Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Dec 14, 2003
15 posts
vim wrote:

Anyone knows where can I leave car at Queenston/Lewiston entry? Any idea how much this would cost for 3-4 days?
When I had to leave my car for the 72 hrs, I arranged a deal with the owner directly (the day or night staff don't have authority to do this) at:

Super 8 Motel - Niagara Falls/Buffalo Area
7680 Niagara Falls Blvd
76 Street Niagara Falls Blvd
Niagara Falls, NY, 14304 US
Phone: 716-283-3151
Fax: 716-215-0296

Lots of parking in the back, well lit, security camera, but not the best part of town obviously.

$ 20.00 cash for 4 nights

The handy part about it is if you have to go back to canada in the meantime, there is the shopping shuttle nearby at fashion outlets.

The I-190 is only 2 minutes away and is a very quick drive up to Lewiston.
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
As many of you know, GM is currently running a print ad showing the cost of an uplander minivan in the USA and in Canada. They show US price is ~20000, Can price is about 19800 or so. Saw an ad today in Detroit newspaper of uplander for around 15,500. So, again, deceptive advertising in Canada. They use MSRP in both countries, when nobody in their right mind would pay that in USA.
Jan 10, 2007
778 posts
446 upvotes
Montreal
Out of curiosity, did anyone notice the new Canadian flag that GM has designed ? It looks strange ! Imagine if they had done that to the US flag !

zircon wrote: As many of you know, GM is currently running a print ad showing the cost of an uplander minivan in the USA and in Canada. They show US price is ~20000, Can price is about 19800 or so. Saw an ad today in Detroit newspaper of uplander for around 15,500. So, again, deceptive advertising in Canada. They use MSRP in both countries, when nobody in their right mind would pay that in USA.
Feb 16, 2004
177 posts
10 upvotes
jeffcars wrote: When I had to leave my car for the 72 hrs, I arranged a deal with the owner directly (the day or night staff don't have authority to do this) at:

Super 8 Motel - Niagara Falls/Buffalo Area
7680 Niagara Falls Blvd
76 Street Niagara Falls Blvd
Niagara Falls, NY, 14304 US
Phone: 716-283-3151
Fax: 716-215-0296

Lots of parking in the back, well lit, security camera, but not the best part of town obviously.

$ 20.00 cash for 4 nights

The handy part about it is if you have to go back to canada in the meantime, there is the shopping shuttle nearby at fashion outlets.

The I-190 is only 2 minutes away and is a very quick drive up to Lewiston.
Any of the lots at the Buffalo airport would work as well. There is a motel near the airport (Best Western?) that lets you park there for a fee for a week or so if you are going to the airport. See google buffalo airport hotels parking etc.
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
DSTU wrote: Contacted Dealer regarding a Letter of Admissibility for a 2002 BMW M3.

Was actually surprised by how helpful they were.

Costs:

Letter Of Admissibility - $350
Software Update for DRL - $103
Recall Letter - $500

So all in all not bad :)
:evil: :evil: OMFG!!!! It has been a couple of months since I have spent time on this thread and about 4 months since I imported my new 2007 Nissan Maxima with no concern for immobolizers, not getting rebates, having dealers cancel as their H/O now forbid them from selling to Cdns....I hear even Subaru is going to stop giving the rebates to Cdns as of Jan1.

Why are we all putting up with this....

$900 is a good deal for stealing money from you just for the right to buy a BMW car..and a 5 yr old one at that..WTF???????...they should be kissing your ass to be so lucky as to have you take the f'ing keys from them..this issue gets me so :evil: ....

Anyone one who reads this stance by BMW and then buys one of their products should have their head examined.....buy another luxury brand, then drive to your local BMW with your shiny new car and thank the BMW owner personally for making your purchase decision so easy!!!!
RFD importer of 2007 Nissan Maxima..savings of 14k
Dec 21, 2007
1 posts
What is behind the US Title clearance?
What if you skip this step, knowing that the your car title is 100% clear of any lien?
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
I must stop reading this thread..every time I do my blood pressure shoots up and I am likely taking 6 months off my life expectancy! :mad:
RFD importer of 2007 Nissan Maxima..savings of 14k
Dec 24, 2002
26 posts
2 upvotes
I am now seeing 2008 Subarus being sold with 10,000 miles or less on them. Would they be considered used (i.e. not be effected by the Jan 3rd loss of sales person incentives)? I recognize that the customer rebates are not an issue as they wouldn't apply to these vehicles but as mentioned a number of times it it is the lack of sales commissions and that new sales to Canadians wouldn't count towards a salesman's numbers that is a bigger issue (i.e. no incentive for them to sell to you or at least strike a good deal). After Jan 3rd should we see any change to the prices or salesman's desire to sell used Subarus to Canadians?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1262 upvotes
Sauga
vim wrote: Hi,

