Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

  • Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer
 
112
33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper
 
149
44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!
 
61
18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same
 
6
2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!
 
7
2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jr. Member
Nov 6, 2002
111 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal
michelb wrote:Not that I want to defend them but are you sure that the delay is actually caused by SubaruCanada? I would think that it's RIV that maintains/updates the list. If it is up to the Canadian supplier, what about cars (or models) that aren't sold in Canada (e.g. Mitsubishi until a few years ago) - who would supply the information for them?
I can confirm that it's Subaru Canada that is holding the information. Subaru of America provided the Compliance Label to Subaru Canada in August (this information was confirmed by 2 sources). Subaru Canada is responsible to give the Compliance Label to RIV. Subaru of America will not provide a copy of the Compliance Label to an end user. Subaru of Canada also confirmed that they are responsible for submiting the Compliance Label to RIV, but they are not doing it now... And they don't know when...
Sr. Member
Mar 27, 2006
974 posts
205 upvotes
I think they will have to do it when they start importing 07 models into CAnada.

As for a good deal....check out where I got mine Evergreen Subaru in Auburn/lewiston Maine. He had the best pricing around! Ask for TonyQ and his number is: 1-888-250-8355

As for getting there....look into the bus....there is a bus from Bangor to Lewiston....so try to get to Bangor. He Also has a new Base gold 06 Tribeca there that I think would likely be around $26,000....worth the extra over a Outback!


For say $3000 more....maybe less, you get a 6 cylinder 250 hp, much larger vehicle (esp the rear seat), 5 speed tiptronic tranny, stability control!!!!, very cool interior, sunroof, 18inch wheels. You do loose some fuel economy.

We love ours....very unique and fun to drive!!!
Member
Jun 27, 2006
498 posts
125 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
IS the Nissan warranty transferable to Canada? Where is the Murano made.
I could find any posts about this.

Thanx
Sr. Member
Mar 27, 2006
974 posts
205 upvotes
I think I read somewhere that the nissan warranty is ok in Canada but don't take my word for it...check. As for the Murano....it's made in Japan.
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2005
621 posts
2 upvotes
Mr. xxx,

The reciprocal warranty agreement with Subaru of America covers US vehicle owners who have purchased US vehicles and currently reside and/or are traveling, transferred, or vacationing in Canada. The intent of the reciprocal warranty agreement is to allow US visitors the benefit of emergency warranty repairs while in Canada.

Yes, we do honour the US warranty. However, you may encounter some delays having warrantable work completed as we do not keep records of US vehicle information in our database and US warranty coverage is not the same as Canadian coverage.

Should you decide to import a US vehicle into Canada you will need to contact the NRIV (National Registrar of Imported Vehicles) at 1-888-848-8240 or online at www.riv.ca for additional information regarding this process.

We trust this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Christina Morris
Senior Consumer Support Representative
After Sales
1-800-894-4212
www.subaru.ca
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 21, 2005
1794 posts
325 upvotes
Lévis
Be very carefull,

The major problems with 2nd hand cars is the mileage history. In Qu
Pourquoi pas?
Newbie
Aug 15, 2003
82 posts
Can I import a brand new car from the US? I'm assuming it is possible as long as I can find a dealer that is willing to sell a new one to me? I'm looking at a brand new Lexus RX350 and since it is made in NA, does that mean I don't have to pay duties? Does anyone have any experience with bringing over a Lexus? I think I read somewhere on this thread that Lexus does honour its warranty in Canada?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 20, 2005
126 posts
Newmarket
As mentioned before both Lexus and Toyota warranty are still valid in Canada.
To get a brand new Lexus or Toyota (less than 10 km) vehicle from US dealer is a bit impossible due to the contract btw Toyota US and Toyota Canada.

However, if you ask around they mind do you a trick to 'treat' your as used or demo but DO expect milage on it.

DrkMnX wrote:Can I import a brand new car from the US? I'm assuming it is possible as long as I can find a dealer that is willing to sell a new one to me? I'm looking at a brand new Lexus RX350 and since it is made in NA, does that mean I don't have to pay duties? Does anyone have any experience with bringing over a Lexus? I think I read somewhere on this thread that Lexus does honour its warranty in Canada?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 15, 2003
1416 posts
145 upvotes
Does the additional 6% for cars assembled in Japan apply to used cars as well or just new? Sorry this thread is starting to get too large and unwieldy to find answers to your questions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I understand that the VIN is the clear indicator of whether Duty applies to an imported car.

If the first character is a number, the car falls under a NAFTA vehicle and is exempt of the 6+ % duty.

If the first character is a letter, you will pay duty PLUS GST.

Northtown Auto sells Lexus and Toyotas to Canadians. For the savings and the track history of those cars, a $20K + savings is worth not having a transferable warranty. I'm not sure if the US warranty would apply to a car that was legally exported so returning it to your purchasing US dealer might not work.

In any event, I personally couldn't care less about having a warranty.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 1, 2003
6634 posts
323 upvotes
jda wrote:Mr. xxx,

The reciprocal warranty agreement with Subaru of America covers US vehicle owners who have purchased US vehicles and currently reside and/or are traveling, transferred, or vacationing in Canada. The intent of the reciprocal warranty agreement is to allow US visitors the benefit of emergency warranty repairs while in Canada.

Yes, we do honour the US warranty. However, you may encounter some delays having warrantable work completed as we do not keep records of US vehicle information in our database and US warranty coverage is not the same as Canadian coverage.

Should you decide to import a US vehicle into Canada you will need to contact the NRIV (National Registrar of Imported Vehicles) at 1-888-848-8240 or online at www.riv.ca for additional information regarding this process.

We trust this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Christina Morris
Senior Consumer Support Representative
After Sales
1-800-894-4212
www.subaru.ca
This is exactly what I posted in post #316 of this thread.
Member
Apr 7, 2004
279 posts
2 upvotes
can we move this monster thread to the automotive forum?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 8, 2004
1180 posts
104 upvotes
Can we start a separate thread in the automotive section for people that purchased bikes/atv's? Wondering how that went for folks
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 15, 2003
1416 posts
145 upvotes
:confused: Why would the warranty not be transferable? I thought we established that Toyota was one of the car companies that allowed this? (as opposed to Honda)
Monsieurmaggot wrote:I understand that the VIN is the clear indicator of whether Duty applies to an imported car.

If the first character is a number, the car falls under a NAFTA vehicle and is exempt of the 6+ % duty.

If the first character is a letter, you will pay duty PLUS GST.

Northtown Auto sells Lexus and Toyotas to Canadians. For the savings and the track history of those cars, a $20K + savings is worth not having a transferable warranty. I'm not sure if the US warranty would apply to a car that was legally exported so returning it to your purchasing US dealer might not work.

In any event, I personally couldn't care less about having a warranty.
Jr. Member
Jan 27, 2005
144 posts
Someone on SD just picked up the Saab 9-2xi for $17,500 + tax, tag, and title. It's an automatic with options (power sunroof & cold weather package). MSRP was $26,790. They're clearing these cars out like hotcakes. Was very impressed with the car and couldn't refuse the deal. If you're thinking about this car or another car, do it the SD way and jump on it soon because once these are Japanese Saabs gone, there will never be another like it since GM sold its 20% interest in Subaru + it qualifies for the GM $5000 instant rebate, but that expires on 10/2.
[QUOTE] How do you do? How do you do? [/QUOTE]

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)