Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

  • Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer
 
112
33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper
 
149
44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!
 
61
18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same
 
6
2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!
 
7
2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Member
User avatar
Oct 20, 2004
216 posts
13 upvotes
Kitchener
I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!

Canadians it's time to vote with your wallet.

If you enjoy bending over and taking it you know where then continue to buy your cars and other overpriced things in Canada. Please don't bother with the speech that this is hurting our economy. Ripping me off is hurting the economy because it means I have less money to spend on other things. A car is not $10000+ more in Canada because that money is for health care or whatever. It is more because the manufacturers know they can price it that high because most Canadians will bend over and take it yet again and thank them for charging too much.

If you are like myself and have had enough of this gouging, screwing (or whatever you want to call it) then vote with your feet and wallet and look south to save some serious bucks. If you do your homework and put in a little effort then you too can save $10000 or more and yes you can still have a warranty.

If you don't mind paying $10000+ more in Canada then go ahead and pay it. You obviously have more money than I do. You obviously have more dollars than sense.


By the way I would like to thank the members of RFD for their postings on this topic because of you I started to look into importing car, did my homework and just finished doing it myself. Thanks.

I think that someone else posted this but I would like to repeat it. After saving $10000 on a car all the other RFD just don't seem quite as good. I don't think that I will be able to get excited about a deal for $1.00 off toothpaste any more.
Sr. Member
Feb 12, 2006
676 posts
73 upvotes
last5oh_302 wrote: Oh no, say it isn't so!!

Glad I asked rather than sifting through multiple pages of contradictory posts. ;)

In my opinion, you won't find ANY manufacturers that will honour warranty on a brand new vehicle. It only makes sense.

There is after all some sort of autopact in effect. There has to be!
Yes, certain dealers will sell you a new car, but they're taking their chanceson losing their franchise, not to mention the buyer is taking a chance on being refused warranty work if buying brand new.


Assuming Mongo's new vehicle is brand new, I hope he made sure he won't have any warranty issues. I'm sure he did his research on that first though.
Are you taking your foot out of your mouth just so you can put the other one in. Tell me something did you do any research warranty? I guess NOT because then you would know that Toyota honors warranty across North America. Easy way to find the truth just send an email "http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyo ... er/ask.php?"

Here a response I got "Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

In regards to your inquiry, the warranty is transferable between the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
"
Sr. Member
Mar 27, 2006
974 posts
205 upvotes
Almost wonder if some desparate car dealers are posting here to sew seads of doubt.

Subaru is probably the most imported vehicle because:
The warranty is good
The cars need no mods...they have daytime running lights
you save so much $$$$$
The dealers in the US are glad to sell.
most models are made in the US so no duty.

Toyota is probably second because:
The warranty is good
you'll likely have to rig up daytime running lights
most dealers won't sell to Canadians

GM is also probably a good bet
The warranty will revert to the Canadian warranty after 6 months or 12000Km(not sure the exact mileage) You are on your own for the first 6 months.


As for the guy going to give his Canadian dealer $500.00 for good faith in service. I wouldn't bother....wait until/if you need warranty work done and then sweeten the pot a little if he's a little cranky about it all. After all I've owned a few vehicles that ran out of warranty without needing any warranty work done.

I'm driving a more luxurious (spelling??) and safer vehicle than I could afford in Canada....so if warranty work becomes an issue...I'll still believe I did the right thing. Service centers are not going to walk away from potential $$$$ they are usually independant of the sales dept.
Newbie
Dec 19, 2006
23 posts
Ancaster
james-007 wrote: Are you taking your foot out of your mouth just so you can put the other one in. Tell me something did you do any research warranty? I guess NOT because then you would know that Toyota honors warranty across North America. Easy way to find the truth just send an email "http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyo ... er/ask.php?"

Here a response I got "Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

In regards to your inquiry, the warranty is transferable between the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
"

Try reading my posts on the previous page, then take your head out of your arse.
If you're accepting the wording in that e-mail as being valid for brand new cars, then I have some swamp land to sell you in Florida.

Nissan will not honour warranty on BRAND NEW vehicles, nor will Ford or Gm for that matter (as per 6 month/mileage deal mentioned above). That e-mail says nothing about brand new cars bought from the states. It says the warranty is transferable. Please, oh please Mr Wonderful, explain what that means to you.
Does it mean that if you're traveling in Mexico, or the US, or Canada, but you bought the vehicle in your country of residence that it will be honoured in other countries? Sounds to me like you were blinded by the wording, because that's all it means to me.

It's hilarious watching people claim they know this or that when in fact they're talking out their arse.

Your post is as misleading as many others are.

Sounds like I've done more research than you; either that or you're a sucker for punishment. Again, that e-mail you just quoted isn't worth the the paper you'll print it on.
Newbie
Dec 19, 2006
23 posts
Ancaster
tzcnd wrote: That's all it is - your opinion. Until you have done your homework and imported a car yourself then it is only your opinion. Not a fact. If you did your homework you would find out that your opinion is wrong.
Another arse talker.

I've done research. I never buy anything without doing research.

When somebody can actually show proof in writing, not some generic e-mail sent out to appease suckers, then speak up.
Newbie
Dec 19, 2006
23 posts
Ancaster
tzcnd wrote: I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!

Canadians it's time to vote with your wallet.

