Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9609 posts
818 upvotes
Muskoka
I forgot to post this when I plated my car a few days ago, but just wanted to reiterate that you DO NOT need the certify a new car when you import it. Some people here had problems with the ministry, but I checked and double checked with my local one, even getting the manager to verify it.

Do not put up with any crap from any MTO staff who tell you otherwise. The key is the MCO, which tells them that the car has never been titled before.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2005
1044 posts
90 upvotes
Mississauga
Ford joins incentive parade with `allowance,' GST cut:

Ford is offering consumers big auto incentives worth several thousand dollars in response to a consumer uproar over much lower prices on the same vehicles in the U.S.

At Ford, the incentives will drop the price of a 2007 Focus ZX5 by $3,250 to $15,749; a 2007 Ford Fusion by $5,570 to $18,749 and a F-250 super duty pickup truck by $4,500 to $24,499. The prices do not include freight or taxes.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/273204
Oct 3, 2007
82 posts
Toronto
scrolllock wrote: I thought the immobilizer rule only applied to passenger cars of a certain weight?
No, it applies to passenger cars, MPVs, trucks and 3 wheeled vehicles manufactured after Sept 01, 2007 with GVWR less than 10,000 lbs.
Oct 14, 2007
109 posts
Pierrefonds, Quebec
J233 wrote: No, it applies to passenger cars, MPVs, trucks and 3 wheeled vehicles manufactured after Sept 01, 2007 with GVWR less than 10,000 lbs.
I guess I should have read back thru the thread.. someone I think posted the new standard or a short write up on it.
Standing Up for Consumers / Fair Automobile Pricing For Canadians
Please visit our site, sign our petition advocating Fair Pricing For Canadians, keep up with the latest import news, join our forum and team of members located all across Canada and 123 countries. All for free.
CarsWithoutBorders.com
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/CWBlogowithwords.jpg
Jan 1, 2007
137 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
vim wrote: OK, now I see updated RIV list. That is just a nonsense. OK, I agree that Sienna CE would not be admissable, as it does not have imobilizer, but LE, common, that is just funny.
Actually around end of September before my first unsuccessfull attempt to import Sienna I got e-mail from RIV telling me that "Sienna 2008 appears to be addmissible".
O well, there is no way I'll buy my new van for canadian price. No way. I have time to wait and other brands (Hyunday) to consider.
Can someone confirm? My friend is considering buying a 2008 Sienna with the help of an American friend. He told me that he heard stories that people has successfully importing 2008 Sienna into Canada. Thanks.
Nov 2, 2007
1 posts
i bought my rdx two months ago. honda is treating us badly.
i paid 590 us delivery fee for the vehicle. canadians pay 1750.
so if you bought an rdx made in ontario, your delivery fee is 1200 dollars higher.

not giving us the warranty? what a load of crap.
Infinnitiy, Toyota, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Subaru, all honour their warranty. So Dont buy a honda as long as they treat canadians like this. the rdx is a 35.5 thousand dollar car all costs in vs. 45 thousand in canada. gst and pst after that.

buy toyoto, lexus, infinitti, bmw, mercedes. if honda wants to be a premium car company, they should act like it.
Jan 1, 2007
137 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
Bullseye wrote: I forgot to post this when I plated my car a few days ago, but just wanted to reiterate that you DO NOT need the certify a new car when you import it. Some people here had problems with the ministry, but I checked and double checked with my local one, even getting the manager to verify it.

Do not put up with any crap from any MTO staff who tell you otherwise. The key is the MCO, which tells them that the car has never been titled before.
Is that true? I went to the "How to import cars to Canada" seminar by CBSA and Transport Canada, they said that even new cars are considered "used" when the vehicle is imported from US to Canada.
Jul 6, 2007
23 posts
1 upvote
Oshawa
My Dad just imported a 1 year old Honda Pilot with 500 miles on it from NYC, NY...saved about 20k!
Nov 18, 2006
379 posts
25 upvotes
So here's an email I sent to... 'Evelyn' shall we call her? at a toyota dealership near Washington DC where I'd lined up a purchase of a Prius. All it would have cost me was $190 for a flight to DC and they would have picked me up and brought me to the dealership.

