Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jan 1, 2007
137 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
joejack wrote: Congrats!!

Can you possibly point me where I can find RIV office. I have been searching their site www.riv.ca and for the world of it, can'g find it. I am going to pickup my car this Thursday and would like to do the form 2 at the riv office rather then online, seems faster, but can't find any of the office locations. I live in Markham ON. (407/McCowan)

On riv site, I found link to TC (transport canada) and they have office locations. Should I be going to transport canada office? I don't think so, but double checking?

Thanks so much for your help.
RIV office - 405 The West Mall, Etobicoke - closes 4:30 PM http://www.riv.ca/english/html/contact_us.html
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
9186 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
Chubien wrote: Champlain is just closer to where I work, I still have to bring the paperwork in person this allows me to do so without taking too much time off.
I am thinking if Manchester Subaru can help to Fedex the paperwork to Chaimplain border for me? If so, can save me a week to pick up the car.

Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Sep 3, 2007
635 posts
63 upvotes
Aurora
Thank you both: superwell and jmlleung.
Jun 1, 2006
721 posts
42 upvotes
Thanks to this thread and everyone that contributed to this thread (especially those who took the time answering my pm's), I am now a proud member of the super saving club: Went to Buffalo last Friday and picked up my Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd w/VDC and a whole load of accessories from Northtown. Jesse Bestine prepared all the paperwork and everything went extremely smoothly. Got the car registered and plated on Saturday. Net saving minimum of $13,000! :lol:
Apr 26, 2006
39 posts
can2000 wrote: I am thinking if Manchester Subaru can help to Fedex the paperwork to Chaimplain border for me? If so, can save me a week to pick up the car.

Thanks

Even if Manchester Subaru is willing to send your title to Champlain. US port still requires the buyer to present in person with their original and copy of the title at the time of registration because they'll give you back your original and stamped copies for you to export your car.

Also, I confirm with Highgate and Derby Line that they require the car to be exported passing their port 8-4 Mon-Fri, not only the 1st time you go for registering your title but also the time you drive through their port with your new car, i.e. no passing with a new car during the weekend. Very important!
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
A few points of interest:

The feds are screwing Canadians on rebates on hybrids. You must purchase your hybrid in Canada to qualify for the federal rebate. To show you how hypocritical this policy is, if you buy a vehicle that is a fuel guzzler from the states, you still must pay the additional new tax that was imposed with the hybrid bill. So, buy a fuel efficient car i the sates, no rebate; buy a fuel pig in the states, pay up. Some provinces have hybrid rebates; Ontario will provide you with a rebate so long as the vehicle has not been registered in the province before.

If you buy in Michigan (Suburban Subaru and Suburban Volvo in Detroit both advertise to Canadians) have them bring the car over, then the MI 6% tax does not apply.

My family purchased new Honda CRVs in 2000, 2002, a new Accord in 1999, and an Acura tsx in 2004. All great cars. But I will NEVER buy from these guys again. I bought a Lexus 2007 hybrid RX400H with 5000 miles in July - no problem importing or with Lexus USA. When the new CRV came out, my Honda dealer called me to test it out - I laughed and thought why get a CRV when I can buy a Lexus instead for the same $? I am banking US$ and am considering Subie Legacy GT Limited or Infiniti G35X.
Jul 16, 2005
305 posts
2 upvotes
Oshawa
Prof wrote: I'm in the last throws of a purchase decision but I'm wondering about timing. If I bought the car in December to complete the transaction but then brought it back after Jan 1, would I pay the 6% or 5% GST? It's an issue of timing the exchange of currency (of only I had done it at $1.10!) and ease of getting away for pickup.

Any tax accountants here? I took the CGA course in another lifetime and career and have no clue.
the border agents will charge you 6% on Dec 31st and 5% after Dec. 31st. They don't care when you bought your car, just when you imported it.
Banned
May 13, 2006
728 posts
ac328 wrote: :lol:

One of the best posts ever. :lol:
Well you can use Jerry Cans and fill up the minivan - then it will "take" more gas than an SUV. But then an SUV can haul a small tank behind it filled with gas.

So dammit - I just don't know which one would take more gas.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1416 posts
145 upvotes
I just successfully imported a new 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport. I was going to get the base model but then realized they don't come with an immobilizer so I upgraded to the Sport (bigger 19" rims and leather seats are nice!) I was still worried because RIV list says:

"2008 RAV4 and Highlander
models, admissible only when
equipped by manufacturer's
optional electronic immobilization
system to comply with CMVSS
114. The importer must provide
RIV with a letter from the
manufacturer stating the vehicle
complies with CMVSS 114
."

Toyota USA told me they've never heard of such a letter and that the recall clearance letter was all I needed. And then Toyota Canada told me RIV has this wrong. It should say that only the 2008 BASE RAV4 and BASE Highlander models require this letter because the sport and limited models come standard with an immobilizer and it's only optional on the base models. Anyways I worried for nothing because the lady at the RIV office never said boo and was happy with just the recall clearance letter. Not sure if I just got lucky or what but I was ready for a big fight. All the RAV4's and Highlander's are made in Japan so the models that end up in Canada or the US both have the same immobilizers!