When bringing car over, you need to inform customs 72 hours in advance. I want to come by with car and leave title of origin at US customs and leave car in US to wait for 72 hours.
Anyone knows where can I leave car at Queenston/Lewiston entry? Any idea how much this would cost for 3-4 days?

Thanks
It might be worth contacting CBI at http://cbiusa.com/Contact_Us.htm to see if they'd be willing to store the car for a few days. They're closed until Thursday, though.
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
santosuares wrote: What is behind the US Title clearance?
What if you skip this step, knowing that the your car title is 100% clear of any lien?
The check is not done for your benefit, it is done by the US govt to see if there are liens or if the car is stolen. They stamp your paperwork, and the canucks are supposed to check it when you import. no stamp, no import. I would not screw around with this - fax your title, then show up 3 days later and it is done in 10 minutes.
Apr 1, 2007
444 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
My friend purchased a car for me in California today and is planning to ship it to Buffalo. How do I get a temporary permit in NY to drive back my car to Toronto and avoid paying US taxes? Thanks
Dec 25, 2006
423 posts
8 upvotes
tor98 wrote: My friend purchased a car for me in California today and is planning to ship it to Buffalo. How do I get a temporary permit in NY to drive back my car to Toronto and avoid paying US taxes? Thanks
Why doesn't your friend get a temp tag in Cali or you could try your luck getting one from Ontario (With s US title)?
Don't forget getting insurance,you might be asked to show proof of insurance at the border.
Dec 25, 2006
423 posts
8 upvotes
I'm importing a 2005 Chevy Express and I'm supposed to take it for inspection.It's to be inspected only for DRL,Metric speedometer and functioning Airbags.While I was driving the vehicle to Canada,the airbag light came on and stayed on,it may be some small thing.
Would it fail the inspection if the light is on?
How extensive is the inspection at CT anyways?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5867 posts
1923 upvotes
Ottawa
The Red Baron wrote: You will have warrenty in USA for sure, and I think it is a better one!!!! than in Canada. "My own opinion". ;)

Red Baron
Edmonton, AB
Actually if you care about the warranty, you should double check that; I believe Honda/Acura warranties are void if the vehicle is not registered in the US or transfered in a way they accept (e.g. US resident moving to Canada)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5867 posts
1923 upvotes
Ottawa
tor98 wrote: My friend purchased a car for me in California today and is planning to ship it to Buffalo. How do I get a temporary permit in NY to drive back my car to Toronto and avoid paying US taxes? Thanks
I don't believe you can: I believe you can only get a temp permit in the state you buy or in the state you register.
Dec 25, 2006
423 posts
8 upvotes
eastsidesubaru wrote: Man... I can't believe the fun is over :(
Oh well.. Who wants to buy used Subarus? :cheesygri
Why?What happened?
I've been away for a while.
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
US MSRP is a much better deal than OTD Cdn pricing.

Am I missing something?
Apr 1, 2007
444 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
Nitol wrote: Why doesn't your friend get a temp tag in Cali or you could try your luck getting one from Ontario (With s US title)?
Don't forget getting insurance,you might be asked to show proof of insurance at the border.
If I register in California, then I have to pay California tax.
michelb wrote: I don't believe you can: I believe you can only get a temp permit in the state you buy or in the state you register.
The title is changed to my friend's name in California not mine. He'll ship the car to Buffalo, so technically he doesn't need to register the car in california. I was hoping to be able to register the car in NY w/o paying NY taxes.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3287 posts
438 upvotes
Mississauga
should i be worried? im picking mine up on Jan 2nd pricing is all set.

what fun is over? is there something else happening?