Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Oct 5, 2005
736 posts
108 upvotes
POSTPONED !!

We need to immediately raise some funds for our information session.

I just set up a "Community Account" at TD Canada Trust: "Canadians For Fair Car Pricing"

You can directly deposit your contribution at any bank.

This is a secure way for anyone to make a contribution to our cause...small large, it all will help. This account also allows complete transparency, as I want everyone who donates to be very comfortable that their money is accounted for, and it will be.

A monthly statement will show our pooled deposits, and anyone can join me at a TD bank if they ever want detailed accounting. I'll keep records of actiual expenses, with receipts of course. Don't know how I can be more fair transparent. After our protest, I'll meet anyone who wants to review this material in person, in Oakville. There is a $1 bank service charge per deposit (only 5 free deposits per month, and $5 a month account fee, fyi).

Here is the account information.

Canadians For Fair Car Pricing
Bank Branch Number 01682-004
Account Number 0168-5216953

Any questions, please just ask.

addendum: extra proceeds will be donated to a hospital or majority's choice of charity

We need donations and volunteers so that we will be ready for Dec. 8.

We also need YOU to attend!!

Link to other protest organizing thread on RFD:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... ost6006088
Sep 11, 2007
6 posts
Really enjoy reading all those posting here, very informative and well thought out. The only solutions here are political ones. We must bring pressure to bear on both sides of the border. The quicker we all do it, the quicker the results will benefit our situ. Once we shine the light of day on these bandits, and how we are being ripped off, the better it will be for all of us.

The Lawsuit mentioned previously is still on going in the State of New Hampshire were it was filed. Our friends at Toyota USA paid $35 Million to get out of the suit, admitting no blame, in March 2005. The matter continues against GM, Ford,Chrysler and Nissan etc. Do you think these guys ever learn!! Oh Well..
Aug 14, 2006
232 posts
1 upvote
Its so frustrating reading this thread! I remember when I first started reading this 7-8 months ago and was really excited, seeing some Canadains getting good deals on US cars, now our own Government (pressured by Canadain Car manufactures) is trying, and sucseeding us from importing new cars! It total BS, and I don't know what we can do about it. Its not just cars but ATV's, ski-doo's, baby seats, whats next, they won't let us croos the boarder and shop at all. Why can't we benifit from our strong dollar? The American's did! Its funny how all of a sudden this Imoblizer becomes an issue on all 2008models built after sept 01/07, or Manufactures raise the price of recall letters. Something has to be done on behalf of the CANADIAN CONSUMER!!! Let us choose if we want to go through the hassel of buying a US car, I will glady take the hit in 10 years when I go to sell my car, its should be my/our choice! Had to get that off my chest! So who should we be writting letters to, its a slow time at work and I am pissed/board.
Thanks
Oct 15, 2007
120 posts
2 upvotes
sos1 wrote: .. The only solutions here are political ones. We must bring pressure to bear on both sides of the border. The quicker we all do it, the quicker the results will benefit our situ. Once we shine the light of day on these bandits, and how we are being ripped off, the better it will be for all of us...
Having worked around the world and interacted with many goverments along the way, some worse than others, there is a common theme to power.

While you may think the politicians actually care in any given situation, that is irrelevant. The real power lies in the various bureaucracies one layer down, that are immune to elections and public opinions. The front persons are disposable, and like the queen bee, are totally dependent on the senior deputys who feed them wax or sugar.

The Administrative layer needs to remain autonomus to hold the power. That includes doing whatever to deflect blame or not look weak. TC and the $32 immobilizer-who-cares is a case in point. They will not backtrack, even if it threatens to topple their minister, or for that matter, the government. And the Queen Bee is powerless to fire them, as they can be most effectively vendictive. Sad, but that's the reality.

All we sheep can do is work to find out, one by one, who in the faceless administration are actually responsible for these absurd administrative/regulatory decisions, publish them on the internet, and thereby strip them of their coveted cover and the ability to stonewall the political layer who really don't know dick, or don't have any independent way of making sense of dick.

