Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1991 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/071112-1.htm
November 12, 2007

Nissan Canada offers new vehicle purchase incentives up to $8,000

Mississauga, Ontario - Nissan Canada Inc. (NCI) has announced a series of new manufacturer-to-dealer purchase incentives across its Nissan and Infiniti vehicle lines. The incentives mean additional consumer savings of up to $8,000 on cash vehicle purchases, and finance rates as low as 1.9 per cent on select models. The new offer will be in effect until November 30, 2007.

"Customers have clearly been looking for more value in new-vehicle pricing and we're happy to respond by providing even more reasons to buy or lease a new Nissan or Infiniti vehicle," said Mark Grimm, President and CEO of NCI.

New cash incentives range from $1,000 on the 2008 Nissan Sentra to $8,000 on 2008 Nissan Armada and Infiniti QX56 models. Lease rates start from 3.9 per cent, and finance rates are as low as 1.9 per cent on select models.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1991 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/071109-6.htm
November 9, 2007

GM Canada announces new price incentives

Oshawa, Ontario - General Motors of Canada has announced that it is introducing a series of new price incentives to augment its highly-competitive lease and finance rates.

Effective immediately, GM will cover a one per cent GST reduction for all cash and finance customers until the new GST rates take effect on January 1, 2008; offer new cash incentives ranging from $1,500 to $10,000 on select models, including the Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Corvette, GMC Yukon and all 2008 Saab models; and launch its year-end "Wish and Win" event, which gives GM customers the chance to win a new car or up to an additional $10,000 toward the purchase of a new GM car or truck.

"Coming off our strong October sales increases, we are moving beyond our great lease and finance rates to offer GM customers even greater value," said Marc Comeau, GM of Canada's vice-president of sales, service and marketing. "We know consumers have been focused on the high Canadian dollar, so we are going to continue to show them that the best value on the industry's best vehicles can be found at their local GM Canada dealership."
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24699 posts
1833 upvotes
Markham, ON
welcome to the Nov 20th ;)

elmst200 must be from the Cdn Automobile Association :D

jk
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1991 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/071107-1.htm
November 7, 2007

Volkswagen Canada announces rebates on Jetta, Passat and Touareg

Ajax, Ontario - Volkswagen Canada has announced a manufacturer's sales program on select models for the months of November and December 2007.

Savings will include $1,000 on Jetta, $2,000 on Passat, and $2,000 on Touareg 2 models. The savings will be in addition to APR and lease rates starting as low as 1.9 per cent on select models.

"Our goal is to continue delivering more value and savings to Canadians, as well as to maintain our competitive position in the market," said executive vice-president John White.

Volkswagen Canada is the fourth Canadian automaker in the last month to announce rebates and price reductions on new models. With the strength of the Canadian dollar and lower vehicle MSRPs in the U.S., many Canadians have been going south to purchase their new vehicles.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1991 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/071105-1.htm
November 5, 2007

Ford of Canada announces price reductions on most models

Oakville, Ontario - Ford has announced that, effective November 3, consumers can save up to $8,250 on model-year 2007 and 2008 Ford and Lincoln models. The savings are part of the company's "Get in and drive year-end clearance" event.

"We hear what people are saying - they prefer to purchase in Canada," said Bill Osborne, president and CEO of Ford Motor Company of Canada. "To continue to give Canadians good reason to shop at home, we are providing additional savings on most of our vehicle line-up. It's a great time to consider a Ford or Lincoln vehicle, right here in Canada."

The company says that virtually all 2007 and 2008 models will come with an "e-bonus" of $1,250, available on-line or from dealerships. Additionally, there will be a delivery allowance of up to $7,000, and a 1 per cent reduction on the GST or HST, where applicable. The reductions are in addition to purchase and lease APR offers; for more information, visit Ford of Canada's website.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1991 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/071102-5.htm
November 2, 2007

Volvo Canada announces new cash rebates for all buyers

Toronto, Ontario - Volvo Cars of Canada has announced that, effective yesterday, a new program will offer customers a rebate of up to $5,000 toward the purchase price of a Volvo, regardless if it is a cash, finance or lease transaction. The program covers the S40, S60, S80, V50, XC90, C30 and C70 models.

"Volvo Canada and its retailers review all customers equally," says Steve Blyth, President and CEO of Volvo Cars of Canada Corp. "The company will not offer an incentive program to cash-paying customers that is different than one offered to our finance or lease customers. This new rebate program will be available on the majority of Volvo vehicles to all customers, regardless of how they would like to conduct the transaction."

