Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Nov 20, 2005
75 posts
1 upvote
whampoa wrote: Yeah, remember the 1/100 rules. At least a RFD member for one year and 100 posts.

Anything short of that, the dealer will probably get busted and we are all poorer for that.
Checks post count...rats :o
Nov 8, 2007
11 posts
You might want to check with the sate you are considering. In California, they require you to register the car.
frankmp wrote: GM dealer's will not sell new vechiles stateside without a US address. So my question. If a friend purchases the bill of sale and the MSO would be stated in HIS address. Without the friend titling the car could friend then make me a bill of sale for exact amount of purchase price. If I send all three of these doc's to US customs as part of the 72 hour wait period is there any reason they would have a problem with this? Has anyone done this? WOuld Canada customs care?

thanks Frank
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
reddy54 wrote: Be careful who you give info to because a Toyota rep will probably be one of those pm's
I'm just wondering how these people could sleep at night, knowing their job is part deception.

I believe in karma, though. Their time will come.
Oct 15, 2007
120 posts
2 upvotes
diigii wrote: I'm just wondering how these people could sleep at night, knowing their job is part deception.

I believe in karma, though. Their time will come.

For an experienced and seasoned insight into all that, just call up your local provincial and federal politicians, sheep shearers extrodinaire.
Nov 7, 2007
23 posts
Thanks to Matty for the original format. I just did some wordsmithing and changed a few things but here is my letter sent to my MP and Minister Cannon:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Lake & Minister Cannon,

I reside in the constituency of Edmonton-Millwoods-Beaumont, and I want to express my feelings of outrage at automobile manufacturers, regarding the price discrepancy between cars in Canada and those in the US. You know how much this has been in the news recently, and it won
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
Lost Horizon wrote: For an experienced and seasoned insight into all that, just call up your local provincial and federal politicians, sheep shearers extrodinaire.
Oh yeah, those kinds, I know a long time ago. They all have the same "skin." It's amazing how the "transformation" happens so quickly. Here comes a person who starts out honest, dedicated and compassionate of the people he/she wants to served, but when swept into power the principles that got him/her there gets corrupted. Nothing but lost cause.
Jul 16, 2007
4 posts
frankmp wrote: GM dealer's will not sell new vechiles stateside without a US address. So my question. If a friend purchases the bill of sale and the MSO would be stated in HIS address. Without the friend titling the car could friend then make me a bill of sale for exact amount of purchase price. If I send all three of these doc's to US customs as part of the 72 hour wait period is there any reason they would have a problem with this? Has anyone done this? WOuld Canada customs care?

thanks Frank
Hi Frank,

The really tricky part is to arrange a purchase situation where the dealer can release the MSO without registering the vehicle. I did this by finding a dealer in a different state from my US friend (a dealer that was reasonable driving distance to my home). In the out-of-state situation, the dealer has the option of releasing the car with a temporary permit and the MSO, otherwise they will be forced to collect tax and register the car.

In regards to customs, what I did was to export through US customs under my friends name, listing my name as the "transporter". Once I got to the Canadian side of the border I presented a simple self typed and signed bill of sale, and the MCO in my friends name with the US customs stamp. Using these two items, I was able to start the import process in my own name in Canada. I never provided the typed bill of sale to US customs (they didn't ask for it either), and only sent the MSO and the dealership papers (both in my friends name) for the 72 hour period. The US Customs paperwork also asks for a buyers Canadian address, and for that I used my own address.

The other thing I did was to make sure ahead of time that my local registries agent would know how to process the third party sale with an MCO and not require an out of province inspection or get all confused. I also made sure that my insurance would cover me for the car from the moment I picked it up from the dealer.

Not sure if this is a sure fire, no fail, way of doing things, but it worked for me.

Come to think of it... You might also be able to do this without involving a friend at all. (Get your own mailing address in a US state without income tax and then buying the car in a different state. Anyone try that?).
Jan 17, 2003
620 posts
68 upvotes
BC
OK step 1> I have submitted my loan application to a us auto finance bank.

in hopes to get approved for a new 07 santa fe. I will log the whole process here hopefully I will make it thru step one lol
Nov 8, 2007
61 posts
stock_junkie wrote: I just successfully imported a new 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport. I was going to get the base model but then realized they don't come with an immobilizer so I upgraded to the Sport (bigger 19" rims and leather seats are nice!) I was still worried because RIV list says:

"2008 RAV4 and Highlander
models, admissible only when
equipped by manufacturer's
optional electronic immobilization
system to comply with CMVSS
114. The importer must provide
RIV with a letter from the
manufacturer stating the vehicle
complies with CMVSS 114
."

