Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jan 2, 2007
306 posts
3 upvotes
Luds wrote: All right folks, I've been negociating for a while with a few dealers, I was wondering what kind of price I should expect to pay.

The MSRP for the fully loaded 3.5 Premium SE Altima Coupe with Nav package is $31,755.

How much should I expect to pay?
What does "fully loaded" mean? You have to define all the options you have for the car for it to have any pertinent meaning. Use edmunds.com and price it out. It will give you invoice pricing on every option. Make up a zip code because the "TMV" pricing, I feel, is not accurate.

Due to these harsh economic times, and it being close to the end of a month, dealers are more likely to give discounts on cars that are sitting on the lot. I'm not saying the Altima coupe is a slow mover, but with the US economy slowing, they will go out of their way to make a sale.
Question: What happens to an American Citizen who moves to Canada with their 2008 Honda that doesn't conform to Canadian standards?
Right now ... they are screwed. They have to sell it because it cannot be imported into Canada and have Canadian plates on it. I have seen many instances where people with a 2000+ Toyota MR2 had to sell their cars since they were never sold in Canada, and thus banned from importing it here (ie RIV inadmissible list).
May 23, 2007
62 posts
Toronto
martin1 wrote: According to this notice from CBSA, stamp is not requried for Private Importations. I just got off the phone with a guy from CBSA and he confirmed that.

Link for the notice,

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... 1-eng.html
This is excellent information. Maybe we should modify the steps to import vehicle as this can save the 72 hours wait. I am sure the US border people would like this. No more private CDN importers flooding their offices with faxes and calls.
I just realized this means you can import cars into Canada on weekends as well ....
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
dotcalamitie wrote: My 2008 tribeca has a rattle in the back, i think it's from the large cover over the tool kit...is there a way to secure it as it doesn't seem to have a latch. it's the only thing wrong with my new US car - at 1500 miles now.
Put a bag of sand or rice over the large toolkit cover, if the noise is gone than you have a loose latch that need to be replace under warranty.

If not, remove the cover and if you can still hear the rattle. It might be something else beside the cover.

Have the dealership check where the rattle come from.
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Nov 7, 2007
27 posts
Gatineau, QC
inspire wrote: What does "fully loaded" mean? You have to define all the options you have for the car for it to have any pertinent meaning. Use edmunds.com and price it out. It will give you invoice pricing on every option. Make up a zip code because the "TMV" pricing, I feel, is not accurate.

Due to these harsh economic times, and it being close to the end of a month, dealers are more likely to give discounts on cars that are sitting on the lot. I'm not saying the Altima coupe is a slow mover, but with the US economy slowing, they will go out of their way to make a sale.
Thanks for the reply, inspire. By Fully loaded I meant that it literally has all the options available from the site. Premium SE package, VDC, Technoligy package, kick plates, trunk mats, moonroof deflector. It's a manual transmission.

MSRP = $31,755
Invoice = $29,064

Basically what I would like to know is if I can expect a deal around $30,000
Nov 11, 2007
4 posts
Special thanks to Monsieurmaggot and all RFD members for the pages of information and support................. the result being that last Tuesday I just put a fresh set of plates on my new Diamond Gray Metallic 2008 5-passenger Tribeca Limited. The whole process was pretty painless and each step went better than anticipated, from this Subaru being a wonderful vehicle, to a great deal and service from my closest Subaru dealer south of the border, to the easy process of clearing US and Canada Customs at the Emerson/Pembina border crossing, to quick service from RIV and the subsequent 5 minute check at Canadian Tire, to the final step of insurance and licence plates. The whole process was smooth and orderly. My impression was that at each stage of the process everyone was on the same page and knew exactly what they were doing. Plus a sweet deal was made even sweeter with the excellent exchange rates I managed to get between Nov 5-8.

Thanks again to all.
Sep 3, 2007
635 posts
63 upvotes
Aurora
jrvic wrote: This is excellent information. Maybe we should modify the steps to import vehicle as this can save the 72 hours wait. I am sure the US border people would like this. No more private CDN importers flooding their offices with faxes and calls.
This is really excellent. In 2000, I brought my Toyota Camry from the States when I moved to Toronto and I don't ever remember having to fax the title to US border and wait 72 hours or even stop at the US border for that matter.

However, when I started the import process this time, after reading RedFlags, I just assumed it was a new requirement.

I guess, I wont be stopping at the border on Monday morning, hell, I will just drive in on Sunday morning. Originally, I was suppose to spent the extra day in Buffalo so that I would cross the border on Monday morning to satisfy the US requirement.

Thanks for posting this, really appreciate this.
Nov 3, 2007
90 posts
I have a ideal solution to get a US based Car, not sure if it would be legal though.

1) i know someone in the States, they could purchase a car for me.
2) they drive it to me, over the border.
3) They sell it to me in Canada.
4) What taxes do i need to pay? If any? IS it even allowed to purchase from an American "Visiting" Canada?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2860 posts
751 upvotes
dotcalamitie wrote: My 2008 tribeca has a rattle in the back, i think it's from the large cover over the tool kit...is there a way to secure it as it doesn't seem to have a latch. it's the only thing wrong with my new US car - at 1500 miles now.
It may not be the tool box, more maybe the hatch itself...if you search in one of the forums, you should be able to look up the rattle in the hatch, which may require the full disaasembly of the hatch through the dealer to rectify the problem.
Jul 26, 2007
82 posts
whampoa wrote: Put a bag of sand or rice over the large toolkit cover, if the noise is gone than you have a loose latch that need to be replace under warranty.

