Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

  • Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer
 
112
33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper
 
149
44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!
 
61
18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same
 
6
2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!
 
7
2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Sr. Member
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
This is a giant step in the right direction. The power of the internet.

I am impressed.

Woohoo.

:D
Member
User avatar
Feb 26, 2003
295 posts
21 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot time to contact you old buddies at CTV and let them know!!!

Spread the word to Canadians before the car Dealers start contesting the regulation change...Oh wait, weren't they the ones lobbying for this to begin with?
Support Cellular Class Action - Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido, Sasktel, MTS, Aliant Class Actions.

Get your $8.95/month "System Access Fee" BACK!

http://www.merchantlaw.com/cellular.html
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 3, 2004
781 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
GoogleFish wrote: Still seems to be a loophole for manufacturers:



For vehicles not equipped with an immobilizer, the manufacturer can still deem a vehicle cannot be safely fitted with an aftermarket one.
I am hoping they are not that desperate to falsely declare their own car to have that design flaw... but one never knows
Newbie
Oct 27, 2007
5 posts
Hi all,

Just wanted to post that as of 1 hour ago, I now have my Ontario plates on my car after some considerable determination to buy my NEW Toyota Sport RAV4.

Thanks for all of those who helped. One thing that rarely gets mentioned apart from the obvious cost savings on the price paid, the taxes on the difference, and cost of financing the difference is the total cost of ownership which is SO much lower for those buy in the States. Remember that if your car is $10,000 less in the States, that's $10,000 less that you're going to lose on your depreciation. That is VERY considerable.

If anyone would like a contact for a Toyota dealer and name who will sell NEW, please PM me.

You guys rock.
Newbie
Apr 26, 2006
39 posts
Successfully brought my new Tribeca home today! Waiting for the form 2 to go to Canadian tire. Hope it arrives earlier! Thanks again for everyone who contributed with their valuable experience and information to this thread. Many many thanks. Also thanks to Xan for his very well preparation of all documents.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
t_garp wrote: Monsieurmaggot time to contact you old buddies at CTV and let them know!!!

Spread the word to Canadians before the car Dealers start contesting the regulation change...
I'm sure they're reading this thread.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 27, 2007
12 posts
Just posted on Edmunds:

Yes, this is great news. And I hope some of the people who have been taking shots at the government will now give credit where credit is due. This problem arose on November 1 and it is likely that it will be resolved by mid-December. That is exceptionally fast action for government.

But let's not rest. We should all use the 15 day period for comments to pressure for a new mechanism to determine if there are recalls. For example, I would think that it would not be too onerous to require a manufacturer to post online a list of recalls with a date stamp on each page of the report. Then, all that would be required would be for the importer to print out a copy of the online report (dated within 3 days of the date of import) and present that at the border. In order to get Form 2, a further printout of the report, dated after the date of import, would show that there was no recall between the date of the first report and the date of import. No extra work for CBS, only one more form at RIV and no work for the manufacturers, other than updating an online report. And the consumer would not be subject to being held hostage to riduculous fees or unreasonable times of response.

The important thing is to take away the ability of the manufacturers to be the gatekeeper. Now's our chance. Get out the pens and paper and start sending in comments requesting an additional provision taking away the recall letters. Be sure to use the examples of BMW, etc. to show how the manufacturers are trying to screw the consumers.

Keep up the great work!
Newbie
Nov 8, 2007
61 posts
scouzi wrote: Man, does BMW suck or what!

Who do they think they are? Some car companies think they are alone in the market. Do they honestly think I will buy a BMW in Canada because of that? No, I will buy another type of car!

Is this required for used BMW cars also?
Seriously...this is getting ********....this will be the next thing that we need to demand our government works on fixing. Basically, the GOC needs to take firm action against ******** manufacturers like this and basically say to them that if they want to do business in our country that they will not be allowed to pursue the Canadian consumer with such agression...and this is exactly what it is...blatent anti-competitive behavior designed to contribute towards boxing the Canadian consumer into a corner with no where to go....call my statements dramatic but this is how I see...

These SOBs need to be put in their place. And you bring up a really good point. I am thinking exactly the same way you are on this. I am going to have a long memory on how the various manufacturers are behaving during this higher dollar time that we are experiencing. For me a quality vehicle isn 't enough any more. I want a manufacturer's business practices to exhibit as much quality or more than their vehicle(s)...If they do not then they will not be seeing my goddamn money on either side of the F'in border....

