Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

  • Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer
 
112
33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper
 
149
44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!
 
61
18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same
 
6
2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!
 
7
2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 15, 2007
120 posts
2 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote: ..

I swear, I should get a commission or at least a license plate bracket. I would love to advertise my US purchased vehicle.

Let the fun begin...
I might have a few left over from Hawaii...
Member
User avatar
Feb 26, 2003
299 posts
22 upvotes
Another one, I know I said in the Letter I would file under the Access to Information Act, but I just did. It cost $5 to start the process. I want to see the documents that TC relied upon to change their list. They better be bulletproof as to why one can retroactively change the list...I doubt it! I think that this is very good ammo. They really f**ked up on that one.


[quote]The Honourable Lawrence Cannon
Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities
Tower C - 330 Sparks St.
K1A 0N5
mintc@tc.gc.ca

RE: Allowing Car manufacturer to control the RIV admissibility list.

Dear Mr. Cannon,

I am writing to you to address a deeply troubling event that has just occurred as at November 26, 2007. As at that date Transport Canada changed the admissibility requirements for importing a BMW into Canada. Previously listed vehicles, for which I assume admissibility was previously confirmed, were removed from the list and honest tax-paying Canadians were put at the mercy of the Germans. I can only assume that this was a temporary error in judgement by an overzealous Transport Canada employee. As I cannot fathom how cars which were clearly listed as FULLY admissible just days ago are suddenly and unjustly wrenched from the list.

The actions of transport Canada are not only immoral and irresponsible, they are borderline illegal. It is unthinkable that Transport Canada will allow BMW Canada to dictate what is admissible and give them the ability to remove previously admissible vehicles from the list. Transport Canada has the admissibility information on file and I want access to it. I hope that you take immediate action or I will have to file under the Access to Information Act to see a copy of the previously acceptable admissibility documents AND whatever correspondence BMW Canada sent to Transport Canada on or before November 26, 2007 to convince your department that the vehicles were no longer admissible. Section 2.1 of the Access to Information Act gives the right of access to this information as the records under the control of you ministry should be made available to the public.

Under the old procedure, a Canadian drove to the US, picked up his car, exported it from US customs, and went to Canada customs, paid taxes and duty. Went home filed the RIV documents, waited for the forms, got it inspected at Canadian Tire (passed as NO modifications were required) and waited 2
Support Cellular Class Action - Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido, Sasktel, MTS, Aliant Class Actions.

Get your $8.95/month "System Access Fee" BACK!

http://www.merchantlaw.com/cellular.html
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1892 posts
222 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote: I understand that a large Western New York Subaru dealer has been sitting on the sidelines quietly reading these posts and enjoying the extra traffic in their showroom. (Okay, they called me to say they're also reading this post daily).
Is it Northtown Subaru? :D

Monsieurmaggot wrote: With the year-end fast approaching, expect to see REBATES, Internet incentives ($75-$100) plus and additional incentives of at least $1000 in holdbacks coming to the table.
I have been holding out for this. I'm eager to find out what Subaru's rebate will be for December. Too bad what ever benefit we gain from extra incentive will be washed from the decline in the C$. Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'll pull the trigger next month.

Thanks you Monsieurmaggot for this informative thread.
Member
User avatar
Mar 11, 2006
441 posts
30 upvotes
flatman wrote: Go to Globe and Mail and see the comments for this story. So far over 40 people have posted, none of them supporting this "journalist's" stance.

Post your feelings:

http://www.globeauto.com/servlet/story/ ... eAuto/home
Here's my comment:

Toyota Sienna in 2006 back when the Canadian dollar was much lower than it is now (.86 I believe). I saved approx. $6000.00 on a base CE. I now read stories of all the people who are experiencing roadblocks to importing from car companies who: refuse to sell them a car (Toyota, Honda, etc.) , fail to honour warranty on a US vehicle in Canada (Honda, etc.), refusing to issue recall letters that the Registrar of Imported Vehicles require (Honda), charging excessive rates for recall letters (BMW - $500), etc.. Our own Transport Canada brings in a requirement (CMVSS114) that makes a whole bunch of US vehicles inadmissable. What is going on here? I thought TC worked for the Canadian public. Why is our own TC erecting barriers to Canadians legally importing vehicles into Canada? What happened to NAFTA. NAFTA seems to work great for companies (GM, VW, etc.) exporting jobs to Mexico where they pay their workers much less than they would in Canada. When the average Canadian attempts to take advantage of NAFTA some companies and even our own government (Transport Canada) do everything in their power to stop us. As Canadian consumers, I believe it is our duty, not to purchase from Canadian car retailers who charge 1000s more than they should. We should be supporting companies and retailers who charge a reasonable amount for a vehicle that is easily importable into Canada.
I think as Canadians we also need to ask what is going on here and put pressure on our elected officials.
Good luck to everyone importing a US vehicle. Enjoy your savings!! I sure am:-)

I am truly pissed at what is going on here. At least we know who is running the country - it's the car companies :cheesygri
Newbie
Oct 20, 2007
44 posts
alberta
Ford must be in really sad shape. The vehicles are mostly all admissable but does anyone notice or care? Good thing Brazil is buying them.
Sr. Member
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
You might be able to twist my arm on the 'Stang GT or the Edge.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 7, 2005
3935 posts
5327 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
dsds wrote: Ford must be in really sad shape. The vehicles are mostly all admissable but does anyone notice or care? Good thing Brazil is buying them.
What is Ford's warranty position, or more importantly, will they sell to Canadians?

