Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
sheriffabc wrote: Great Avatar diigii!! Thanks for all your help!
Thanks!!! You love it, eh? It took me about 15 mins and a lot of takes from my digital camera to get the perfect light. This was taken after I waxed the car, one week after I took my car home.

How's your new car?? Take it easy on that new car smell! :D
Nov 3, 2007
14 posts
dotcalamitie wrote: I just heard that Acura MDX 2007 can be purchased for $11,000 off list. And 2008 $9,000 off list. Canadian. True? I can't find supporting data online for this.
Once again, the price reductions come close but definitely not close enough. The savings on an Acura MDX are at least $15,000. So even with a $9,000 price reduction, there is still a $6,000 gap.

Check this post out to see how someone saved big time on a 2008 Acura MDX

http://borderdeals.ca/2007/11/04/my-bor ... acura-mdx/

The above person purchased before the vehicle showed up on the inadmissible column. Now there is no way getting a 2008 MDX through RIV since they placed it on the inadmissible column.
Nov 3, 2007
90 posts
I wrote them on Monday :) good thing they keep on writing, too bad he did not expose those "Sweeteners" as sour pills of doodoo droppings that don't put a dent into the price discrepancy between the two countries.
diigii wrote: This is from Global TV's website. CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE CANADIANS WHO STOOD UP TO WHO'VE SAID ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND LET THEIR OPINIONS BE KNOWN TO THE AUTOMAKERS' CANADIAN SUBSIDIARIES! THOSE ARE DOLLAR$$$ NOT COMING TO THESE GOUGERS ANYMORE! I LOVE IT!!! :cheesygri

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/fina ... 55&k=70076

Cross-border car shopping in overdrive
Nicolas Van Praet, Financial Post
Published: Thursday, November 08, 2007

The number of vehicles being bought in the United States by Canadians has exploded since the loonie shot even with the U.S. dollar, new figures show, even as a growing number of carmakers here dangle cash goodies to buyers to prevent cross-border shopping.

Canadians imported 24,873 vehicles north in October alone, according to figures provided this week by the North American Automobile Trade Association, a trade group of vehicle importers and exporters. That's a 68% increase from September, when the loonie matched the greenback for the first time since 1976.

Last year marked the first time more than 100,000 vehicles headed north. This year, imports have already surpassed 136,000 units and are on pace to hit a new record of 164,000.

"I suspect there is an added psychological boost in having a dollar that trades at par," said Brian Osler, president of NAATA. "After rounding or approximating numbers, consumers probably feel a little more confident in comparing prices." His comments came Thursday as the Canadian dollar lost some ground, sliding to US$1.068 after piercing past US$1.10 Wednesday.

In the context of the overall Canadian auto industry and based on 2006 results, this year's record imports would represent barely 4% of all new and used vehicles sold nationwide. It's clear, therefore, that the vast majority of Canadians are still buying at home, unwilling to go through any hassle and content with the deals they're getting locally.

The best cross-border deals to be had, based strictly on list prices, are for luxury vehicles. Sports cars can sell for $14,000 more in Canada than in the United States. It's not surprising then, that Porsche dealers in Canada were among the first to express their outrage at losing customers to U.S. dealers. In late September, Porsche dropped its prices on new models by an average of 8% in response.

But the perception that consumers are being somehow ripped off by car manufacturers and other companies in Canada has become a wider public issue. Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Finance Minister Jim Flaherty have called on Canadian retailers to lower prices in the face of the soaring dollar. That has ratcheted up the pressure on car companies and their dealers to act in a more obvious way, even though many were already offering attractive incentives and better lease and financing deals than their U.S. peers.

Chrysler Canada, BMW Canada, and Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc. are all among the automakers that have offered extra cash sweeteners to buyers in the past month. General Motors of Canada Ltd., the country's biggest automaker, joined them yesterday, announcing it will offer new cash incentives of between $1,500 and $10,000 on select vehicles including heavy-duty pickup trucks and 2008 Saab models.

"This is really getting on the radar screen for all the manufacturers," said Chris Travell, vice-president of Maritz Automotive Research. "It's not just a flash in the pan. The product planners and so on are looking at their cost structure to see how they're going to respond."

Some dealers specializing in cross-border sales, as well as some buyers, are livid over new federal safety standards that came into effect Sept. 1 requiring all new passenger vehicles imported into Canada to have an approved anti-theft immobilization system. Confusion over the new regulation and which cars meet the standard has resulted in a number of popular vehicles being tagged "inadmissible" for use here by Transport Canada.
Nov 6, 2007
33 posts
1 upvote
Hi guys,

I've read most of the thread and I still have many questions. I apologize for the quantity of them, I'm sure a couple were answered in here somewhere :)

1)Does Nissan currently issue recall letters without much hassle? What is needed besides the VIN to acquire one? How long does it typically take to get one issued? Would I get the letter from Nissan Canada or Nissan USA?

