Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

  • Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer
 
112
33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper
 
149
44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!
 
61
18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same
 
6
2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!
 
7
2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
42623 posts
8633 upvotes
Markham
Prof wrote: I've had a few inquiries about the Citibank Driver's Edge rebate. Just wanted to let those who wondered know that I received my rebate on my US purchase. It was very straight forward. The steps are laid out on the pdf online. It took about three weeks to receive the check, $1842.00. Note that the request must be within 60 days of purchase.
wow thats alot of money. But for that to happen, do we need to use the cc to buy the car? or just buy the car with whatever method and send it the rebate form? ..or am i just confused?
Member
Apr 7, 2007
367 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
I drove my new Camry SE back on Jan 31. The CAD custom charged me $207 at the board thru on-line. I email RIV the forms once I came home. I thought I cound get the Form 2 by email at the same day. I called them, and they said they did not care to check my email and request, and told me they would email that to me after 3 business days. I called them the next day, and same answer. I got the Form 2 today and will arragne the Federal Inspection in CT.

I am living in Vancouver BC, so anyone expect the whole importing procedure can be done within the same day - is impossible.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: wow thats alot of money. But for that to happen, do we need to use the cc to buy the car? or just buy the car with whatever method and send it the rebate form?
the latter.

of course, many car dealers allow you to charge up to $2500 of your purchase to a CC ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1217 posts
499 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: wow thats alot of money. But for that to happen, do we need to use the cc to buy the car? or just buy the car with whatever method and send it the rebate form?
No, you just need to spend a boat load of money on house renos, family vacations, grocercies over a 3 or 4 year period. It's a reward card (Platinum Driver's Edge) that places money into an account equivalent to 2% of your purchases. Check this thread.
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
42623 posts
8633 upvotes
Markham
Prof wrote: No, you just need to spend a boat load of money on house renos, family vacations, grocercies over a 3 or 4 year period. It's a reward card (Platinum Driver's Edge) that places money into an account equivalent to 2% of your purchases. Check this thread.
so basically what u mean is, instead of getting a yearly cash rebate with the cash rebate cards, u end up getting a cash rebate when u buy a car...
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1217 posts
499 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: so basically what u mean is, instead of getting a yearly cash rebate with the cash rebate cards, u end up getting a cash rebate when u buy a car...
Exactly. The difference that makes this card a relatively good product is that you get the full 2% deposited. The rebate is not incremental such as the AE Costco card. Plus, the gold and platinum cards are no fee and offer all the features of premium cards.
Member
User avatar
Feb 5, 2004
283 posts
Lethbridge, AB
Hey Guys

I just purchased a motorbike from down south and will be picking it up on Saturday.

Where can I get the best exchange rate?
Newbie
Mar 26, 2007
25 posts
Try a foreign exchange booth such as Currencies International. Some of them charge a flat rate rather than a percentage. A friend exchanged some currency about a week ago before heading south & was charged $2.50 CAD flat. Much better than rip-off banks. Also, I think that the booths' exchange rates are somewhat better.
Jr. Member
Jan 1, 2007
137 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
Has anyone got experience importing a 2002 Honda S2000? My friend is importing it from Texas. He would like to know if any modifications are needed, such as bumper, Daytime Running Time, etc. Thanks.
Banned
May 13, 2006
728 posts
jmlleung wrote: Has anyone got experience importing a 2002 Honda S2000? My friend is importing it from Texas. He would like to know if any modifications are needed, such as bumper, Daytime Running Time, etc. Thanks.
SEARCH!!
Member
User avatar
Jan 2, 2007
306 posts
3 upvotes
jmlleung wrote: Has anyone got experience importing a 2002 Honda S2000? My friend is importing it from Texas. He would like to know if any modifications are needed, such as bumper, Daytime Running Time, etc. Thanks.
Tell your friend he is a lazy ass. Secondly, there are dedicated websites that discuss this in great detail. For the S2k (aka "S2000" to newbies), s2ki.com is the best site for such information about the S2000.

Here's the link for your Internet-challenged friend:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=521204
Jr. Member
User avatar
Nov 16, 2007
185 posts
13 upvotes
Duncan
Canada's national newspaper continues to blow smoke in its reporting of buying US American cars. In an article in today's online paper at http://www.globeauto.com/servlet/story/ ... Auto/home/ reporter or should I say Canadian automobile dealer/manufacturer shill, ROMINA MAURINO, writes

[INDENT]Canadian consumers might see slight savings and more options if they buy a used car imported from the U.S.[/INDENT]

If the Globe won't report the real story, then I encourage fellow RFDers to post comments on this and similar disingenuous Globe stories.
Member
Aug 12, 2003
451 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
inspire wrote: Tell your friend he is a lazy ass. Secondly, there are dedicated websites that discuss this in great detail. For the S2k (aka "S2000" to newbies), s2ki.com is the best site for such information about the S2000.

Here's the link for your Internet-challenged friend:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=521204
Good forum! Thanks for the link. Incidentally, I found this thread regarding Honda Warranty:

Credit to nzouk77

I have been hearing mixed things about whether a Honda S2000 warranty will be valid in Canada or the US if imported to Canada.

Well... just got off the phone with both Honda America and Honda Canada. Warranty is not valid in Canada but valid in the USA.

I guess that answers that... good to know that we can drop the car off just across the boarder for warranty work if an issue comes up!


Seems to be another story regarding Honda's warranty of imported cars into Canada.
Newbie
Dec 30, 2007
40 posts
I would warn you that counting on Honda to provide warranty coverage in the US for imported vehicles is uncertain at best. I have spoken over and over with customer support, and believe me, they rehash the corporate line that it will not, repeat not, be honoured. I am sure that some here and on other forums will cite examples of folks having work done in the US on imported cars, but it is a grey area at best and I would not depend on it when deciding what vehicle to buy.

Take care.
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
42623 posts
8633 upvotes
Markham
jnmontario wrote: Well, after reading this thread for 6 mo. now and waiting for the immobilizer issue to right itself, I've bought a 2007 Prius. I'd have loved to have bought new but didn't want to have to book a flight to VA or NC and had a 1-2 day drive back to get the damn thing.

I want to extol the virtues of [edited since they could get in trouble from what I gather - PM me if you're a veteran and interested]. They have a professional staff, I've found all of my interactions with them pleasant. They were even willing to knock off a chunk off the price we'd haggled because they couldn't sell me a 'toyota certified vehicle' since it was for export. I believe they know where their bread is getting buttered these days since they have a 'Canadian export specialist' on staff (and they push sales to Canadians on their site). All deals start with sales reps but finalize with [edited - we'll call him 'Bob']. He has filled out all of my paperwork for me and will fax everything to the border for me. All I needed to do was to give him my insurance and baking info and he called me to let me know the details of what and when. Sounds a lot like people's experience with Xan and the Subies.

Great job all and keep up your work, who needs Canadian dealerships when nice Americans are willing to work their best to satisfy our consumer demands.
I EMAILED them and theyddi not give me a response, guess i will have to call :p
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
42623 posts
8633 upvotes
Markham
derslade wrote: Canada's national newspaper continues to blow smoke in its reporting of buying US American cars. In an article in today's online paper at http://www.globeauto.com/servlet/story/ ... Auto/home/ reporter or should I say Canadian automobile dealer/manufacturer shill, ROMINA MAURINO, writes

[INDENT]Canadian consumers might see slight savings and more options if they buy a used car imported from the U.S.[/INDENT]

If the Globe won't report the real story, then I encourage fellow RFDers to post comments on this and similar disingenuous Globe stories.

talk about "LIES"...slight savings MY ASS.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5868 posts
1925 upvotes
Ottawa
HacheyImports wrote: I would warn you that counting on Honda to provide warranty coverage in the US for imported vehicles is uncertain at best. I have spoken over and over with customer support, and believe me, they rehash the corporate line that it will not, repeat not, be honoured. I am sure that some here and on other forums will cite examples of folks having work done in the US on imported cars, but it is a grey area at best and I would not depend on it when deciding what vehicle to buy.

Take care.
I would have to agree with this; if you read the terms of the warranty, it states that the warranty becomes void if the vehicle is not registered in the US.
Jr. Member
Aug 9, 2006
190 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
derslade wrote: Canada's national newspaper continues to blow smoke in its reporting of buying US American cars. In an article in today's online paper at http://www.globeauto.com/servlet/story/ ... Auto/home/ reporter or should I say Canadian automobile dealer/manufacturer shill, ROMINA MAURINO, writes

[INDENT]Canadian consumers might see slight savings and more options if they buy a used car imported from the U.S.[/INDENT]

If the Globe won't report the real story, then I encourage fellow RFDers to post comments on this and similar disingenuous Globe stories.
Just posted my angry reply after her article. Thanks for the tip derslade!!
C'mon, you guys, go post! So far only NEGATIVE comments have been posted, let's keep it that way.
Banned
May 13, 2006
728 posts
GoogleFish wrote: Good forum! Thanks for the link. Incidentally, I found this thread regarding Honda Warranty:

Credit to nzouk77

I have been hearing mixed things about whether a Honda S2000 warranty will be valid in Canada or the US if imported to Canada.

Well... just got off the phone with both Honda America and Honda Canada. Warranty is not valid in Canada but valid in the USA.

I guess that answers that... good to know that we can drop the car off just across the boarder for warranty work if an issue comes up!


Seems to be another story regarding Honda's warranty of imported cars into Canada.
Honda warranty is NOT valid anywhere if its imported to Canada.

Doesn't matter if its a 2002 - no warranty is left.

Safety recalls will be covered.

Top