Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
accorder wrote: actually it might not be a bad thing for dealers to sell U.S. vechiles. Soon the Canadian car companies will have to slash the price to move the new car inventory. No matter what I won't even visit any dealers till prices come down meaningfully. Let the dealers put pressure on the car companies.
Clear message from car industry is "Do as I say, don't do as I do"

Not sustainable in the long term.
Nov 8, 2007
272 posts
55 upvotes
White Rock BC
Tide went out. GM is exposed. New RIV list.

Inadmissible

2008 Cadillac XLR. The
vehicle cannot be modified
to meet CMVSS 215
(bumpers).
2008 Corvette models
Coupe, Convertible and
Z06. The vehicle cannot
be modified to meet
CMVSS 215 (bumpers).

With the demise of the immobilizer roadblock. Suddenly, the bumpers cannot be modified to meet the Canadian standard. Yet, the pre 08 c6 vette can be modified. Same car. I smell fear.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1225 posts
518 upvotes
Well, I'm finally taking the plunge and put a deposit on the first of two cars we'll be buying over the next few weeks. This one is in Minneapolis.

I've searched the forums and googled but haven't found the exact info I need. Can someone point me to a listing of hours of operation for border crossings for Manitoba and/or Saskatchewan? The info effects my timing. There's lots of talk around BC and Ontario but (naturally) less for those of us out here. I did check carburner (in my favourites!) but the listings we more for east and west of us here.

Thanks
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
Prof wrote: Well, I'm finally taking the plunge and put a deposit on the first of two cars we'll be buying over the next few weeks. This one is in Minneapolis.

I've searched the forums and googled but haven't found the exact info I need. Can someone point me to a listing of hours of operation for border crossings for Manitoba and/or Saskatchewan? The info effects my timing. There's lots of talk around BC and Ontario but (naturally) less for those of us out here. I did check carburner (in my favourites!) but the listings we more for east and west of us here.

Thanks
www.cbsa.gc.ca
Air Canada Aeroplan Super Elite Reservations: 1-800-401-7201 or 514-369-7598
get unlimited calls or other discounts by calling directly to:
Fido Retentions: call 611 then push 7, then push 3 - or Rogers Retentions 1-514-734-7873 or 1-866-228-7109
Telus Mobility: 1-877-279-3100 or 416-279-3100 or 1 416 296 7669 client.loyalty@telus.com
Bell Mobility: 1-866-313-1086
nice chairs http://www.eternitymodern.ca
great value - lol http://www.walmart.ca
Nov 28, 2007
173 posts
8 upvotes
Kelowna
Prof wrote: Well, I'm finally taking the plunge and put a deposit on the first of two cars we'll be buying over the next few weeks. This one is in Minneapolis.

Thanks
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/nd/ - this takes you to the US side - North Dakota
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1225 posts
518 upvotes
Thanks for the links and the PM's. Here goes!
Dec 10, 2007
80 posts
Wow that is just sick, i feel so angry at the ass-hole manufacturers, that i am starting to feel like i don't want to purchase another car ever again.

03terminator wrote: Tide went out. GM is exposed. New RIV list.

Inadmissible

2008 Cadillac XLR. The
vehicle cannot be modified
to meet CMVSS 215
(bumpers).
2008 Corvette models
Coupe, Convertible and
Z06. The vehicle cannot
be modified to meet
CMVSS 215 (bumpers).

With the demise of the immobilizer roadblock. Suddenly, the bumpers cannot be modified to meet the Canadian standard. Yet, the pre 08 c6 vette can be modified. Same car. I smell fear.
Mar 4, 2004
212 posts
5 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
freewheel wrote: Main problem withthese things is the 40km/hr max. speed. Even in downtown Toronto at least 50 km/hr is needed if not 60.

If they could make this thing to go 60, I'd buy one.
+1 my thoughts exactly!

If I'm stuck behind someone going 40 km/hr I go mental!
Nov 11, 2007
8 posts
Hi guys,

I am in Alberta and looking for Toyota dealers willing to sell to Canadians.
I am in the market for a Sienna. Please pm me if you know any.

Thanks.
Jan 11, 2003
19 posts
2 upvotes
Same here re: sienna from the post a few up. Looking for AWD SE if anyone knows :)
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1192 posts
176 upvotes
Montreal
There's an article in french which explains BMW's actions . There is no specific reference to them but it's easy to see now. More and more luxury used cars are imported in Canada (Quebec) and it is denting sales of new ones because of the HUGE price difference between new Canadian models and slightly used US models. BMW is no longer only trying to prevent NEW cars from being imported. They're doing it for all cars.

http://monvolant.cyberpresse.ca/200712/ ... ublent.php

The stats were compiled by the SAAQ (Quebec's MOT).

