Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jan 15, 2008
12 posts
bulgurc wrote: Is that needed?
Yes, my Canadian Tire inspector refused to give me a PASS before he see the label.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
mikew77 wrote: Yes, my Canadian Tire inspector refused to give me a PASS before he see the label.
Search the thread as it's been discussed on a few occasions.

Also make sure that you actually need them. They are only required if the airbag system requires 'periodic maintenance' - if the english ones don't say that, print off the specs from RIV site, bring them to CT and tell the inspector that he's an idiot (ok maybe you shouldn't do that part) - explain to him that, as per the RIV specification, the bilingual labels are only required if the airbag system needs periodic maintance (and I suspect whatever car you are importing probably doesn't need that) so they aren't required. If he still doesn't agree, request to speak to the manager, if the manager doesn't agree, call RIV up (preferably from CT) and confirm with them that it's not required and get them to tell the CT manager.
Jan 15, 2008
12 posts
michelb wrote: Search the thread as it's been discussed on a few occasions.

Also make sure that you actually need them. They are only required if the airbag system requires 'periodic maintenance' - if the english ones don't say that, print off the specs from RIV site, bring them to CT and tell the inspector that he's an idiot (ok maybe you shouldn't do that part) - explain to him that, as per the RIV specification, the bilingual labels are only required if the airbag system needs periodic maintance (and I suspect whatever car you are importing probably doesn't need that) so they aren't required. If he still doesn't agree, request to speak to the manager, if the manager doesn't agree, call RIV up (preferably from CT) and confirm with them that it's not required and get them to tell the CT manager.
Thanks a lot.
Actually,in my form 2 RIV states it exactly as you said . I had argued it with the guy but he didn't agree. Instead, he told me he had inspected many vehicles and everyone had one--sounds big liar. There is nothing unusual on my airbag. The English label just generally states that children could be injury if too close...that kind of thing.
It looks necessary for me to go there again to fix the guy and make sure he understand RIV requirement.
Nov 18, 2006
384 posts
27 upvotes
A question and/or comment:

When finalizing the purchase of my Prius I had to supply 6 'points' worth of ID for the NY dealership (it was a NY dept. of motor vehicles sheet I was faxed). It was a pain in the ass. Generating 6 points of ID is crazy-hard. CDN passport doesn't count, driver's license is only 2 points. Utility/bank bills with your name/address are 1 each but you can only use 3 max. If I didn't have dual citizenship and use my social security number I would have been scrounging to get my last piece of ID.

Anybody else experience this?
Jan 3, 2008
131 posts
Whitby, ON
I was told Cdn passport counts as 3, so does the driver licence
Nov 10, 2007
5 posts
St. Catharines
Has anyone recently imported a 2005 to 2008 Nissan Pathfinder....any issues with RIV Canda???
May 30, 2006
296 posts
13 upvotes
norm07 wrote: Has anyone recently imported a 2005 to 2008 Nissan Pathfinder....any issues with RIV Canda???
be carefull about gas guzzler tax.....
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
4111 posts
861 upvotes
Mississauga
im planning on getting the extended subaru warranty, and the dealer is advising that once the 3 years is up on the normal warranty the 4 year 70k mile is good "in canada" rather then having to send in receipts to usa.

anyone have any comments on this or if what is offered is worth it?
Jan 15, 2008
12 posts
michelb wrote: Search the thread as it's been discussed on a few occasions.

OK. The CT was fixed. I got my Form2 passed , and also clear a small block for other importers.
I went to the same CT this morning with onwer's manual and with confidence.
* Told the same guy that he understood RIV's requirement incorrectly.
* Pointed to him that RIV asks a Bilingual Maintenance Label for those airbag need peroidic maintenance, not a general Airbag Warning Label.
* shown him the manual that my airbag system is maintenance free.

The guy still hesitated, then
* Ask him to call RIV for explaination. I didn't call RIV for this issue before because information shown in this forum is good enough.

After the call, the CT guy signed and stamped my Form1 and Form 2 immediately and then faxed them to RIV.

Thank agian Michelb!
May 2, 2007
44 posts
Help!

I'm looking to import a new Toyota Prius. Has anyone found a Toyota dealer in Western Washington who is willing to sell to Canadians?

Thanks.

Ryan
May 2, 2007
44 posts
OK -- Ignore my last message.

I just talked to a Toyota dealership in Bellingham.

They told me ALL Toyota dealerships are able to sell to Canadians, and have been able to since October.

Has this come up before on this message board? If so, I must have missed it.

So go buy a Toyota before this changes again!

Ryan
Dec 28, 2007
6 posts
Ryandk, are you sure about this? As recently as one month ago, I was hunting around for dealers in Washington state, and after talking to about 8 of them, NONE of them was willing to sell to me directly; I would need a US resident as an intermediary. One wouldn't even deal with me if they thought the car was going to be resold to me.

