Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Sep 5, 2007
57 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
dynamiteroll wrote: Positive development for Subaru buyers. 2008/2009 Forester is now OFF the list as of today

Too bad my Impreza is still stuck down there.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importat ... /VAFUS.pdf
I am not sure what is going on, but it seems they have just moved the inadmissibility of forester from section 3 to section 5. before it was in the passenger section, now on the multipurpose passenger column.
I wonder if they go by this form, the cbsa officer at the border mark my forester as passenger car, would they just look at the passenger section?
But I doubt it.-_-
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1475 posts
181 upvotes
Mississauga
J233 wrote: Looking for some input here pls:

1. How flexible can US Customs be with the 72 hr requirement ? Let's say the title is faxed on Thursday afternoon and I show up at the border 8 hrs earlier, in the middle of the night Sat/Sun. What are my chances that they will not turn me back to wait for those missing 6-8 hrs ? I am thinking about Blue Water Bridge crossing.

2. To avoid the challenge in #1...can the dealer I bought the car from fax their original title they have in hand (without my name as a purchaser) with the bill of sale tomorrow or even today and then I show up 72 hrs + later with a transfered title with my name on it (will get one on Thursday) - is this gonna work for the US Customs ? I just hope I can expedite the process and not to wait overnight at the border (have to pick up the car on Saturday).
US custom is open M-F, so if faxed on thursday, it would be Monday, or Tuesday. They are so flexible, that when I reached their office @ 3:59, they sent me back, I had to stay there 1 night, for 1 min. job.
Your 2nd option should be good, just call them to confirm.
Jul 20, 2007
211 posts
45 upvotes
Van
jcl4 wrote: I am not sure what is going on, but it seems they have just moved the inadmissibility of forester from section 3 to section 5. before it was in the passenger section, now on the multipurpose passenger column.
I wonder if they go by this form, the cbsa officer at the border mark my forester as passenger car, would they just look at the passenger section?
But I doubt it.-_-

Fark. :evil:
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3065 posts
523 upvotes
lh0628 wrote: Very impressive sales pitch, thanks for the pity. I'm sending you my money as I'm typing this... not!
Oh Mr Luddite, will you please go back to your cave and leave this discussion to those that are interested?

Thank you.
Mar 17, 2002
497 posts
69 upvotes
Vancouver
jcl4 wrote: I am not sure what is going on, but it seems they have just moved the inadmissibility of forester from section 3 to section 5. before it was in the passenger section, now on the multipurpose passenger column.
But I doubt it.-_-
Open the door on your car and look at the sticker. If it's classified as MPV then it's an MPV. The CBSA officer will likely let you bring your car home... the problem is getting your Form 2.
Sep 5, 2007
57 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
badkarma wrote: Open the door on your car and look at the sticker. If it's classified as MPV then it's an MPV. The CBSA officer will likely let you bring your car home... the problem is getting your Form 2.
Actually I didn't have any problem at the border, they let me in, maybe they didn't know since i came in on the 26th and thechagne was made on the same date?
There is nothing in the door other than VIN number not even when it was made, very confused.
Oct 8, 2007
127 posts
5 upvotes
I successfully imported my 2008 5 passenger LTD and wanted to thank all those who have contributed to this forum. I especially appreciated the support given when I had questions. The whole process really was easy as long as you did your homework. I crossed on Friday and it took me less than an hour and twenty minutes from the time I entered US customs until the time I left CDN customs. On Monday I got Form 2, went to crappy tire and then to the MTO in Cambridge. I asked the lady if they have been seen lots of CDN's as of late. She replied that they use to be lucky to see 1 a week and now they see at least a couple a day. Sure enough the very next person beside me was importing his car. The word is spreading!!!

In total I think I saved close to $20K off the CDN MSRP. I exchanged my money at $1.058 which I was pretty happy with. Total price landed in Canada in CDN dollars was just under $33K. Not bad for the quality of vehicle I have.

