Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Sep 1, 2007
113 posts
Since when did our media became tools of the auto industry? First we had the Stars, now this: http://www.northernlife.ca/News/Lifesty ... 07-carstop
My co-worker sent me this after much discussion about vehicle imports last week. All I see are LIES! LIES! n' more LIES! The guy even has the guts to mention the "O great Canadian rebates", and "O great financing options" then somehow came to to conclusion that Canadians are getting a better deal even though we are paying a heck a lot more money. Needless to say I am quite infuriated by our news sources' allowance for such bull crap, really makes you wonder what else have they been spinning? I know we live in a freedom of speech country, but that's built on the basis of reliable information and sound arguments, I saw neither in this article.

It's a good chuckle, though. In the end I guess anyone dumb enough to believe our media's (a lot of which are sponsored by the auto industry) take on imports deserves to be ripped off.
Jul 19, 2007
35 posts
You can purchase an extended warranty but we need to have the car at the dealership so that we can verify the odometer reading. While you're not looking you'll be getting VBS plate frames :cheesygri JUST KIDDING!
Karl Lindemuth
Internet Sales Manager
Van Bortel Subaru
http://www.buildyourownsubaru.com
800.724.8872 toll free
585.415.8785 cell
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
Xinc wrote: Since when did our media became tools of the auto industry? First we had the Stars, now this: http://www.northernlife.ca/News/Lifesty ... 07-carstop
My co-worker sent me this after much discussion about vehicle imports last week. All I see are LIES! LIES! n' more LIES! The guy even has the guts to mention the "O great Canadian rebates", and "O great financing options" then somehow came to to conclusion that Canadians are getting a better deal even though we are paying a heck a lot more money. Needless to say I am quite infuriated by our news sources' allowance for such bull crap, really makes you wonder what else have they been spinning? I know we live in a freedom of speech country, but that's built on the basis of reliable information and sound arguments, I saw neither in this article.

It's a good chuckle, though. In the end I guess anyone dumb enough to believe our media's (a lot of which are sponsored by the auto industry) take on imports deserves to be ripped off.
Thanks for the link. I left some choice thoughts on the article and links to this thread and www.ataleoftwoprices.com.
We'll see if they post my comments.

BTW - I bought my Ford at Belanger.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!
Jul 18, 2007
62 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Danno2005 wrote: Thanks for the link. I left some choice thoughts on the article and links to this thread and www.ataleoftwoprices.com.
We'll see if they post my comments.

BTW - I bought my Ford at Belanger.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

Wow, imagine that, a Canadian Ford dealer telling people not to buy in the U.S.. I didn't see that one coming :razz:
Jul 19, 2007
35 posts
I just had a thought. Sitting here looking for more pics of the new Forester while scanning this thread at the same time. Something popped into my mind that I was thinking about posting earlier but got sidetracked.

Canadian Subaru dealerships have been complaining about the loss of business for some time now, right? I was thinking what if I woke up one morning and the shoe was on the other foot? What if suddenly the phone stopped ringing? What if the e-mails stopped coming? What if the customers in the showroom were replaced by tumble weeds? What I mean is what if suddenly American customers could buy cars in Canada for ridiculous savings over the US market?

Would I be upset? I am sure I would be. However, here is where I really think that these Canadian dealers are missing the boat. We all are aware that they obviously will see an increase in service volume and revenue. I have heard so many of my customers say that when they went into the local dealership in Canada, the minute that importing was mentioned, they got the cold shoulder. WHY?!?!? Wouldn't they think to say, 'You know, you're right. You can save a ton of money buying your car in the US and bringing it back to Canada. Why don't you let me help you out? I can tell you what some of the advantages and disadvantages are.'

Develop a relationship with the customer. If I were the consumer and this happened, I would go back to that dealer with my wallet open every time I was in for service. From what I have heard this isn't the case. These customers are met with crossed rather than open arms along with comments like you're being "un-canadian" by buying a car in the US. What a crock.