I think the salesperson must be referring to used Vehicles. If, in fact, he is referring to new ones, give me his name!
Sep 20, 2007
13 posts
Saskatoon
dogdog wrote: Ryandk, are you sure about this? As recently as one month ago, I was hunting around for dealers in Washington state, and after talking to about 8 of them, NONE of them was willing to sell to me directly; I would need a US resident as an intermediary. One wouldn't even deal with me if they thought the car was going to be resold to me.

I think the salesperson must be referring to used Vehicles. If, in fact, he is referring to new ones, give me his name!
.... do some digging around in Arizona, hint go as far South and East as you can, make the call, get 'your' price on a Toyota you want. Do your pricing homework but they are selling. They will charge you state tax.

Pack your golf clubs and linger on the return trip, preferably in Arizona, if you plan this correctly you can be back at the border sometime after winter is over and before it gets too hot there. Forget the 72 hours and go for 72 days(or at least 3 weeks) ;)

Possibly California dealers will not charge you local taxes and I also heard a story of some cooperative dealers delivering the car into the neighboring state to do the deal to avoid taxes that must be paid. If the dealer does the deal in his state, taxes have to be charged . Either way, there are some snowbirds driving back new cars, paying local taxes and still getting a 'free' winter in a warm climate.

....enjoy your holiday.
May 2, 2007
44 posts
I spoke to someone at the Toyota dealership at Bellingham and asked specifically about new cars. She told me that, for a period, Toyota did not allow them to sell new vehicles to Canada, but that changed last October. I'm not sure if they're willing to negotiate very much from MRSP for Canadians, but I'm going to try. Sounded like she wanted me to pay to have a car transferred from another dealership. Grrr...

I'll keep you posted.

If it falls through with Bellingham, I have the name of a guy in SE Washington (about a 6 hour drive from Vancouver) who definitely will sell new Toyotas to Canadians.

dogdog wrote: Ryandk, are you sure about this? As recently as one month ago, I was hunting around for dealers in Washington state, and after talking to about 8 of them, NONE of them was willing to sell to me directly; I would need a US resident as an intermediary. One wouldn't even deal with me if they thought the car was going to be resold to me.

Nov 29, 2007
35 posts
Has anyone imported a BMW recently? My friend is considering importing an X5. We would like to know if a $350 letter of admissibility + vehicle report history from the BMW USA dealer is sufficient for RIV to get the car imported and licensed in Ontario, or we must do the full thing, i.e. get the DRL and cluster changed in the BMW Canada dealer, and pay additional $500 for recall clearance letter.

Also, does anyone know a friendly BMW Canada service manager in GTA? Thanks.
Nov 18, 2006
384 posts
27 upvotes
ryandk wrote: I spoke to someone at the Toyota dealership at Bellingham and asked specifically about new cars. She told me that, for a period, Toyota did not allow them to sell new vehicles to Canada, but that changed last October.

If it falls through with Bellingham, I have the name of a guy in SE Washington (about a 6 hour drive from Vancouver) who definitely will sell new Toyotas to Canadians.

Damn! I wish they heard about this in the east!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
toystoys wrote: .... do some digging around in Arizona, hint go as far South and East as you can, make the call, get 'your' price on a Toyota you want. Do your pricing homework but they are selling. They will charge you state tax.

Possibly California dealers will not charge you local taxes and I also heard a story of some cooperative dealers delivering the car into the neighboring state to do the deal to avoid taxes that must be paid. If the dealer does the deal in his state, taxes have to be charged . Either way, there are some snowbirds driving back new cars, paying local taxes and still getting a 'free' winter in a warm climate.

Try to confirm your information before posting. AZ will not charge you any tax as long as you are a non-resident (e.g. if you are staying there for the winter, you're a resident and will pay tax). CA (like FL (and possibly Michigan or Ohio)) charges tax unless you are shipping the vehicle outside the state.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
atorontoguy wrote: Has anyone imported a BMW recently? My friend is considering importing an X5. We would like to know if a $350 letter of admissibility + vehicle report history from the BMW USA dealer is sufficient for RIV to get the car imported and licensed in Ontario, or we must do the full thing, i.e. get the DRL and cluster changed in the BMW Canada dealer, and pay additional $500 for recall clearance letter.

Also, does anyone know a friendly BMW Canada service manager in GTA? Thanks.
BMW has been discussed several times in the forums so just search. For any vehicle, it will be almost $1k for the letters and $2k for a new dash console. Everything must be done but BMW Canada dealer.
Nov 29, 2007
35 posts
michelb wrote: BMW has been discussed several times in the forums so just search. For any vehicle, it will be almost $1k for the letters and $2k for a new dash console. Everything must be done but BMW Canada dealer.
Yes, I understand. But I also heard that some people said that they may be able to bypass the new dash console with a vehicle report from the BMW US dealer. The RIV accepts it and so there is no need to go through the BMW Canada. Just want to know if anyone has success on it.