Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
I really like this article by John Leblanc, analyzing the incentives offered by Canadian distributors. He just hit the spot where he says "buyer beware" if the ad plays the patriotic theme. We need more auto journalists like him! :cheesygri

http://www.wheels.ca/newsFeatures/article/32929

Do new car incentives add up?

John LeBlanc

Special to the Star

Nov 14, 2007
Grumpy consumers, overzealous border officials, grandstanding politicians, and backpedaling carmakers
Apr 26, 2006
39 posts
Please also note that RIV put a revised date for each revision of the list. However, the info found in the Transport Canada website only says "SUBJECT TO REVISION WITHOUT NOTIFICATION". Section 5.3, regarding Multipurpose passenger vehicles, has also been changed if you check it today.
Aug 27, 2003
51 posts
Toronto
SPaulS; I have had the same discussion with Riv -- what is concerning is the inconsistency with their responses, I'm assuming that you received a different response. Based on my calls:

2008 Camry would be admissible as per TC/Riv list; it does not require any additional documentation as it has been determined to comply with all CMVSS requirements (exception being those that can be completed post importation: DRL and Child Restraint).

2008 Yaris should be the only 'admissible' vehicle that would require a CMVSS 114 letter; i'm assuming that there is a factory immobilizer option that would potentially allow it to be admissible (since no such letter can be produced by Toyota it should be considered not admissible)
Jan 13, 2007
965 posts
93 upvotes
Hey Guys,

I am thinking of bringing up an 05-06 Kia Sorento, as I mentioned previously. I am buying in Washington state and bringing it up through BC. However, I will be registering, insurring and driving the SUV in my home province of Alberta.

My question is - when do you pay PST on a vehicle brought up through BC? Do you pay @ Customs, or when you register? I hope it's at registration, because then I wont have to pay PST since I am an Albertan, just coming up through a PC Port of Entry.

Thanks!
Nov 13, 2007
14 posts
GTA
Kamre: I have checked couple of times on different days..............every time the same or similar reply............Compliance Letter.........
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2005
1695 posts
48 upvotes
Albertan wrote: Hey Guys,

I am thinking of bringing up an 05-06 Kia Sorento, as I mentioned previously. I am buying in Washington state and bringing it up through BC. However, I will be registering, insurring and driving the SUV in my home province of Alberta.

My question is - when do you pay PST on a vehicle brought up through BC? Do you pay @ Customs, or when you register? I hope it's at registration, because then I wont have to pay PST since I am an Albertan, just coming up through a PC Port of Entry.

Thanks!
only GST needs to be paid at border.
PST (if applicable) has to be paid only at registration.
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
SPaulS wrote: Kamre: I have checked couple of times on different days..............every time the same or similar reply............Compliance Letter.........

SPaulS - I see you're frustrated.

Have you asked RIV if they can read? 2008 Camry is not listed in the INADMISSABLE column.

Here is the text from TC site.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importat ... _LEXUS.htm

ADMISSIBLE NOTES
1992 TO 2008 All other passenger car models except those listed in the inadmissible column
2008 Yaris Sedan (see notes)
2007 AND 2008 Yaris Sedan built after September 1st, 2007 (see notes)

INADMISSIBLE
1992 Corolla
1992 TO 1994 Tercel / Paseo
2000 SC400/300
2000 TO 2005 MR2
2005 AND 2006 Scion TC
2007 AND 2008 Yaris Hatchback built after September 1st, 2007
2007 AND 2008 Corolla built after september 1st, 2007
2007 AND 2008 Prius built after September 1st, 2007
2007 AND 2008 Matrix built after September 1st, 2007
2008 Scion

NOTES
See explanations on cover page.
2007 AND 2008 Yaris Sedan built after September 1st, 2007, admissible only when equipped by manufacturer's optional electronic immobilization system to comply with CMVSS 114. The importer must provide RIV with a letter from the manufacturer stating the vehicle complies with CMVSS 114.
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
How about something we RFD'ers can all rejoice in hitting back at Toyota's arrogant stance. To all potential Toyota or GM buyers, beware of cars made at Toyota and GM's joint manufacturing plant, the New United Motor Manufacturing Inc. (NUMMI) in California.

A lawsuit is before the court to sue Toyota USA and GM by a whistleblower who alleges that management routinely deletes or downgrades her audits on defects.

Guess who am I rooting for in this case? :cheesygri

http://www.wheels.ca/article/33024

Toyota plant accused of passing defects

Associated Press

Nov 20, 2007

TOKYO
Jan 13, 2007
965 posts
93 upvotes
sb_tor wrote: only GST needs to be paid at border.
PST (if applicable) has to be paid only at registration.

Thanks for the response!
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
SPaulS wrote: WHY DON'T TRANSPORT CANADA PUT A BLANKET BAN ON ALL THE VEHICLE IMPORTS INSTEAD OF HAVING ALL THESE DOUBLE STANDARDS ........ATLEAST THAT WILL SAVE US TIME ..............Feel Sorry for Other fellows like me.............
Why do you want to put a blanket ban on all imports just because Toyota is giving you a hard time?

