Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4698 posts
820 upvotes
SK
Nitol wrote: Why?What happened?
I've been away for a while.
Danno2005 wrote: US MSRP is a much better deal than OTD Cdn pricing.

Am I missing something?
dreaderus wrote: should i be worried? im picking mine up on Jan 2nd pricing is all set.

what fun is over? is there something else happening?
As of Jan. 3, 2008, SOA is no longer offering Rebates, incentives, or any other credit to sales made for export. Also the export sale will not count towards any bonuses, awards , etc for the dealership.

Basically it will not be worth much to the dealership and sales reps to make a sale for export.

Eastside, could you clear one thing up.
If you do manage to sale for export, would you still make commission on the sale?
shopper-X
Oct 3, 2007
82 posts
Toronto
allknowing wrote: Came thru yesterday with my 07 Saturn Outlook .. there were 4 Van Bortel Subarus along side me and a Honda Pilot and H2 Hummer .. US Customs was definitely understaffed -- but as long as the fax was there they were quick and happy -- if it wasnt they didnt want to deal with you. My fax was there and I was out of there in 10 minutes.
Canadian customs was more like a Walmart -- had the greeter, the paperwork folks, the sales rep then off to the cashier. Oh and dont forget the customs agent on the way out checking out the cars and seeing how much money you saved :-)
(Queenston/Lewiston around 2:30pm)
Saturn Outlook ? Wow, so this means there are two Outlook happy importers now on this thread :cheesygri . Congratulations !
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
shopper-X wrote: As of Jan. 3, 2008, SOA is no longer offering Rebates, incentives, or any other credit to sales made for export. Also the export sale will not count towards any bonuses, awards , etc for the dealership.

Basically it will not be worth much to the dealership and sales reps to make a sale for export.

If you do manage to sale for export, would you still make commission on the sale?
I get all that.

An incremental sale at a reduced profit is still an incremental sale - again, am I missing something here?
Dec 23, 2006
27 posts
Was looking at the BMW X5 but now after their BS, they can go shove it. There getting my 525i back next year, never to buy them again. I'm focusing on the MDX now. With the new rules, are we ok to start importing Acura again. Anyone know of a friendly dealer in the Buffalo area or anywhere that will deal with cdns. Also, what changes does the MDX require to import. This forum has been great and I have sent a lot of friends over here to get educated. Thanks again.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Danno2005 wrote: I get all that.

An incremental sale at a reduced profit is still an incremental sale - again, am I missing something here?
Correct me if I'm wrong but after January 3rd, even if a US Subaru dealer sold one hundred units to Canadians, the sales would not be tabulated as part of the overall dealership sales.

Essentially they sell you a car but Subaru doesn't credit the dealership for the sale. The rep. and dealership still gets his/her commission.

Unless it's real quiet in the showroom, there's no real motivation for the US Subaru dealer to sell you a car. They know they won't be getting service visits.

But I don't expect the dealers will sit quietly either. The big ticket sector in the US is in the slumps.

Judging from what is in the press, (type in "US debt in the trillions" in Google and enjoy) Thanks to Gee Dubya, the US economy is still tanking and hasn't shown any sign of recovery. The US economy is on the verge of recession. I've read that the US has more foreign debt now that in post-WWII history. The national debt is the highest in the industrialized world. With the debt approaching 10 TRILLION dollars, the US Federal economy expects the debt to rise by another 1.5 trillion this year! The debt and interest go up $1.5 billion per day! This means the US government owes what amounts to about $30,000 for every person living in the US (source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... ebt_N.htm). That doesn't even include personal debt. The US congress allowed the government to increase it's debt ceiling. That essentially means that they've tapped out all sources of credit and are simply asking for more credit to pay the interest. When you compare this to the GDP of the US, the economy ranks in the worse 30 performing nations. Right along with the war-torn African nations. The sad fact is that almost 25% of that debt is held by foreign banks. If they were to call in the loan, the US would have no choice but to invade the offending country (LOL).

That will play well for Canadians consumers. Not the invasion but the tanking US economy.

The Canadian dollar will continue to strengthen and the lack of sales incentives will be awash.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
2008 BMW's are for Canadian idiots Mole11. My brother turned in his 545 and I my 645. We did not get BMWs (and I have been driving a BMW leased every year since 2000).
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
The USA is odd. All you say is correct, yet the USA economy continues to expand, as does personal spending. I was at an upscale michigan mall on friday night and the place was booming. Very odd. Also, while the Canadian federal govts have done a great job reducing our debt and especially our debt:GDP ratio (from around 70% to 30%), if you add total provincial debt we do not look so rosy.

