Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Nov 4, 2001
280 posts
4 upvotes
BMW Canada are a bunch of F***ERS!

I just called a GTA BMW dealer to get the info on bringing in a 07 335i
$350 + tax for admissibility letter
$500 + tax for recall clearance
$1800 for Canadian cluster + tax (approx. cost) WTF??

I questioned why the cluster change and the guy really had no repsonse. I also mentioned that USA BMW's have dual readings already. He admitted himself that with I-Drive you can enable the DRL's, but kept insisting that the 'Canadian Government' telling BMW do this.

When i put it back on him and said that RIV told me that BMW is calling the shots, he went silent and said he's not sure.

As much as i would have hated to, i would have considered paying the $850 to bring a BMW here because the savings far outweight the cost, but adding the $1800 for the cluster is just down right dirty. Even with the cluster cost the US BMW is still much cheaper - but on principle alone i would never give in. Until this injustice is reversed, I will never look at a BMW again.

So officially the hell with BMW.
BMW - The Ultimate Gouging Company!
03terminator wrote: There is a lawyer in BC looking for BC victims of the BMW "recall letter and modification ripoff" to start a class action.

http://www.carswithoutborders.com/forum ... p?f=3&t=29
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
2892 posts
430 upvotes
niceguy1234 wrote: You may call the US custom office that you are planning to cross. Each office has diff rule. I crossed with Lynden in WA/BC boarder. I called after the dealer fax them the document. The custom officer told me that I could cross any time I want as long as I can show them the car is fully paid, and there is no need to wait for 72 hrs.
Just to clarify, was that US border services or Canadian customs?

Thanks.
Feb 12, 2006
679 posts
75 upvotes
killbillvol1 wrote: Just to clarify, was that US border services or Canadian customs?

Thanks.
Of course it was the US side... Canadian Border Services don't care when you bring the vehicle across as long as they are open.
Apr 7, 2007
367 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
killbillvol1 wrote: Just to clarify, was that US border services or Canadian customs?

Thanks.
The boarder is Lynden (in WA) / Aldergrove (in BC). US customer office is Phone: (360) 354-2183
Fax: (360) 354-2706

Both US custom and CAD custom provide import & export auto service. You don't need phone number for CAD side. Just make just you cross within their working hour.
Mar 7, 2004
58 posts
14 upvotes
jrvic wrote: Don't sweat it if you for some reason missed the opening hours of US export offices.
I think this has been discussed before; you DON'T need the US export stamp on the MCO in order to start the import process on the Canadian side. I just did this myself a couple weeks ago. Do the import thing at CBSA, and then if you really wanted to comply with the US export law, I believe you could just go back there when the border is open for business and get the import stamp, before registering your car in Canada.
Could you go back and get it after you have registered the car in Canada?
Nov 3, 2004
781 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
zenon wrote: Could you go back and get it after you have registered the car in Canada?
For new cars, they requires the original MSO to be present at the time of export. In Ontario, the MTO keeps the MSO when the car is registered.
Apr 7, 2007
367 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
I just call local Toyota dealer to find out how to service my newly imported Camry SE V6. They told me that just bring in my car and the ICBC insurance paper, so they can set me up and service my car. Sounds no hassle.

I also purchase the ECP (extra care plan) 7 year / 100000 mile at 0 deductable for US$880. The dealer, I bought my car, offer me $1600. I then ask quote from some other authorized Toyota dealers. Got one from MA, who can give it to me for $880. I think it is resonable for 7 years peace of mind.
Dec 10, 2007
80 posts
starR wrote: BMW Canada are a bunch of F***ERS!

I questioned why the cluster change and the guy really had no repsonse. I also mentioned that USA BMW's have dual readings already. He admitted himself that with I-Drive you can enable the DRL's, but kept insisting that the 'Canadian Government' telling BMW do this.

When i put it back on him and said that RIV told me that BMW is calling the shots, he went silent and said he's not sure.

As much as i would have hated to, i would have considered paying the $850 to bring a BMW here because the savings far outweight the cost, but adding the $1800 for the cluster is just down right dirty. Even with the cluster cost the US BMW is still much cheaper - but on principle alone i would never give in. Until this injustice is reversed, I will never look at a BMW again.

That is just sad, stupid BMW bitting the hand that feeds it, one day they will feel the cruch, when more of the blind that lease from them stop doing so.
Banned
May 13, 2006
728 posts
starR wrote: BMW Canada are a bunch of F***ERS!

Call Transport Canada 1-800-333-0371

Susan Zimmerman(TC) 613-998-1980

Lawrence Cannon 613-991-0070
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1355 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
mangoman wrote: http://finance.sympatico.msn.ca/investi ... id=6160081

Seems Bell/Globemedia are pushing this misinformation wherever they can! I think we should comment here as well!