2)Can I avoid paying state sales tax in Ohio? If so, is there a form or a website that I can print out and show the dealer in case they are not aware of this? If they don't believe it is it possible to apply for a tax refund at the border?

3)What plates do I use for the car in the US? When do I change them to Canadian plates? Is this done at the border? (either at US customs or Canadian customs)

4)How do I get the car insured while it is in the US? When I purchase the car is it immediately registered to myself at a Canadian address, or is this final registration done at the border?

5)Exactly what documentation needs to be submitted to US customs 72 hrs beforehand? Does this need to be submitted in person? Can this be done before the car is purchased or does this requirement effectively mean two trips to the US (or one 72 hr stay)

Thanks a lot!
Oct 31, 2007
67 posts
diigii wrote: This is from Global TV's website. CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE CANADIANS WHO STOOD UP TO WHO'VE SAID ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND LET THEIR OPINIONS BE KNOWN TO THE AUTOMAKERS' CANADIAN SUBSIDIARIES! THOSE ARE DOLLAR$$$ NOT COMING TO THESE GOUGERS ANYMORE! I LOVE IT!!! :cheesygri

Some dealers specializing in cross-border sales, as well as some buyers, are livid over new federal safety standards that came into effect Sept. 1 requiring all new passenger vehicles imported into Canada to have an approved anti-theft immobilization system. Confusion over the new regulation and which cars meet the standard has resulted in a number of popular vehicles being tagged "inadmissible" for use here by Transport Canada.
Great news!! thanks for sharing
Compare car prices between U.S. and Canada at www.ATaleofTwoPrices.com
Oct 20, 2007
44 posts
alberta
When I crossed this morning, the Canadian Border Services agents were all young HOTTIES !!!

Might have been good timing, but damn, that sure helps reduce the stress when you're waiting for them to triple check the latest RIV list.

Also, two young guys didn't declare a trailer. Didn't hear the details but the agent turned serious very fast (still hot however), called in other agents, and had the guys empty their pockets and get ready for a search. These two are #%@ royally. Declare or enter a world of pain and legal fees.
Nov 7, 2007
22 posts
toronto
I was going to buy in the states but ended up buying local.

07 Ridgeline EX-L almost $6000 off list price and I took the 0.9%/4yrs lease rate. I'm content with this as I almost bought this exact vehicle last year and would have been over $10K in the hole if I had.
Nov 7, 2007
23 posts
Lost Horizon wrote: In the reliability and satisfaction arena, Subaru's are ranked above Honda (Legacy compared to an Accord). We have done the same thing.. switched form 15 years of Honda's to our very first Subaru... I love it. On gas mileage, the honda was a bit better, but then the Honda is not an all wheel drive. The Subaru, on the other hand, better than my BMW 335..

Honda Accord ranking

Subaru Legacy Ranking

Thanks for the info LH, much appreciated. It's a big change and I want to be sure before I make it. This info will definitely help with my decision, thanks again.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1262 upvotes
Sauga
endura wrote: I was going to buy in the states but ended up buying local.

07 Ridgeline EX-L almost $6000 off list price and I took the 0.9%/4yrs lease rate. I'm content with this as I almost bought this exact vehicle last year and would have been over $10K in the hole if I had.
South of the border, the 2008 Ridgeline RTL sells for CA$27k ($13k less than in Canada?). But considering 1) the sales and warranty restrictions Honda has put in place, 2) your choice of leasing instead of buying, and 3) the great rate you got...I can see why you chose to get it locally.

Too bad it's mostly on 2007 models that many of the manufacturers are offering the "incentives". Wouldn't the discounts be almost as much for these year-old vehicles even if they weren't claiming to compete with US prices?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
endura wrote: I was going to buy in the states but ended up buying local.

Hmmm,
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11396 posts
4506 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
Anyone thinking of buying a 2008 Honda or Toyota in the US better read this story: http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/n ... dfc65d7e46

It appears that Honda and Toyota are trying to put a stop to cross border car shopping.

[QUOTE]Lamb bought his car Oct. 2 at a U.S. dealer for $21,145 U.S. - a net saving of about $5,500 Canadian compared with dealer prices north of the border.

Weeks later, on Oct. 29, he got a nasty surprise: His Civic was declared by federal authorities as inadmissible to Canada, apparently on Honda's instructions.

Other 2008 Honda and Toyota passenger cars have also been declared inadmissible:

By Toyota, 2008 models of the Yaris Hatchback, Corolla, Prius and Matrix.

