Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Nov 11, 2007
123 posts
27 upvotes
Hi everyone,

I want to start saying that this thread is unique in the sense that it took me months to finally post for the first time. Not due to the lack of interest but because the first buyers were the pioneers that started this movement and we were just absorbing the info. Now I am ready to buy in the US and become part of the wave of change. Although i haven't posted before I have told all my friends and since buying in the US is not for everybody they all listened and a friend in TO is about to buy an outback ( he has a legacy now)

I am ready to join the Subaru club and I am looking to buy either an Outback 2.5i because of the manual Transmission or the 2.5i Limited with VDC

I am calling for the help of Subaru outback buyers in the GTA.
Where are the best prices: in Buffalo or Manchester, is it worth the extra distance?
Northwest, Van Bortel, Manchester?
Could you send me the contact names?
I hear about names like XAN and Ken etc. etc. but after so many posts everything is blurry.
Could you send me some contact names to start getting quotes?
All those who did your own homework. can you tell me where are the best deals?
I am trying to get it before Dec 03 which is when the latest cash rebates expire.

Finally: what is the best way to pay.
bank wire- and send the money before pick up? sound risky to me.
Certified cheque: and declare at the border, any cons?

Thank you all in advance, for the great job.

as my name implies:
The NAFTA will provide, it's the law!

If we break the law, we go to Jail; if Honda Toyota et al break the law they make money on Canadians???
Oct 21, 2007
102 posts
2 upvotes
the Bez wrote: I haven't done much research into the differences between the 2 specs but I thought that the immobilizers that are installed on both US and Canadian cars (at least prior to Sept 1, 2007) were generally built in accordance with FMVSS 114 even though the immobilizers are not a requirement in the US. I thought that with Canada now going with CMVSS 114 that this revised standard is MORE stringent than the FMVSS one. Is this not correct?

At the end of the day, it's still not clear to me why the immobilizers suddenly make the cars inadmissable when the DRL, bumpers and child safety restraints can be remedied during the 45 day window after importation. Who makes this call? Is it written within CMVSS 114?
In broad terms CMVSS114 and FMVSS114 were equivalent standards prior to Sept. 1 2007. The implementation could be quite different in that one could cut off the fuel pump, another one could cut the ignition and so on. The end result was immobilization. The tamper aspect was similar one could hide it under a panel attached to the firewall another could put it in a frame member. The new amended CMVSS114 replaced both the old CMVSS114 and FMVSS114 with a United Nations standard that bears little resemblance to the old Canadian/US standard. The theory was that there is a "world market" for cars produced in Canada and the US would recognize this and adopt UN standard and we would be compatible. In the first place NAFTA cars have no appeal outside of NAFTA, in the second as far as the US is concerned they rule the world and everybody else should conform. Since the US represents 90% of the auto market in NAFTA it makes no sense for the 10% player (Canada) to have incompatible standards. All three standards immobilize and are 'tamper proof". In the studies done in 2003 and since, thefts have been reduced by 50% on "theft deterrent" equipped cars, the recovery rate dropped dramatically because the skilled thieves were chopping for parts or sending containers overseas. Only the amateurs were deterred. We have a well developed theft education system 1) Detention centres
2) Provincial jails 3) Federal penitentiaries 4) With doctorates being won at the highest levels near Kingston. A single standard will make the learning process easier, hence IBC wanting home grown after market solutions that can react to the changing circumstances. The cost to implement the new CMVSS114 was estimated to be $32 per car. We are now paying $3k to $40k per car because of the amateurish way the Liberals handled this during the public consultation period 2003-2004 and the Conservatives having been out of power for over a decade either don't care or don't know how to rectify the problem.
Nov 7, 2007
27 posts
Gatineau, QC
eipod wrote: Merci Luds.
That is a well written letter and I'd be interested in hearing if you ever get a response.
davehender wrote: Thanks very much Matty. Your updates sound great!

Merci beaucoup to Luds also!
Forgot a few typos in there and a few words are missing :confused:
Nov 7, 2007
27 posts
Gatineau, QC
All right folks, I've been negociating for a while with a few dealers, I was wondering what kind of price I should expect to pay.

The MSRP for the fully loaded 3.5 Premium SE Altima Coupe with Nav package is $31,755.

How much should I expect to pay?
Sep 10, 2006
181 posts
6 upvotes
Amazing vehicle ...

Subie rocks ...
fulrach wrote: Here's the pics! - Diamond Black Pearl

[IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2079/dscf7946gk4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9445/dscf7949rx2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1472/dscf7958tj4.jpg[/IMG]

3 - Canadians who picked up Tribeca's from Jack @ Manchester Subaru on Sunday (Jack is 2nd from left in blue jacket)
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
Go to Edmunds.com and 1) price the car out. The invoice price is what you want, with about 500-700 added to include all fees, destination etc. If the car is an 07 it will be cheaper to buy since it is depreciated and a 08 is not. Even if new. 2) On Edmunds, go to forums and look up your car. Usually there is a thread on prices paid. That should be very useful. Good luck.

When I bought a car in summer, I used xe.com to buy US$. It was about 1% cheaper than a bank, so I saved about $400 just on that. Beware, it takes a week to set up an account with them.
Oct 21, 2007
102 posts
2 upvotes
[url]http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm

Here is an opportunity for you to comment on 15 year rule and Right hand drive imports.