:twisted:
Uh I don't think so, it was Globemedia who aired my story NATIONALLY on CTV National news, NewsNet and on CFTO in Toronto when the others simply gave me the courteous PFO.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Jan 15, 2008
12 posts
PrimeBane wrote: Perhaps a silly question, but how long does the US border crossing keep you on the list after the 72 hours? Has anyone really pushed the limit (ie a week later or more). I assume at some point they guess you're not coming and remove you from the list...
US customs office will keep your file for 90 days. After that, you will have to send all requirement document again.

Mike
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2947 posts
663 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote: Uh I don't think so, it was Globemedia who aired my story NATIONALLY on CTV National news, NewsNet and on CFTO in Toronto when the others simply gave me the courteous PFO.
While that's true and we're all glad that they did air it, unfortunately the Globe and Mail/Globemedia/CTV are all one and the same media entity (that's why they have access to the same articles) and they are now publishing these inaccurate articles (whereas in the very recent past they actually had accurate information on this topic). Just because they do good one day and poorly the next doesn't mean we should relieve the pressure/silence the truth?

:confused:
Jan 15, 2008
12 posts
zenon wrote: Could you go back and get it after you have registered the car in Canada?
I will not suggest you doing so even if you could get the title(MCO) back after registering in Canada. You could have a big trouble at US CBP. If you don't do the export processing at USA customs, by law the car is still a US car whatever it is new or old. That is to say, USA CBP could considder the car is illegally brought(stolen) abroad and they have the power to seize your vehicle any time when you drive the vehicle into USA.
Don't take that risk unless you will never drive the vehicle back into USA.
The US CBP 72 hours holding time and 8-4 operation time are really pain but we don't have any choice. All I can suggest is that spending a little bit time to make your plan to meet their requirement.
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
Was in Florida last week...BMW USA is having a lease promo on their 2008 7 series...

$959 US/month for 36 months with $3,500 down payment

In Canada... $1667 CDN per month for 36 months with $3,500 down.

So I did some calculations....

in the US, you can get a 2008 5 series for... $549 US/month/36/$2,500 down.

So an American can lease a 7 series and 5 series for less than a Canadian can lease a 7 series. Oh, and when BMW Canada says but we offer more...no they don't. BMW US upped the anti and are now providing the same 4 year maintenance don't pay a penny deal too.
Jan 8, 2008
709 posts
41 upvotes
Calgary
mikew77 wrote: US customs office will keep your file for 90 days. After that, you will have to send all requirement document again.

Mike
Thanks Mike :)
Jan 8, 2008
709 posts
41 upvotes
Calgary
When paying GST, etc at the border, they accept credit cards right?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5868 posts
1925 upvotes
Ottawa
dotcalamitie wrote: Was in Florida last week...BMW USA is having a lease promo on their 2008 7 series...

$959 US/month for 36 months with $3,500 down payment

In Canada... $1667 CDN per month for 36 months with $3,500 down.

So I did some calculations....

in the US, you can get a 2008 5 series for... $549 US/month/36/$2,500 down.

So an American can lease a 7 series and 5 series for less than a Canadian can lease a 7 series. Oh, and when BMW Canada says but we offer more...no they don't. BMW US upped the anti and are now providing the same 4 year maintenance don't pay a penny deal too.
That's actually a really good price - Tampa, FL dealerships appear to be a fair bit more (although still tons cheaper than Canada).

In Tampa a 750i is $959/month for 36 month after $5450 down but it's also only for 10k miles /year (16k km) - the 528i is $549/month for 36 months after $3600 down (also 10k miles/year).

A quick search around Miami shows that prices are better there; you can get a 750i for $889/month with $4800 down for 24 month lease (ad doesn't say how much mileage) (this would actually be closer to $2000/month from BMW.ca)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5868 posts
1925 upvotes
Ottawa
mikew77 wrote: US customs office will keep your file for 90 days. After that, you will have to send all requirement document again.

Mike
I wonder what they do at US customs office (like many bordering Eastern ON and Western QC) where the require you the send the actual documents - it's not as if they can just dispose of your original title after 90 days ...

For the original poster, I crossed about 10 days after I faxed them the paperwork and it wasn't a problem (although it took them a long time to find it (even though I had called 1 or 2 days before to confirm that they had it)). I believe at the time I had actually asked them and was told that as long as they get it at least 72hrs before, they don't care when I come ...
Feb 16, 2007
15 posts
PrimeBane wrote: When paying GST, etc at the border, they accept credit cards right?
Yes, you can. You want to ensure that you have lots of limit left depending on the value of your vehicle. I called VISA and told them to expect a fairly large charge from CBSA and they made note on my file.
Dec 6, 2005
566 posts
195 upvotes
Vancouver
anyone here have any luck importing a new lexus to vancouver?

or hell better yet finding a dealer that will sell