Anyway, just my two cents. And, for the record, if I ever get out of line on here just let me know, ok??? ;)
Karl Lindemuth
Internet Sales Manager
Van Bortel Subaru
http://www.buildyourownsubaru.com
800.724.8872 toll free
585.415.8785 cell
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
Hery Karl you are right on. My dealers that deal with me no the situation well, and maintain good relationships with me. I buy new toys/cars every year. My Yamaha dealer is worried about losing me as a customer, even though he empathasizes with my decision to buy in the US. He will service me no problem. He says most people have to finance stuff, so they don't have it so easy to buy their RV's (sleds, PWCs, ATVs) in the US. BTW, last year my Yamaha sled dealer won an award for the most sled sales in Canada one month - this year, his sales are way, way down. My sleds are now going on their third and fourth season, I would have replaced them last year, but for the dollar. I would have replaced them this year too...but with a 40% markup over the US, forget it. I bought a Nikon point and shoot camera mail order for $240 US a few months ago. It was $330 at Future Shop, still is. It is now $200 US from Abe's of Maine where I bought mine.
Oct 21, 2007
102 posts
2 upvotes
As suggested above it is a good idea to email your support for the proposed amendment to:
davisda@tc.gc.ca

Refer to- Canada Gazette Part 1 Dec. 1 2007
Department of Transport
Regulations amending MVSR Section 12

Short statement, I wrote "We heartily support the proposed amendment."
Nov 8, 2007
272 posts
55 upvotes
White Rock BC
karl_at_vanbortel wrote: I just had a thought. Sitting here looking for more pics of the new Forester while scanning this thread at the same time. Something popped into my mind that I was thinking about posting earlier but got sidetracked.

Canadian Subaru dealerships have been complaining about the loss of business for some time now, right? I was thinking what if I woke up one morning and the shoe was on the other foot? What if suddenly the phone stopped ringing? What if the e-mails stopped coming? What if the customers in the showroom were replaced by tumble weeds? What I mean is what if suddenly American customers could buy cars in Canada for ridiculous savings over the US market?

Would I be upset? I am sure I would be. However, here is where I really think that these Canadian dealers are missing the boat. We all are aware that they obviously will see an increase in service volume and revenue. I have heard so many of my customers say that when they went into the local dealership in Canada, the minute that importing was mentioned, they got the cold shoulder. WHY?!?!? Wouldn't they think to say, 'You know, you're right. You can save a ton of money buying your car in the US and bringing it back to Canada. Why don't you let me help you out? I can tell you what some of the advantages and disadvantages are.'

Develop a relationship with the customer. If I were the consumer and this happened, I would go back to that dealer with my wallet open every time I was in for service. From what I have heard this isn't the case. These customers are met with crossed rather than open arms along with comments like you're being "un-canadian" by buying a car in the US. What a crock.

Anyway, just my two cents. And, for the record, if I ever get out of line on here just let me know, ok??? ;)
I the 2000-2002 period the shoe was on the other foot. Americans were buying Canadian cars and importing them to the US like crazy. I bought a new Canadian Cobra 03 model car in 02 and the dealer required me to sign a form stating that I would not export the vehicle for 1 year. That car was $5000 cheaper in Canada than the US. I knew that document was unenforceable. So, attempts to control the market and price fixing goes on.
May 30, 2006
296 posts
13 upvotes
karl_at_vanbortel wrote: I just had a thought. Sitting here looking for more pics of the new Forester while scanning this thread at the same time. Something popped into my mind that I was thinking about posting earlier but got sidetracked.

they are idiots..(canadian dealers)....i personally was refused by 2 dealerships to service an imported car....

they think they are center of universe and are offend because i dare to buy from us dealer....
Oct 21, 2007
102 posts
2 upvotes
IMO Subaru US and Canada have acquitted themselves well during the last year. The Subaru dealers and sales persons on both sides of the border have treated Canadians with respect.
Also in the hall fame I would put Volvo and Ford. In between I would put Toyota because they honoured warranties.

Shame on Chrysler, BMW, GM, Mercedes, Honda (can't be true can it?).

I would be interested in hearing all of your opinions on who should merit fame, in between, or shame.

