Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4055 posts
386 upvotes
yeah, i have some idea...

something from manufacture, etc.

so do I pay 6% then on top of that 6.1%

Does anyone have a good experience with a transit company? I'm going to look through some posts of this thread.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4689 posts
811 upvotes
SK
CatDog wrote: yeah, i have some idea...

something from manufacture, etc.

so do I pay 6% then on top of that 6.1%

Does anyone have a good experience with a transit company? I'm going to look through some posts of this thread.

The best way to see is:

Amounts paid when crossing in to Canada:
  1. Duty = (Purchase Price * Exchange Rate) * 0.061 (only paid if not a NAFTA vehicle)
  2. GST = (Purchase Price * Exchange Rate) * GST Rate
  3. A/C Tax = $100 * (1+GST Rate)
Later when getting plates:
  1. PST = (Purchase Price * Exchange Rate) * PST Rate
Basic Total Price = (Purchase Price * Exchange Rate) + Duty + GST + A/C Tax + PST
shopper-X
Dec 10, 2007
80 posts
DrXenon wrote: I agree with most of your sentiments, but I think mandating a higher speed bumper standard is a good thing. I read recently of parking lot-speed accidents that would have not damaged at all a car from the 70s with a proper bumper costing $5000 or more to fix on a modern plastic-skinned styrofoam bumper. The American manufacturers have the government in their pocket but that's no reason why we should lower our standards too.
I don't care if hte bumber falls off if someone hits it at 2km/h. How much is a bumber? 20,000? :)

so i'd rather pay 20,000 less for a car, and replace the bumper twice in the next 4 years and save 16,000 lol
Dec 10, 2007
80 posts
I sent the email to Coons regarding the bumper also,
somehow i have a hard time believing that our government would remove that idiotic regulation.... that would mean they actually give a **** about us.

We are way too civilized, and we just take it up the ass.
Jul 30, 2007
54 posts
Edmonton, Alberta
Cars4Canadians wrote: I sent the email to Coons regarding the bumper also,
somehow i have a hard time believing that our government would remove that idiotic regulation.... that would mean they actually give a **** about us.

We are way too civilized, and we just take it up the ass.
Why would you have a hard time believing that??

Don't forget that this is the same government that amended the engine immobilizer rule, in less than four months (I don't remember any government doing anything in less than four months), for about 1100 people or 0.0037% of the population. They have also publicly asked the auto makers to lower their prices on more than one occasion.

I think if any government were to do anything to harmonize regulations and/or bring down manufacturer imposed trade barriers, it would be this one.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3115 posts
1010 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
t_garp wrote: email Sent to TC on the Bumper issue
Sent mine too. Argued for harmonization. The higher impact speed bumper was not worth the much higher cost imposed on Canadian consumers by manufacturers
Oct 14, 2007
109 posts
Pierrefonds, Quebec
Ok folks, Serge and I just finished reading many different Car of the year reviews, especially those sponsored by the Automakers.

We also looked at the one sponsored by the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada! These boys actually pay an annual fee to vote!

We think they are all wrong
Standing Up for Consumers / Fair Automobile Pricing For Canadians
Please visit our site, sign our petition advocating Fair Pricing For Canadians, keep up with the latest import news, join our forum and team of members located all across Canada and 123 countries. All for free.
CarsWithoutBorders.com
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/CWBlogowithwords.jpg
Banned
Jul 14, 2007
441 posts
409 upvotes
Lost Horizon wrote: Are you familiar with volume manufacturing, special order, custom setup, R&D for a small run, etc? Are you a design engineer?

Just asking...
Actually, yes, I do have an undergraduate degree in engineering and I'm familiar with all those things. Are you old enough to remember the metal bumpers, equipped with shock absorbers, on 1980s and earlier cars? They are clearly better, and you don't have to be an engineer to see that. The performance of these plastic lamina bumpers is outlined in:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr122007.html

I also like to pay less for things, but I recognize that there is a role for government in preventing the race to the bottom that would otherwise occur.
Nov 16, 2007
24 posts
Lake Country, BC
DrXenon wrote: I agree with most of your sentiments, but I think mandating a higher speed bumper standard is a good thing. I read recently of parking lot-speed accidents that would have not damaged at all a car from the 70s with a proper bumper costing $5000 or more to fix on a modern plastic-skinned styrofoam bumper. The American manufacturers have the government in their pocket but that's no reason why we should lower our standards too.
I understand your point, and I do agree that higher speed bumpers are very desirable... especially when it can cost thousands of dollars to repair damage caused by even a low speed collision.

My concern is that any standard that deviates from American standards opens the door to auto manufacturers to continue charging such gawd-awful prices. As soon as prices drop relative to free market prices (i.e. the vicinity of American prices, which are as close to free market prices as we'll get around here) then we'll be able to push for better bumpers. Or automakers concerned about building quality will build cars with 5 mph bumpers and be rewarded for it by selling many more vehicles. It's depressing that we have to go that way, but from looking at the RIV pages it's evident automakers are beginning to jump on the "oh darn, our made-for-America bumpers just aren't going to be good enough for the Canadian market" bandwagon. It seems they're preparing to redo the immobilizer scenario all over again, although this time they're also fixin' to add the 'Admissibility letter' ball of BS along with it.