Toyota USA told me they've never heard of such a letter and that the recall clearance letter was all I needed. And then Toyota Canada told me RIV has this wrong. It should say that only the 2008 BASE RAV4 and BASE Highlander models require this letter because the sport and limited models come standard with an immobilizer and it's only optional on the base models. Anyways I worried for nothing because the lady at the RIV office never said boo and was happy with just the recall clearance letter. Not sure if I just got lucky or what but I was ready for a big fight. All the RAV4's and Highlander's are made in Japan so the models that end up in Canada or the US both have the same immobilizers!

Anyways I'm very happy with the new redesigned Highlander! The Highlander Sport has an MSRP of $46,200 here before taxes and I got mine for $38,000 AFTER taxes and duty (made in Japan) and that was including the purchase of the extended 84/120 warranty that costs $2200 here and options like the tow prep package, tinted windows, and power rear door. I also liked the option of choosing FWD for better gas mileage, while all the Highlander's here are only available in 4WD.

The process was so easy that I'm getting my parents a 2008 Camry SE now!
I am so frigging confused at this point it is not funny...are you allowed to bring this vehicle in without a 114 compliance letter because it was manufactured before Sept. 1 /2007?!?!?!?!?!?

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with an agent from RIV yesterday and he swore on his mother's grave that all Toyota SUVs manufactured after Sept. 1 /2007 were only admissible with a 114 compliance letter....

This is despite the fact that the vehicle I am interested in (2008 Toyota 4Runner) is listed as admissible and there are not notes in the "notes" section saying that a compliance letter is needed for it. There are notes in the "notes" section talking about needing a compliance letter for a rav4 and Highlander but not a 4Runner. WTF is going on?!!!? These RIV agents seem to be giving everybody a different story...BTW: I know for a fact that the 4Runner is made in Japan....

Could you possibly shed some light on my situation? More specifically, could you look at the list and tell me how you interpret the admissibility for the 4Runner...RIV is a mess...they can't get their story straight...

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Confused in Canada...

Cheers
May 23, 2007
62 posts
Toronto
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it. The question is would Canada custom process my US car import without US export documentation?
Maybe those already sucessfully imported their car can answer this. Did Canada custom officers ask to see export document stamped by US counter part?

Thanks in advance for your input
Oct 21, 2007
102 posts
2 upvotes
[quote="the Bez" post_id="5953958" time="1195506835" user_id="124420"]Thanks to Matty for the original format. I just did some wordsmithing and changed a few things but here is my letter sent to my MP and Minister Cannon:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Lake & Minister Cannon,

I reside in the constituency of Edmonton-Millwoods-Beaumont, and I want to express my feelings of outrage at automobile manufacturers, regarding the price discrepancy between cars in Canada and those in the US. You know how much this has been in the news recently, and it won
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
jrvic wrote: I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it. The question is would Canada custom process my US car import without US export documentation?
Maybe those already sucessfully imported their car can answer this. Did Canada custom officers ask to see export document stamped by US counter part?

I was asked to show my Export documentation.

But then again, I imported my car months ago when no one knew about this and the agents were thorough.

Now they're so busy, I doubt they have time to check.

Remember that your vehicle hasn't been properly exported from the US and a simple audit could get you into trouble.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Dec 8, 2002
971 posts
219 upvotes
I just got home from Manchester after picking up my 2008 Tribeca 5 Seat Limited from Jack @ Manchester Subaru! I'll post pics later tonight with Jack and I

Thanks Monsieurmaggot for starting this thread and everyone on RFD that's contributed to it! The import process so far has been easier than I thought it would have been!

Off to RIV, CT & MTO tomorrow!
Dec 24, 2002
26 posts
2 upvotes
jrvic wrote: I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it. The question is would Canada custom process my US car import without US export documentation?

Interestingly enough I didn't even have the original title (6 month old 2007 Outback LTD) as the dealership was selling it on behalf of Hertz. All I had was a fax copy that you couldn't even read the VIN when I entered US customs and all the guy said was "that should be enough for me to find it" ... and he went out back to get the copies of the couriered documents the dealer had couriered 5 days earlier. We went outside ... he looked at the VIN on the vehicle, and handed me all the copies he had ... already with a stamp on it.

