Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Nov 29, 2007
8 posts
Excellent thread!

I recently imported an 08 Camry from an authorized Toyota Dealership with no problems. Well, except for the recall clearance letter...which I am still trying to get.

...but here is a question I could not find an answer to on this thread...

Can you sell your imported vehicle after getting it certified to Canadian standards and registered in Ontario? Someone mentioned to me there was a year wait, but I can't locate that reference on any government site.

Anyone know where to look for it or know the answer?

Thanks!!
Oct 21, 2007
35 posts
Montreal
I struck a deal with Xan. Very easy and smooth. All done exactly as expected.
fulrach wrote: Beautiful car! Congrats! Who'd you buy it off of? Xan or Jack?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5962 posts
2054 upvotes
Ottawa
Kamloops wrote: Does anybody know is a print out from a USA BMW dealer would workm thus bypassing the BMW Canada Crap? I found a dealer that will print this and do dlr on a z4 for 45 bucks

In some cases, we will also accept a printout from an authorized American dealer. If you obtain a printout from an American dealer, you must ensure that they are an authorized dealer and not a re-seller. You can confirm this by calling the head office of the manufacturer and providing them with the location of the dealership in question

If the printout is from an authorized American dealership, the company stamp must be affixed to the printout. In either case, the 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle in question must be included in the letter.
Use to be yes but not anymore. BMW Canada has changed their policy to match Mercedes - basically everything must be done through BMW authorized dealers. As detailed in recent posts, it appears that you need to get the letter from BMW Canada $500, I believe BMW Canada requires an inspection for $350, sounds like they require modifications to the dash / computer / console to the tune of $1000+.

Just look back in the last 10 pages or so and other posts have all the details.
Nov 8, 2007
61 posts
Snugster24 wrote: Excellent thread!

I recently imported an 08 Camry from an authorized Toyota Dealership with no problems. Well, except for the recall clearance letter...which I am still trying to get.

...but here is a question I could not find an answer to on this thread...

Can you sell your imported vehicle after getting it certified to Canadian standards and registered in Ontario? Someone mentioned to me there was a year wait, but I can't locate that reference on any government site.

Anyone know where to look for it or know the answer?

Thanks!!
Surprised to hear you are having a problem getting a recall clearance letter from Toyota...That is one things they have apparently been really great about for people...

Are they refusing to give you one or something?

Cheers
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4698 posts
820 upvotes
SK
Kamloops wrote: Does anybody know is a print out from a USA BMW dealer would workm thus bypassing the BMW Canada Crap? I found a dealer that will print this and do dlr on a z4 for 45 bucks

In some cases, we will also accept a printout from an authorized American dealer. If you obtain a printout from an American dealer, you must ensure that they are an authorized dealer and not a re-seller. You can confirm this by calling the head office of the manufacturer and providing them with the location of the dealership in question

If the printout is from an authorized American dealership, the company stamp must be affixed to the printout. In either case, the 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle in question must be included in the letter.
The text in the notes section for BMW looks like the one Mercedes Benz had before they just listed a website.
Basically, BMW Canada is requiring you to have a "Letter of Admissibility" to show CBSA before the vehicle can even enter/be imported in to Canada. So now BMW Canada is wasting tax payers money and making CSBA the BMW Police.

On top of that, the required work must be preformed by an authorized BMW dealer.

There is one thing BMW did that MB did not and that is that you can find out the EXACT cost before you purchase and import the vehicle.
November 27, 2007 TC Admissibility List wrote: Please contact an authorized Canadian BMW or MINI Retailer to request a letter of admissibility, and for information regarding the exact nature and costs of modifications required. The modifications vary by model and may be expensive.

ALL modifications MUST be performed by an authorized Canadian BMW or MINI Retailer and must be completed before a recall clearance letter can be issued by BMW Group Canada. Prior to reviewing your request for a letter of admissibility, the following information must be provided:
- Model
- Model year
- 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