Anyways I'm very happy with the new redesigned Highlander! The Highlander Sport has an MSRP of $46,200 here before taxes and I got mine for $38,000 AFTER taxes and duty (made in Japan) and that was including the purchase of the extended 84/120 warranty that costs $2200 here and options like the tow prep package, tinted windows, and power rear door. I also liked the option of choosing FWD for better gas mileage, while all the Highlander's here are only available in 4WD.

The process was so easy that I'm getting my parents a 2008 Camry SE now!

If you're presistant and search hard enough you can still find some Toyota dealers willing to sell directly to Canadians for exporting into Canada (don't require a US address), you just have to be willing to go past the border states and drive over 10 hours home. I think I went through about 100 different Toyota dealerships though! lol

If anybody wants to know which dealership I dealt with you can PM me. You'll just have to wait until I finish exporting a new 2008 Camry SE for my parents because I don't want to take the chance of upsetting the apple cart until that goes through smoothly.
Nov 7, 2007
27 posts
Gatineau, QC
Here's my letter to my MP (for members with French speaking MPs)

[QUOTE]Cher Mr. Nadeau,

Je suis r
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1051 posts
30 upvotes
Thornhill
stock_junkie wrote: I just successfully imported a 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport. I was going to get the base model but then realized they don't come with an immobilizer so I upgraded to the Sport (bigger 19" rims and leather seats are nice!) I was still worried because RIV list says:

"2008 RAV4 and Highlander
models, admissible only when
equipped by manufacturer's
optional electronic immobilization
system to comply with CMVSS
114. The importer must provide
RIV with a letter from the
manufacturer stating the vehicle
complies with CMVSS 114
."

Toyota USA told me they've never heard of such a letter and that the recall clearance letter was all I needed. And then Toyota Canada told me RIV has this wrong. It should say that only the 2008 BASE RAV4 and BASE Highlander models require this letter because the sport and limited models come standard with an immobilizer and it's only optional on the base models. Anyways I worried for nothing because the lady at the RIV office never said boo and was happy with just the recall clearance letter. Not sure if I just got lucky or what but I was ready for a big fight. All the RAV4's and Highlander's are made in Japan so the models that end up in Canada or the US both have the same immobilizers!

Anyways I'm very happy with the new redesigned Highlander! The Highlander Sport has an MSRP of $46,200 here before taxes and I got mine for $38,000 AFTER taxes and duty (made in Japan) and that was including the purchase of the extended 84/120 warranty that costs $2200 here and options like the tow prep package, tinted windows, and power rear door. I also liked the option of choosing FWD for better gas mileage, while all the Highlander's here are only available in 4WD.

The process was so easy that I'm getting my parents a 2008 Camry SE now!
Did you get a new one? I thought the U.S. dealers won't sell to Canadians?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1416 posts
145 upvotes
Yep it was new and I didn't require a U.S. address either. If you're presistant and search hard enough you can still find some Toyota dealers willing to sell directly to Canadians for exporting into Canada, you just have to be willing to go past the border states. I think I went through about 100 different Toyota dealerships though! lol

If anybody wants to know which dealership I dealt with you can PM me. You'll just have to wait until I finish exporting a new 2008 Camry SE for my parents because I don't want to take the chance of upsetting the apple cart until that goes through smoothly.

Tender wrote: Did you get a new one? I thought the U.S. dealers won't sell to Canadians?
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
stock_junkie wrote: Yep it was new and I didn't require a U.S. address either. If you're presistant and search hard enough you can still find some Toyota dealers willing to sell directly to Canadians for exporting into Canada, you just have to be willing to go past the border states. I think I went through about 100 different Toyota dealerships! lol
CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW CAR! ENJOY DRIVING AND YOUR SAVINGS! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2465 posts
1153 upvotes
Edmonton
GM dealer's will not sell new vechiles stateside without a US address. So my question. If a friend purchases the bill of sale and the MSO would be stated in HIS address. Without the friend titling the car could friend then make me a bill of sale for exact amount of purchase price. If I send all three of these doc's to US customs as part of the 72 hour wait period is there any reason they would have a problem with this? Has anyone done this? WOuld Canada customs care?

thanks Frank
Oct 9, 2007
71 posts
Montrea;
stock_junkie wrote: Yep it was new and I didn't require a U.S. address either. If you're presistant and search hard enough you can still find some Toyota dealers willing to sell directly to Canadians for exporting into Canada, you just have to be willing to go past the border states. I think I went through about 100 different Toyota dealerships though! lol

Be careful who you give info to because a Toyota rep will probably be one of those pm's
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
stock_junkie wrote: Yep it was new and I didn't require a U.S. address either. If you're presistant and search hard enough you can still find some Toyota dealers willing to sell directly to Canadians for exporting into Canada, you just have to be willing to go past the border states. I think I went through about 100 different Toyota dealerships though! lol

Yeah, remember the 1/100 rules. At least a RFD member for one year and 100 posts.

Anything short of that, the dealer will probably get busted and we are all poorer for that.
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1051 posts
30 upvotes
Thornhill

Congratulatoins! Can't wait for the pictures.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)