I don't know what the big fuss is about. The NH subie dealer has already stated that he will continue to sell to Canadians - he is making a fortune doing it. He will cut his margin, we will pay a little more, and everyone will be happy. Factor in the reduced GST and it will not be much more expensive to land cars back into Canada.
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but after January 3rd, even if a US Subaru dealer sold one hundred units to Canadians, the sales would not be tabulated as part of the overall dealership sales.

Essentially they sell you a car but Subaru doesn't credit the dealership for the sale. The rep. and dealership still gets his/her commission.

Unless it's real quiet in the showroom, there's no real motivation for the US Subaru dealer to sell you a car. They know they won't be getting service visits.

But I don't expect the dealers will sit quietly either. The big ticket sector in the US is in the slumps.

Judging from what is in the press, (type in "US debt in the trillions" in Google and enjoy) Thanks to Gee Dubya, the US economy is still tanking and hasn't shown any sign of recovery. The US economy is on the verge of recession. I've read that the US has more foreign debt now that in post-WWII history. The national debt is the highest in the industrialized world. With the debt approaching 10 TRILLION dollars, the US Federal economy expects the debt to rise by another 1.5 trillion this year! The debt and interest go up $1.5 billion per day! This means the US government owes what amounts to about $30,000 for every person living in the US (source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... ebt_N.htm). That doesn't even include personal debt. The US congress allowed the government to increase it's debt ceiling. That essentially means that they've tapped out all sources of credit and are simply asking for more credit to pay the interest. When you compare this to the GDP of the US, the economy ranks in the worse 30 performing nations. Right along with the war-torn African nations. The sad fact is that almost 25% of that debt is held by foreign banks. If they were to call in the loan, the US would have no choice but to invade the offending country (LOL).

That will play well for Canadians consumers. Not the invasion but the tanking US economy.

The Canadian dollar will continue to strengthen and the lack of sales incentives will be awash.
Mainstream press "read left wing" is madly hoping for a recession, but the US economy continues to dissappoint them. It would fit right into their 2008 election plans.

Over 2,000 days without a terror attack in the US. What ever George W. is doing wrong - well keep doing it.

As for our friends in Subaru land, it is easy to be friends when the waters are calm, not so easy when they get a little rough. We'll see who steps forward to support us.
Nov 5, 2007
7 posts
GTA
Given the fact that the sale of Subaru is down over 6%, I can not see the sense behind doing that. Many canadian came down (or planning to) south of the border, shopping for Subaru were not considering the brand originally (me as an example). I'm planning to get a Tribica 7 seater as oppose to buy a van in mid of next year. But now I'm putting an "almost-new" Sienna back on radar screen again. SoA's decision does not make me feel good about... :mad:
Dec 19, 2007
21 posts
winnipeg
tor98 wrote: If I register in California, then I have to pay California tax.

The title is changed to my friend's name in California not mine. He'll ship the car to Buffalo, so technically he doesn't need to register the car in california. I was hoping to be able to register the car in NY w/o paying NY taxes.
I live in Manitoba and imported a new Honda Ridgeline in October. A friend in Minnesota was the purchaser of record from a dealer in Illinois. They supplied a certificate of Origin with his paperwork and he made out a bill of sale to me. The certificate of origin is as good as title at the border. With the bill of sale I was able to get a temporary permit from Manitoba Public Insurance covering both temp. registration and insurance. One item to keep in mind is with Certificate of Origin Your friend is the exporter of record and you are the importer. If the vehicle is not registerd in the US there should be no state tax paid.
Dec 19, 2007
21 posts
winnipeg
Nitol wrote: I'm importing a 2005 Chevy Express and I'm supposed to take it for inspection.It's to be inspected only for DRL,Metric speedometer and functioning Airbags.While I was driving the vehicle to Canada,the airbag light came on and stayed on,it may be some small thing.
Would it fail the inspection if the light is on?
How extensive is the inspection at CT anyways?
Had the daytime running lights on my new Honda Ridgeline done before taking to CT for inspection. Advised CT running lights were done, drove into their shop and shut off the vehicle. Tech looked at the sticker in the doorjamb, then verified the serial number, went inside and filled out the paperwork, came back out, handed me the paperwork and away I went. Never started the truck!! Works for me.
Jan 2, 2007
306 posts
3 upvotes
mole11 wrote: I'm focusing on the MDX now. With the new rules, are we ok to start importing Acura again. Anyone know of a friendly dealer in the Buffalo area or anywhere that will deal with cdns.
Sorry ... Acura shut the door for Canadians to buy "new" to export from the dealerships. Policy went into effect ~ Nov 2007. I helped a friend with the purchase so he had to title a car in Michigan before exporting it to Canada. Overall, I still saved a friend thousands on a 2008 TL. Dealerships will turn a blind eye to people doing this ... they will provide recall letter, etc ... no problems since overall sales for Acura is flat / down.

