Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
jwstewart wrote: I understand why the 1500 rebate disappeared, but why did you go from charging slightly lower than invoice to slightly higher than MSRP ?
It's a long story but basically without the Subaru incentives its not worth it unless the pricing is like in my example. > :(
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1216 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
Got a letter in the mail last night from Ministry of Finance - they're doing a review on the PST I paid on the vehicle... I guess a flag went off in their system that I paid PST on a value of $25k CDN for a vehicle that carries a book value in their system of closer to $40k!!! haha I love it!!! I am GLADLY sending them my paperwork!

Either that or I just coincidently fell into their random review pool.. but I'd prefer to think it's because of the price gap!
Dec 4, 2007
2 posts
eastsidesubaru wrote: It's a long story but basically without the Subaru incentives its not worth it unless the pricing is like in my example. > :(
Eastside..
You have always been upfront and eager to make sales to Canadians.. why the sudden cloak and dagger response "long story"..
It sounds like maybe you are not giving the best deal possible currently?
Just curious if you are offering the refund of the SAF - Subaru Advertising Fund? I know it is about $500 car?
I still would love to hear why you would have to charge over MSRP.. sounds like you are preparing to gouge us CDN's or you already have been..
Jun 27, 2004
858 posts
37 upvotes
Kitchener
Jay-c wrote: Got a letter in the mail last night from Ministry of Finance - they're doing a review on the PST I paid on the vehicle... I guess a flag went off in their system that I paid PST on a value of $25k CDN for a vehicle that carries a book value in their system of closer to $40k!!! haha I love it!!! I am GLADLY sending them my paperwork!

Either that or I just coincidently fell into their random review pool.. but I'd prefer to think it's because of the price gap!
It's not really random or a flag on the value; the problem is that you most likely did not pay PST on any duties (tax on tax!), if duties where assessed - ie, the 6.1%. I had a nice conversation with one of the folks from the MoF who basically said that they get the PST from the licensing bureau, but don't know if the vehicle was subjected to 6.1 duty, and if it was, if the PST was paid on the duty. If you were subject to duty and didn't pay at your provincial licensing bureau, you'll most likely get a bill for ~$120 (8% of 6.1% of 25k)....

You can check your paperwork from the licensing bureau to see if all the taxes where applied.

Brendon
Nov 16, 2007
24 posts
Lake Country, BC
bluemule999 wrote: Thank you for your electronic correspondence of November 29, 2007 to the Competition Bureau (the "Bureau") concerning restrictions on importing cars from the U.S. and the difference in car prices between Canada and the U.S...

The Bureau is responsible for enforcing the Competition Act (the "Act"). The purpose of the Act is to maintain and encourage competition in Canada in order to promote economic efficiency in the Canadian economy and to provide consumers with competitive prices and product choices...

...Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Wow! No wonder the gas companies are screwing us too! Ineptitude abounds, and big business is making a killing off us because of it. The way it stands I guess anything short of a confession on the part of cartels is going to give them free reign to continue what they're doing. In fairness to the Competition Bureau this does seem to be an international issue involving manufacturers between the US and Canada, but we are supposed to have mechanisms in place under NAFTA to deal with those b@st@rds too (would somebody please wake them up?); at any rate the market will eventually adjust if we keep building momentum as consumers.

Now that the immobilizer issue appears to be at hand I think the problem with auto manufacturers controlling the infamous "recall letters" needs to be addressed. That job (i.e. preparing letters re: recall status) needs to be put in the hands of an impartial group, as the parasites, er, manufacturers are now using those for their own profit too.
Nov 3, 2007
90 posts
If the Immobilizer BS is taken care of, then i would love the government to help with the recall letters, which should be provided free of charge.

Another thing 'id like the government to drop is the stinking 6.1 duty on cars, which is just another way for our idiotic government to gouge the consumer.
Aug 4, 2003
515 posts
2 upvotes
Aurora
jcl4 wrote: Dec 3- finally picked out my fav # and FINALLY have my car register and insured LEGALLY in BC.
Congratz man!!...The forester is an awesome choice!!! Nice that you got in just before the door close!!....Enjoy your ride and

POST PIX!!!.... :cheesygri
Jul 18, 2007
62 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Pilsie wrote: Eastside..
You have always been upfront and eager to make sales to Canadians.. why the sudden cloak and dagger response "long story"..
Just curious if you are offering the refund of the SAF - Subaru Advertising Fund? I know it is about $500 car?
I still would love to hear why you would have to charge over MSRP.. sounds like you are preparing to gouge us CDN's or you already have been..
Wow, that's quite a first post! Eastside has saved members of this forum thousands of dollars and I have yet to read a negative post about him by any member of this forum.

Do you believe he has no right to sell a car at a profit? There are plenty of on-line resources to check auto prices. Check it out, get a quote and take it or go elsewhere, your choice.
Oct 30, 2007
8 posts
North York
I was thinkng about importing US subaru since my 2003 impreza has been proved excellent car. I really want another impreza or forest . But 2008 US forester and impreza is not possible to register in canada .ALSO dollar getting lower .and there will be no more incentive for canadian buyer..i have to consider again. Anyway, people who import subaru including incentive when dollar 1.10us is really lucky. i lost chance..
Jul 20, 2007
203 posts
18 upvotes
Van
Your comments are completely uncalled for. Disgraceful.
Feb 27, 2004
309 posts
14 upvotes
Way over the line, especially from a 1 poster. Zach has been helpful to many buyers and potential buyers like myself with information and insight, not good deals. Why don't you PM him as to the "long story", he probably doesn't want to broadcast it to all the readers of this thread.