Welcome to democracy. You do have the power, but you need to expose the chapter and verse in an entrenched administration such as TC that has survived and thrived across all parties and many decades of old boy public service. And in this century of the internet, you can expose lots.
Nov 28, 2006
120 posts
c/o importcarcanada.com

OK.. here is the official word from BMW.

(source: BMW Canada, 1-800-567-2691, Michelle, EXT 5650)

1) Client MUST purchase the Admissibility Letter from BMW Canada. Cost is $350.00; eta is 2 - 5 business days.

2) DEPENDANT ON MODEL and YEAR, car will have to have work done from a BMW Canada dealer to make the DRL (daytime running lights) PERMANENT. YOU CANNOT SIMPLY USE iDRIVE to turn them on. Without having a Canadian Dealer do this work, BMW CA will not issue to a recall letter.

EXAMPLES:
BMW 2007 Z4 - Changes to DRL's can be done via software by dealer. No word on cost.
BMW 2007/2008 3-Series - Changes to DRL's can be done via software BUT ALSO the US cluster MUST be changed to the CANADIAN cluster to make the DRL changes PERMANENT. The cost to do this is roughly $1500.00.

3) Once the changes are made by the BMW CA dealer, they will forward the information to BMW Corporate who will then allow you to order the recall letter at a cost of $500.00.

4) You can now register your car in Canada.

5) BMW sucks.
rg -
Feb 26, 2003
295 posts
21 upvotes
shoprbccom wrote: c/o importcarcanada.com

1) Client MUST purchase the Admissibility Letter from BMW Canada. Cost is $350.00; eta is 2 - 5 business days.

2) DEPENDANT ON MODEL and YEAR, car will have to have work done from a BMW Canada dealer to make the DRL (daytime running lights) PERMANENT. YOU CANNOT SIMPLY USE iDRIVE to turn them on. Without having a Canadian Dealer do this work, BMW CA will not issue to a recall letter.

EXAMPLES:
BMW 2007 Z4 - Changes to DRL's can be done via software by dealer. No word on cost.
BMW 2007/2008 3-Series - Changes to DRL's can be done via software BUT ALSO the US cluster MUST be changed to the CANADIAN cluster to make the DRL changes PERMANENT. The cost to do this is roughly $1500.00.

3) Once the changes are made by the BMW CA dealer, they will forward the information to BMW Corporate who will then allow you to order the recall letter at a cost of $500.00.

5) BMW sucks.
I know, I just got this from BMW USA:
Due to a recent change in protocol, BMW Canada will now be handling recall
clearance letter requests for an administrative fee. Additionally, as of
November 26th, 2007 you will now require a letter of admissibility in order to
bring a vehicle into Canada. This letter will be in addition to the recall
clearance letter, both of which you must source through Canadian BMW or MINI
Retailers. If you are interested in obtaining these letters for your vehicle,
please contact a BMW center in Canada. Should you need it, you will find a
complete listing of authorized centers in Canada at
http://bmw.ca/com/en/index_highend.html.

If you encounter any issues or have any concerns, please contact BMW Canada for
more information on warranty services in their country. BMW Canada can be
reached at (800) 567-2691.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or have any questions by
contacting the Customer Relations and Services Department at (800) 831-1117,
Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Again,
thank you for contacting BMW.
I am off to Seattle this weekend to see if the dealers there will issue it anyways...I'm sure they don't give a sh*t about canada's policies...
Support Cellular Class Action - Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido, Sasktel, MTS, Aliant Class Actions.

Get your $8.95/month "System Access Fee" BACK!

http://www.merchantlaw.com/cellular.html
Oct 31, 2007
467 posts
10 upvotes
shoprbccom wrote: c/o importcarcanada.com

EXAMPLES:

5) BMW sucks.
Bastards. Well, more than likely an Infiniti G35 for me now...

