Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

  • Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer
 
112
33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper
 
149
44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!
 
61
18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same
 
6
2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!
 
7
2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2006
178 posts
6 upvotes
the car costs 3000$ (for every 30000$ ) less since september 2007 (because of the worst currency in the world right now, the one and unique 'green back' busho)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 18, 2005
11146 posts
2558 upvotes
Kingston
Did anyone read Honda's ad in the paper this morning that seemed like it was supposed to address the lower prices in the US. It was something like this (my editorial comments in brackets):

Honda offers a new deal for Canadians
0.9% financing (so what)
Full warranty (so your refusal to extend US warranties to Canada is a "feature"?)
High residual value (not a difference between Cdn and US bought cars)
Reduced sales tax on trade-ins (government policy not a Honda offer, and you have to accept the dealer's lousy trade-in offer to get this.
Potential to get gov't rebates for green cars (Cdn gov't offer, not a Honda offer)
1% GST rebate until Dec 31/07 (Genuine benefit offered by Honda so people don't have to wait for lower GST in January)

It is almost unbelievable how much they don't get it. They are now spending money on full-page advertising with the same kind of BS that salesmen have been spouting.
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2006
178 posts
6 upvotes
So don`t buy even a HONDA in Canada, buy anything else in US


JWL wrote: Did anyone read Honda's ad in the paper this morning that seemed like it was supposed to address the lower prices in the US. It was something like this (my editorial comments in brackets):

Honda offers a new deal for Canadians
0.9% financing (so what)
Full warranty (so your refusal to extend US warranties to Canada is a "feature"?)
High residual value (not a difference between Cdn and US bought cars)
Reduced sales tax on trade-ins (government policy not a Honda offer, and you have to accept the dealer's lousy trade-in offer to get this.
Potential to get gov't rebates for green cars (Cdn gov't offer, not a Honda offer)
1% GST rebate until Dec 31/07 (Genuine benefit offered by Honda so people don't have to wait for lower GST in January)

It is almost unbelievable how much they don't get it. They are now spending money on full-page advertising with the same kind of BS that salesmen have been spouting.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1573 posts
92 upvotes
Collingwood
RRKnight wrote: Great, but that's 14hours away from me. Anyone else have dealt with an infiniti dealer near the GTA that are willing to sell brand new to Canadians?
I guess you have to decide what 28hours of your time is worth :P. I know it would be worth it to me!
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 3, 2004
781 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
JWL wrote: Did anyone read Honda's ad in the paper this morning that seemed like it was supposed to address the lower prices in the US. It was something like this (my editorial comments in brackets):

Honda offers a new deal for Canadians
0.9% financing (so what)
Full warranty (so your refusal to extend US warranties to Canada is a "feature"?)
High residual value (not a difference between Cdn and US bought cars)
Reduced sales tax on trade-ins (government policy not a Honda offer, and you have to accept the dealer's lousy trade-in offer to get this.
Potential to get gov't rebates for green cars (Cdn gov't offer, not a Honda offer)
1% GST rebate until Dec 31/07 (Genuine benefit offered by Honda so people don't have to wait for lower GST in January)

It is almost unbelievable how much they don't get it. They are now spending money on full-page advertising with the same kind of BS that salesmen have been spouting.
It's a joke. The only thing we can do now is spread the words and vote with our money. It's just ridiculous how the majority of Canadians is unaware of their BS and continue to spend their hard earned money.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 3, 2002
3117 posts
1751 upvotes
GTA
Monsieurmaggot wrote: Remember the "import cars from the US" sites didn't exist before this thread started.
While I appreciate your work here, this is not quite true. I first learned about how easy it was to import cars into Canada from the Cars101 site http://www.cars101.com/canada.html and I know it preceeded this post by at least 6+ months...
Newbie
Dec 19, 2005
86 posts
11 upvotes
.9 % is great, but only if the msrp matches the US MSRP.
What part of change your msrp don't honda \ acura understand. and for not honouring warranty across the border, well it looks like we finally know your true colours... :evil: Even Toyota is not that bad with them covering warrantly across the border. What's funny is that I am looking at the Honda extended warranty agreement from the US, and it says your vehicle will be covered under Honda warranty in the US AND CANADA. Wait til someone takes you to court for that one.
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2006
178 posts
6 upvotes
Just another reason of not buying another Honda , HONDA SUCKS FOR LIFE