I am beyond sick and tired of these absolutely blatent tactics. Do what you want with your business presence in this country but get the hell out of my way when it comes to your standing in the way of my right to choose as a consumer. I recent you huge for it and I know many many close personal friends and relatives who feel exactly the same way....

I really think some of these manufacturers are underestimating the future impact their actions might have on their business in Canada. Your nerve and total disrespect for Canadians will not go unnoticed...

Cut your losses and deal with reality...

Rant over

Cheers
Newbie
Nov 8, 2007
61 posts
ac328 wrote: Agree with ya there. I may move in the next few weeks to grab the car while I still can. I wanted to wait because my current car's lease still has 7 months to run, as well.

I just realized Infiniti is completely alone among luxury brands that allow both unrestricted sales to Canadians and a full warranty.

BTW I heard that one of the other things BMW makes you do upon import, as of this week, is you MUST replace the ENTIRE US-spec gauge cluster with a Canadian metric one at a cost of...drum roll....$1408 + tax!!! If you don't, no recall letter. What a load of BS. I really like their cars (have an X3 now) but this just pissed me off.

So the extra costs BMW imposes is about $2,500 now. Pure cash grab for their dealers.
Jesus this rots me...

Who the F do they think they are??!?!?!?!?!?

These types of decisions/enforcement are made by governments...not friggin car manufacturers...

I always have admired BMW product but I just could not possibly support such BS...Unless they back down on this crap in short order they will never see a penny from me...Always saw myself with a nice 3 series at some point but the arrogance is killing me....

Bleep you and the horse you road in on BMW...seriously...where do you get the nerve is what I would like to know...

Sorry guys...I know I said my rant was over in my previous post but... :-)

Cheers
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2147 posts
340 upvotes
Canada
showMeAnImport wrote: Jesus this rots me...

Who the F do they think they are??!?!?!?!?!?

These types of decisions/enforcement are made by governments...not friggin car manufacturers...

I always have admired BMW product but I just could not possibly support such BS...Unless they back down on this crap in short order they will never see a penny from me...Always saw myself with a nice 3 series at some point but the arrogance is killing me....

Bleep you and the horse you road in on BMW...seriously...where do you get the nerve is what I would like to know...

Sorry guys...I know I said my rant was over in my previous post but... :-)

Cheers
Sucks! I was goingto pull the trigger on a z4 this spring! I am so mad !!!
Newbie
Nov 3, 2007
90 posts
Yeah BMW are really A-holes, their glass showrooms look too rich, i guess the money they steal from our pockets go towards making their showrooms museum like.

scouzi wrote: Man, does BMW suck or what!

Who do they think they are? Some car companies think they are alone in the market. Do they honestly think I will buy a BMW in Canada because of that? No, I will buy another type of car!

Is this required for used BMW cars also?
Newbie
Nov 8, 2007
61 posts
dotcalamitie wrote: Cost me $400 for my 2008. They change the F to C on the digital thermometers, trip computer, change the odometer and speedometer. Now you'd never know the difference.
Who did this for you? No need to replace anything physically? Just reprogramming and whatnot? Cant they do it for any vehicle etc?

Cheers
Member
May 30, 2006
296 posts
13 upvotes
AdamBr wrote: OK, if this proposal will be accepted, I'll have my faith back into Canadian government and especially in Transportation ministry.
Same here...that's some great news...and here again the conservative party is actually acting instead of promising things
Newbie
Nov 8, 2007
61 posts
ManchSubaruDealer wrote: I'm sick and tired of reading about people publicly critisizing my methods. I'm not going to name any names, but you know who you are. You're absolutely correct, I have ten posts, now eleven, and each and every one of them promotes myself. How much money have I saved RFD members? I've never claimed to be the only show in town. That's the thing about it, consumers can buy a new Subaru from whomever they want to. They choose to buy from me. Do you know why they buy from me? They purchase from me, because they don't get stuck at the border with bad or disorganized paperwork, because they save thousands, because they've heard great reviews about me. That's why they buy from me. Of course I'm making money off the sales, I don't work for free, nobody does. My pricing is always fair, always way below invoice and there are no surprises when dealing with me. For those of you who don't want me on this post anymore, why don't you ask how the 35 RFD members who love me feel about me being on this post? If this post is so bad, then stop reading it! It's that simple, and do yourself a favor. If you're going to mention your 5th grade kid in a post, have him proof read it for errors so you don't look like a fool. For those of you serious about buying a Subaru please contact me so I can help you save thousands...
Hey man...keep on posting...I don't blame you...If we're allowed to benefit from the current dollar situation I don't see why you shouldn't be able too...You idiots in here that are on his case basically can't figure out what you want....One minute you're pissed at manufacturers and dealers for aggression against the consumer and then in the same breath your bitching against a guy that is helping our cause essentially...don't see the logic there but anyway...

