Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

  • Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer
 
112
33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper
 
149
44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!
 
61
18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same
 
6
2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!
 
7
2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Member
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
Niagara Speedometer. $400 for complete Tribeca conversion.

495 Eastchester Avenue East
St. Catharines, ON
L2M 6S2
Voice: (905) 704-0645
Fax: (905) 704-1746

Dealers can't do this because it involves tampering with the odometer. I'm not going to take a picture of it, everything looks the same except the instruments are all factory metric now instead of Imperial. if you want to see what it looks like, go to a Subaru dealer and look inside their Tribeca...there is no difference. i could probably sell this car now and a buyer wouldn't have a clue it was from the US.
Sr. Member
Jul 23, 2007
852 posts
7 upvotes
jasz wrote: Hi Guys,

I am one of those who has been reading this thread from last month and half almost on hourly basis. Finally, I have decided to take the plunge and join the fellow RFD'ers to made the big purchase in USA.

I have made a deal for Acura MDX in Florida. I was hoping to drive it back to Canada (GTA) but dealer has put some road blocks in my way. He is saying if I plan to drive the vehicle of the lot then I have to pay local taxes (6%). I must get it shipped out of the country to avoid those charges.

Has any one come across this? If I do get it shipped, how would I clear the customs? OR I could take the delivery of the vehicle at the border than drive it to Canada but then there is no temporary registration tag on it. I am confused.. Anyone with the same experience? Please guide ...

thanks in advance!

When I have shipped cars to Florida in the past it is around $700-$800. It might even be cheaper to ship it back from Florida now because a lot of the trucks will be empty dropping off the snowbirds cars.
Sr. Member
Jul 23, 2007
852 posts
7 upvotes
dotcalamitie wrote: Niagara Speedometer. $400 for complete Tribeca conversion.

495 Eastchester Avenue East
St. Catharines, ON
L2M 6S2
Voice: (905) 704-0645
Fax: (905) 704-1746

Dealers can't do this because it involves tampering with the odometer. I'm not going to take a picture of it, everything looks the same except the instruments are all factory metric now instead of Imperial. if you want to see what it looks like, go to a Subaru dealer and look inside their Tribeca...there is no difference. i could probably sell this car now and a buyer wouldn't have a clue it was from the US.
I thought you mentioned previously that you were going to sell your Tribeca in the near future. From what you have seen/read, can you get more for it with the conversion then without?
Jr. Member
Jan 1, 2007
137 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
dotcalamitie wrote: Niagara Speedometer. $400 for complete Tribeca conversion.

495 Eastchester Avenue East
St. Catharines, ON
L2M 6S2
Voice: (905) 704-0645
Fax: (905) 704-1746

Dealers can't do this because it involves tampering with the odometer. I'm not going to take a picture of it, everything looks the same except the instruments are all factory metric now instead of Imperial. if you want to see what it looks like, go to a Subaru dealer and look inside their Tribeca...there is no difference. i could probably sell this car now and a buyer wouldn't have a clue it was from the US.
Will there be any risk in the warranty by doing the conversion using a 3rd party? Thanks.
Newbie
Sep 2, 2006
54 posts
11 upvotes
dotcalamitie wrote: Niagara Speedometer. $400 for complete Tribeca conversion.

495 Eastchester Avenue East
St. Catharines, ON
L2M 6S2
Voice: (905) 704-0645
Fax: (905) 704-1746

Dealers can't do this because it involves tampering with the odometer. I'm not going to take a picture of it, everything looks the same except the instruments are all factory metric now instead of Imperial. if you want to see what it looks like, go to a Subaru dealer and look inside their Tribeca...there is no difference. i could probably sell this car now and a buyer wouldn't have a clue it was from the US.
thank you
Newbie
Oct 4, 2007
14 posts
Calgary
michelb wrote: There's nothing you can do about not paying the tax if you buy from Florida and want to get a temp permit - they are one of a few states that charge tax to all buyers (even if it's for export - although the good thing is that if you do get it shipped, you don't pay the tax (other states like Massachussetts (I think) always charge the tax)).

If you have it shipped, you probably need to be at the border when it comes in to do the export from the US and import into Canada or hire one of the companies that do this. If you don't want to pay the FL taxes, there's no way to get a temp permit on it until you get it to Canada - once it's in Canada, you might be able to get a temp permit here (not sure about that).
Thanks michelb.. I was thinking i could get the temp permit from state of NY.
I guess I have to do what you suggested. Be at the border when they bring the car to the border.
Anyone else knows if I can get the temp permit from Ontario so I can drive the vehicle from border to home? OR i would just have to get it shipped to home and then do the paper work ?

