Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote: Northtown Auto sells Lexus and Toyotas to Canadians. For the savings and the track history of those cars, a $20K + savings is worth not having a transferable warranty.
Toyota Engine Sludge
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
47 upvotes
I'd have to agree with the point I think you're trying to make. I would have to be saving a *lot* of money to forgoe a warranty on a new car.

I am very anti-warranty. The only exception for me is autos.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2815 posts
688 upvotes
Rocklegend wrote:Someone on SD just picked up the Saab 9-2xi for $17,500 + tax, tag, and title. It's an automatic with options (power sunroof & cold weather package). MSRP was $26,790. They're clearing these cars out like hotcakes. Was very impressed with the car and couldn't refuse the deal. If you're thinking about this car or another car, do it the SD way and jump on it soon because once these are Japanese Saabs gone, there will never be another like it since GM sold its 20% interest in Subaru + it qualifies for the GM $5000 instant rebate, but that expires on 10/2.

what's SD???
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Dat be South Dakota?

Santo Domingo?

South Detroit?

Japanese Saabs? Really? Subaru isn't owned by GM.
Oct 27, 2004
167 posts
2 upvotes
Thornhill
Monsieurmaggot wrote:Japanese Saabs? Really? Subaru isn't owned by GM.
The Saab 9-2x is basically an upgraded Subaru Impreza re-badged as a Saab.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
So has anyone in Toronto bought either a Sienna or Odyssey from the U.S?

Where would you go? To Buffalo?
May 12, 2004
732 posts
52 upvotes
I am looking for a Sienna and got a reply back from Jeff at northtown auto

Hello,

I've been informed by my manager that Toyota cannot export vehicles to Canada.

Jeff
j.laidman@northtownauto.com

Can anyone confirm or deny???

Thanks
Jun 3, 2005
192 posts
Thornhill
I read the documentation on the RIV website and it states that you have to pay 6% duty on all cars manufactured outside the North America.. i would think this is a deal killer especially for ppl looking for cheaper BMW/Audi vehicles in the States. hope this is not a noob question. BTW aren't the subarus manufactured outside North America?
- It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity -Albert Einstein
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1853 posts
142 upvotes
many cars are cheap now since they need space for 07 models on the lot. my friend just bought a brand new 06 honda odyssey here the top of the line touring model for their invoice price of $45K + tax. msrp is 50K :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1787 posts
651 upvotes
Calgary
Homeo wrote: I read the documentation on the RIV website and it states that you have to pay 6% duty on all cars manufactured outside the North America.. i would think this is a deal killer especially for ppl looking for cheaper BMW/Audi vehicles in the States. hope this is not a noob question. BTW aren't the subarus manufactured outside North America?
When a thread gets this extensive it's excusable to ask a question that was previously answered (maybe even more than once).
Yes to the 6.1% duty for cars manufactured outside NA.
BMW X5's and Z3/Z4's are made in South Carolina so you can't group by manufacturer only.
I got an M3 and even with duty it was a deal and selection was far superior in addition to never having seen an Alberta winter.
I don't know squat about Audi's so someone else can chime in.
Mar 30, 2006
761 posts
33 upvotes
icu_nxtime wrote: I am looking for a Sienna and got a reply back from Jeff at northtown auto

Hello,

Jeff

Thanks
One of my friend is picking up a brand new 2006 Sienna from
Darcars Toyota Of Silver Spring
12210 Cherry Hill Rd.
Silver Spring , MD 20904

He's picking it up tomorrow. Total price for XLE $35,206 CAD plus tax
(no duty, build in the US)
Sep 28, 2006
1 posts
icu_nxtime wrote: I am looking for a Sienna and got a reply back from Jeff at northtown auto

Hello,

Jeff

Thanks
I've been trying for the last week to get any NY Toyota dealer to sell me a new Toyota Sienna for export to Canada. No success. If anyone has been able to pull this off please let me know... this is starting to feel like an urban myth > :(
Feb 12, 2006
676 posts
73 upvotes
I am looking into buying a Toyota Highlander and most of the dealers will not sell you one if you are going to export it. There is an agreement in place between US and CA Toyota but they will sell you a very good used one. I'm in BC and I found 1 dealer in Washington that will sell me what I'm looking for. The other way to do it would be to provide dealer 2 pieces of ID that will prove you live in states ( friend) and then export it. I have talked to about 6-8 dealers now and they all say Canada is their bread and butter these days....