Again thanks!
May 21, 2007
26 posts
Toronto
My friend bought me a Toyota Camry Le 2007 today, I will go to pick it up end of this week or next week. Hope I will be lucky.
Many people in this forum are very helpful. I am here to say "Thank You!". The little thing I could do is that I registered Carfax last week, and it is valid for 30 days. If any of you wants me to check vehicle history, send me a email 8848.ca@gmail.com before the account is expired.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2002
1304 posts
146 upvotes
Kingston ON
Hi all,
We are now the proud owners of a Subaru Outback (2.5i Limited with VDC - Diamond Gray Metallic with a few extras) courtesy of Karl at Van Bortel's. :cheesygri

It looks great and runs superbly! My wife had no issues whatsoever at the border. The car is in my name - all the US customs wanted to see was the title- matched it to the fax and sent her on her way. I guess they really don't care who is driving the car. Canada customs was painless as well she filled out Form 1, paid the GST and gone lickety split. I paid the RIV fee on-line tonight and will e-mail tomorrow for the form 2 and then off to CT etc. All-in-all with the exchange, difference in price(including savings on GST & PST) we figure that we saved about 15K.

Many thanks to the OP (MM) and all the others that added their 2 cents - we couldn't have done it without you ;)

I will post some pics once the weather clears up (damn winter)

Thanks to all,
Carlos

Free be Freebie
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2002
1304 posts
146 upvotes
Kingston ON
BTW,
It looks like we are going to hit 10,000 posts tonight :!:
Carlos

Free be Freebie
Nov 8, 2007
61 posts
jcl4 wrote: Great post, thanks for the reply.

So I would need to phone TC instead of riv? How would I be able to get the amnesty from TC? to Riv. As someone from Riv have reply me with a email basicly saying " No, if it is in the inadmissible list, we cannot process it"
Do you remember the TC officer's name? maybe I can get a hold of her.
Seriously...half of them at the RIV are meatheads....they seriously do not have the know how or the will to deal with the complicated situations...

I am sorry that I do not have a name for you. I didn't ask because I am not buying immediately at this time. Just call the main transport canada general inquiries line available on their website and listen to the menu items...follow the menus that say press number X for importing vehicles etc...

I would imagine they will open some kind of case number for you or whatever...

Again, please let me know how you make out....

Thanks
Oct 21, 2007
35 posts
Montreal
lh0628, can the smart remarks! If you have been reading this forum, Xan has helped many RFD members save alot of money...along with a few other Subaru sales folks. They have made buying Subarus in the US very easy and painless.
lh0628 wrote: Very impressive sales pitch, thanks for the pity. I'm sending you my money as I'm typing this... not!
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1220 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
SeeWhy2 wrote: Hi all,
We are now the proud owners of a Subaru Outback (2.5i Limited with VDC - Diamond Gray Metallic with a few extras) courtesy of Karl at Van Bortel's. :cheesygri

It looks great and runs superbly!
Exactly what I got.. what a great colour eh?? Enjoy it - I love mine!!
Oct 21, 2007
35 posts
Montreal
Help! I have been trying to post photos of my new Subaru, but I am unable to figure it out. I remember a past post, but my searches have turned up zilch.
Oct 20, 2007
44 posts
alberta
Toyota talks about Canadian rules

calgary.ctv.ca

jsh

POSTED AT 4:56 PM Tuesday, November 27

Toyota Canada's managing director says it's no surprise that Canadians who shop across the border are running into roadblocks.

Stephen Beatty spoke about the problem on Tuesday at the Calgary Chamber of Commerce.

As of September 1st Transport Canada mandated all new vehicles must have a special anti-theft device.

But the United States has no such mandate and that means many American models can no longer be registered in Canada.

Beatty says car manufacturers have lobbied the government for years to harmonize safety rules with the U.S.

Nearly half of all Toyota vehicles can no longer be imported into Canada under the new safety rules.
May 30, 2006
296 posts
13 upvotes
dynamiteroll wrote: Positive development for Subaru buyers. 2008/2009 Forester is now OFF the list as of today

Too bad my Impreza is still stuck down there.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importat ... /VAFUS.pdf
Be careful what You see..

FORESTERS STILL INADMISSIBLE....
they just changed the section for MPV instead of passenger cars...check section 5.4...

EDIT: oups someone already posted this...
Sep 8, 2006
17 posts
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with this particular car and any modifications and associated costs of importing the vehicle to Canada.

Also, this is not a dealer sale, so what would be the best way for me to pay for the vehicle?

Please PM me if you have any sage words of wisdom. Thanks.
Oct 20, 2007
44 posts
alberta
Just received my Canada Certification Label from RIV today!
Proudly attached to my 2008 Tacoma (pre-Sept 1).

Got home Nov 8. Did DRL mod Nov 9. C Tire inspection done on Nov 10. RIV letter shows sent Nov. 16. Crazy Canada Post Nov 27.

Here is a pic before covered in salt and grime :cry:

[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff16 ... ltruck.jpg[/IMG]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)