Thanks again!
Member
User avatar
Jul 6, 2003
216 posts
t_garp wrote: Another one, I know I said in the Letter I would file under the Access to Information Act, but I just did. It cost $5 to start the process. I want to see the documents that TC relied upon to change their list. They better be bulletproof as to why one can retroactively change the list...I doubt it! I think that this is very good ammo. They really f**ked up on that one.
I couldn't help myself and I e-mailed Mr Cannon by quoting this letter! Although I am not affected as of yet by all these changes, I can say I am disgusted at the tactics of BMW Canada in trying to be a cash grab. Let's keep the pressure up.
Member
Jul 30, 2006
212 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
jmlleung wrote: Will there be any risk in the warranty by doing the conversion using a 3rd party? Thanks.
I am wondering about this too.
Also, how long does it take to change speedo?
Thanks :D
Newbie
Oct 4, 2007
14 posts
Calgary
fugazi11 wrote: When I have shipped cars to Florida in the past it is around $700-$800. It might even be cheaper to ship it back from Florida now because a lot of the trucks will be empty dropping off the snowbirds cars.
Just sent you a PM. Can you send me name of the compnies you used? It would be helpful greatly...

Thanks!
Newbie
Nov 3, 2004
22 posts
ziploc wrote: i just learned that hyundai Canada is acting like riv...

since 22 now they changed theirs policy and the warranty isn't anymore honored.......

i bought my car before that date.....and they saying that isn't valid anymore, they just decided to change from white o black in one day....
and don't even honor theirs previous agreement

Did you get that from a dealer or Hyundai Canada?

I phoned Hyundai Canada, they asked me to call Hyundai US. Hyundai US told me that the warranty is still valid. BUT, some dealers won't cover the warranty service, means you have to pay and get reimbursed from Hyundai US. And the lady said, you'd better contact Hyundai US before get the repairs done.
Sr. Member
Sep 3, 2007
635 posts
63 upvotes
Aurora
jasz wrote: Thanks michelb.. I was thinking i could get the temp permit from state of NY.
I guess I have to do what you suggested. Be at the border when they bring the car to the border.
Anyone else knows if I can get the temp permit from Ontario so I can drive the vehicle from border to home? OR i would just have to get it shipped to home and then do the paper work ?

Thanks again!
Once you find yourself a trucking company which will truck the car from dealer to Canada, read their fine prints. They will all tell you the same thing along the lines of 'no guarantee on exact delivery time. Just a ball park and even at that they could change it at last minute. Best bet would be the following:

Have them transport the car to customs depot in Mississuga (I am assuming your from toronto) or where ever you live.

or

Hire a customs broker, cost about 100 to 250 (try http://www.peninsulacustoms.com/About.html) and they will clear the car and have it delivered to your home.

Again I would caution you on the trucking company...they will tell you they are fully insured, but if you read the fine print they say 'they are fully insured except for' and they describe the car i.e. body of the car, inside of the car, windshields etc. it's a joke.

Here is a web site which might help you find a better trucking company. http://www.transportreviews.com/. After doing my diligence, I decided that I would rather drive then have it truck. As for state tax in Florida, I would find another dealer in another state. For example, Virgina has 3.1 % state tax and if you can find a dealer (I know I did for Honda) they wont even charge the state tax as long as you don't register the car in their state.

Hope this helps.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 8, 2002
971 posts
219 upvotes
jmlleung wrote: Will there be any risk in the warranty by doing the conversion using a 3rd party? Thanks.
I would say "yes" as when I went to the dealership here to inquire about doing an aftermarket remote start / alarm, they said that any tampering with the electrical would void the warranty on the electrical.

dotcalamitie, what'd they tell you? If i remember correctly you got yours done through multiline right?

Thanks!
Member
May 30, 2006
296 posts
13 upvotes
martin1 wrote: Did you get that from a dealer or Hyundai Canada?

I phoned Hyundai Canada, they asked me to call Hyundai US. Hyundai US told me that the warranty is still valid. BUT, some dealers won't cover the warranty service, means you have to pay and get reimbursed from Hyundai US. And the lady said, you'd better contact Hyundai US before get the repairs done.
From Hyundai Canada.....and Hyundai USA who told me that Hyundai Canada break their agreement about their warranty work....