Thanks to everyone for sending something in.
Oct 15, 2007
120 posts
2 upvotes
DrXenon wrote: Actually, yes, I do have an undergraduate degree in engineering and I'm familiar with all those things. Are you old enough to remember the metal bumpers, equipped with shock absorbers, on 1980s and earlier cars? They are clearly better, and you don't have to be an engineer to see that. The performance of these plastic lamina bumpers is outlined in:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr122007.html

I also like to pay less for things, but I recognize that there is a role for government in preventing the race to the bottom that would otherwise occur.
Just yanking yer chain there, Dr.. And I do remember all that, sad to recall.. I'm 62, and my first new car was a '69 428 Mustang CJ when it was introduced..... thin little bumpers on that, cheap to fix and those ugly polyester steel belt tires lasted, but were slippery as hockey pucks when it got cold... > :(

Now we have hydraulic rate based rams, etc.. all that makes it an expensive piece of gear costing 5k to fix.. It's an exponential increase in design to go up even a few km, so go over that, and it could be 8k to fix... Considering the benefit, what has been gained by the "canadian one off" demand?

My take as an old man who should have drowned as a kid growing up is that there is way too much academic arrogance that goes into these vernier decisions, with little or no street/common sense to balance the scales, that's all.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1217 posts
499 upvotes
cinqhoda wrote: Why would you have a hard time believing that??

Don't forget that this is the same government that amended the engine immobilizer rule, in less than four months (I don't remember any government doing anything in less than four months), for about 1100 people or 0.0037% of the population. They have also publicly asked the auto makers to lower their prices on more than one occasion.

I think if any government were to do anything to harmonize regulations and/or bring down manufacturer imposed trade barriers, it would be this one.
Completely agree. This gov't deserves, at the very least, a thank you for responding expeditiously to resolve the issue. The process was amazingly quick in government terms.
Oct 20, 2005
26 posts
Thanks to OP for starting this resource for all of us interested in not getting taken.
Anyways, I was wondering for all of those that have taken advantage of car prices in the USA, what financial methods did you guys use to maximize the savings that you received?
I realize for those of you saving ~10k that taking a straight-up car loan still gives you a car thousands cheaper than buying in Canada, but what if your margin is not quite that big.
Any info or alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2860 posts
751 upvotes
dreaderus wrote: question when i cross the border i am going to be carrying a bank draft for the car, do i have to fill out a form as per this reference?

http://canadaonline.about.com/gi/dynami ... f-eng.html
No....when crossing the border, just ensure you declare the amount of the Bank Draft, if over $10 000. I would declare it anyways regardless of the amount.
Apr 7, 2007
367 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
yyz2hkg wrote: No....when crossing the border, just ensure you declare the amount of the Bank Draft, if over $10 000. I would declare it anyways regardless of the amount.
To declare the money over $10000, do you mean just tell the US officer at the boarder that you are carrying a bank draft for purchasing a car? Any form need to be filled?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2860 posts
751 upvotes
niceguy1234 wrote: To declare the money over $10000, do you mean just tell the US officer at the boarder that you are carrying a bank draft for purchasing a car? Any form need to be filled?
When i bought my car...i declared my Bank Draft and the amount. It clearly showed the dealer's name and amount, and nothing to fill out.
Dec 10, 2007
80 posts
Who got us into this mess? And why should we thank them for fixing their F-ups?

Prof wrote: Completely agree. This gov't deserves, at the very least, a thank you for responding expeditiously to resolve the issue. The process was amazingly quick in government terms.
Sep 30, 2007
64 posts
8 upvotes
Surrey
Thanks for answering my questions earlier, marzipan!

I've got a new question now: What kind of taxes and fees are typically paid when purchasing a car from the States. My understanding is that there are fees for documentation and title. How about freight and PDI? I was looking at the "carburner" website linked in the first post of this thread and it mentions that if you sign a "tax exemption affadavit" you could avoid paying state taxes. Is it as simple as declaring "I'm a Canadian citizen and I'm intending to import and register this vehicle in Canada" to the dealer I'm purchasing from and signing the aforementioned affadavit? And if the dealer states that he can't waive the state taxes, where can I get re-imbursed? Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer those ones :)
Pepsi Contest:
2007: Sidney Crosby Autographed Jersey, NHL 2008
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1326 posts
375 upvotes
juggmon wrote: Thanks for answering my questions earlier, marzipan!

I've got a new question now: What kind of taxes and fees are typically paid when purchasing a car from the States. My understanding is that there are fees for documentation and title. How about freight and PDI? I was looking at the "carburner" website linked in the first post of this thread and it mentions that if you sign a "tax exemption affadavit" you could avoid paying state taxes. Is it as simple as declaring "I'm a Canadian citizen and I'm intending to import and register this vehicle in Canada" to the dealer I'm purchasing from and signing the aforementioned affadavit? And if the dealer states that he can't waive the state taxes, where can I get re-imbursed? Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer those ones :)
It probably depends on the state, but in NY they charge the Destination, temp permit, and tire tax. I told them I was buying from Canada and no state tax was charged.