Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Oct 20, 2007
44 posts
alberta
I'm sure all of you Subaru followers will agree with me.

I say Xan is a great guy and should be congratulated for being part of the solution and not the problem.

Xan, I've never met you but keep up the good work, enjoy the sales, and I hope you get more. If I was in your area, I'd buy from you.

Cheers!
Oct 20, 2007
44 posts
alberta
st7860 wrote: I don't see any difference between you and a ROGERS cell phone dealer coming into the Rogers Retentions thread and saying"I can save you tons of money blah blah blah blah".
I respect what you're saying but in this case I think he has saved lots of people lots of money. I'm sure we'll hear more when all of those Subaru drivers in the east wake up and smell their money.
Oct 31, 2007
67 posts
dsds wrote: I'm sure all of you Subaru followers will agree with me.

I say Xan is a great guy and should be congratulated for being part of the solution and not the problem.

Xan, I've never met you but keep up the good work, enjoy the sales, and I hope you get more. If I was in your area, I'd buy from you.

Cheers!
agreed. Xan is part of the solution. We need more Xan-like U.S dealers here.
Compare car prices between U.S. and Canada at www.ATaleofTwoPrices.com
Dec 27, 2006
27 posts
Mississauga
Hi Guys,

Because of the 72 hour rule and the fact that I won't be able to get the ownership until I pickup the vehicle, was wondering if I would be able to pickup the vehicle fax the ownership to US customs and cross the border with the vehicle back into Canada without doing the export first. After the 72 hour mark, go back with the car and do the export/import process?

Reason for this is obviously I am hoping to do this myself without having to involve someone else with a 2nd car to drive me back to pickup the vehicle. Thx
Sep 1, 2007
113 posts
This thread is/was all about helping fellow Canadians getting great deals by importing vehicles. Some people here should at least try to contribute to the effort, if not then please stop being @$$holes.

Sure Xan came here to promote himself, to help his business a little, so what? Who isn't? Now I only came to this site upon the discovery of this thread, hence haven't been here for long, but for whatever short amount of time I've spent on this thread, two things I've learned: 1. Subaru makes great cars for the money. Though a bit on the expensive side, but you get your money's worth (too bad Toyota/Honda likes to say "F*CK Canadians, eh?"); 2. Manchester Subaru doesn't take this opportunity to rip-off Canadians like most dealers do, and actually makes an effort to respect our business by providing us with fair prices. Followed by Van Bortel, more expensive, but still cheaper/more trust worthy than the next closest dealer to Toronto. If the 1000KM wasn't so intimidating, I'd definitely go with Manchester.

To all the nay-sayers, if you have a better dealer in mind (for whatever brand), please, please, PLEASE SHARE with us! If not, go get yourself a snack, a cup of tea, and calm down! Unless you too, are importing a vehicle, I don't see any reason why you should waste valuable time reading/commenting on this.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2001
1446 posts
223 upvotes
GTA
Picking up a 2008 Camry SE in Virginia on Saturday am...crossing at Queenston / Lewiston on Monday am. Hope to see some of you there!
Jun 16, 2004
278 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
A silly question: do you always have to ship the car to your residence in Canada or you can come to pick up the car in US and drive across the border and do the paper work?

I'm wondering if you don't register till in Canada and don't have the licence plate, how can you drive on the road?

bear with me pls......
Sep 8, 2007
9 posts
ManchSubaruDealer wrote: I'm sick and tired of reading about people publicly critisizing my methods. I'm not going to name any names, but you know who you are. You're absolutely correct, I have ten posts, now eleven, and each and every one of them promotes myself. How much money have I saved RFD members? I've never claimed to be the only show in town. That's the thing about it, consumers can buy a new Subaru from whomever they want to. They choose to buy from me. Do you know why they buy from me? They purchase from me, because they don't get stuck at the border with bad or disorganized paperwork, because they save thousands, because they've heard great reviews about me. That's why they buy from me. Of course I'm making money off the sales, I don't work for free, nobody does. My pricing is always fair, always way below invoice and there are no surprises when dealing with me. For those of you who don't want me on this post anymore, why don't you ask how the 35 RFD members who love me feel about me being on this post? If this post is so bad, then stop reading it! It's that simple, and do yourself a favor. If you're going to mention your 5th grade kid in a post, have him proof read it for errors so you don't look like a fool. For those of you serious about buying a Subaru please contact me so I can help you save thousands...
Xan
Just ignore those guys.

I contacted a half a dozen different Subaru dealers in the Northern States and Xan gave me the bext price. In the end I bought a Tribeca from Xan at Manchester Subaru and saved over $15,000 versus what I would pay in Canada. I agree, Xan is not part of the problem, he's part of the solution.