jafferk wrote: .9 % is great, but only if the msrp matches the US MSRP.
What part of change your msrp don't honda \ acura understand. and for not honouring warranty across the border, well it looks like we finally know your true colours... :evil: Even Toyota is not that bad with them covering warrantly across the border. What's funny is that I am looking at the Honda extended warranty agreement from the US, and it says your vehicle will be covered under Honda warranty in the US AND CANADA. Wait til someone takes you to court for that one.
Member
User avatar
May 7, 2006
364 posts
20 upvotes
I'd really appreciate some advice on this.

I've got a vehicle I'm picking up that had it's title faxed on Tuesday.

The dealer faxed a title for the same model vehicle a few days earlier.

He as told me that I can use that reciept and export the car without waiting the full 72 hours. According to him, it's done all the time and they never look for the original fax (ambassador).

I'm pretty paranoid, so I don't want any potential trouble.

That said, being able to pick the car up tomorrow (48 hours) vs. Friday is much more convenient for me.

Any advice (only from those who've already exported)

Thanks
Heatware: 100% positive
My heatware
Username moguy
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
moguy wrote: He as told me that I can use that reciept and export the car without waiting the full 72 hours. According to him, it's done all the time and they never look for the original fax (ambassador).
I don't know about Ambassador, but at Queenston/Lewiston, they are pretty strict on the 72 hrs.
Newbie
Nov 4, 2007
16 posts
jafferk wrote: .9 % is great, but only if the msrp matches the US MSRP.
What part of change your msrp don't honda \ acura understand. and for not honouring warranty across the border, well it looks like we finally know your true colours... :evil: Even Toyota is not that bad with them covering warrantly across the border. What's funny is that I am looking at the Honda extended warranty agreement from the US, and it says your vehicle will be covered under Honda warranty in the US AND CANADA. Wait til someone takes you to court for that one.
As of right now with Canadian dollar at 109.39 ie... .914 cents US for one Dollar Canadian.

On Honda's web sites...
US site.
Honda Civic EXL - 21,375 US MRSP +Tran& Prep = 19535.75 CAN before GST & PST
Canadian Site:
Honda Civic EXL - 26,175 Canadian before taxes .


After Taxes: and RIV fee 22,515 Canadian versus 29,826 Canadian saving s of over $7,000.

And the Canadian dealers want to give me free mats and a tuneup?????

Don't buy until the dust clears or if you have to buy in the US, but buy a car that is on the list .... the process is simple.


This issue here is not the big spenders, but think of the young family just starting out with a couple of kids ... trying to make it and they get gouged by the big automakers..

Sure Harper brings down the GST and cut taxes, but he could do more. Why is the little guy always being taken advantage of.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 26, 2006
1549 posts
50 upvotes
ON
Will pm you my findings...
Also: http://tinyurl.com/2tf3lj


Xinc wrote: I thought Volkswagen sells to Canadians as well.

BTW, anyone care to share comments on the Passat vs. Subaru Outback? I'm interested in a wagon and was decided on the Outback, but after "pondering" a bit more I found the car a little 2 small for my family. (Wife, 2 grown teens, dog, all the luggage etc...) Passat seems to be a very good size and a "full-fledged" station wagon.

But VW's reliability worries me :o
Member
User avatar
May 7, 2006
364 posts
20 upvotes
HighFlyer wrote: I don't know about Ambassador, but at Queenston/Lewiston, they are pretty strict on the 72 hrs.
But do they pull up the original fax, or is it enough for them to look at your fax reciept along with the original title?
Heatware: 100% positive
My heatware
Username moguy

Top