When I got to Canada Customs I pointed out I didn't have the original title document however US Customs stamped the copy ... I'm not sure the Canadian guys even looked at it. In looking at my RIV Form 1 now and there isn't anything to check off to say they saw any export stamp. I know I didn't answer your questions 100% ... but just passing on my experience :lol:

Had a great experience at the dealership and expecting the original title via courier any day now.
Oct 20, 2007
6 posts
Luds wrote: Here's my letter to my MP (for members with French speaking MPs)

Merci Luds.
That is a well written letter and I'd be interested in hearing if you ever get a response.
Nov 7, 2007
23 posts
Dreyfus wrote: Very good points in your letter. I would have one tiny quibble and that is that CMVSS114 must be rewritten to accept FMVSS114 (US) as a conforming standard. Prior to Sept. 01 2007 CMVSS114 did accept FMVSS114 as a conforming standard. The Liberals blundered in 2003-2004 when they wrote a standard that did not accept FMVSS114 as conforming, Today the opposition parties (Dion, Duceppe, Laycock) are keeping a low profile on this issue so that they have something to hit the Conservatives over the head with in the coming election campaign. Lawrence Cannon is inexperienced and does not know how to direct the bureaucrats in TC. What he has to do is issue a directive to his Deputy Minister instructing him to rewrite CMVSS114 so that FMVSS114 becomes a conforming standard. With the rewrite in hand he takes it with supporting documentation to Privy Council so that they can issue an "order in council" putting the newly amended CMVSS114 into effect. Publish it in the Canada Gazette and we are off to the races. Transport handed $3,000 to $40,000 per car to the mfrs on a silver platter surrounded by cherry tomatoes and parsley on Sept. 01 2007. Time to take the platter back any person of normal intelligence in the Minister's chair should have no difficulties. The mfrs are simply enjoying a gift from TC.
I haven't done much research into the differences between the 2 specs but I thought that the immobilizers that are installed on both US and Canadian cars (at least prior to Sept 1, 2007) were generally built in accordance with FMVSS 114 even though the immobilizers are not a requirement in the US. I thought that with Canada now going with CMVSS 114 that this revised standard is MORE stringent than the FMVSS one. Is this not correct?

At the end of the day, it's still not clear to me why the immobilizers suddenly make the cars inadmissable when the DRL, bumpers and child safety restraints can be remedied during the 45 day window after importation. Who makes this call? Is it written within CMVSS 114?
Nov 13, 2007
4 posts
I exported/imported a vehicle in 2006 and no one in Canada seemed interested in whether or not the vehicle had been exported from the US.

I'm in the process of bringing another vehicle up and thought about not exporting it, but aside from the hassle of the 72 hour wait, there is absolutely no problem with exporting from the US.

I would advise doing everything by the letter. Dot all your i's and cross all your t's and you won't have any problems.
Oct 3, 2007
82 posts
Toronto
eastsidesubaru wrote: Actually that is nice and easy on the engine. Just do not LOCK IN your speed. But start/stop, stop and go, onramp acceleration, etc is what is hardest on the engine.
Rules for Subaru break in = super easy.
1. keep it under 4000rpm for the first 1000 miles
2. don't go the same speed for more than 15 minutes... in other words, don't use cruise on 75 for the whole trip. cruise at 65, then 70, then 75, then 65, then 70, etc changing it every 15 minutes if you have to use cruise, otherwise, you should naturally vary the speed enough just driving normal.
Thank you eastsidesubaru and others for the info.
Dec 8, 2002
971 posts
219 upvotes
fulrach wrote: I just got home from Manchester after picking up my 2008 Tribeca 5 Seat Limited from Jack @ Manchester Subaru! I'll post pics later tonight with Jack and I

Thanks Monsieurmaggot for starting this thread and everyone on RFD that's contributed to it! The import process so far has been easier than I thought it would have been!

Off to RIV, CT & MTO tomorrow!

Here's the pics! - Diamond Black Pearl

[IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2079/dscf7946gk4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9445/dscf7949rx2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1472/dscf7958tj4.jpg[/IMG]

3 - Canadians who picked up Tribeca's from Jack @ Manchester Subaru on Sunday (Jack is 2nd from left in blue jacket)
Nov 16, 2007
24 posts
Lake Country, BC
Thanks very much Matty. Your updates sound great!

Merci beaucoup to Luds aussi!