Mike
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2002
1294 posts
140 upvotes
Kingston ON
champion_qh wrote: A silly question: do you always have to ship the car to your residence in Canada or you can come to pick up the car in US and drive across the border and do the paper work?
That is what I did - picked it up and drove it back and paperwork at border.
champion_qh wrote: I'm wondering if you don't register till in Canada and don't have the licence plate, how can you drive on the road? bear with me pls......
Karl provided me with NYS tempory licence good until Dec 19th. I got my form 2 yesterday via e-mail so hope to get to CT and Lic. Bureau today.
Carlos

Free be Freebie
Sep 3, 2007
635 posts
63 upvotes
Aurora
Snocow wrote: Picking up a 2008 Camry SE in Virginia on Saturday am...crossing at Queenston / Lewiston on Monday am. Hope to see some of you there!
Try and be at the US export office early Monday morning. I was there at 6:45 am last Monday morning and I was the 3rd guy in line. By the time the office opened at 8:00 am, the line was good 15-20 deep. Also, when you get there, don't sit in your car like me thinking there is no one around. Get out, go into the builiding and stand outside the export office door. First in first out.

Good Luck!
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2979 posts
721 upvotes
I have no plans to buy a Subie (not fuel efficient enough for me) but I have no problems with Xan or Karl posting in this thread - this is afterall a "HOT DEALS" thread and they have posted what are indeed HOT deals (if savings of $15000 is not a hot deal then get your arse out of this thread and onto some other site) unlike the lame Nissan Canada rebate thread. They have actually given options to potential RFD buyers and I'm sure have even convinced several who were on the fence!

:razz:
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
heavychemist wrote: Xan
Just ignore those guys.

I contacted a half a dozen different Subaru dealers in the Northern States and Xan gave me the bext price. In the end I bought a Tribeca from Xan at Manchester Subaru and saved over $15,000 versus what I would pay in Canada. I agree, Xan is not part of the problem, he's part of the solution.

Mike
Xan - Certain folks try to "ruin a good thing". No use trying to understand - it is just human nature I guess.

Keep up the good fight and believe that the vast majority of folks here are rooting for you.

Danno

:)
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
I went to the US Export office on Wednesday this week at 1:30 at Queenston. The process took about 60 seconds, there were three other guys there, I didn't have to wait more than a minute.
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
Cost me $400 for my 2008. They change the F to C on the digital thermometers, trip computer, change the odometer and speedometer. Now you'd never know the difference.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5246 posts
339 upvotes
Danno2005 wrote: Xan - Certain folks try to "ruin a good thing". No use trying to understand - it is just human nature I guess.

Keep up the good fight and believe that the vast majority of folks here are rooting for you.

Danno

:)
It won't be RFD if there weren't any people criticizing anything and everything. Too bad this is the case but e-thugs rule yo!

Xan, just ignore those guys, they think they know everything but in the end, they're just little snot nosed kids typing in their dark bedroom wearing nothing but the same underwear for a month find threads on RFD where they can annoy people. :D RFD should really take a stand on such behaviour.
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1192 posts
176 upvotes
Montreal
dotcalamitie wrote: Cost me $400 for my 2008. They change the F to C on the digital thermometers, trip computer, change the odometer and speedometer. Now you'd never know the difference.
Did you get it done in Canada or $US?
Nov 21, 2006
183 posts
3 upvotes
dotcalamitie wrote: Cost me $400 for my 2008. They change the F to C on the digital thermometers, trip computer, change the odometer and speedometer. Now you'd never know the difference.
Also can you post the name of the company you used. I may want to get my soon to be picked up Tribeca done as well. So at the end of the day is everything coverted? Including fuel consumption stats etc? Thanks
Oct 4, 2007
14 posts
Calgary
Hi Guys,

I am one of those who has been reading this thread from last month and half almost on hourly basis. Finally, I have decided to take the plunge and join the fellow RFD'ers to made the big purchase in USA.

I have made a deal for Acura MDX in Florida. I was hoping to drive it back to Canada (GTA) but dealer has put some road blocks in my way. He is saying if I plan to drive the vehicle of the lot then I have to pay local taxes (6%). I must get it shipped out of the country to avoid those charges.

Has any one come across this? If I do get it shipped, how would I clear the customs? OR I could take the delivery of the vehicle at the border than drive it to Canada but then there is no temporary registration tag on it. I am confused.. Anyone with the same experience? Please guide ...

thanks in advance!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5981 posts
2073 upvotes
Ottawa
jasz wrote: Hi Guys,

I am one of those who has been reading this thread from last month and half almost on hourly basis. Finally, I have decided to take the plunge and join the fellow RFD'ers to made the big purchase in USA.

I have made a deal for Acura MDX in Florida. I was hoping to drive it back to Canada (GTA) but dealer has put some road blocks in my way. He is saying if I plan to drive the vehicle of the lot then I have to pay local taxes (6%). I must get it shipped out of the country to avoid those charges.

Has any one come across this? If I do get it shipped, how would I clear the customs? OR I could take the delivery of the vehicle at the border than drive it to Canada but then there is no temporary registration tag on it. I am confused.. Anyone with the same experience? Please guide ...

thanks in advance!
There's nothing you can do about not paying the tax if you buy from Florida and want to get a temp permit - they are one of a few states that charge tax to all buyers (even if it's for export - although the good thing is that if you do get it shipped, you don't pay the tax (other states like Massachussetts (I think) always charge the tax)).

If you have it shipped, you probably need to be at the border when it comes in to do the export from the US and import into Canada or hire one of the companies that do this. If you don't want to pay the FL taxes, there's no way to get a temp permit on it until you get it to Canada - once it's in Canada, you might be able to get a temp permit here (not sure about that).