Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
moguy wrote: But do they pull up the original fax, or is it enough for them to look at your fax reciept along with the original title?
They enter the VIN into their computer, which tells them when the title was faxed, and then they go to that day's folder to pull out the fax copy.
May 7, 2006
364 posts
20 upvotes
HighFlyer wrote: They enter the VIN into their computer, which tells them when the title was faxed, and then they go to that day's folder to pull out the fax copy.
Thanks.

I'm waiting till friday then :)
Heatware: 100% positive
My heatware
Username moguy
Jan 2, 2007
306 posts
3 upvotes
ust another reason of not buying another Honda , HONDA SUCKS FOR LIFE
I wish Toyota or Honda didn't make such reliable products -- otherwise I'd look for something else. However, I will go out of my way to buy their products. (I have 2 Acuras in my driveway ... one bought in the US last year.) I didn't worry too much about the warranty since the TSX is Japan built (and there is a difference in build quality ... you should see how they assemble cars in Japan or South Korea compared to locally) and was in its 5th year of production. It's not difficult to find brokers who will buy and resell to Canadians (ie Honda & Toyota). So you can buy a "new" car without being impeded by corporate.

However, I do think boycotting a product using the power of the consumer's dollar is a very effective method of invoking change in practices. They probably won't change their policies since ~90% of buyers are financing/leasing cars. All those consumers care about is how much they pay a month. And most worry about having a warranty. I'd only worry if it's the 1st year of production where "bugs" are most likely to occur. If I had a bad tranny, like on the new V6 Camry before the change or bad build quality on the Tundra ... that's where buying from the US would screw you over. Otherwise ... the savings on buying new over there would easily cover any minor problems you could pay out of pocket (instead of warranty).

Next time around, I'll most likely buy again the US (ETA March 2008). And I will buy a product that will honour the warranty on this side of the border, so no Honda or Toyota product (besides ... their products are boring, outside of the new Accord coupe).

Thanks to the OP for giving me the courage to importing last year with the TSX.
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
The dealer SHOULD have faxed the actual title for your car, not a same model car as yours because the VIN's are unique. And I would not take his word that US Customs don't check for the original. He's not the one who goes to the border. It's YOU who has to go thru the process, not him. What if you get in trouble with US Customs for not honoring the 72 hrs clearance? It's you at the border, not him. Everything will go smoothly if you follow what is required. If you decide to take chances, be prepared to deal with the hassles.

moguy wrote: I'd really appreciate some advice on this.

I've got a vehicle I'm picking up that had it's title faxed on Tuesday.

The dealer faxed a title for the same model vehicle a few days earlier.

He as told me that I can use that reciept and export the car without waiting the full 72 hours. According to him, it's done all the time and they never look for the original fax (ambassador).

I'm pretty paranoid, so I don't want any potential trouble.

That said, being able to pick the car up tomorrow (48 hours) vs. Friday is much more convenient for me.

Any advice (only from those who've already exported)

Thanks
May 7, 2006
364 posts
20 upvotes
diigii wrote: The dealer SHOULD have faxed the actual title for your car, not a same model car as yours because the VIN's are unique. And I would not take his word that US Customs don't check for the original. He's not the one who goes to the border. It's YOU who has to go thru the process, not him. What if you get in trouble with US Customs for not honoring the 72 hrs clearance? It's you at the border, not him. Everything will go smoothly if you follow what is required. If you decide to take chances, be prepared to deal with the hassles.
Thanks diigii.

That's what I thought. I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't being over-paranoid.

This board has been incredibly helpful :)
Heatware: 100% positive
My heatware
Username moguy
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
No problem. Just returning the favour and help I got here as well. I followed the whole export/import process and it was so easy and smooth.
moguy wrote: Thanks diigii.

That's what I thought. I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't being over-paranoid.

