Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4689 posts
811 upvotes
SK
sujat wrote: I was interested in getting either the FX35/M35. Personally I like the FX35, but wife likes the smoother M.

I noticed that all the cars I saw in online inventory at dealerships had VIN starting with an alphabet, which means that it will be subject to an extra 6.1% duty.
Am I correct in assuming that all Nissans & Infinitis will be subject to the 6.1% duty?

Thx
No not all.
All Infiniti's except the QX56 are built in Japan. The QX56 is built in the USA so no 6.1% duty.
Nissan are built all other the place including and not limited to USA and Mexico.
Here is a list from June 6th, 7007 posted by a4toronto:
a4toronto wrote: here's the list of cars made in the USA by "import" manufacturers:
canadian or mexico manuf cars are not listed:

Acura TL
shopper-X
Dec 23, 2006
27 posts
Going to be in Florida next week and have talked to a dealer who will sell a new X5, as long as I use my friends US address. I will have to pay the Florida state tax. Would I still need the clearance letter to bring it back to Canada? If I do get it, what other issues might I forsee to get it across the border.
Feb 17, 2004
760 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Exactly like he said... follow the directions below. Keep an eye out for a sign that says "US Border and Customs Cargo Inspection facility" or something like that. That's where you need to turn into.

I just imported my car on Monday at the Fort Street Cargo Facility. It was my first time driving through Detroit and the area around Fort street is really, really bad. It's not an area you want to be driving through at night.

toolman wrote: The whole area on the south side of the bridge is one big construction site.
Enter at 23th St. of Fort St. it is just a gravel road right now and easy to miss.
You will come to an automatic gate. go to the left and park at the 4 portable toilets. The cargo office is the second building on the right (east)
Jan 2, 2007
306 posts
3 upvotes
toolman wrote: The whole area on the south side of the bridge is one big construction site.
Enter at 23th St. of Fort St. it is just a gravel road right now and easy to miss.
You will come to an automatic gate. go to the left and park at the 4 portable toilets. The cargo office is the second building on the right (east)
Thanks for the help. It's been a long time since I went this way (re: Fort St) and it was a really run-down area. Definitely not want to go there at night with a brand spanking new car. The signs there are horrible, even inside the compound. Just go where all the truckers are going with their paperwork ... line up and make sure you have all your paperwork in order.

If you have time on your side, and are hungry -- you can check out Mexicantown right near that area. Food there is fantastic since it's as authentic as you're gonna get this close to Canada (I've only had better Mexican food in Texas ...)
How do you arrange for insurance on a car bought in US to bring it into Canada (Ontario). I called three brokers and all told me that they cannot insure the vehicle unless it is registered in Canada.
Where you buying from? Usually, you fax the bill of sale to your local insurance company and it's insured from your Ontario agent. (Agent needs the VIN from the car and when you will take possession of the car to initiate coverage...)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5867 posts
1923 upvotes
Ottawa
vim wrote: Article about how somebody imported Civic and now has problem registering:
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... 6b&k=86936
Interesting ... I'd be curious to know how this works out so keep us updated if you hear of any development.

The only issue here is that the buyer purchased a car that was never on the approved list; I can only imagine how frustrating it is since technically there's probably no reason it shouldn't be allowed (i.e. it's the same as 07) but it's not nearly as bad as people who buy a car that was ok (e.g. 08 Sienna) only to find out that all of a sudden it's not ok anymore specifically because of the immobilizer (pre Sept2007 08 Siennas are fine but post Sept2007 08 Siennas aren't (exact same model, exact same year). He can argue that the Civic hasn't changed since 07 but technically the 08 has never been admissible.)
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1051 posts
30 upvotes
Thornhill
michelb wrote: Interesting ... I'd be curious to know how this works out so keep us updated if you hear of any development.

The only issue here is that the buyer purchased a car that was never on the approved list; I can only imagine how frustrating it is since technically there's probably no reason it shouldn't be allowed (i.e. it's the same as 07) but it's not nearly as bad as people who buy a car that was ok (e.g. 08 Sienna) only to find out that all of a sudden it's not ok anymore specifically because of the immobilizer (pre Sept2007 08 Siennas are fine but post Sept2007 08 Siennas aren't (exact same model, exact same year). He can argue that the Civic hasn't changed since 07 but technically the 08 has never been admissible.)
That's the problem here. Why is it up to the manufacturer to decide whether the car is admissible here? How about letting the drug companies to decide whether a drug is safe?
Jan 2, 2007
306 posts
3 upvotes
Tender wrote: That's the problem here. Why is it up to the manufacturer to decide whether the car is admissible here? How about letting the drug companies to decide whether a drug is safe?
Difference with drugs is that it is government regulated. Manufacturers have to do a battery of tests to prove effectiveness as well as safety.

Cars -- self-regulated. The manufacturer tells RIV what is admissible. That's it. Usually crash test data submitted to the Dept of Transport (DOT) in US is what Transport Canada considers equivalent. Honda has chosen a loop-hole with the immobilizer as their "inadmissibility" ticket. As the Ottawa Citizen article said, the immobilizer on the 08 Civic is the same as the 07 model ... yet Honda has informed RIV that the models made past Sept 2007 do not meet standard. RIV is not going to test it and compare... they are going to take the word of the manufacturer.
May 30, 2006
296 posts
13 upvotes
Tender wrote: That's the problem here. Why is it up to the manufacturer to decide whether the car is admissible here? How about letting the drug companies to decide whether a drug is safe?
Here's the answer for TC, btw they don't care....they mandate is to make sure that cars on the road meet standards..that's it:
Thank you for contacting Transport Canada Road Safety Directorate.

The explanation or technical data on why a vehicle is not certified for Canada by the manufacturer can only be obtained from the said manufacturer. The safety standards that the specific class of vehicle must meet are the same for all manufacturers. The ability to prove that a vehicle can comply to our standards is the responsibility of the manufacturer. If they wish they can submit a list of US compliant vehicles that they are prepared to certify as also being Canadian Compliant to Transport Canada. Upon review and approval these vehicles can be added to our list of vehicles admissible from the United States, making the importation process easier. The information we receive from the manufacturers on US certified vehicles is strictly done on a volunteer basis and is a tool only, to be used by the importer and administered for us by the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.

Thank you,

Information Centre/Centre d'information

Transport(s) Canada

Road Safety/S
Nov 4, 2007
16 posts
If health Canada operated the same way as Transport Canada we would all be dead or close to it....
Nov 4, 2007
16 posts
michelb wrote: Interesting ... I'd be curious to know how this works out so keep us updated if you hear of any development.

The issue is that the process is relatively straight forward. The issue is that Canadian Manufacturers are being protected by the rules governing Transport Canada. Everyone new about the Immobilizer issue,,, This is just a scam to gouge Canadians,.. supported by our Govt. I hope it brings out more stories..
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1190 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal
HondaSucks wrote: If health Canada operated the same way as Transport Canada we would all be dead or close to it....

Read "Honda's Philosohy"

http://www.honda.ca/HondaCorp/en/about1 ... NavIndex=1

How arrogant of them.

I will never ever ever buy a Honda brand in my life.

HONDA PHILOSOPHY:

It begins with Respect for the Individual. This comes from a fundamental belief that the Human Being is born with the capacity to think, reason and create and that at Honda we should strive to nurture and support these unique characteristics. How? By encouraging Initiative. By treating all individuals with Equality. By building a company that fosters Trust. At Honda, we believe that every interaction we have with our customers, dealers and fellow Associates should reflect this philosophy.

With this Respect we work together to better serve our customers with what we call The Three Joys.

Every person who comes in contact with a Honda should feel joy as a result.

By getting a product that exceeds their expectations, our customers experience the Joy of Buying.

By forming meaningful relationships with customers and servicing excellent products, our dealers experience the Joy of Selling.

And, by making innovative products that surpass customer expectations, our associates experience the Joy of Creating.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1051 posts
30 upvotes
Thornhill
scouzi wrote: ...HONDA PHILOSOPHY:

...by making innovative products that surpass customer expectations, our associates experience the Joy of Creating.
by finding the ways (through innovation) to block Canadians from buying in the U.S., our company experiences the Joy of Gouging customers.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1262 upvotes
Sauga
[QUOTE]HONDA PHILOSOPHY:

It begins with Respect for the Individual. This comes from a fundamental belief that the Human Being is born with the capacity to think, reason and create and that at Honda we should strive to nurture and support these unique characteristics. How? By encouraging Initiative. By treating all individuals with Equality. By building a company that fosters Trust. At Honda, we believe that every interaction we have with our customers, dealers and fellow Associates should reflect this philosophy.[/QUOTE] Wow. Their sales practices are totally opposite to this "philosophy".
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1190 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal
Tender wrote: by finding the ways (through innovation) to block Canadians from buying in the U.S., our company experiences the Joy of Gouging customers.
And we stupid Canadians are subsidizing this.

They are selling cars built in Canada at a higher price. These cars are subsidized by our own taxes!
Jan 2, 2007
306 posts
3 upvotes
scouzi wrote: And we stupid Canadians are subsidizing this.

They are selling cars built in Canada at a higher price. These cars are subsidized by our own taxes!
^ How many cars do they sell in the US? How many jobs (direct and indirect) has Honda provided Ontario? The hand out by Ontario is far less than the trickle-down of jobs Honda provides (and will provide with the new plants they are building in Ontario). So ... I would be more pissed if I lived outside of Ontario.

I understand why people are infuriated by Honda's import policies but I will not bite the hand that feeds many Ontarians. Just buy something else or wait until their pricing strategy falls in line with other car manufacturers.
Oct 9, 2007
71 posts
Montrea;
RIV updated their list today. This is second time in two days. At first glance I cannot see what changes were made.
Dec 3, 2006
220 posts
14 upvotes
I just read that Ottawa Citizen report....unbelievable!

I am ashamed to say, i own an Acura.

Great thread!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3262 posts
686 upvotes
I am negotiating to purchase a 2007 Cadillac (because it is on the list - I'd prefer a 2008, but it isn't importable for some reason . . . if you know what I mean.

The sales rep says that 2 days ago GM raised the price of the recall certification letter from $25 to $275.

Further Canadians cannot participate in the 'Cadillac Certified' program that extends the base warranty by 2 years and the mileange by 50,000 miles - all for $1,000. On a C$70,000 very high tech Cadillac, this is a no-brainer. You want it . . .

So GM is a strong participant in the drive to keep us Canadians buying up here . . . .