Perhaps we could have a poll.
Nov 8, 2007
272 posts
55 upvotes
White Rock BC
Dreyfus wrote: IMO Subaru US and Canada have acquitted themselves well during the last year. The Subaru dealers and sales persons on both sides of the border have treated Canadians with respect.
Also in the hall fame I would put Volvo and Ford. In between I would put Toyota because they honoured warranties.

I would be interested in hearing all of your opinions on who should merit fame, in between, or shame.

In my experience,
I would give Mazda a B-, all newer cars admissible, fast free recall letter, valid warranty. Downside, they don't let US dealers sell new to Canadians.
Nov 21, 2007
132 posts
Do US and Canadian dealerships pay the same prices to obtain their stock? If they do, then Canadian dealerships have no right to be upset at importers.
Nov 8, 2007
61 posts
bob the builder wrote: Do US and Canadian dealerships pay the same prices to obtain their stock? If they do, then Canadian dealerships have no right to be upset at importers.
No, Canadian dealers get raped in comparison...and then they pass the raping onto us...good times...

Cheers
Nov 8, 2007
61 posts
Dreyfus wrote: IMO Subaru US and Canada have acquitted themselves well during the last year. The Subaru dealers and sales persons on both sides of the border have treated Canadians with respect.

BMW needs a good swift kick in the balls...that's all I know...

Cheers
Nov 8, 2007
61 posts
ziploc wrote: they are idiots..(canadian dealers)....i personally was refused by 2 dealerships to service an imported car....

they think they are center of universe and are offend because i dare to buy from us dealer....
What manufacturer has refused to service your vehicle?

Cheers
Oct 15, 2007
120 posts
2 upvotes
TucDream wrote: Thanks to MM for starting the thread, all those who blazed the trail before me, LostHorizon, as well as Zach & Becca at Eastside Subaru.

Here's a couple of shots of our new baby in the beginnings of our first snowfall of the year. 15cm predicted, yahoo!

[IMG]http://www.rceheli.com/main/Images/tucdream.jpg[/IMG]
Great vanity plate.. Lovely feeling, eh? (I hosted one of your pic's for you on my site.. link to it if you want)

Gotta love that AWD... I just got back from Vancouver, and fortunately left the BMW at home in favor of the Subaru, tg.. :D . What a great car in the wet snow and ice...
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2005
1179 posts
114 upvotes
Brampton
I would also like to know why Xan was permanently banned? Though it is all up to the mods, can one of the mods explain what happened. Many RFD'ers owe $$$$$ of savings to him and they were all treated with respect. I just wanted to voice my opinion that (unless he crossed the line in some rude way), he didn't seem to do anything to warrant that!!

Just my two cents.. :|
Sep 1, 2007
113 posts
karl_at_vanbortel wrote:
I can definitely understand where you are coming from, but if Subaru Canada thinks by limiting the import from Subaru America they'll all be enjoying skyrocketing sales, they are kidding themselves.

Subaru Canada pits itself as competition with more luxurious brands, it's pricing is along the lines of intro Lexus/Infinity/European. But I seriously doubt many people who are considering a more luxurious vehicle will pick a Subaru instead of the aforementioned. Truth is, before this whole vehicle import fuzz became the hottest topic of discussion, I rarely saw any Subies on Toronto street. Even today they aren't very common and I can definitely count the number of Subies I encountered/day with one hand (with close to 70KM highway and 20KM local daily, btw did see an Outback and a Legacy with Van Botel plate frames this past month, looks brilliant :cheesygri )

If SOC somehow forced SOA into pushing new policies that limit/prohibit Canadian sales, people will just go to other options or hold out the purchase. But then I imagine SOA will be reluctant to give into SOC's pressure, they know they are "stealing" quite a lot of sales from the other Japanese big threes as well :lol:
May 30, 2006
296 posts
13 upvotes
showMeAnImport wrote: What manufacturer has refused to service your vehicle?

Cheers
KIA and Hyundai....but i prefer not to disclose the dealer names for now...

Kia when i was inquiring before deciding what to buy..

and Hyundai now when I bought my Hyundai minivan...