The incentive program is focused primarily on model-year 2008 and remaining model-year 2007 vehicles, and offers different cash rebates according to the nameplate.

"This new cash rebate program, when combined with some of the industry's best lease and finance rates, gives potential Volvo customers a compelling reason to visit a Volvo retailer in Canada," Blyth says. "We have lease rates starting from 2.9 per cent and finance rates starting from 3.9 per cent.

"We realize Canadians are looking to the U.S. market and comparing prices of vehicles with the same nameplate. We hope they also notice that Canadian Volvo vehicles have a longer list of standard equipment, a more comprehensive warranty offer and a retailer network equipped with parts to service built-for-Canada vehicles. That said, we recognize that the price is perhaps the most important factor in a purchase decision. Our plan is that this new rebate program will help customers avoid considering the added cost, hassle, time and intricacies of importing a vehicle from south of the border."
Nov 6, 2007
21 posts
2 upvotes
[quote="TucDream" post_id="5959613" time="1195591686" user_id="123947"]First time poster, long time lurker.

I plan to pick up my new
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
elmst200 wrote: http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/071105-1.htm
November 5, 2007

Ford of Canada announces price reductions on most models

Oakville, Ontario - Ford has announced that, effective November 3, consumers can save up to $8,250 on model-year 2007 and 2008 Ford and Lincoln models. The savings are part of the company's "Get in and drive year-end clearance" event.

"We hear what people are saying - they prefer to purchase in Canada," said Bill Osborne, president and CEO of Ford Motor Company of Canada. "To continue to give Canadians good reason to shop at home, we are providing additional savings on most of our vehicle line-up. It's a great time to consider a Ford or Lincoln vehicle, right here in Canada."

The company says that virtually all 2007 and 2008 models will come with an "e-bonus" of $1,250, available on-line or from dealerships. Additionally, there will be a delivery allowance of up to $7,000, and a 1 per cent reduction on the GST or HST, where applicable. The reductions are in addition to purchase and lease APR offers; for more information, visit Ford of Canada's website.
A Ford dealer I know did a deal for a customer. Cost per monthly payment rose with the new November deals compared to October.

Smoke and mirrors folks...smoke and mirrors.....
Jun 1, 2006
719 posts
42 upvotes
Luds wrote: Do I need my Recall Letter at the boarder? US customs (Ogdensburg) confirmed that I don't and the RIV site only lists it as a need pass the federal inspection. It isn't listed as a requirement to pass Canadian customs.

Main reason I ask as that this document would be mailed by Nissan and take some time to arrive I assume. I'd like to pick up the car on Monday and this may not be possible if I don't have the Recall Letter.
Neither customs requires the recall letter. However, RIV does ask for it before releasing Form 2 - at least that was the case for me when I went to their office to pay RIV fee and to get Form 2.
Dec 25, 2003
87 posts
Having gone through Blaine 2 weeks ago, I don't think you can get the form 1 in advance- it needs to be stamped by Can Customs when you bring the vehicle into Canada.
Good luck- It took me nearly 10 days and 4 calls to get my form 2 e-mailed to me.
On a positive note, I was able to register the vehicle (in Alberta) without issue with just my MSO and Bill of sale. That way I could drive it while waiting for the form 2 to arrive. Doesn't hurt to try- worst they can say is no.

The RIV wasn't willing to help me for the first few days becasue they wouldn't look into receipt of my form 1- they kept telling me that it takes several days to get it processed.

[quote="TucDream" post_id="5959613" time="1195591686" user_id="123947"]First time poster, long time lurker.

I plan to pick up my new
Oct 15, 2007
120 posts
2 upvotes
what's with all this sudden spate of old news activity on rebates by the various corporate fanboyz? Are we trying to muddy the waters, lol..

Wrong forum, methinks..

here.. let me help with the load leveller..
Dec 8, 2002
971 posts
219 upvotes
fulrach wrote: I just got home from Manchester after picking up my 2008 Tribeca 5 Seat Limited from Jack @ Manchester Subaru! I'll post pics later tonight with Jack and I

Thanks Monsieurmaggot for starting this thread and everyone on RFD that's contributed to it! The import process so far has been easier than I thought it would have been!

Off to RIV, CT & MTO tomorrow!
I'm all plated! All said and done... roughly speaking, I spent about $34,500CDN for my 5 Seater Limited after Taxes, RIV, Plates, flight out to Manchester, gas, etc...

I had spoken to 2 different dealers in Ontario about the exact same car, minus the tint, splashguards and all weather mats that I got in Manchester.. they quoted me $53,990 after taxes, frieght and PDI...