Tie your comments into the present non tariff trade barrier debacle. CMVSS114 must be rewritten we do not need more barriers. People with little resources cannot afford to be ripped off and the 15 year rule must stay because the way things are going in Transport nobody will be able to afford a car. Perhaps your grandmother can only afford 15 year old imports and when deprived of that should she buy a donkey.
The bureaucrats read the comments copy the minister or the prime minister. If they do not hear from you then you are quite satisfied with the status quo.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5946 posts
1421 upvotes
The 15 year rule is for people who want to import "antiques". I doubt poor people or your grandma would want to buy a 600bhp 15-year old RWD Skyline. The article cites data from ICBC saying that RWD drivers have a higher accident rate. They are also notoriously bad for pollution. Most riceboys that buy RWD cars also takeout the catalytic converter.

Citing affordability is a poor excuse for the 15 year rule. I'm ok with not having any old rust buckets from Japan, even if they have 1,000,000bhp and can do the 1/4 mile is 2 seconds flat.
Jan 1, 2007
137 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
Hi fulrach,

Nice Tribeca! I have to pick up mine soon. Thanks for the photos.

How was the trip back from Manchester to Toronto?
fulrach wrote: Here's the pics! - Diamond Black Pearl

[IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2079/dscf7946gk4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9445/dscf7949rx2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1472/dscf7958tj4.jpg[/IMG]

3 - Canadians who picked up Tribeca's from Jack @ Manchester Subaru on Sunday (Jack is 2nd from left in blue jacket)
Sep 3, 2007
635 posts
63 upvotes
Aurora
Monsieurmaggot wrote: I was asked to show my Export documentation.
When you say 'Export documentation' you really mean the original title with stamp (on front or back or both) from the US Customs, right?

Is that it or is there anything else?

Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
From the Detroit News article, they quoted Jim Miller, Honda Canada's king of deception.

Listen to this garbage:

"Pricing is done in market conditions," said Jim Miller, vice president of Honda Canada. "There is no simple easy answer."

The Canadian car market is one-tenth the size of the American market. The country's 33 million residents buy about 1.6 million vehicles a year, and buying patterns tend to skew more toward the practical than in the United States.

Canadians buy or lease smaller vehicles, while Americans tend to super-size their orders. Nearly 60 percent of the new cars purchased in Canada are entry-level or compact vehicles. Small cars make up only 17 percent of the U.S. car market, according to Autodata Corp., a New Jersey company that tracks U.S. vehicle sales".

What he fails to mention is that due to Honda and other Canadian subsidy marketing practices, most Canadians CAN'T afford the bigger cars like our American cousins.

Now thanks to NAFTA and the strong Canadian dollar, I am driving a $50,000 car that I got in the US for less than $30k.

Dennis "The ventriloquist puppet" DesRosiers says: (It seems he must have a string on his back that you pull since he's always saying the same thing...)

"The trim levels are different, so you're not getting a fair comparison when you're looking at similar vehicles," said Dennis Desrosiers, a Canadian auto industry analyst and president of DesRosiers Automotive Consultants Inc. in Ontario.

"There's a large group of people who sit around every day cross-border shopping. They think there's a boogie man in every closet when the reality is the market is shockingly complex."

Yup. I would be one of them. I guess I'm too stupid to understand the "complex market forces" of simple greed.

Here's another good one:

"We price at what the market will bear," said Jim Cain, a Ford spokesman, adding that the U.S. side of operations at Ford do not dictate how much a car costs in Canada. "The U.S. doesn't get a vote in Canadian prices.".

Question is, who the hell still wants to buy a Ford?
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Oct 2, 2007
2 posts
Montreal, Canada
This article is in french so google transalte it, i'm too lazy >.>

Les d
Tekken_War
Oct 2, 2003
250 posts
1 upvote
Well getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Subbie, was listening to the news this morning and they said that the Inflation numbers were in for the month and caused the dollar to drop over a cent, speculation the BoC is goint to lower interest rates which will shy people away from the Canadian Dollar so I did my money conversion and only got USD at Par through Royal Bank, wish I was ready to do this 2 weeks ago, heh.
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
Question: What happens to an American Citizen who moves to Canada with their 2008 Honda that doesn't conform to Canadian standards?
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
My 2008 tribeca has a rattle in the back, i think it's from the large cover over the tool kit...is there a way to secure it as it doesn't seem to have a latch. it's the only thing wrong with my new US car - at 1500 miles now.
May 23, 2007
62 posts
Toronto

But then again, I imported my car months ago when no one knew about this and the agents were thorough.

Now they're so busy, I doubt they have time to check.

Remember that your vehicle hasn't been properly exported from the US and a simple audit could get you into trouble.
See post below...
Nov 3, 2004
22 posts

But then again, I imported my car months ago when no one knew about this and the agents were thorough.

Now they're so busy, I doubt they have time to check.

Remember that your vehicle hasn't been properly exported from the US and a simple audit could get you into trouble.

According to this notice from CBSA, stamp is not requried for Private Importations. I just got off the phone with a guy from CBSA and he confirmed that.

Link for the notice,

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... 1-eng.html