I'm looking to buy an '08 Stang
Newbie
Oct 21, 2007
35 posts
Montreal
Email I sent to Jeremy Cato...full of #$$%^^&^.

Mr. Cato,

I can use much stronger language...you are full of it. Journalists are supposed to be objective. Your column "Attention shoppers: beware red tape" is so full of errors and misleading information that it is almost criminal. Just quoting Dennis DesRosiers confirms that you are lazy journalist that simply regurgitates wrong facts. I have to wonder if you are actually being paid by the auto manufacturers to spout their lame excuses for fleecing Canadians out of thousands of dollars.

I speak from personal experience. I just imported a brand new 2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited. I saved $15000 dollars after all taxes and expenses have been factored in. Other cars I researched and considered buying:

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL - $9000 savings
2008 Volkswagen Jetta GLI - $10000 savings

Many other compact to mid-size cars fall into a savings range of $5000-10000.

The process of importing is straightforward to follow and is definitely not complicated. The auto manufacturers and Transport Canada are making it complicated. Journalists like you are causing additional confusion.

Investigate, do some homework, then report the facts!!!

http://www.carswithoutborders.com/
http://www.carburner.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=307601
www.ataleoftwoprices.com

ac328 wrote: WARNING: The following article contains high levels of BS. Reader discretion is advised.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Attention shoppers: beware red tape
JEREMY CATO

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

November 29, 2007 at 12:00 AM EST

According to the North American Automobile Trade Association (NAATA), a trade group of vehicle importers and exporters, the number of vehicles bought in the Unites States and imported into Canada is on pace to reach 164,000 this year.
Member
Nov 8, 2007
272 posts
55 upvotes
White Rock BC
raskal wrote: What is Ford's warranty position, or more importantly, will they sell to Canadians?

I'm looking to buy an '08 Stang
Ford warranty valid. Ford allows dealers to sell new to Canadians. No duty. Verify with RIV admissibility regarding immobilizer. The DRL is turned on with an ECU flash.


Admissible
2007 AND 2008 All models built
after September 1st, 2007 and
newer models if equipped with the
Ford Securilock Antitheft
Immobilizer System.
Sr. Member
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
Ford US dealers will not be able to pass along any Ford factory incentives as they will have to refund them back to Ford once the car is sold out of country...however there is still alot of room for the dealer to negotiate.

List Stang GT Canada $33,999

List Stang GT Deluxe US $25,840

Hmm.. $8,150 !!!!
Sr. Member
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
Interesting comments from Candriver.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/08a4_avant.htm

"Speaking of price, the base price of the 2008 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI dropped by more than a thousand dollars since it was first announced in April, 2007. At that time, the base A4 Avant was $43,600, an increase of $1,260 over the 2007 model. As of September 1, 2007, the base price was lowered back down to $42,350 - no doubt as a result of strong consumer pressure to bring Canadian prices closer to lower American prices.
Still, a quick check of the Audi USA web site reveals that the '08 A4 Avant 2.0T starts at U.S.$32,000 - however, the American model doesn't include standard leather seats and a few other features that are standard in the Canadian A4 - still, the price difference is considerable."

No kidding....
Newbie
Oct 21, 2007
35 posts
Montreal
Thanks to SeeWhy2 and DSDS for helping with photo upload...still unable to get the photo to display on post. So, I have put the link to the photo album! Saves space on the forum.

Here are 2 photos of my new Subie!!! The photos were taken on the dealer lot. Finally got around to getting my Quebec plates tonight. Only step left is getting the RIV stickers. Love this car!

http://picasaweb.google.com/bluemule999
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2151 posts
343 upvotes
Canada
bluemule999 wrote: Thanks to SeeWhy2 and DSDS for helping with photo upload...still unable to get the photo to display on post. So, I have put the link to the photo album! Saves space on the forum.

Here are 2 photos of my new Subie!!! The photos were taken on the dealer lot. Finally got around to getting my Quebec plates tonight. Only step left is getting the RIV stickers. Love this car!

http://picasaweb.google.com/bluemule999

Do people actually stick the RIV sticker on the car? What on earth for? I sure didn't and I took the sticker they stuck on my windshield for the provincial inspection off as well
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 8, 2002
971 posts
219 upvotes
bluemule999 wrote: Thanks to SeeWhy2 and DSDS for helping with photo upload...still unable to get the photo to display on post. So, I have put the link to the photo album! Saves space on the forum.