Total savings of about $20,000 over the Canadian price... mmmmm :)
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1991 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
i know, i know. these are for criticizing and entertaining purpose, have a bit fun..
Lost Horizon wrote: what's with all this sudden spate of old news activity on rebates by the various corporate fanboyz? Are we trying to muddy the waters, lol..

Wrong forum, methinks..

Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1991 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
congratulations for your huge saving..
have you put your story on carburner.com Wall of Savers?
fulrach wrote: I'm all plated! All said and done... roughly speaking, I spent about $34,500CDN for my 5 Seater Limited after Taxes, RIV, Plates, flight out to Manchester, gas, etc...

I had spoken to 2 different dealers in Ontario about the exact same car, minus the tint, splashguards and all weather mats that I got in Manchester.. they quoted me $53,990 after taxes, frieght and PDI...

Total savings of about $20,000 over the Canadian price... mmmmm :)
Oct 15, 2007
120 posts
2 upvotes
elmst200 wrote: i know, i know. these are for criticizing and entertaining purpose, have a bit fun..
my bad then.. me happy now.. :D
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4689 posts
811 upvotes
SK
Lost Horizon wrote: what's with all this sudden spate of old news activity on rebates by the various corporate fanboyz? Are we trying to muddy the waters, lol..

Wrong forum, methinks..

They maybe trying to increase their post count for the 1/100 post rule for Toyota information. :twisted:
shopper-X
Nov 7, 2007
22 posts
toronto
the hyundai 'canadian special' sucks. our 07 entourage came with 0% financing 5 yrs. they've replaced that with 6 or 7% financing and given $5500 cash back on 07 inventory of the minivan. it's a worse deal now!!

from my calculations, you're better off buying an 08 with the 0% financing.
Nov 3, 2007
90 posts
***Dealership sleaze update***

Called a few Audi dealers, asked about new S5 car, the US price is 50,500 the Canadian is 65,900 :rolleyes:

When i asked the dealers why i have to pay so much more, they said because the Canadian Audi S5 has 6,000 worth of options included hahah
i asked if the Navigation unit was included in that price, they said NOOOOO meaning there are no meaningful differences between the 2 versions of the S5.
So at that point I confronted all those sales guys and asked if they can give me one feature that both cars do not share
Nov 8, 2007
61 posts
sika wrote: "2007 AND 2008 Yaris Sedan built after September 1st, 2007, admissible only when equipped by manufacturer's optional electronic immobilization system to comply with CMVSS 114. The importer must provide RIV with a letter from the manufacturer stating the vehicle complies with CMVSS 114"

First: Camry 2008 model is addmissible
Second: it cames with electronic immobilization system as factory installed
Third: It's no problem to import this car as of today
Fourth: To import this car you don't need CMVSS 114 vehicle complies
Any car/SUV made after Sept. 1 /2007 will require an admissibility letter from Toyota. Period. I have called RIV 3 times in recent days to see if they would consistently tell me the same thing. You are interpreting the list wrong. I did the same thing. Every "notes" section always include the word "See explanation section". This applies to all vehicles listed as admissible. When you refer to the explanations section is says all vehicles will need to have a compliance letter...sucks but this is what is happening...

All Toyota's built after Sept. 1 might aswell be in the inadmissible column because they are effectively just this --> inadmissible...because you will not get the letter that is needed...period. Game over..

I had a hard time accepting it too but this is the reality now...What mislead me was the special notes pointing out certain vehicles etc as needing a compliance letter...they only did this for vehicles that could ship without an immobilizer...they might as well not even have done this because in the end it is the same for all Toyotas...you need a letter...

Cheers
Nov 8, 2007
61 posts
kmare wrote: SPaulS; I have had the same discussion with Riv -- what is concerning is the inconsistency with their responses, I'm assuming that you received a different response. Based on my calls:

2008 Camry would be admissible as per TC/Riv list; it does not require any additional documentation as it has been determined to comply with all CMVSS requirements (exception being those that can be completed post importation: DRL and Child Restraint).

2008 Yaris should be the only 'admissible' vehicle that would require a CMVSS 114 letter; i'm assuming that there is a factory immobilizer option that would potentially allow it to be admissible (since no such letter can be produced by Toyota it should be considered not admissible)
See post #9424...

Sorry, but you are wrong...I was interpreting the list the same as you but I now know better...annoying but true...

I can so see how people are getting confused...they need to rewrite the list and put all Toyotas in the inadmissible column because they are all inadmissible now...

Cheers