Hi Evelyn,

Friday morning the Registry for Imported Vehicles (riv.ca) in Canada posted that Toyota will not be allowing most of its 2008 passenger cars sold in the US to be brought into Canada. Frustratingly this includes the Prius. You may want to voice your concern to Toyota America (I have). I know of LOTS of people that want to buy vehicles in the US because the Canadian dealerships are currently gouging us (the EXACT same vehicle as you were quoting me for $22,979 here in Canada costs $37,280 and our dollar is worth more than yours right now!!!). The only alteration that would need to be done to a 2008 Prius bought in the US would be to include daytime running lights (~$200) and an electronic engine immobilizer (which to my knowledge is already in/on the Prius).

Perhaps as a dealership your voice is worth more than mine, but I'm on a forum up here (RFD) that has thousands of people who want to buy vehicles in the US (of all makes), but in addition to not allowing the vehicles to be imported into Canada, the American manufacturers (GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota etc...) are not allowing their dealerships to sell to Canadians, robbing you guys of millions of dollars. The only maker allowing their vehicles to be sold to Canadians is Subaru and they're doing BRISK business right now. Unfortunately, Toyota etc.. are missing the boat on this one.

Thanks for being patient. I hope your voice will help turn the tide as I would have loved to have bought a Prius from you. I don't suppose you have 2007's left as the 2008's are now banned?

Sincerely,
James
May 30, 2006
296 posts
13 upvotes
I just inquired for a new Hyundai Entourage and the US Dealership, told me that they aren't allowed to sell new to Canadians.... :mad:

I might look a little further down south......but those who purchased a new Hyundai not long ago can You pm me the info....
(btw I'm RFD member before this thread was even started and I'm not a carmaker spy :twisted: )

I'm from Montreal, then dealers between Ohio and Atlantic ocean might be good...
Oct 31, 2007
12 posts
daftfunk wrote: At Ford, the incentives will drop the price of a 2007 Focus ZX5 by $3,250 to $15,749; a 2007 Ford Fusion by $5,570 to $18,749 and a F-250 super duty pickup truck by $4,500 to $24,499. The prices do not include freight or taxes.
So this delivery allowance is only for a couple of 2007 Ford vehicles. There website doesn't mention the increased delivery allowance. If that's the case, Thanks for nothing Ford. :evil:
Dec 27, 2006
27 posts
Mississauga
Looks like Lexus Canada has chopped its price at least for the 2008 GS350...it now has a base price of 61K instead of 65K from 2007...I guess that's a start haha...but still much cheaper in the States of course.
Oct 29, 2007
4 posts
Monsieurmaggot wrote: That's a HUGE misconception.

Most people on RFDs are getting much more vehicle in the US for the money they would be paying here.

I had a "budget" to buy a car.

In Canada I could have purchased a base Yaris for the same money I spent on a loaded Outback (okay perhaps a small exaggeration but you get my point!). The government got the same tax dollars from me.
I concur 200%. !! I was planning the purchase of a Buick Allure or similar car. I recalled a few years back when Americans were purchasing cars in Canada and started my research (discovered this site) and recently ordered a Lincoln MKZ at the same price as the Buick would have cost. I got a much more sophisticated and better equipped car
Oct 9, 2007
71 posts
Montrea;
jmlleung wrote: Can someone confirm? My friend is considering buying a 2008 Sienna with the help of an American friend. He told me that he heard stories that people has successfully importing 2008 Sienna into Canada. Thanks.
The 2008 Sienna if manufactured after Sept 1 2007 is no longer admissible per the Nov 1 2007 RIV list section 5.4
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
I'm going to get a used 2007 Prius this week and go thru the protocols. With the 2008 models locked out, that will help me make more money when I go to sell it. I love Toyota Canada!!! Thanks for putting money in my pocket.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)