Here are 2 photos of my new Subie!!! The photos were taken on the dealer lot. Finally got around to getting my Quebec plates tonight. Only step left is getting the RIV stickers. Love this car!

http://picasaweb.google.com/bluemule999
Beautiful car! Congrats! Who'd you buy it off of? Xan or Jack?
Newbie
Oct 31, 2007
67 posts
here is detailed A4 prices comparision http://ataleoftwoprices.com/default.aspx?ModelID=15

Danno2005 wrote: Interesting comments from Candriver.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/08a4_avant.htm

"Speaking of price, the base price of the 2008 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI dropped by more than a thousand dollars since it was first announced in April, 2007. At that time, the base A4 Avant was $43,600, an increase of $1,260 over the 2007 model. As of September 1, 2007, the base price was lowered back down to $42,350 - no doubt as a result of strong consumer pressure to bring Canadian prices closer to lower American prices.
Still, a quick check of the Audi USA web site reveals that the '08 A4 Avant 2.0T starts at U.S.$32,000 - however, the American model doesn't include standard leather seats and a few other features that are standard in the Canadian A4 - still, the price difference is considerable."

No kidding....
Compare car prices between U.S. and Canada at www.ATaleofTwoPrices.com
Newbie
Sep 5, 2007
57 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
I just got my Form 2 today, went to ctires for the inspection, got there at 4, but was told I had to come back tomorrow.

I was wondering if any of you had to do any mod on new vehicles other than DRL?

Also What do I do after I get the form 2 done? At the bottom say Fax immediatly to 1888-xxxxxxxxx. So do I have to fax it there before I get my insurance and plates? Or what exactly is the process after getting the stamp from crappy tires?

btw I got a 08 forester xt sports if your wondering
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 31, 2006
508 posts
114 upvotes
bluemule999 wrote: Thanks to SeeWhy2 and DSDS for helping with photo upload...still unable to get the photo to display on post. So, I have put the link to the photo album! Saves space on the forum.

Here are 2 photos of my new Subie!!! The photos were taken on the dealer lot. Finally got around to getting my Quebec plates tonight. Only step left is getting the RIV stickers. Love this car!

http://picasaweb.google.com/bluemule999
Wow! that car looks stunning, congrats! On another note - I have been reading up with posts I missed for a week and it seems Canadians are now being screwed over on a daily basis in this auto "scam".

We need some aerial advertising pointing to www.carburner.com with an eye catching phrase...??? There has got to be a way to get this out to more people as you can't rely on the media doing it
Banned
Oct 5, 2007
11 posts
I'm sick and tired of reading about people publicly critisizing my methods. I'm not going to name any names, but you know who you are. You're absolutely correct, I have ten posts, now eleven, and each and every one of them promotes myself. How much money have I saved RFD members? I've never claimed to be the only show in town. That's the thing about it, consumers can buy a new Subaru from whomever they want to. They choose to buy from me. Do you know why they buy from me? They purchase from me, because they don't get stuck at the border with bad or disorganized paperwork, because they save thousands, because they've heard great reviews about me. That's why they buy from me. Of course I'm making money off the sales, I don't work for free, nobody does. My pricing is always fair, always way below invoice and there are no surprises when dealing with me. For those of you who don't want me on this post anymore, why don't you ask how the 35 RFD members who love me feel about me being on this post? If this post is so bad, then stop reading it! It's that simple, and do yourself a favor. If you're going to mention your 5th grade kid in a post, have him proof read it for errors so you don't look like a fool. For those of you serious about buying a Subaru please contact me so I can help you save thousands...
Banned
User avatar
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
ManchSubaruDealer wrote: I'm sick and tired of reading about people publicly critisizing my methods. I'm not going to name any names, but you know who you are. You're absolutely correct, I have ten posts, now eleven, and each and every one of them promotes myself. How much money have I saved RFD members? I've never claimed to be the only show in town. That's the thing about it, consumers can buy a new Subaru from whomever they want to. They choose to buy from me. Do you know why they buy from me? They purchase from me, because they don't get stuck at the border with bad or disorganized paperwork, because they save thousands, because they've heard great reviews about me. That's why they buy from me. Of course I'm making money off the sales, I don't work for free, nobody does. My pricing is always fair, always way below invoice and there are no surprises when dealing with me. For those of you who don't want me on this post anymore, why don't you ask how the 35 RFD members who love me feel about me being on this post? If this post is so bad, then stop reading it! It's that simple, and do yourself a favor. If you're going to mention your 5th grade kid in a post, have him proof read it for errors so you don't look like a fool. For those of you serious about buying a Subaru please contact me so I can help you save thousands...
I don't see any difference between you and a ROGERS cell phone dealer coming into the Rogers Retentions thread and saying"I can save you tons of money blah blah blah blah".
Air Canada Aeroplan Super Elite Reservations: 1-800-401-7201 or 514-369-7598
get unlimited calls or other discounts by calling directly to:
Fido Retentions: call 611 then push 7, then push 3 - or Rogers Retentions 1-514-734-7873 or 1-866-228-7109
Telus Mobility: 1-877-279-3100 or 416-279-3100 or 1 416 296 7669 client.loyalty@telus.com
Bell Mobility: 1-866-313-1086
nice chairs http://www.eternitymodern.ca
great value - lol http://www.walmart.ca

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

snowhite445