An official letter of admissibility from BMW Group Canada must be presented to a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer at time of importation. In addition, the official recall clearance letter obtained from BMW Group Canada once the required retrofits have been completed and documented by an authorized Canadian BMW or Mini Retailer, must be presented to the Registrar
of Imported Vehicles in order to properly register a vehicle.
shopper-X
Oct 21, 2007
35 posts
Montreal
Please take your crap elsewhere. Xan is a straightforward person. He deals with you honestly and gives fair prices. He also follows through with what he says. He is allowed to make a living!
st7860 wrote: I don't see any difference between you and a ROGERS cell phone dealer coming into the Rogers Retentions thread and saying"I can save you tons of money blah blah blah blah".
Nov 3, 2007
90 posts
I recently had one guy from work tell me that he would gladly pay 15K more for a BMW in Canada so he can get the BMW Canada Dealership support and exclusivity of driving a 335 :)

Some people confuse the 3 Series with the 6, 7, or M series from BMW's lineup. To me the 3 series is not a luxury car, the only luxury is the theft they do when they rob you when you purchase this overpriced car.

The 3 is an entry level car, it should not cost 41K and up.
In my opinion the 328 four dour should be 34,000
328 coupe should start at 36,000.

The 335 four door should be 42,000
The 335 coupe should be 44,000

I could stomach the above pricing for the 3 series.

The 7 Series from BMW is so overpriced i want to laugh........ i bet you they would gladly give you discounts of 15-25K and give you 2% interest for you to purchase those overpriced tanks.
Oct 3, 2007
82 posts
Toronto
dotcalamitie wrote: I went to the US Export office on Wednesday this week at 1:30 at Queenston. The process took about 60 seconds, there were three other guys there, I didn't have to wait more than a minute.
Hm....that quick ? Did they even pull your fax/file or just stamped the original title ?
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
yes, the lady took my registration, walked two steps to her left, pulled out a folder, took the matching document out, took the two papers to the window, stamped them, handed me mine and away I went. Her time involved was less than 60 seconds. I stood around for about 3 minutes while she dealt with some guy who hadn't faxed his document to that location and of course he was distraught. BTW, I had my documents in their hands about three weeks earlier (I was worried that after that much time they wouldn't have it).
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2001
1446 posts
223 upvotes
GTA
Since nobody replied...I guess I will be at the Queenston - Lewiston Bridge customs on Monday morning importing my 2008 Camry SE all alone!

There's gotta be at least one other RFD'er who is crossing at the same time.

Damn...I should'a got a RFD sticker to stick to the import office door!
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
My niece just moved to New Jersey right across from NYC where she works now. My brother wants a BMW X5. If he purchases an X5 in New York State, can we use my nieces NJ address or does my niece have to purchase the vehicle?
Oct 21, 2007
35 posts
Montreal
Response to my email from Jeremy Cato:

Of course there are savings to be had. Nothing new in that. I have written about this scores of times in the Globe, for the past 18 months. Long before any other newspaper even touched the issue. Do your research.

Look, the piece was not about pricing; it was about crossing all your "Ts" and dotting all your "Is" -- paying attention to the details -- before you import a U.S. car. Most people are NOT good at this. They need to be told in no uncertain terms that there are hoops through which they will need to jump. I never said it can't be done. What the article does is emphasize that it's not as easy as buying a sweater at Target. And I think most of the stories on this have implied it is -- misleading people.

In any number of articles and online forums I have repeatedly told readers to import if they can get a better deal. Just be aware of what's involved.

JC
bluemule999 wrote: Email I sent to Jeremy Cato...full of #$$%^^&^.

Mr. Cato,

I can use much stronger language...you are full of it. Journalists are supposed to be objective. Your column "Attention shoppers: beware red tape" is so full of errors and misleading information that it is almost criminal. Just quoting Dennis DesRosiers confirms that you are lazy journalist that simply regurgitates wrong facts. I have to wonder if you are actually being paid by the auto manufacturers to spout their lame excuses for fleecing Canadians out of thousands of dollars.

I speak from personal experience. I just imported a brand new 2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited. I saved $15000 dollars after all taxes and expenses have been factored in. Other cars I researched and considered buying:

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL - $9000 savings
2008 Volkswagen Jetta GLI - $10000 savings

Many other compact to mid-size cars fall into a savings range of $5000-10000.

The process of importing is straightforward to follow and is definitely not complicated. The auto manufacturers and Transport Canada are making it complicated. Journalists like you are causing additional confusion.

