Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Sep 23, 2007
9 posts
Ottawa
http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet/st ... 1/GIStory/
Anyone heard of what the proposing changes are? This article sucks without more info.

[QUOTE]Ottawa to ease import of U.S. autos

The Canadian Press

Friday, November 30, 2007

OTTAWA — The federal government is proposing changes to motor vehicle safety regulations, which it says will make it easier for Canadians to import U.S. vehicles equipped with electronic anti-theft systems.[/QUOTE]

edit: FRANKIE found something better :)
Sep 8, 2007
9 posts
Geez, I feel like such an idiot. Here I am waiting for RIV to snail mail me a form 2, when I could just call them and get them to e-mail it to me. Came across the border on Monday with our new Tribeca and I faxed them a copy of the recall letter on Tuesday and have been checking the mail every day. Now I read SeeWhy2's post on his experience and realized that they could just e-mail the form to me. Just called RIV and asked if they could e-mail me the form 2. He checked my case number and said, "Yep, no problem". Less then 10 minutes later I have a copy of Form 2 for my vehicle in my hand. :cheesygri Sweet! Thanks SeeWhy2. :cool: This thread is just a wealth of knowledge.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1190 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal
klaus wrote: Here is the link to the gazette detailing teh proposed changes.

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partI/2007/2 ... -14148.pdf
This proposed
amendment clarifies that vehicles sold at the retail level in the
United States, that are equipped at the time of manufacture with
an electronic immobilization system, may be imported into Canada
and that those vehicles that do not have an electronic immobilization
system may be imported if the vehicle can be safely
fitted with an aftermarket immobilization system.
Feb 26, 2003
295 posts
21 upvotes
[QUOTE]This proposed amendment clarifies that vehicles sold at the retail level in the United States, that are equipped at the time of manufacture with an electronic immobilization system, may be imported into Canada and that those vehicles that do not have an electronic immobilization system may be imported if the vehicle can be safely fitted with an aftermarket immobilization system.

Some manufacturers have also noted concern regarding tampering with the electronic system of the vehicle in the event that a second electronic immobilization system would be required. Manufacturers have noted that they cannot ensure that such features as air bag activation will not be compromised. Finally, installing two electronic immobilization systems can create technical challenges and in-use problems, as each system uses an antenna, which can result in interference issues. Requiring the installation of a second electronic immobilization system would also be unnecessarily expensive. Thus, in the interest of safety, this proposed amendment includes the provision that vehicles sold at the retail level in the United States that have, at the time of manufacture, an electronic immobilization system, may be imported into Canada without further modification.[/QUOTE]

WOW!!! P #83 of the PDF

NOW if only TC will remove BMW Canada's draconian grasp on the admissibility letter!!!!!
Support Cellular Class Action - Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido, Sasktel, MTS, Aliant Class Actions.

Get your $8.95/month "System Access Fee" BACK!

http://www.merchantlaw.com/cellular.html
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
They had no choice but to do this...I got a 2007 Prius from the US instead of a 2008. So all that was happening was the consumers were importing more and more US cars without immobilizers from the previous model year anyway.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1190 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal
t_garp wrote: WOW!!! P #83 of the PDF

NOW if only TC will remove BMW Canada's draconian grasp on the admissibility letter!!!!!

TC really removed the appearance of complicity here!

They pulled the rug.

There is no way for the companies to blame TC now. Of course, it seems that their lobbying efforts against the regulations paid off - to their own chagrin :)

Thanks to MM, this thread is becoming more of a "movement".
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2945 posts
648 upvotes
scouzi wrote: This proposed
WOO HOOOO!! :D
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2002
1294 posts
139 upvotes
Kingston ON
heavychemist wrote: Thanks SeeWhy2. :cool: This thread is just a wealth of knowledge.
Welcome ;)
Carlos

Free be Freebie
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2945 posts
648 upvotes
"The proposed amendment will be published in the Canada Gazette Part I on
December 1, 2007. It would modify section 12 of the Motor Vehicle Safety
Regulations as it pertains to importing new vehicles sold in the United
States. Interested parties have 15 days to comment. The proposed regulation
would take effect shortly after the consultation period."

They (the manufacturers) wouldn't dare try to protest would they saying somthing like "but we went and got specific Cdn immobilizers"? Actually they probably wouldn't be able to since the parts they're using seem to be the same as the Cdn parts already from what others have mentioned here! ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1190 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal
mangoman wrote: WOO HOOOO!! :D
Some more:

This amendment proposes to deem factory-installed electronic
immobilization systems as acceptable on vehicles privately imported
from the United States by Canadians. Electronic immobilization
systems are very difficult to defeat, as they have over
50 000 different code combinations for the electronic signal. In
addition, they frequently require the use of software to allow for
the replacement of the vehicle key (transponder) or other system
components. Even with the requisite knowledge, replacement
parts and the computer software, many systems have a built-in
replacement time lag so that any component cannot be immediately replaced and the vehicle driven; often it must sit for five minutes
or more. These features, which are built into electronic immobilization
systems, greatly restrict the ability of vehicles to be stolen
for convenience.
Oct 31, 2007
67 posts
scouzi wrote: This proposed

I can luv the government now. yepppp!!!!!
Compare car prices between U.S. and Canada at www.ATaleofTwoPrices.com
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2147 posts
340 upvotes
Canada
But when does this take effect??? I want a truck now!
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2945 posts
648 upvotes
So we should expect a change to the List of Admissible Vehicles from the US sometime near the middle or end of December? (Dec. 1 plus 15 days to comment) Or am I being too optimistic? :|
Aug 12, 2003
451 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Still seems to be a loophole for manufacturers:

[QUOTE]It would also provide for the installation of an aftermarket immobilization system meeting the CAN/ULC-S338-98 standard, for a vehicle that has a mechanical immobilization system or no immobilization system and the manufacturer has not indicated that the vehicle cannot be safely fitted with this type of aftermarket immobilizer. [/QUOTE]

For vehicles not equipped with an immobilizer, the manufacturer can still deem a vehicle cannot be safely fitted with an aftermarket one.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1190 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal
GoogleFish wrote: Still seems to be a loophole for manufacturers:

For vehicles not equipped with an immobilizer, the manufacturer can still deem a vehicle cannot be safely fitted with an aftermarket one.
Yes but over time, Americans will want immobilizers in their cars as insurance companies will have better rates for the cars that have them.

Provided that the costs are minimal, they will make their way into most cars south of the border.