Keep on keepin' on brother...screw your critics...I hope you're gettin' rich...

Cheers
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2147 posts
340 upvotes
Canada
GougingCarCartelGroup wrote: Yeah BMW are really A-holes, their glass showrooms look too rich, i guess the money they steal from our pockets go towards making their showrooms museum like.
So what the heck is going on with RIV to accept this crap from BMW. What will stopy toyota, honda and other doing this.

OK, now the deadline of the 27th has passed, its now a little clearer whats happening. This is for BMW cars imported AFTER 27th only

You have to get a letter of admissibilty before you collect the car in the US and show it to Customs!!!!
You then have to goto the BMW Canada Dealer and have DRL's and possibly the cluster changed. Apparently the mph-km/h is changed to kms only (which seems mad). The latest RIV list clearly states this HAS to be completed by a BMW Canada dealer, so not sure where that leaves you if a) you can access this with I-drive or b) already have DRL's
Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
19 posts
Recently received an email from a Nissan dealership indicating that they now need to mark sales to Canadians as "Export Sale." In addition the salesperson indicated that they will no longer be able to allow rebates for Canadian purchasers, but that the warranty would now be acceptable. Anyone else have a similar experience? Anyone other than Digii have warranty work done on a Nissan? I brought my Frontier back last Christmas and have been told by the local dealership that warranty work would be done, but would like to have a backup plan if/when I need to get anything fixed.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
We should all take a stand against the likes of BMW and all those jokers who think they can do whatever they want against us, the smart shoppers.

Otherwise, they will continue to walk and stamp their dirty, smelly and ugly feet at our face.

United We Stand, Divided We Fall!
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Sr. Member
Dec 27, 2005
695 posts
16 upvotes
showMeAnImport wrote: Seriously...this is getting ********....this will be the next thing that we need to demand our government works on fixing. Basically, the GOC needs to take firm action against ******** manufacturers like this and basically say to them that if they want to do business in our country that they will not be allowed to pursue the Canadian consumer with such agression...and this is exactly what it is...blatent anti-competitive behavior designed to contribute towards boxing the Canadian consumer into a corner with no where to go....call my statements dramatic but this is how I see...

These SOBs need to be put in their place. And you bring up a really good point. I am thinking exactly the same way you are on this. I am going to have a long memory on how the various manufacturers are behaving during this higher dollar time that we are experiencing. For me a quality vehicle isn 't enough any more. I want a manufacturer's business practices to exhibit as much quality or more than their vehicle(s)...If they do not then they will not be seeing my goddamn money on either side of the F'in border....

I am beyond sick and tired of these absolutely blatent tactics. Do what you want with your business presence in this country but get the hell out of my way when it comes to your standing in the way of my right to choose as a consumer. I recent you huge for it and I know many many close personal friends and relatives who feel exactly the same way....

I really think some of these manufacturers are underestimating the future impact their actions might have on their business in Canada. Your nerve and total disrespect for Canadians will not go unnoticed...

Cut your losses and deal with reality...

Rant over

Cheers
whampoa wrote: We should all take a stand against the likes of BMW and all those jokers who think they can do whatever they want against us, the smart shoppers.

Otherwise, they will continue to walk and stamp their dirty, smelly and ugly feet at our face.

United We Stand, Divided We Fall!
I fully agree with both of you. Manufacturers/businesses need to have quality products and as well as excellent business practice. Because of their poor behavior, I will never consider buying cars from BMW, Toyota and Honda!!! :evil: :evil:
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2147 posts
340 upvotes
Canada
Does anybody know is a print out from a USA BMW dealer would workm thus bypassing the BMW Canada Crap? I found a dealer that will print this and do dlr on a z4 for 45 bucks


In some cases, we will also accept a printout from an authorized American dealer. If you obtain a printout from an American dealer, you must ensure that they are an authorized dealer and not a re-seller. You can confirm this by calling the head office of the manufacturer and providing them with the location of the dealership in question

If the printout is from an authorized American dealership, the company stamp must be affixed to the printout. In either case, the 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle in question must be included in the letter.

Top