Was looking at nearly-new 3-series, but BMW Canada are now being jerks about things.
May 21, 2007
26 posts
Toronto
I talked with TC and transportation Ontario, the US temporary plate (drive away plate) that dealer gives to you only valid until border, we need a trip permit in Ontario to bring the car home. trip permit only for 10 days, can't be reissued and extended.

Any one used this trip permit before? or other solutions?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5955 posts
1616 upvotes
1treehill wrote: I talked with TC and transportation Ontario, the US temporary plate (drive away plate) that dealer gives to you only valid until border, we need a trip permit in Ontario to bring the car home. trip permit only for 10 days, can't be reissued and extended.

When I picked up my vehicle, I got the temp plate from them. Then I phoned MPI (Manitoba), and I paid for 5 day insurance. Faxed it, back, and was good to go. After the 5 days I needed another 5 days so went to local inurance place and they gave me another 5 days. I drove about 7 days with no plates, and you can't see the temp plate in the rear window and was not pulled over once.
Feb 26, 2003
295 posts
21 upvotes
OK this BMW thing has got me really upset!!!! I have just filed a complaint with the Competition bureau as I think that the complaint has merit. Since BMW just changed their policies and were providing the letters before for free, it can only be called collusive behaviour per the competition act. here is my complaint outlined below. Please send your too guys...We're gonna ruffle a lot of feathers in this fight!

[quote]
Competition Bureau of Canada

RE: Anti-Competitive practices of BMW Canada in direct Violation of the Competition act.

Dear Sir,

I would like to file a formal complaint on the anti-competitive practices of BMW Canada. BMW Canada has harassed, pressured and belittled its customers who have the brain power to realize that they are over charging in Canada and seeking to arbitrage the current currency advantage by purchasing a car in the US. Their actions directly contravene section 1.1 of the Competition act which states that
Support Cellular Class Action - Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido, Sasktel, MTS, Aliant Class Actions.

Nov 27, 2007
1 posts
scarborough
tfpltk wrote: Please help!
The first bus/train arrives Rochester at approx. 1pm and 2:30pm respectively. Neither option would leave me enough time to get back to the border before the U.S. Customs close at 3:30 p.m. Even if I spend a night in Rochester will be very inconvenient (being car-less) and/or expensive (Motel + $50-60 cab ride, I was told). So, those who live in Toronto and have picked up a car from Karl, how did you do that?
Thanks
First off, you must be saving lotsa money, so what if you have to spend a few bucks for lodging and accomodation. Second, be VERY VERY careful, Karl cannot get you a temporary plate without some signed papers. It took about 2 hours to get it, and it really really pushed close to the closing time at the border. Sometimes, the border people close up early and leave. You should go by train 1 day earlier (sunday) and then ask Karl to pick you up from the motel (he always offers this option).
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1051 posts
30 upvotes
Thornhill
heatwave wrote: First off, you must be saving lotsa money, so what if you have to spend a few bucks for lodging and accomodation. Second, be VERY VERY careful, Karl cannot get you a temporary plate without some signed papers. It took about 2 hours to get it, and it really really pushed close to the closing time at the border. Sometimes, the border people close up early and leave. You should go by train 1 day earlier (sunday) and then ask Karl to pick you up from the motel (he always offers this option).
You can always rent an one-way car, drop off at the airport and get Karl to pick you up there. That way you can leave as early as possible and still be able to finish it in one day.
Nov 28, 2006
120 posts
t_garp wrote: I know, I just got this from BMW USA:

I am off to Seattle this weekend to see if the dealers there will issue it anyways...I'm sure they don't give a sh*t about canada's policies...
Umm.. if you can't register the car, it won't do you much good. Why not just call the dealers?
rg -
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
1treehill wrote: I talked with TC and transportation Ontario, the US temporary plate (drive away plate) that dealer gives to you only valid until border, we need a trip permit in Ontario to bring the car home. trip permit only for 10 days, can't be reissued and extended.

Getting one of this temp permit in Ontario depend on the luck of the draw. Some office will give it to you if you have a copy of the MCO.

