Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Nov 6, 2002
114 posts
13 upvotes
Montreal
I just finished importing my Outback 2007!

Just a little trick: Phone RIV 2 days after. They were not able to read the VIN and wanted to send me a letter (that would add delays)... I phoned and rectify the VIN. Good news: you can provide them your email and they will send you Form 2 by email!!! (they did in less than 2 days)

Good luck for all of you that will import a car. Very easy! Just need a little patience (and some preparation). I saved a lot!!!!

Now, is there any way to change the speedometer to Metric (without changing everything)? I don't care about the odometer, it could stay in Miles. Is there any wat to change the center info display (Metric)?

PM me if you want to import a Subura and you are in Montreal. I have some trick for Dealer in Vermont and info about US Border.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2841 posts
725 upvotes
bbb0bbb wrote: I just finished importing my Outback 2007!

Good luck for all of you that will import a car. Very easy! Just need a little patience (and some preparation). I saved a lot!!!!

Now, is there any way to change the speedometer to Metric (without changing everything)? I don't care about the odometer, it could stay in Miles. Is there any wat to change the center info display (Metric)?

PM me if you want to import a Subura and you are in Montreal. I have some trick for Dealer in Vermont and info about US Border.

If you're in Toronto, you can pick up Form 2 the day after. I went to the RIV office the next day and asked for Form 2 (which requires you to go to CT) to have the necessary adjustments. So I had the vehicle licensed the next day. The office is located at the West Mall in Etobicoke. Just another tip for Torontonians.

As for changing the info display, I took my Subie to the dealer and he said there is a way...using a computer to connect to the car's CPU. But, dealer was hesitant to do it. In the end, he said he would look into it. Not very helpful at all once they know you're servicing a vehicle imported from the US. Don't know if it's just this particular dealer here in T.O but will try other dealers.

bbb0bbb, let me know if you have any luck changing the info display...
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2841 posts
725 upvotes
mekki wrote: I crossed the Pac Hwy crossing the other day, and while waiting in line to enter the US, I saw a total of 5 brand new Subarus pull in to get their papers stamped by US customs.

I knew what was up as I brought up a 2006 Element a few months ago ;)

Sep 18, 2005
502 posts
43 upvotes
Interesting... well, the respective governments will not put a stop to it, the only one that can do anything is the manufacturers. They will either have to adjust their pricing or cease to honour cross border warranties. The whole thing is a joke in my opinion... they should just correct the pricing and even the playing field.
yyz2hkg wrote: Also, as I crossed the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge, Canada Customs guy said "Not another Subaru!" "You know, they're going to put a stop to this soon eh..."
I guess now is the time or never...IMO. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2841 posts
725 upvotes
nonvtec wrote: Interesting... well, the respective governments will not put a stop to it, the only one that can do anything is the manufacturers. They will either have to adjust their pricing or cease to honour cross border warranties. The whole thing is a joke in my opinion... they should just correct the pricing and even the playing field.
agreed...Northtown Subaru even said that he sells more to Canadians than he does to Americans...If they plan to stop selling to Canadians like Toyota, it'll hurt him financially as Canadians are the "bread and butter" of their sales.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
After six attempts I finally got a reply from Subaru Canada relating to my question on why the Canadian pricing is about 15K - 20K more expensive that the American version.

Essentially I was told that a car is NOT a commodity and is not subject to price fluctuations. The prices are set and "adjusted accordingly".

There was no further explanation provided.

I'm guessing they'll now adjust the 2006 pricing since the 2007s are on the lot.

If I go this weekend to my Canadian dealer, perhaps he might be compelled to throw in mats and me free rust-proofing if I pay MSRP.

They just don't get it.
Jun 1, 2005
799 posts
5 upvotes
I just imported my subie into canada yesterday!..just waiting for form 2 and I'm good to go. Everything was quick and painless. Is definately worth the effort!
Feb 12, 2006
677 posts
74 upvotes
I just picked up my 2007 Toyota Highlander on Friday and both borders took about 20 minutes total. Guards at both Linden / Aldergrove (BC) borders were professional and courteous. Canadian guard actually took a copy of purchase order he was considering getting one himself. If I had to I would do it again.
Feb 9, 2004
603 posts
18 upvotes
james-007 wrote: I just picked up my 2007 Toyota Highlander on Friday and both borders took about 20 minutes total. Guards at both Linden / Aldergrove (BC) borders were professional and courteous. Canadian guard actually took a copy of purchase order he was considering getting one himself. If I had to I would do it again.
If your Highlander is the 7 Passenger version, could you please post or PM me the actual cost? I am in the market for a 7 Passenger SUV. I have my mind almost set on the B9 Tribeca but also considering the Pilot or MDX.

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
294 upvotes
Midland
bbb0bbb wrote: I just finished importing my Outback 2007!

Just a little trick: Phone RIV 2 days after. They were not able to read the VIN and wanted to send me a letter (that would add delays)... I phoned and rectify the VIN. Good news: you can provide them your email and they will send you Form 2 by email!!! (they did in less than 2 days)

Don't American market cars have the speed in kilometers in small print - that should be enough, shouldn't it?
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5116 posts
573 upvotes
in a plane
eBook is not a bad idea (though I can see many people starting to scream regarding freedom of info, etc). But someone should review it and post an objective opinion - otherwise you're buying a cat in a hat.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2841 posts
725 upvotes
OK, just wondering about something...did everyone who successfully imported a vehicle receive a letter from the Ministry of Finance in Ontario? They want me to submit the bill of sale and the "Casual Short Form Entry" paper. Sooo...it also says that the transaction involves retail sales tax and are subject to investigation...

Does anyone know anything about this? This wasn't mentioned in the forums either....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5516 posts
3096 upvotes
Toronto
wow there goes about an hour of my life.....

but good to know i'm looking for a new whip in the next 8-10 months

short list of civic, corolla (but these two look out as of now) but now also looking at the mazda3, sentra and the rabbit/golf, why they change the name jsut doesn't sound masculine...(maybe gti)

now the question is are vw's warranties transferable?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2741 posts
1259 upvotes
yyz2hkg

have you paid the PST?

Never heard of a "casual short entry form"
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2006
1203 posts
59 upvotes
Woodbridge
bbb0bbb wrote:
It's hardware change not something that can be changed by firmware or software.

The only way of changing readouts to Metric preference is to change the speedo gauage cluster. This contains electronics that will convert the ECU data into metric. IE. Speedo, Odometer, Temperature for Climate control etc.

Check out the Canadian section @ legacygt.com

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)