By Honda, all of its 2008 passenger cars other than the 2008 Acura TSX, TL, RL and Honda S2000.[/QUOTE]
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1262 upvotes
Sauga
CheapScotsman wrote: But your financed it so according to their financial calculator

$7,381.56 Paid on delivery
$20523.36 Paid monthly over 48 months
$19044.4 Paid at the end
$46949.32 Total Payments
$6000 of that "Paid on delivery" amount is his discount, so you should take that out of the Total Payments. So it's about $41k....

If he had bought in the US and financed it through a local bank:
$27500 -- 2008 Ridgeline RTL + delivery fee (according to carsdirect.com)
$2200 -- 8% state tax (because a US resident would have to buy it and register it first)
$1650 -- 6% GST
$2200 -- 8% Ontario PST
$500 -- various costs to import
$34050 -- Total cost

Finance that $34k at 8% over 48 months, and you're looking at $818 per month. Total payments over 48 months: $39264. That's a saving of only $2k, and there's no warranty on the imported Honda. Not really worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
Rehan wrote: $6000 of that "Paid on delivery" amount is his discount, so you should take that out of the Total Payments. So it's about $41k....

If he had bought in the US and financed it through a local bank:
$27500 -- 2008 Ridgeline RTL + delivery fee (according to carsdirect.com)
$2200 -- 8% state tax (because a US resident would have to buy it and register it first)
$1650 -- 6% GST
$2200 -- 8% Ontario PST
$500 -- various costs to import
$34050 -- Total cost

Finance that $34k at 8% over 48 months, and you're looking at $818 per month. Total payments over 48 months: $39264. That's a saving of only $2k, and there's no warranty on the imported Honda. Not really worth it.
I already factored the 6k discount by making a downpayment. The resultant numbers are what was left.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1262 upvotes
Sauga
CheapScotsman wrote: I already factored the 6k discount by making a downpayment. The resultant numbers are what was left.
But on their calculator the down payment gets lumped into the "Paid on delivery" amount.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
So I reran it again ... and you are right. Total least payments would be about $41,200 ... and you are right again if you have to finance it
Jan 4, 2006
277 posts
9 upvotes
newlegacyowner wrote: Darn right not best price. And they charge you 350$ for the "sending someone to the border".

I saved over 1200$ buying from Xan in Manchester.
He's charging 350$ but he does all the legwork, bringing papers to the US border etc... I dont even have to meet him until I pickup the car (If I choose to not see the car before buying lol)

I thought 350$ was worth it to not have to go to the US twice and do all this back and forth.

Marc
Oct 9, 2007
71 posts
Montrea;
Animeka wrote: He's charging 350$ but he does all the legwork, bringing papers to the US border etc... I dont even have to meet him until I pickup the car (If I choose to not see the car before buying lol)

I thought 350$ was worth it to not have to go to the US twice and do all this back and forth.

Marc
Not a bad profit margin. Charge $350 to send papers to border by FEDEX which charges him $25 at the most.
A bit of advice ---do not go into business for yourself
Oct 21, 2007
24 posts
scouzi wrote: In my case there was about $500 diff between them and Manchester. To me it was worth it since the Vermont border crossing requires a physical delivery of the title - at least that what they say the rules are when you call.

They also gave me free window etching for what it's worth.

How did you get your info to the US border? Was it faxed, courried or manually delivered? Wich border crossing did you use?
Xan overnighted me the forms, which i then took to the US border @ Lacolle/Champlain (close) then I drove to Manchester taking the border crossing at Rock Island highway 55, and then drove back up the 89/87 to lacolle. No problems and pretty to drive too. 500$ is 50$ an hour for your trouble. Worth it in my case.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1191 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal
Animeka wrote: He's charging 350$ but he does all the legwork, bringing papers to the US border etc... I dont even have to meet him until I pickup the car (If I choose to not see the car before buying lol)

Marc

As for me , I don't really know how much Burlington Subaru "charged" me .I asked for an all inclusive price from everyone.

I knew that the Tribeca had been sitting there for a few months.

For me also, if the charge was $350 and I'm already saving $18k, an extra $350 for a single trip is well worth it.

Just an extra 3 hour south is 6 hours more for the round trip.

To me $350 to save 6 hours driving (on top of the 5) is a no brainer. But to each is own.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1191 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal
reddy54 wrote: Not a bad profit margin. Charge $350 to send papers to border by FEDEX which charges him $25 at the most.
A bit of advice ---do not go into business for yourself
It wasn't FEDEX. Vermont border crossings do not accept faxes or courrier or mail. The paperwork has to be brought in by a person related to the deal (ie dealership or buying party). That's the answer you get when you call.

Call for yourself for information.

PS - I am in business. An extra day of work is worth more than $350.