If not, remove the cover and if you can still hear the rattle. It might be something else beside the cover.

Have the dealership check where the rattle come from.
I think it's the jack handle moving about in its little storage cavity. I'm putting a couple of old bath towels in with the jacking tools. That should help with the noise. If you've ever changed a tire, something to wipe your hands on after is a welcome thing. :D I have the Cargo Tray Accessory, it's fairly heavy so I don't think the problem is with the latch/cover. I'm driving to Halifax to-night,4 hr. round trip, will let you all know if that stops/helps with the rattle.
Jan 13, 2007
965 posts
93 upvotes
Hey guys,

I am looking at importinga 2004-2006 Kia Sorento from the US. Can anyone give me some guidance on whether or not the remaining balance of the factory warranty will be valid here in Canada?

Thanks!
May 23, 2007
62 posts
Toronto
GougingCarCartelGroup wrote: I have a ideal solution to get a US based Car, not sure if it would be legal though.

1) i know someone in the States, they could purchase a car for me.
2) they drive it to me, over the border.
3) They sell it to me in Canada.
4) What taxes do i need to pay? If any? IS it even allowed to purchase from an American "Visiting" Canada?
That would work, but there are easier ways that your friend never has to travel to Canada.
Banned
May 13, 2006
728 posts
Luds wrote: Thanks for the reply, inspire. By Fully loaded I meant that it literally has all the options available from the site. Premium SE package, VDC, Technoligy package, kick plates, trunk mats, moonroof deflector. It's a manual transmission.

MSRP = $31,755
Invoice = $29,064

Basically what I would like to know is if I can expect a deal around $30,000
There are numerous sites on the web stating what people have paid.
Nov 8, 2007
11 posts
When I called Honda USA, they said that they still would not issue a compliance letter. The company line is that the determination of whether the immobilizer meets CMVSS 114 is up to TC and not them. They flat out said the car is inadmissible. I am waiting for the whole TC fiasco to settle to see which side of the fence I land on.
dotcalamitie wrote: Question: What happens to an American Citizen who moves to Canada with their 2008 Honda that doesn't conform to Canadian standards?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2860 posts
751 upvotes
Albertan wrote: Hey guys,

I am looking at importinga 2004-2006 Kia Sorento from the US. Can anyone give me some guidance on whether or not the remaining balance of the factory warranty will be valid here in Canada?

Thanks!
Call them or send them a email, it's unknown unless someone on this forum has actually imported a KIA. Here's their contact info though.

KIA Canada
1-877-542-2886
180 Foster Crescent, Mississauga, ON, L5R 4J5
Nov 13, 2007
14 posts
GTA
Called again RIV to check Camry 2008 import, i have been told either i should have a CMVSS 114 compliance letter from the original manufacturer otherwise it is not admissible.
( Which Toyota USA will not provide i suppose ---called them last week to hear some kind of legality issue ) When asked the after market installation,was told that is not permitted even when i gave the RIV list para 9 reference.

Double standards and that too so openly by a Government Controlled body (TC), feeling pissed off now, seems like will have to back off .

WHY DON'T TRANSPORT CANADA PUT A BLANKET BAN ON ALL THE VEHICLE IMPORTS INSTEAD OF HAVING ALL THESE DOUBLE STANDARDS ........ATLEAST THAT WILL SAVE US TIME ..............Feel Sorry for Other fellows like me.............
Oct 10, 2007
77 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo, CAD
"2007 AND 2008 Yaris Sedan built after September 1st, 2007, admissible only when equipped by manufacturer's optional electronic immobilization system to comply with CMVSS 114. The importer must provide RIV with a letter from the manufacturer stating the vehicle complies with CMVSS 114"

First: Camry 2008 model is addmissible
Second: it cames with electronic immobilization system as factory installed
Third: It's no problem to import this car as of today
Fourth: To import this car you don't need CMVSS 114 vehicle complies

SPaulS wrote: Called again RIV to check Camry 2008 import, i have been told either i should have a CMVSS 114 compliance letter from the original manufacturer otherwise it is not admissible.
( Which Toyota USA will not provide i suppose ---called them last week to hear some kind of legality issue ) When asked the after market installation,was told that is not permitted even when i gave the RIV list para 9 reference.

Double standards and that too so openly by a Government Controlled body (TC), feeling pissed off now, seems like will have to back off .

WHY DON'T TRANSPORT CANADA PUT A BLANKET BAN ON ALL THE VEHICLE IMPORTS INSTEAD OF HAVING ALL THESE DOUBLE STANDARDS ........ATLEAST THAT WILL SAVE US TIME ..............Feel Sorry for Other fellows like me.............
Nov 13, 2007
14 posts
GTA
Sika , why don't you call RIV and post here what they say..............as said earliar RIV needs compliance letter................and then called Toyota USA again afterwards...........REPLY WAS...........WON'T ISSUE ANY COMPLIANCE LETTER AND 2008 TOYOTA CAMRY IS NOT ADMISSIBLE IN CANADA ................any better answers will make me happy.
Thanks!!
Oct 20, 2005
26 posts
Did any one notice that the pdf for the RIV admissability list is no longer available on the RIV site? It is only available as HTML.

Does any one know why they would do this? It is to make it harder to see whether they have made any changes, or what?

What a pain!!! :mad:
Apr 26, 2006
39 posts
Hey guys,

RIV just updated their website. Instead of opening the admissible list in pdf, they link the info with Transport Canada. Since they change the info very frequently, it is advisable to check the site every day if you are planning or going to import a car from US.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)