Read below, Toyota is not what it crack up to be.
diigii wrote: How about something we RFD'ers can all rejoice in hitting back at Toyota's arrogant stance. To all potential Toyota or GM buyers, beware of cars made at Toyota and GM's joint manufacturing plant, the New United Motor Manufacturing Inc. (NUMMI) in California.

A lawsuit is before the court to sue Toyota USA and GM by a whistleblower who alleges that management routinely deletes or downgrades her audits on defects.

Guess who am I rooting for in this case? :cheesygri

http://www.wheels.ca/article/33024

Toyota plant accused of passing defects

This NUMMI plant is heading into a one way street, the wrong way!
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
thelefteyeguy wrote: it is competitive...compared to other canadian vehicle prices
But not to us, anymore. :cheesygri

I guess that statement is open to any interpretations. :cheesygri
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
whampoa wrote: Why do you want to put a blanket ban on all imports just because Toyota is giving you a hard time?

Read below, Toyota is not what it crack up to be.
yes, i'd rather get something like a subaru or whatever instead of a car with an engine prone to sludge.
Air Canada Aeroplan Super Elite Reservations: 1-800-401-7201 or 514-369-7598
get unlimited calls or other discounts by calling directly to:
Fido Retentions: call 611 then push 7, then push 3 - or Rogers Retentions 1-514-734-7873 or 1-866-228-7109
Telus Mobility: 1-877-279-3100 or 416-279-3100 or 1 416 296 7669 client.loyalty@telus.com
Bell Mobility: 1-866-313-1086
nice chairs http://www.eternitymodern.ca
great value - lol http://www.walmart.ca
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1051 posts
30 upvotes
Thornhill
thelefteyeguy wrote: it is competitive...compared to other canadian vehicle prices
it is competitive...compared to what they'd like to gouge
Nov 7, 2007
27 posts
Gatineau, QC
Do I need my Recall Letter at the boarder? US customs (Ogdensburg) confirmed that I don't and the RIV site only lists it as a need pass the federal inspection. It isn't listed as a requirement to pass Canadian customs.

Main reason I ask as that this document would be mailed by Nissan and take some time to arrive I assume. I'd like to pick up the car on Monday and this may not be possible if I don't have the Recall Letter.
Oct 15, 2007
120 posts
2 upvotes
TucDream wrote: First time poster, long time lurker.

I plan to pick up my new ‘beca on Saturday, bringing it thru Blaine WA on Monday morning. I’d really like to get thru CT on Monday as well, and am wondering if I can speed up the RIV process to help make that happen.

What I’m thinking of is:
- picking up a Form 1 at the border on the way down (Thursday)
- online payment with RIV with the Form 1 case number (Thursday)
- email the Recall Clearance letter to RIV (Friday)
- Customs complete Form 1 & email to RIV (Monday morning)
- Me speak nicely to RIV to email Form 2 (Monday noon)
- CT inspection (Monday afternoon).

Any thots? Could this work?

The only real downside I could see is that if the Form 1 gets screwed up & I lose the RIV fee that is associated to it.

Btw, thanks to all who have blazed the trail for us. I think Canada has cornered the market on Diamond Grey Metallic 'becas!
The fly in the ointment (a la truck crossing) that I see is that Customs filled out the Form 1 as part of the import process. Not sure that they would hand out a blank one before you have the export stamp from US Customs..

the rest makes sense, it's wot I did.. but email/fax the Form 1 and the Recall as a single package.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1991 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/071115-1.htm
November 15, 2007

Hyundai Canada announces Holiday Gift Event

Markham, Ontario - Hyundai Auto Canada has announced a "Holiday Gift Event" it says gives potential cross-border shoppers a reason to reconsider a trip to the U.S. The promotion offers cash back from $3,000 to $5,000 on selected 2007 models, and significantly-reduced purchase and lease financing as low as zero per cent on selected models.

The new program is in addition to the previously-announced GST reduction program, whereby customers pay the equivalent of five per cent GST on all 2007 and 2008 model-year Hyundai vehicles. Hyundai also reminds shoppers that automobile purchase or lease financing is not available to Canadians at U.S. dealers.

"We know Canadian customers are looking for a reason to purchase a vehicle in Canada right now," said John Vernile, Vice President of Sales and Marketing. "This Hyundai cash-back and rate-reduced program is that reason. While the cash-back offers are significant, the real savings to Canadians come in our zero per cent finance and lease rates. Buyers going to the U.S. have to take funds out of their bank accounts or personal lines of credit, causing them to incur significant interest costs or forego earning interest.

"Our low Hyundai Financial Services interest rates make the transaction prices of several of our models lower than comparable U.S. models and allow buyers the huge financial benefit of keeping their cash in their accounts to earn interest. This offers value to our Canadian customers, keeps business and money in Canada, and removes the hassle and uncertainty of importing a U.S. vehicle."

Further information about the promotion is available at HyundaiCanada.com.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)