PS ... Sorry, I don't know any dealerships near Buffalo that may help you with a MDX. PM me if you want to know a Canadian-friendly Michigan Acura dealership.
Nov 28, 2007
173 posts
8 upvotes
Kelowna
I just succesfully imported a brand new Toyota Highlander which was purchased directly from the dealer. If you live in the interior of BC (Okanagan) and you are interested in how to do it, pm me.
Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
shopper-X wrote: As of Jan. 3, 2008, SOA is no longer offering Rebates, incentives, or any other credit to sales made for export. Also the export sale will not count towards any bonuses, awards , etc for the dealership.

Yes, I would still make commission but only from the dealership, nothing from Subaru. What it means to me is that my bread and butter local sales will pay quite a bit better for me than a canadian sale, which will pay me very very little...It's not like I have any hourly wage. Unfortunatly Canadian sales take quite a bit more time on my part and ultimately I enjoy helping canadians save and get a much better deal than up there, but if it affects my income then I have to consider that as well when I price quote. Also, the managers will be much less inclined to deal as for them they have no real incentive to cut a deal. We are pretty much just going to be selling to canadians at MSRP I think, although nothing is set in stone yet. So, it's bad news for me. Plus no US rebates.
We will be focusing on selling our 3000-4000 mile service loaners instead...
Jan 8, 2007
756 posts
1 upvote
boourns. That's bad news from SoA. My friend was looking to buy a WRX STi in the new year too. Oh well looks like he'll have to settle for the inflated prices here in Canada.

That being said his insurance is going to be crazy high but I guess if you can afford an STi money is almost no object, am i right???!!
Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
canadiandollars wrote: boourns. That's bad news from SoA. My friend was looking to buy a WRX STi in the new year too. Oh well looks like he'll have to settle for the inflated prices here in Canada.

That being said his insurance is going to be crazy high but I guess if you can afford an STi money is almost no object, am i right???!!
Doesn't make as much difference on an STI since they are only making 3500 anyway MSRP is pretty much what they are going for around here. Plus there is no rebate he is losing.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3376 posts
476 upvotes
Mississauga
why is insurance on a wrx sti going to be high?
Dec 25, 2006
423 posts
8 upvotes
gregolds wrote: Had the daytime running lights on my new Honda Ridgeline done before taking to CT for inspection. Advised CT running lights were done, drove into their shop and shut off the vehicle. Tech looked at the sticker in the doorjamb, then verified the serial number, went inside and filled out the paperwork, came back out, handed me the paperwork and away I went. Never started the truck!! Works for me.
That's nice :cheesygri
Mine already has the DRL and the speedometer is analog with both Metric and imperial in it.I'm just concerned about the Airbag light.I don't want them to fail the inspection.I don't know maybe if I fail it I have to pay RIV again.
Dec 25, 2006
423 posts
8 upvotes
tor98 wrote: If I register in California, then I have to pay California tax.

The title is changed to my friend's name in California not mine. He'll ship the car to Buffalo, so technically he doesn't need to register the car in california. I was hoping to be able to register the car in NY w/o paying NY taxes.
1-If your friend has the full title then your options are plenty.He can sign the back of it to your name and get you a temp tag from a Cali DMV office without actually transferring the title to your name and paying any taxes( or you can get a temp plate from Canada).If the vehicle already has a California plate then you don't even need a temp tag.If he doesn't have a plate,he can get a temp plate for himself so he can drive the vehicle to any shops (to certify or E-test it).Remember for cops it's not important whom the plate is registered to just as long as it has a plate and insurance.

2-If your friend doesn't have a full title and only has the sellers title signed into his name,again he should be able to get a temp tag providing the signed title and proof of insurance.That should be sufficient to issue your friend a temporary Canadian plate as well.

But if your case is #2 then I think you have much bigger worries than the temp tag.
How is your friend going to sell you the vehicle if he doesn't have a full title?
Dec 22, 2006
132 posts
36 upvotes
real_term wrote: Hi guys,

I am in Alberta and looking for Toyota dealers willing to sell to Canadians.
I am in the market for a Sienna. Please pm me if you know any.

Thanks.
I live in Saskatchewan and I also am looking into getting a new 2008 Toyota Sienna. If anyone has had any success with finding a Toyota dealer who will sell to Canadians could you please PM me as well.

Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)