43 000 used cars imported last year in Quebec. The number is projected to be 80 000 this year.
Feb 16, 2004
177 posts
10 upvotes
Came thru yesterday with my 07 Saturn Outlook .. there were 4 Van Bortel Subarus along side me and a Honda Pilot and H2 Hummer .. US Customs was definitely understaffed -- but as long as the fax was there they were quick and happy -- if it wasnt they didnt want to deal with you. My fax was there and I was out of there in 10 minutes.
Canadian customs was more like a Walmart -- had the greeter, the paperwork folks, the sales rep then off to the cashier. Oh and dont forget the customs agent on the way out checking out the cars and seeing how much money you saved :-)
(Queenston/Lewiston around 2:30pm)
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2979 posts
721 upvotes
showMeAnImport wrote: ? The list still says Dec 12...

Cheers
Try the .pdf link (although I just checked the html link and it's been updated as well):

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importat ... /VAFUS.pdf

Basically, adds a new EIS designation (read the notes about immobilizers) - Scion xD's are not admissable I'm guessing because of the bumpers? :( Guess I'll have to wait for the 2009 Vibe (I actually like it better than the 2009 matrix).
Aug 14, 2006
232 posts
1 upvote
showMeAnImport wrote: ? The list still says Dec 12...

Cheers
WOOOHOOO, 2008 Subaru sti ADMISSILE!! Thats great news, now I just have to make sure that the local Subaru dealership will still give me warranty. Its nice to see that the powers that be are at least not giving in to the Canadian Auto Maunfactures who are trying to screw the "little" guy who's trying to save abuck. On a side note, when I went to the dealer he gave me the big speech about when I go and sell my US car I will have a very hard time and it will be worth a fration of a Canadain car, I asked him, if I am saving roughly $8000-$10,000 plus the US spec car comes with Navi, which the Canadain car dosen't, in 5-6 years when I go and sell it if I am $8000 dollars cheaper then the next car will I have that hard of a time? O well.
Banned
Oct 24, 2004
589 posts
14 upvotes
Hi,

When bringing car over, you need to inform customs 72 hours in advance. I want to come by with car and leave title of origin at US customs and leave car in US to wait for 72 hours.
Anyone knows where can I leave car at Queenston/Lewiston entry? Any idea how much this would cost for 3-4 days?

Thanks
Nov 13, 2007
2 posts
I'm from Edmonton & purchased in Las Vegas ( 2008 Acura RDX ). Get an out of state address other than from the dealer state that you purchase the vehicle in so that you don't have to register the vehicle in the dealer state or pay the sales tax of the dealers state that you purchase the vehicle in.

Get a 30 day transit sticker from the dealership to drivr the new vehicle to your address state. fax your forms to US customs 72 hrs before you arrive at US border. they will ask for your original document that you faxed & will stamp it.
Your outa their to the canada side & they will want to see your stamped Document. they will fill out the form 1 & pay your GST & Airconditioning tax ( $ 100.00) Drive the vehicle home.

Call TIV & pay your fee for your Form 2 . once you get the form 2 that will the last hurdel.

Register vehicle.

If you have an USA address they will sell you the Vehicle. Ensure that the vehicle can be Exported from USA and can be Impoeted to canada (RIV Web site )

real_term wrote: Hi guys,

I am in Alberta and looking for Toyota dealers willing to sell to Canadians.
I am in the market for a Sienna. Please pm me if you know any.

Thanks.
Aug 14, 2006
232 posts
1 upvote
[quote="The Red Baron" post_id="6138905" time="1198352099" user_id="125376"]I'm from Edmonton & purchased in Las Vegas ( 2008 Acura RDX ). Get an out of state address other than from the dealer state that you purchase the vehicle in so that you don't have to register the vehicle in the dealer state or pay the sales tax of the dealers state that you purchase the vehicle in.

What about warranty?
Nov 13, 2007
2 posts
You will have warrenty in USA for sure, and I think it is a better one!!!! than in Canada. "My own opinion". ;)

Canadian Vehicle manufactures (cvm)still have their own heads jammed up their own tails!!!

CVM'S are all walking arround with their heads jammed up their own tails so far and " so full of themselves with Puffed up Chests " trying to " BLOW!!! Whippin Poof Dust!!!! :?: " up your's and everyone else's Tails!!!!! with a

" GOLD PLATED STAINLESS STEEL PIPE!!!! ". :D

" NOW YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO REVERSE THE TREND AND BLOW IT UP THEIR TAILS!!!! " :cheesygri

State of Montana has no sales tax & you can purchase a US Postal Box for $ 60.00 per year. They will forward all your mail. ;)

Red Baron
Edmonton, AB
agepag wrote: