Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jul 11, 2005
439 posts
sorry if this was mentioned already, but does anyone know if there are any US dealers close to Toronto that are willing to sell NEW LEXUS to Canadians?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8703 posts
598 upvotes
Many of you here have shared the experience on buying the car from US. Can someone share the experience of selling a US car in Canada after using it for several years ? Did local canadian dealers take it ? If so, was it at the very low price ?

Can we sell it back directly to US dealers ?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2815 posts
688 upvotes
Hybrid88 wrote: Has anyone been able to collect all the information on this thread and been able to summarize it? I could read 60+ pages but if someone already has this down in a document and would share it, that would save us newbies some time who want to import a vehicle.

Thanks.

Made a summary, I moved it to the Motor Vehicles Section...Didn't want to Hijack the thread.

Here it is:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=363416
Nov 10, 2006
4 posts
thanks, great summary.

good to know that you successfully imported a brand new car. i've tried contacting the NAATA about possible dealers but they referred me to some import companies. anyway, i'll definitely try your strategy of calling various dealers in non-border areas. thanks for the tip.
Mar 5, 2003
327 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
yyz2hkg wrote: If you're importing through Ontario, the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge is the only bridge out of the 4 bridges you can import through and can only be done Mon-Fri- 8:00am to 4:00pm.
Not entirely true. Numerous folks including myself have come through Alexandria Bay, and they'll do it at any time 24/7, day or night.

They also don't want the info faxed to them beforehand, and will flat out refuse to give you their fax number.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2815 posts
688 upvotes
Gromit wrote: Not entirely true. Numerous folks including myself have come through Alexandria Bay, and they'll do it at any time 24/7, day or night.

They also don't want the info faxed to them beforehand, and will flat out refuse to give you their fax number.
OK...I'll fix that...I was actually only referring to the bridges around Niagara Falls, Fort Erie etc...Peace Bridge, Rainbow, Queenston-Lewiston. I know there are more, but was more or less referring to ones closer to Buffalo. Don't know about Alexandria Bay though...can anyone confirm that you can import a car 24/7 there???

The THREAD HAS MOVED TO MOTOR VEHICLES AND ACCESSORIES...ON HOW TO IMPORT.

Here it is:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=363416
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2002
2207 posts
499 upvotes
Burlington
yyz2hkg wrote: OK...I'll fix that...I was actually only referring to the bridges around Niagara Falls, Fort Erie etc...Peace Bridge, Rainbow, Queenston-Lewiston. I know there are more, but was more or less referring to ones closer to Buffalo. Don't know about Alexandria Bay though...can anyone confirm that you can import a car 24/7 there???

Alexandria Bay 7x24
Buffalo 9-4 weekday
Apr 12, 2004
865 posts
1 upvote
Toyota:
Here is a forwarded email I received from a friend who inquired about buying a new Toyota from the U.S and bringing it back into Canada.
One thing I wanted to ask is that, aren't the Toyota Corrola's and Matrix's ALL built in Canada and shipped to the U.S? or is their a plant for those two models in the U.S as well?

So they basically they allow it, BUT the dealer can deny fixing any problems. But what differences could their be from the standard corolla besides mph to km/h?

"It is our understanding that Toyota dealerships in the United States may not
sell US specification Toyota vehicles for the purpose of export. Toyota Canada also discourages importing vehicles that were not manufactured for the Canadian market. We do not know whether or not a given model will comply with safety and emission standards in Canada. As well, parts and basic maintenance items for foreign model Toyota vehicles may not be available from local sources. Should a modification be necessary, a Canadian Toyota dealership is not equipped to perform the work. As the The Registrar of Imported Vehicles points out on its
website, even if a vehicle is admissible for import into Canada there is no
guarantee that it can be successfully modified to meet Canadian requirements.

For information on importing a vehicle to Canada, we suggest you visit the
website of The Registrar of Imported Vehicles (a division of Transport Canada).
The address is as follows: www.riv.ca . If you prefer, you may call them at
1-888-848-8240.

The manufacturer's warranty (regardless of whether it is a US Toyota vehicle or a Canadian Toyota vehicle) is honoured in continental USA and Canada.:
Apr 12, 2004
865 posts
1 upvote
Has anyone found a Toyota or Honda dealer in Buffalo that sells to Ontario? Please PM me.. I've been search forever to find one and have had no luck.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Nice letter from Toyota hinting at all the problems you could run into bringing a "foreign" car into Canada. They are leaving you with enough doubt so you would reconsider your purchase.

The car might not comply. Might not run on Canadian fuel. The colours might be different so you won't get a proper match when you get into an accident. The wheels rotate differently. The steering wheel only works when you turn it. If the car isn't manufactured in the right time zone the daytime running lights will only work at night.

Everyone is saving thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. That's the bottom line.

One other note about selling the US car at a later date: Trade it in at your US dealer when you buy another US car! The depreciation is considerably lower when you buy a US car. For example: I've read where some folks buy US cars new and flip them immediately saving the buyer thousands and making thousands at the same time. There's a large dealer in Oakville Ontario doing just that. He lists new cars in Autotrader. You could sell a US car a year later and take less of a hit than your neighbour who got gouged by the Canadian dealers.

Unfortunately, civilians are limited to two vehicle flips per year before they are considered importers.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8703 posts
598 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote: Nice letter from Toyota hinting at all the problems you could run into bringing a "foreign" car into Canada. They are leaving you with enough doubt so you would reconsider your purchase.

The car might not comply. Might not run on Canadian fuel. The colours might be different so you won't get a proper match when you get into an accident. The wheels rotate differently. The steering wheel only works when you turn it. If the car isn't manufactured in the right time zone the daytime running lights will only work at night.

Everyone is saving thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. That's the bottom line.

One other note about selling the US car at a later date: Trade it in at your US dealer when you buy another US car! The depreciation is considerably lower when you buy a US car. For example: I've read where some folks buy US cars new and flip them immediately saving the buyer thousands and making thousands at the same time. There's a large dealer in Oakville Ontario doing just that. He lists new cars in Autotrader. You could sell a US car a year later and take less of a hit than your neighbour who got gouged by the Canadian dealers.

Unfortunately, civilians are limited to two vehicle flips per year before they are considered importers.
Even two vehicle flips per year and making several thousand $$$ each is still very good money. We should all consider this as our side job income :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
236 upvotes
rdx wrote: Even two vehicle flips per year and making several thousand $$$ each is still very good money. We should all consider this as our side job income :)
It's much easier than flipping PS3's for cash! I hope the Canadian dealers are taking a beating over this. Only they can put pressure on the auto manufacturers.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5618 posts
1690 upvotes
Ottawa
Monsieurmaggot wrote: ...

One other note about selling the US car at a later date: Trade it in at your US dealer when you buy another US car! The depreciation is considerably lower when you buy a US car. ...
That's an interesting suggestion but I wonder what is involved in 're-importing' it into the US (particularly for a non-resident). Probably worth looking into though (assuming that the dollar continues to stay relatively high (no reason to think it won't))
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8703 posts
598 upvotes
I am wondering if buying cars from US always worth the effort. I think it is better for the higher end car, I mean those at least over CAD40,000 AND there are at least 20% in price difference. It also really depends on which brand as well

For example, I am not sure if it is worth to get the new Acura RDX from US. Firstly, Honda/Acura void warranty if we ship across the border. And even if it is not, the price difference is only less than 10%. So, for this car, I think it is not worth to go through the hassle. I guess Acura has been paying attention to the pricing strategy and trying to minimize the crossborder trade.

Of course, when I hear those stories about the Subaru. Saving over $10K , definitely worth doing it. I guess if one day (don't know if it will ever happen) all US cars are using metric (KM) on odometer, and manufacturers make only one standard model for North America, there will be even more crossborder car shopping :)
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1392 posts
71 upvotes
Is this a possible solution to all the import mumbo jumbo...

1. Register a US address (mail boxes etc)
2. Buy car at the us dealer.
3. Drive the car over to Canada and keep driving it....

My friend did this with a Porshe while he was attending Queen's university here without problems....that was several years ago...
All is not golde that outward shewith bright...lydgate