Others want an original copy, no dealers will courier it to you unless you paid for the vehicle in advance. In my case, screw MTO and just drive with my US temp plate until certification.
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Feb 26, 2003
295 posts
21 upvotes
More letters I have sent off in my rant.

[quote]
Canadian Consumer Information Gateway - Office of Consumer Affairs
Industry Canada
235 Queen Street
6th Floor West
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0H5
Tel: (613) 946-2576
E-mail: consumer.information@ic.gc.ca
RE: Charging for a safety recall clearance letter by BMW Canada

Dear Sir,

I would like to file a formal complaint on the anti-competitive practices of BMW Canada. BMW Canada has harassed, pressured and belittled its customers who have the brain power to realize that they are over charging in Canada and seeking to arbitrage the current currency advantage by purchasing a car in the US. Their actions directly contravene section 1.1 of the Competition act which states that

Feb 26, 2003
295 posts
21 upvotes
And the last one to Elliot Spitzer and the FTC

[quote]
Dear Mr. Spitzer,

You have long been an advocate for the little guy and I hope you are willing to press this issue for the sake of Canadian consumers as well as New York State auto dealers.

As you may know, the decline of the US dollar has created an opportunity for Canadians to arbitrage the currency and purchase a car in the US. Per a recent study by Scotia Bank, Imports of vehicles bought by Canadians in the United States hit a record of almost 25,000 ion October 2007, are on pace to reach another 22,000 to 23,000 in November and will likely hit an annual record when the results for all of 2007 are tallied. This exports of vehicles create jobs and support the American economy.

However, recently the auto manufacturers have engaged in collusive behaviour to discourage the exportation of cars into Canada. These actions directly contravene US and Canadian antitrust laws designed to promote the interests of consumers, support unfettered markets and result in lower prices and more choices.

For example, starting November 26, 2007, BMW Canada and BMW USA have engaged in collusive behaviour Prior to this date, if one were to purchase a BMW in the US one would be able to obtain a recall clearance letter or a vehicle inquiry report that would satisfy Transport Canada and the Registrar of Imported Vehicles for free from a Canadian or US BMW dealer. BMW Canada realizing it has been losing sales and has colluded with BMW USA for them to stop issuing the recall clearance letter and have started to charge Canadian consumers $350 for the letter (which simply states that there are no outstanding recalls. In my opinion, this letter is the property of the vehicle owner and NOT the manufacturer as the consumer has the right to know if there are ANY safety recalls outstanding on his vehicle as a result of manufacturer errors. In no way can the consumer be at fault for what is in this report and the manufacturer is obliged by law to fix any outstanding recalls as it is a safety issue.). On top of that BMW Canada has instructed their Canadian dealers to not perform warranty work on the cars (even thought the cars have a North American warranty) unless the customers pays a $500 fee to validate the cars admissibility. If this is their official position, it is in contradiction to the terms of the warranty. And if BMW Canada has serviced an American car anytime in the past without this $500 fee it is further proof that this is simply anti-competitive behaviour.

I have already filed a formal complaint with the Competition bureau of Canada as I along with many Canadian consumers was harassed, pressured and belittled by BMW in my efforts to arbitrage the current currency advantage by purchasing a car in the US. Their actions directly contravene section 1.1 of the Competition act which states that

Aug 14, 2006
232 posts
1 upvote
t_garp wrote: OK this BMW thing has got me really upset!!!! I have just filed a complaint with the Competition bureau as I think that the complaint has merit. Since BMW just changed their policies and were providing the letters before for free, it can only be called collusive behaviour per the competition act. here is my complaint outlined below. Please send your too guys...We're gonna ruffle a lot of feathers in this fight!

Please keep us up to date on what happens!
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1374 posts
87 upvotes
Mississauga
Maybe things changed in last 3 months, I was told that US temp tag, is good here. I drove with it for 1 month, without getting pulled over once. Actually, I did not even put my Ont plates for 2 weeks, after I got them, still waiting for 407 bill :cheesygri