 1way or 2 way ticket and wanted to see my ticket even though I told him I was going down to export a car and drive it up. Dunno if it helped whether I bought a return ticket or not, but at least it offered some peace of mind. I really needed to get into the country to import my car that day, so spending the extra $23 so that the customs officer knows that I'm planning to return is fair enough for me.

tkl wrote: I've made my deposit and set a date for pick up. I will post a how-the-day-went detail once I do it along with a list of people to thank.

thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2871 posts
756 upvotes
overboost wrote: I just got back from my importing trip. I traveled down to Buffalo via bus and was planning to buy a 1way ticket as well. After reading up on stories of people being refused entry and such, I bought a return ticket just in case. I traveled via Coach Canada instead of Greyhound. The unused portion can be refunded at the bus station.

When i got to the border, the US customs person asked whether I had a 1way or 2 way ticket and wanted to see my ticket even though I told him I was going down to export a car and drive it up. Dunno if it helped whether I bought a return ticket or not, but at least it offered some peace of mind. I really needed to get into the country to import my car that day, so spending the extra $23 so that the customs officer knows that I'm planning to return is fair enough for me.
You're absolutly right...I would've done the same and bought a return ticket for peace of mind for the extra $23. It didn't cross my mind at that time and this thread wasn't almost 500 + pages long last Oct 2006.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3579 posts
810 upvotes
overboost wrote: I just got back from my importing trip. I traveled down to Buffalo via bus and was planning to buy a 1way ticket as well. After reading up on stories of people being refused entry and such, I bought a return ticket just in case. I traveled via Coach Canada instead of Greyhound. The unused portion can be refunded at the bus station.

Alright thanks, I'll keep that in mind and check out Coach Canada as well.
Heatware 3-0
Apr 11, 2007
2 posts
How do you arrange for insurance on a car bought in US to bring it into Canada (Ontario). I called three brokers and all told me that they cannot insure the vehicle unless it is registered in Canada.
Oct 1, 2007
31 posts
Toronto
RRKnight wrote: Anybody have the border information in Windsor/Detroit/Michican?
The whole area on the south side of the bridge is one big construction site.
Enter at 23th St. of Fort St. it is just a gravel road right now and easy to miss.
You will come to an automatic gate. go to the left and park at the 4 portable toilets. The cargo office is the second building on the right (east)
Oct 31, 2007
67 posts
sujat wrote: I was interested in getting either the FX35/M35. Personally I like the FX35, but wife likes the smoother M.

I noticed that all the cars I saw in online inventory at dealerships had VIN starting with an alphabet, which means that it will be subject to an extra 6.1% duty.
Am I correct in assuming that all Nissans & Infinitis will be subject to the 6.1% duty?

Thx
the cars manufactured outside of NA will be subjected 6.1% duty.
please also note that US FX35 manufactured after Sept 1, 2007 is listed inadmissible by Transport Canada. check here
http://ataleoftwoprices.com/default.aspx?ModelID=142
Compare car prices between U.S. and Canada at www.ATaleofTwoPrices.com
Oct 21, 2007
102 posts
2 upvotes
Sprinterman wrote: After spending weeks trying to find a Sprinter with the right configuration and spending way to much time reading this forum, I decided I would get a broker to buy a Sprinter for me. We had found a vehicle and was about to close the deal when I got this email.

The Chrysler Corporation has immediately banned the sale of all new vehicles in the United States to Canadians. Any dealer who sells a new vehicle either wholesale or retail to anyone for the purpose of export is subject to a $10,000 fine for a first offence and loss of their franchise for repeat offences. There is not a dealer in the US who will sell us this Sprinter. I thought perhaps we could have a US citizen purchase the vehicle for you and then sell it to you as a used vehicle, this won't work either as Chrysler is forcing purchasers to sign a two year no sale for export agreement when they buy the car.

I was going to save $18,000 and put up with no warranty because of the huge savings but Chrysler has taken the hardest line of any of the major manufacturers. I will not but a Sprinter in Canada because I believe they will have to come close to the American price sooner that later. They can rot. :evil:
Has anybody heard of this news?
I made some inquiries, will let you know response.
There are a number of Sprinter forums as you probably know. One that is useful is in YAHOO Groups named Sprintervan. It is possible that this edict is confined to border states. Although Chrysler seems to be hostile to Canadians across the product line. As my dear departed mother used to say "shooting would be too good for them slow hanging would be more appropriate.
Nov 10, 2005
272 posts
34 upvotes
How are they allowed doing that to people? I thought it was a free trade agreement.

Are there any automakers that will sell in the U.S to canadians?

I wish prices in Canada would fall so we don't have to purchase in the U.S but I think we all know everything is a scam.
Nov 6, 2007
2 posts
Dreyfus wrote: I made some inquiries, will let you know response.
There are a number of Sprinter forums as you probably know. One that is useful is in YAHOO Groups named Sprintervan. It is possible that this edict is confined to border states. Although Chrysler seems to be hostile to Canadians across the product line. As my dear departed mother used to say "shooting would be too good for them slow hanging would be more appropriate.
This dealer was had picked out three vehicles in Nevada that he has dealt with lots of time and they have told him no way. Nevada is a long way to the border.
Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
bolec59700 wrote: How do you arrange for insurance on a car bought in US to bring it into Canada (Ontario). I called three brokers and all told me that they cannot insure the vehicle unless it is registered in Canada.
Don't tell them the car is in the US. :D
Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
setell wrote: Is the 2007 WRX STI hard to find new? My bf is looking to import a new STI within the next couple of months (holding for lower GST and possibly better exchange rate :cheesygri ) so I've been following the thread a lot lately. I haven't started contacting dealers to see if we can get our hands in a new STI in Jan/Feb 2008 yet. Have you started contacting dealers?
Pretty much can assure you that the 07 WRX stis will be gone by January.
Having a VERY hard time sourcing them for people right now.. There are still a few out there, but nobody will trade them anymore for the most part.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)