Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
47 upvotes
yyz2hkg wrote: OK, just wondering about something...did everyone who successfully imported a vehicle receive a letter from the Ministry of Finance in Ontario? They want me to submit the bill of sale and the "Casual Short Form Entry" paper. Sooo...it also says that the transaction involves retail sales tax and are subject to investigation...

Does anyone know anything about this? This wasn't mentioned in the forums either....
If I'm understanding you correctly, the procedure you are referring to is a random event and that is why it isn't mentioned here.

Bascially it sounds like you are being audited. Nothing to worry about...just one last step in importing your vehicle.

This is a good point to bring up to anyone considering trying to save money by importing: don't try to increase your savings by decreasing the amount of tax you pay. Doing things like importing a vehicle (big $$$) are subject to audit and you can write off all the savings you've amassed on RFD if you lie and are caught on avoiding taxes. I am certain there are many people right now importing vehicles under the guise of personal use but selling for profit and not claiming it as business income. Similarily, I'll bet some people are lying about the price paid for their imported vehicle to try to pay less GST and duty.
Nov 1, 2006
58 posts
3 upvotes
Pickering
BeaverLiquor wrote: wow there goes about an hour of my life.....

but good to know i'm looking for a new whip in the next 8-10 months

short list of civic, corolla (but these two look out as of now) but now also looking at the mazda3, sentra and the rabbit/golf, why they change the name jsut doesn't sound masculine...(maybe gti)

now the question is are vw's warranties transferable?
Not that I know.

deleted
Nov 1, 2006
58 posts
3 upvotes
Pickering
This is done from peoples postings here in this topic (60-70%), for them.
If you don't get that, it is your problem.

Give them a chance to decide if this is useful or not. And I am asking for lousy 10 bucks just for the time spent collecting all the informations and sorting them together.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1257 upvotes
Sauga
0302alen wrote: This is done from peoples postings here in this topic (60-70%), for them.
If you don't get that, it is your problem.

Give them a chance to decide if this is useful or not. And I am asking for lousy 10 bucks just for the time spent collecting all the informations and sorting them together.
But the point is that selling one's items is not allowed in the Hot Deals forum.
"If you don't get that, it is your problem."

You can head on over to the BST section of RFD, read the rules there (especially the ones about "large quantities"), and then you'll be on the right track.
Feb 12, 2006
677 posts
74 upvotes
Just got my Highlander insured yesterday. No problem with inspections and no modifications were necessary. After all said and done, paying all the fees and taxes difference in the price was 10k.
Nov 10, 2006
4 posts
first post here..

i've read most of this thread and the information provided here is great! i've read through the riv stuff and i pretty much have a good idea about importing a us car. the thing is, i'm getting the feeling that finding a us dealer that is willing to sell a NEW car is a huge hurdle. sure, getting a us car will save me thousands of dollars, but i have to find a dealer that will sell it to me first. i'm thinking of getting a new car, a bmw, and i was wondering if anyone here has found a us bmw dealer that will sell new cars to canadians.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Be sure to determine where your desired BMW was manufactured.

The ones' made in the Carolinas is exempt of Duty.

Easy way to figure it out: Look at the VIN. If the first character is a letter, you pay Duty. If it's a number, you pay no duty.

As far as yyz2hkg noted, if you buy a US car from a legitimate dealer and declare the proper value, you should not get audited. If you try to pull a quick one when you register, you're looking for trouble.

As it was pointed out early in the thread, you're already saving thousands, if you try to screw the government out of their share, you deserve what you get. If you get charged for evading taxes, your US savings will be awash when you factor in your legal fees.
Jul 15, 2003
256 posts
7 upvotes
Does anybody know where I can find a list of what cars are manufactured in North America? I think this info would also really help people out when buying a car from the U.S.
May 12, 2004
739 posts
54 upvotes
I do a quick ebay motors search for the vehicles I'm looking for. Most will post the vin Number. From this board if it starts with a number then it is North America ??? A letter would be from somewhere else. Ie J for Japan K for Korea.

Is this correct ??? The search shouldn't take long to do. Listing the cars would be tough as there are so many and not all makes from one company are made in the same place.

I'm still looking for a Toyota Sienna near GTA if anyone has any dealer leads in Buffalo or Erie PA Watertown ???
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2835 posts
722 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote: As far as yyz2hkg noted, if you buy a US car from a legitimate dealer and declare the proper value, you should not get audited. If you try to pull a quick one when you register, you're looking for trouble.

As it was pointed out early in the thread, you're already saving thousands, if you try to screw the government out of their share, you deserve what you get. If you get charged for evading taxes, your US savings will be awash when you factor in your legal fees.
Did everything by the book, I called the MofF and provided them with the info they requested...the guy at the Ministry of Finance said it was random, so I told him what I paid for the car in CAD, and he confirmed it. Done...nothing to worry about.
Dec 5, 2002
280 posts
82 upvotes
andrew-g wrote: Does anybody know where I can find a list of what cars are manufactured in North America? I think this info would also really help people out when buying a car from the U.S.
It's usually not too hard to find the country of assembly for a car - just do a google search like "2007 Toyota RAV4 country assembly".

I assume that the country of assembly is what dictates first letter/number of the VIN code.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1320 posts
29 upvotes
Has anyone been able to collect all the information on this thread and been able to summarize it? I could read 60+ pages but if someone already has this down in a document and would share it, that would save us newbies some time who want to import a vehicle.

Thanks.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Has anyone here in Toronto bought a van from the US? I'm looking at getting a Sienna (wanted an Odyssey, but the warranty is not valid in Canada)? Please could you let me know of any dealers near TO that will sell a new Sienna or slightly used?

Thanks!
Dec 5, 2002
280 posts
82 upvotes
I called Mazda Canada today, and they informed me that the US warranty will apply in Canada. Note that it may take them two weeks to return the Recall form you need in order to import.

I am looking at the possibility of importing a Mazda3 from the US, since Stability Control is an option down there, but not up here. :mad:

(slightly OT - it looks like Mazda USA had a 4-year warranty on the 2006 models, but it's down to 3-years on the 2007s)
May 10, 2005
900 posts
5 upvotes
Alberta
sstackho wrote: I assume that the country of assembly is what dictates first letter/number of the VIN code.
Yep.

1,4,5=USA
2=Canada
3= Mexico
J=Japan
W=Germany
K=Korea

There are others of course, but those are the ones you'll generally (with a few exceptions) run into in North America.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)