This board has been incredibly helpful :)
Oct 21, 2007
102 posts
2 upvotes
In today's Globe.
GM takes biggest loss in its history.
$39 Billion US $35 Billion Canadian over 3 months.
Me thinks we will see one of the 3 domestic manufacturers in receivership before the end of 2008. Should be some bargains to be found then.
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
And they still stick to their mantra of protecting the US and Canadian markets separate, when what they should be doing is try to sell as much cars as they can to try to avoid that $39B loss and lose market share. Who's to blame now? Subaru? :cheesygri
Dreyfus wrote: In today's Globe.
GM takes biggest loss in its history.
$39 Billion US $35 Billion Canadian over 3 months.
Me thinks we will see one of the 3 domestic manufacturers in receivership before the end of 2008. Should be some bargains to be found then.
May 23, 2007
62 posts
Toronto
Anyone interested in an 2008 RX 350 AWD - Premium Plus Package please contact me via MSG.

2008 RX 350 AWD - Premium Plus Package
Silver Ext, Gray leather/walnut interior
1800 miles, brand new condition.

Purchased and registered in US in early Aug 07. The vehicle is currently in Toronto and ready for import.

As is asking price CAD 44K
Imported asking price CAD 50K

I am switching to an MDX or some thing with a third row seating.
Nov 6, 2006
23 posts
Calgary, AB
HondaSucks wrote: As of right now with Canadian dollar at 109.39 ie... .914 cents US for one Dollar Canadian.

On Honda's web sites...
US site.
Honda Civic EXL - 21,375 US MRSP +Tran& Prep = 19535.75 CAN before GST & PST
Canadian Site:
Honda Civic EXL - 26,175 Canadian before taxes .

After Taxes: and RIV fee 22,515 Canadian versus 29,826 Canadian saving s of over $7,000.

And the Canadian dealers want to give me free mats and a tuneup?????

much worse:
Nissan X-TERRA:
USA: USD 22,675 = CAD 20,750
http://build.nissanusa.com/configurator ... code=59486

CANADA, same car same trim: CAD 37,298.00 +GST = CAD 39,535.00
http://nissan.ca/en/buying/configure/de ... ode=8CLG58
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOlllllllll
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2004
1274 posts
46 upvotes
To those that have gone through the process, I am thinking of bringing across a used WRX STI 2007 with some mods done, namely a Front Mounted Intercooler. Just wondering if this is going to be a problem for it to pass inspection at Canadian Tire??
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1257 upvotes
Sauga
Luc wrote: much worse:
Nissan X-TERRA:
USA: USD 22,675 = CAD 20,750
http://build.nissanusa.com/configurator ... code=59486

CANADA, same car same trim: CAD 37,298.00 +GST = CAD 39,535.00
http://nissan.ca/en/buying/configure/de ... ode=8CLG58
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOlllllllll
You need to compare apples to apples.

US: Nissan Xterra S 4WD = US$24880 + US$745 = CA$23300
CA: Nissan Xterra S 4WD = CA$34598 + CA$1400 = CA$35998

Yes, it's a very big difference but not quite as much as you calculated.
Nov 3, 2007
90 posts
Hmm what would happen if 3000 canadians would bombard each car manufacturer with phone calls , and ask the same thing over and over again:

"Are you going to lower the MSRP, or do i have to go to the States to purchase a car" :) I think they might get the message, sooner or later... perhaps, maybe.

I for one will not purchase a new/used car in Canada until the price is withing 5 percent of what the americans pay for theirs.
Oct 21, 2007
102 posts
2 upvotes
Hon. Lawrence Cannon
CMVSS114 is a non tariff barrier to trade that is costing Canadians $4,000 to $40,000 per car.
We are now near to a repeat of the Rona Ambrose debacle. Lawrence how will you like it when you are known as Rona Cannon. You will like it even less when Harper is standing in front of the cameras like a deer caught in the headlights flustering and blustering as he tries to defend the indefensible, while Stephane, Jack and Gilles politely try to cover their giggles. Lawrence you can still save yourself from ignominy.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1257 upvotes
Sauga
GougingCarCartelGroup wrote: Hmm what would happen if 3000 canadians would bombard each car manufacturer with phone calls , and ask the same thing over and over again:

"Are you going to lower the MSRP, or do i have to go to the States to purchase a car" :) I think they might get the message, sooner or later... perhaps, maybe.
I think they're already know that many Canadians know about the big price difference. That's why all the market restrictions are in place.

Rather than calling and annoying them, just don't bother them. What reason is there to visit the local dealership if the manufacturers are not reasonable with their prices? Silence in the showrooms from the lack of customers will annoy the dealers more a ringing phone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)