He's out to make a profit too, he's not going to just give away cars... It's not like he's the Red Cross or something. That said, if he can't offer a competitive price, we don't have a real reason to import.
You'll go broke saving money here....
Sep 7, 2005
666 posts
6 upvotes
flatman wrote: Wow, that's quite a first post! Eastside has saved members of this forum thousands of dollars and I have yet to read a negative post about him by any member of this forum.

Do you believe he has no right to sell a car at a profit? There are plenty of on-line resources to check auto prices. Check it out, get a quote and take it or go elsewhere, your choice.
I dunno. I too would like Xan to elaborate. That's quite a jump in price. Was planning on a purchase in May 08, but now am starting to wonder.

Karl, can you give us an idea of how your pricing will change in the new year, compared to the info at the buildyourownsubaru site?
Moo... or whatever it is camels do.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2151 posts
343 upvotes
Canada
Quote:
It has come to our attention that a growing number of dealers are conducting an increasing amount of sales outside the United States.

That is nuts! Increased sales should be good. The Canucks that are buying Subies in the USA are not the same people that would buy in Canada. They are doing it because they are wise consumers, they will just buy another Make of car in the USA in this case. They will not buy in Canada.
Mar 23, 2004
227 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
Kamloops wrote: Quote:
It has come to our attention that a growing number of dealers are conducting an increasing amount of sales outside the United States.

That is nuts! Increased sales should be good. The Canucks that are buying Subies in the USA are not the same people that would buy in Canada. They are doing it because they are wise consumers, they will just buy another Make of car in the USA in this case. They will not buy in Canada.
You hit it on the spot. I cannot afford and will not pay $48k for a car that will cost me $32k for the same car from the US.

Even with the rumoured incentives the cdn dealers giving it is still much cheaper in the US.
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
+1
Air Canada Aeroplan Super Elite Reservations: 1-800-401-7201 or 514-369-7598
get unlimited calls or other discounts by calling directly to:
Fido Retentions: call 611 then push 7, then push 3 - or Rogers Retentions 1-514-734-7873 or 1-866-228-7109
Telus Mobility: 1-877-279-3100 or 416-279-3100 or 1 416 296 7669 client.loyalty@telus.com
Bell Mobility: 1-866-313-1086
nice chairs http://www.eternitymodern.ca
great value - lol http://www.walmart.ca
Jun 27, 2004
858 posts
37 upvotes
Kitchener
Dano76 wrote: I dunno. I too would like Xan to elaborate. That's quite a jump in price. Was planning on a purchase in May 08, but now am starting to wonder.

Karl, can you give us an idea of how your pricing will change in the new year, compared to the info at the buildyourownsubaru site?
Dano - dealers can sell cars at or below what they paid for the vehicle and still make a profit. It at first sounds a bit funny, but the manufacturer will actually give the dealership some sort of cash after they sell the vehicle; this cash comes under a number of different plans (the "holdback" is a common one) for various reasons probably only known to those inside the business, but does come directly from the manufacturer. Thus a vehicle with an invoice price of 22k could be sold for 20k and could still be a profit to the dealership so long as the manufacturer gives the dealership back at least 2k+ dollars. It appears that SoA is cancelling these programs for sales that are made to Canadians - thus selling a 22k car for 20k is a net loss to the dealership. Continuing with the example, our 22k car lists as 23k (MSRP), but is selling at 20k right now because the manufacture is giving (again, for example) 3k to the dealer - the dealer is thus pocketing $1000 per vehicle. If the cash from the manufacturer is removed, in order to continue to make $1000 per vehicle, the dealer must now charge MSRP....

Naturally the dealer could also elect to make less money on Canadian sales... but why?

Personally, I bought a Mini a few months back and am looking at a LandRover for next spring... there are still deals to be had!
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2002
1294 posts
140 upvotes
Kingston ON
Kamloops wrote: Quote:
I agree,
I would have never considered an Outback because I couldn't afford $40+K. Once I found out (thanks again MM :) ) that I could pick one up for under $30 - well the rest is history. Next time if I can't get a Subaru at a decent price I will look at other makes! It only makes sense - never in Canada until they get it right.
Just think about all the people that have viewed this thread and then all the others that they have told. I know between work and family I have probably told this story 500 times. The story will get out and sales will suffer.
my 2 cents,
Carlos

Free be Freebie
Oct 23, 2007
12 posts
I seem remember that someone posted here said that each person can only import up to 2 cars a year. Is there a limit of how many cars each person can import for personal use in a year? Any official URL?

Thanks
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
Hi: I don't know whether to jump or not. Was going to wait a year to buy (I have a 04 TSX which is very good) but have banked US$ and don't like the looks of dealers forced not to sell to Canadians.

I am interested in an 08 Legacy GT Limited Sedan, with navigation, arm rest extender and XM. Anyone buy one of these? Price? Problems with these cars?
thanks. I would do it before new years to keep the incentives in place.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1051 posts
30 upvotes
Thornhill
st7860 wrote: +1

st7860, you made me seriously questioning where you come from. First you attacked Xan from Manchester, now you're joining Pilsie to attack Zach. Are you going to attack Karl as well? What is your problem?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)