Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2331 posts
316 upvotes
North Vancouver
Canada is smaller market compare to US, so Manufacturer won't make lots change for their price structure.
kuri wrote: Looks like Driving Television will be doing a few segments on importing cars from the states as well. Here are the first 2 parts:

http://drivingtelevision.com/CarReviewVideos.php?ccID=2
http://drivingtelevision.com/CarReviewV ... hp?ccID=23

It'll be interesting to see what they recommend, or maybe they'll just take all the info from RFD. :cheesygri
Aug 26, 2006
107 posts
GTA
Xtreme2001 wrote: How does everyone rate Subaru's vehicles?
It's good.. We have a 95 Legacy with 310k on it - didn't have any major problems yet. Engine got a little noisy, obviously had to replace some gaskets, got a new stereo.. but that's about it, suspension is still strong, no problems with eletrics.. So from my experience I'd certainly recommend it, although I know some Subarus had engine problems - check MSN Auto for model years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
kuri wrote: Looks like Driving Television will be doing a few segments on importing cars from the states as well. Here are the first 2 parts:

http://drivingtelevision.com/CarReviewVideos.php?ccID=2
http://drivingtelevision.com/CarReviewV ... hp?ccID=23

That's great. I'm happy more and more folks are paying attention.

Interesting reply from Toyota and Subaru. "they will price whatever the market will bear".

They can charge what they like. I will go to wherever give me the best deal.

On a different topic, I found this excellend explanation of the VIN numbering scheme. It will help you determine if you need to pay Duty on your new US car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Id ... ion_Number
Mar 27, 2006
991 posts
216 upvotes
Wow...that guy selling the imported Subaru's is making a killing!!! I paid 28600 Canadian for a Tribeca the same as he is charging 37K for!!! Sell a few like that and you are set.
Mar 29, 2006
25 posts
1 upvote
I finally picked up 2007 Outback 2.5i Limited.
I purchased from Van Bortel Subaru (www.vanbortelsubaru.com) near Rochester. Entire buying/import process and experiance are great.
Actually this is the first time I did not have any headache from buying process. I also recommend Van Bortel Subaru, these guys are excellant. Their website shows almost everything such as dealer invoice price, all incentives.
I don't need to mention my price here because all is in the website. (oh, $75 internet discount is not there). I contacted 2 as you know guys from this forum, but one was never respond, another showed me an unhonest numbers. Personally I don't give them a trust(Pls don't get me wrong, this is personal feeling).
Crossing borders are painless. Actual processing time is 2 min in the US and 5 min in Canada. Thanks everyone in this forum.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2331 posts
316 upvotes
North Vancouver
I'm checking 2007 B9, Van Bortel Subaru show up $1250 rebate, but cars.101 show up nothing, maybe Van Bortel Subaru is bigger dealer so get more discount from Manufacturer? :?:
t0pclass wrote: I finally picked up 2007 Outback 2.5i Limited.
I purchased from Van Bortel Subaru (www.vanbortelsubaru.com) near Rochester. Entire buying/import process and experiance are great.
Actually this is the first time I did not have any headache from buying process. I also recommend Van Bortel Subaru, these guys are excellant. Their website shows almost everything such as dealer invoice price, all incentives.
I don't need to mention my price here because all is in the website. (oh, $75 internet discount is not there). I contacted 2 as you know guys from this forum, but one was never respond, another showed me an unhonest numbers. Personally I don't give them a trust(Pls don't get me wrong, this is personal feeling).
Crossing borders are painless. Actual processing time is 2 min in the US and 5 min in Canada. Thanks everyone in this forum.
Dec 14, 2006
1 posts
I am interested in buying a Toyota Rav 4. I live in Alberta and want to know if anyone has bought from the US, just over the Alberta Border? Worth it?
Mar 27, 2006
991 posts
216 upvotes
ecgz88 wrote: I'm checking 2007 B9, Van Bortel Subaru show up $1250 rebate, but cars.101 show up nothing, maybe Van Bortel Subaru is bigger dealer so get more discount from Manufacturer? :?:
Different regions of the country have different incentives. Currently, the east region has a 1250 rebate on the B9 but the west does not. My father got his 5 pass limited B9 for 30,000 US.
May 12, 2004
766 posts
71 upvotes
On tribecca B9
Customer Cash (Rebate) can be combined with LOW RATE
06 Tribeca 7 Pass model (6HO) $2,500.
’06 Dealer Cash
06 Tribeca (All Models) Can be combined with Low Rate & Rebates $1,000

Plus the coupon for 500 cash
http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com/pdf/500% ... coupon.pdf

Total of $4000 on a 2006. I am trying to convince the wife there is enough room in the Subaru over the Sienna and it looks cooler !!! Much cooler !!!
Jan 29, 2004
181 posts
15 upvotes
Has anyone done a jetta or a golf I was interested in the Sienna and the Subaru but they are a bit pricey for me. If anybody can share their experience with VW that would be great also a good dealer.