Investigate, do some homework, then report the facts!!!

http://www.carswithoutborders.com/
http://www.carburner.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=307601
www.ataleoftwoprices.com
Oct 3, 2007
82 posts
Toronto
dotcalamitie wrote: yes, the lady took my registration, walked two steps to her left, pulled out a folder, took the matching document out, took the two papers to the window, stamped them, handed me mine and away I went. Her time involved was less than 60 seconds. I stood around for about 3 minutes while she dealt with some guy who hadn't faxed his document to that location and of course he was distraught. BTW, I had my documents in their hands about three weeks earlier (I was worried that after that much time they wouldn't have it).
Wow, that's great. Hope it will work in my case too. What worries me is that the copies of the title that the dealer had faxed to US Customs may not be readable (too dark). I asked him to fax the copy of the title to my fax too and it looks like crap. Hope that they can read the VIN # from the cover letter and we also faxed a copy of the bill of sale. If they turn me back I am stuck in Detroit tomorrow evening....hopefully not.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6221 posts
1869 upvotes
ManchSubaruDealer wrote: I'm sick and tired of reading about people publicly critisizing my methods. I'm not going to name any names, but you know who you are. You're absolutely correct, I have ten posts, now eleven, and each and every one of them promotes myself. How much money have I saved RFD members? I've never claimed to be the only show in town. That's the thing about it, consumers can buy a new Subaru from whomever they want to. They choose to buy from me. Do you know why they buy from me? They purchase from me, because they don't get stuck at the border with bad or disorganized paperwork, because they save thousands, because they've heard great reviews about me. That's why they buy from me. Of course I'm making money off the sales, I don't work for free, nobody does. My pricing is always fair, always way below invoice and there are no surprises when dealing with me. For those of you who don't want me on this post anymore, why don't you ask how the 35 RFD members who love me feel about me being on this post? If this post is so bad, then stop reading it! It's that simple, and do yourself a favor. If you're going to mention your 5th grade kid in a post, have him proof read it for errors so you don't look like a fool. For those of you serious about buying a Subaru please contact me so I can help you save thousands...

boo hoo, wipe away your tears with the thousands you are making off the members of this FREE board that isn't YOURS.

What makes you so special you can spam this forum and make money?
This is no different than a computer salesman going to some computer forum and start making posts promoting his business... those posts would last 2 seconds, as should yours.

You don't even see the SPONSORS of this board doing what you are doing, and they are PAYING to be here.
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
Hey baz5-

Go find a round room and go sit in the corner. Hopefully it will keep you occupied for a few years.....and away from this forum.

:twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6221 posts
1869 upvotes
Danno2005 wrote: Hey baz5-

Go find a round room and go sit in the corner. Hopefully it will keep you occupied for a few years.....and away from this forum.

:twisted:
Are you 12? Honestly?
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
baz5 wrote: boo hoo, wipe away your tears with the thousands you are making off the members of this FREE board that isn't YOURS.

This is no different than a computer salesman going to some computer forum and start making posts promoting his business... those posts would last 2 seconds, as should yours.

You don't even see the SPONSORS of this board doing what you are doing, and they are PAYING to be here.
i hereby and solemnly declare, +1

however if this subaru guy was actually sponsoring this board, thats a whole different ball of earwax.
Air Canada Aeroplan Super Elite Reservations: 1-800-401-7201 or 514-369-7598
get unlimited calls or other discounts by calling directly to:
Fido Retentions: call 611 then push 7, then push 3 - or Rogers Retentions 1-514-734-7873 or 1-866-228-7109
Telus Mobility: 1-877-279-3100 or 416-279-3100 or 1 416 296 7669 client.loyalty@telus.com
Bell Mobility: 1-866-313-1086
nice chairs http://www.eternitymodern.ca
great value - lol http://www.walmart.ca
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2971 posts
684 upvotes
baz5 wrote: boo hoo, wipe away your tears with the thousands you are making off the members of this FREE board that isn't YOURS.

Uhhh maybe if Toyota/Honda/GM etc. didn't try and control where the average Cdn can or cannot purchase their car, there might be other dealers posting here and then maybe just maybe you'd have an argument. But right now I don't see that - in fact if one of those dealers did try to post, they'd get threatened by the parent co. - so kudos to any dealer (and their parent co.) for allowing them to sell/promote these HUGE cost savings to Cdns like us.

:razz:
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1996 posts
344 upvotes
Wow, baz5, give it a rest. Some of you RFDers are just disgraceful to the website.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6221 posts
1869 upvotes
Making tens of thousands of dollars off someone else's site is disgraceful, if you ask me.