Hyundai USA will check case by case...and in most times the customer will have to pay and ask for reimbursement from them....H USA

And the worst is as asked the same question before buying my car and Hyundai Canada told me that canadian warranty will apply without free road assistance...and now after i bought my car they told me that policy has changed the 22nd nov and it's no more valid......even for cars bought before the policy change....
Newbie
User avatar
May 23, 2007
62 posts
Toronto
Can I import my US car at this Mississauga custom depot? I am just too lazy to drive back to Niagara Falls.
joejack wrote: Once you find yourself a trucking company which will truck the car from dealer to Canada, read their fine prints. They will all tell you the same thing along the lines of 'no guarantee on exact delivery time. Just a ball park and even at that they could change it at last minute. Best bet would be the following:

Have them transport the car to customs depot in Mississuga (I am assuming your from toronto) or where ever you live.

or

Hire a customs broker, cost about 100 to 250 (try http://www.peninsulacustoms.com/About.html) and they will clear the car and have it delivered to your home.

Again I would caution you on the trucking company...they will tell you they are fully insured, but if you read the fine print they say 'they are fully insured except for' and they describe the car i.e. body of the car, inside of the car, windshields etc. it's a joke.

Here is a web site which might help you find a better trucking company. http://www.transportreviews.com/. After doing my diligence, I decided that I would rather drive then have it truck. As for state tax in Florida, I would find another dealer in another state. For example, Virgina has 3.1 % state tax and if you can find a dealer (I know I did for Honda) they wont even charge the state tax as long as you don't register the car in their state.

Hope this helps.
Newbie
Nov 29, 2007
2 posts
I hate to ask this question as I'm sure it's covered a million times, but with 600 pages... and I tried searching to no avail...

Which crossings would allow me to bring the car over on the weekend. I guess the most important is the US customs side.

I live near Belleville Ontario and am looking at cars in the Detroit area. So, I could take either crossing in Detroit, maybe the Blue Water bridge in Sarnia if I had to. Or I could cross at Niagara Falls, or maybe even near Kingston.

Any of the crossings in this area open for car import/export on weekends?
Newbie
Oct 3, 2007
82 posts
Toronto
michelb wrote: There's nothing you can do about not paying the tax if you buy from Florida and want to get a temp permit - they are one of a few states that charge tax to all buyers (even if it's for export - although the good thing is that if you do get it shipped, you don't pay the tax (other states like Massachussetts (I think) always charge the tax)).

If you have it shipped, you probably need to be at the border when it comes in to do the export from the US and import into Canada or hire one of the companies that do this. If you don't want to pay the FL taxes, there's no way to get a temp permit on it until you get it to Canada - once it's in Canada, you might be able to get a temp permit here (not sure about that).
There is a way to work around this...

1. The out of state requirment doesn not mean out of country. Call you dealer and ask them to clarify. What I mean is that to comply with FL law the car has to be transported outside of FL, which means that you can drive away from the Georgia/FL border.

2. In order to do that you will need FL plates for teh reminder of the trip. Ask the dealer to confirm the scenario with the local DMV - should be no problem.

3. You will need to sign a notarized tax exemption form anyway.

If your dealer is creative you can come up with the plan.....

If the above mentioned tricks will not work for your dealer and you don't want the hassle, transportation is your only way. In my search I found these folks to have to best rates last year - A-A Auto Transport (888) 744-7227. Their fee includes clearing the US Customs for you and you pick up your vehicle in Mississauga (in land port) where you do your Form 1, GST, etc
Sr. Member
Sep 3, 2007
635 posts
63 upvotes
Aurora
jrvic wrote: Can I import my US car at this Mississauga custom depot? I am just too lazy to drive back to Niagara Falls.
If you hire a transportation company and don't have a customs broker, they will bring the car to Mississauga customs depot. You pay your GST and do the paper work.
Sr. Member
Sep 3, 2007
635 posts
63 upvotes
Aurora
J233 wrote:
If the above mentioned tricks will not work for your dealer and you don't want the hassle, transportation is your only way. In my search I found these folks to have to best rates last year - A-A Auto Transport (888) 744-7227. Their fee includes clearing the US Customs for you and you pick up your vehicle in Mississauga (in land port) where you do your Form 1, GST, etc
Yes, I too had picked A-A Auto Transport of San Diego for my transport. However, after reading their reviews, especially Canadian reviews at http://www.transportreviews.com and http://www.complaints.com/ I decided against the shipping altogether.

They were the cheapest. To transport my Odyssey from Dallas to Toronto it was $1270 compare to other quotes of 1600, 2250, 2600. Which ever company you pick, please make sure to read their reviews before signing the dotted line, also read the fine print.

Top