It seems like it be cheaper to be a new US car than a 1 year or 2 year used CDN car.
Thanks
Feb 26, 2005
55 posts
2 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanx to RFD I took the plunge and bought a new Infiniti QX56. (2006). Retails in Canada for $78,000 Cdn plus GST. Probably could have bought one for $75,000 as the 2007 are coming out. I am using Hansens forwarding and the car is being shipped here now so I haven't done the paper work yet. Its costing about $2000 to ship. After GST, shipping, paperwork, and converting to daytime running lites, I'll save about $25,000 Cdn. The QX 56 is made in the USA so I won't have to pay any duty. Definitely worth my while.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7392 posts
267 upvotes
BC
kquon wrote: Thanx to RFD I took the plunge and bought a new Infiniti QX56. (2006). Retails in Canada for $78,000 Cdn plus GST. Probably could have bought one for $75,000 as the 2007 are coming out. I am using Hansens forwarding and the car is being shipped here now so I haven't done the paper work yet. Its costing about $2000 to ship. After GST, shipping, paperwork, and converting to daytime running lites, I'll save about $25,000 Cdn. The QX 56 is made in the USA so I won't have to pay any duty. Definitely worth my while.
wow, $25k difference. that's crazy.
insert witty comment
Sep 3, 2005
58 posts
15 upvotes
Calgary
Any idea if VW will honor the warranty in canada?
Mar 5, 2003
336 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa
manixc wrote: wow, $25k difference. that's crazy.
And that's even after taking the expensive route of having it shipped. Could have saved a couple thousand more by driving it himself. :!:

In general, the more expensive the vehicle, the more the savings. Or the more the Canadian ripoff, if you prefer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
For those who are asking for specifics on why I'm so big on buying in the US. Use this as an example. Here is EXACTLY what I am ordering from the US. It's a 2007 Subaru LLBean loaded (all options minus the navigation) including about $1500 US MSRP in assesories.

Depending on the exchange and the final negotiated price, the savings are roughly $15k Canadian. These numbers are typical pricing that is negotiated downwards.

Note: Many options on the LL Bean aren't even available in Canada (notably two-tone leather seating).

Compare this for starters:

Right from the Canadian dealer:

Subaru Outback 3.0R Premier Package: $45,995.00 MSRP
This model includes Navigation

Then add:

Rear Bumper Moulding - $131.50 (one pair)
Armrest Extension - $196.00
Cargo Anti Slip Mat - $39.00
Remote Engine Starter - $500.00
Wheel Lock Set - $37.00
Security System Upgrade - $200.00
Dome Reading Lamp - $115.50
Mirror Autodim/Compass with Homelink - $555.00
Audio-Subwoofer/Amplifier Kit - $440.50
Rubber Floor Mats - $100.00
Armrest Extension-Black - $196.00
Cargo Tray - $102.00
Carpet Floor Mat - $107.00
Cargo Net (Rear of Gate) - $35.00

Total Price of Selected Canadian Accessories approximately: $2,750

NO BUYER INCENTIVES.

Total Vehicle Price: $48,750 + Freight + Taxes.

You negotiate down from there. Since the Canadian dealers won’t tell you the invoice pricing. You can get APA discount pricing but it only amounts to a couple of grand off the top.

Now online pricing from a US dealer:

Subaru Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean with Navigation Package: $31,485 Invoice

Now add:

Rear Bumper Moulding $35.00 (two pair)
Armrest Extension-Beige $106.00
Cargo Anti Slip Mat - Included
Remote Engine Starter $288.00
Wheel Lock Set $28.00
Security System Upgrade $79.00
Dome Reading Lamp $56.00
Mirror Autodim/Compass with Homelink – Included but add $45 for Homelink
Audio-Subwoofer/Amplifier Kit $186.00
Rubber Floor Mats $33.00
Armrest Extension-Black $106.00
Cargo Tray - Included
Carpet Floor Mat - Included
Cargo Net (Rear of Gate) $33.00

Total Price of Selected US Accessories approximately: $995

Subaru is currently offering $750 US instant cash
Van Bortel or other similar US Subaru dealers are currently offering $500 - $600 additional cash. Van Bortel offers $500 plus a $75 Internet discount.

Total Vehicle Price: $32,480 + $645 Freight - $1325 + Exchange + Taxes

If you wait until April Suburu offers a $1500 Cash back. Add that to the dealer incentive and you get $2100 US instant cash back.

That's why I'm buying in the US.
Mar 29, 2006
25 posts
1 upvote
According to Van Bortel, there are 4 discounts available for 07 Legacy and Legacy Outback.
(Except Spec B)
Custermer Rebate: $750
Dealer Cash: $500
Holiday Coupon: $500
Internet Discount: $75

So, total incentives can be $1825.
Feb 14, 2005
825 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Any good cross-border Nissan dealers in Maine for us Eastern Canada folks?

I'm hoping I can find a dealer who did these before, so they could save me paperwork and time.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2331 posts
316 upvotes
North Vancouver
Thanks for the info, is it 2007 5 Pass Limited (with Navi) B9?
Tuppin wrote: Different regions of the country have different incentives. Currently, the east region has a 1250 rebate on the B9 but the west does not. My father got his 5 pass limited B9 for 30,000 US.