If you enjoy bending over and taking it you know where then continue to buy your cars and other overpriced things in Canada. Please don't bother with the speech that this is hurting our economy. Ripping me off is hurting the economy because it means I have less money to spend on other things. A car is not $10000+ more in Canada because that money is for health care or whatever. It is more because the manufacturers know they can price it that high because most Canadians will bend over and take it yet again and thank them for charging too much.

If you are like myself and have had enough of this gouging, screwing (or whatever you want to call it) then vote with your feet and wallet and look south to save some serious bucks. If you do your homework and put in a little effort then you too can save $10000 or more and yes you can still have a warranty.

If you don't mind paying $10000+ more in Canada then go ahead and pay it. You obviously have more money than I do. You obviously have more dollars than sense.


By the way I would like to thank the members of RFD for their postings on this topic because of you I started to look into importing car, did my homework and just finished doing it myself. Thanks.

I think that someone else posted this but I would like to repeat it. After saving $10000 on a car all the other RFD just don't seem quite as good. I don't think that I will be able to get excited about a deal for $1.00 off toothpaste any more.

That was a great rant, but I still wonder if there are truly any car manufacturers out there that will honour warranty on brand new vehicles bought in the US.
Newbie
Jul 10, 2006
24 posts
last5oh_302 wrote: Try reading my posts on the previous page, then take your head out of your arse.
If you're accepting the wording in that e-mail as being valid for brand new cars, then I have some swamp land to sell you in Florida.

Nissan will not honour warranty on BRAND NEW vehicles, nor will Ford or Gm for that matter (as per 6 month/mileage deal mentioned above). That e-mail says nothing about brand new cars bought from the states. It says the warranty is transferable. Please, oh please Mr Wonderful, explain what that means to you.
Does it mean that if you're traveling in Mexico, or the US, or Canada, but you bought the vehicle in your country of residence that it will be honoured in other countries? Sounds to me like you were blinded by the wording, because that's all it means to me.

It's hilarious watching people claim they know this or that when in fact they're talking out their arse.

Your post is as misleading as many others are.

Sounds like I've done more research than you; either that or you're a sucker for punishment. Again, that e-mail you just quoted isn't worth the the paper you'll print it on.
It almost sounds like you are working for one of those Canadian dealers losing big bucks to people taking their business across the border.

You are trying awful hard to convince people against doing it :?: :?:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 22, 2004
2588 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
quick question.. osrry if its random.. because the thread is too long and i havent kept up with it but....

Does these discounts apply to used cars aswell? i am looking to buy a 2003-4 MDX and i see it is relativley $3000 Cheaper there and here. Now:
1. what are my main costs if someone doesnt miind listing them? ex, tranposrt, daytime lights, buying privatized warranty
2.how much do cumtoms charge?
3.is it really worth the pain? or is it easy and like a days worth of work?

Thanks.
Newbie
Dec 19, 2006
23 posts
Ancaster
mrtimboalogo wrote: It almost sounds like you are working for one of those Canadian dealers losing big bucks to people taking their business across the border.

You are trying awful hard to convince people against doing it :?: :?:
Nope, not at all. I'm seriously in the market for a Pathfinder and just reading to find whatever tips I can get. If I could buy new, then I would, but warranty is important to me. Like I said, I have no problem buying a slightly used Pathfinder with low low mileage, because then I'm assured that the warranty will be covered if I have any problems with it here in Canada.

Why would you say that? Because I'm opening a few eyes?

The fact of the matter is, I think that anybody that doesn't take advantage of importing their own vehicle is losing out huge. Like everything, you have to do your research first. Can you show me anything in this thread that indicates concretely that a certain manufacturer honours warranties on brand new US imported vehicles? If you can, then I guess I've been raining on everyone's parade.
Member
User avatar
Oct 20, 2004
216 posts
13 upvotes
Kitchener
Please don't buy a car from the U.S. This is obviously something that you do not feel comfortable doing.

So you join RFD today and all of a sudden you are the U.S. car buying warranty expert and everybody else is wrong. You are the only one who has done their homework and everyone else is a sucker. Out of the goodness of your heart you are here to save the day for anybody who is thinking about buying a car in the U.S.

Why don't you just admit that you work for a car manufacturer or a car dealership and it really gets under your skin seeing all of your potential customers heading south and saving big bucks. All of those commissions that you will never see must be driving you crazy.

Why don't you move on and look for another job outside of the automotive field.



last5oh_302 wrote: Another arse talker.

I've done research. I never buy anything without doing research.

When somebody can actually show proof in writing, not some generic e-mail sent out to appease suckers, then speak up.
Newbie
Dec 19, 2006
23 posts
Ancaster
tzcnd wrote: Please don't buy a car from the U.S. This is obviously something that you do not feel comfortable doing.

So you join RFD today and all of a sudden you are the U.S. car buying warranty expert and everybody else is wrong. You are the only one who has done their homework and everyone else is a sucker. Out of the goodness of your heart you are here to save the day for anybody who is thinking about buying a car in the U.S.

Why don't you just admit that you work for a car manufacturer or a car dealership and it really gets under your skin seeing all of your potential customers heading south and saving big bucks. All of those commissions that you will never see must be driving you crazy.

Why don't you move on and look for another job outside of the automotive field.

LOL!! This is like the blind leading the blind. Show me PROOF!!!

I'll save you the effort. YOU CANT!!
You come in here rant a bunch of jibberish that means diddly.

Yeah, I'd buy that for a dollar.

Ah well. I thought I might learn something in this thread. Instead it's infested with morons..lol

I'll buy my Pathfinder in the states, and I'll have a warranty.
I was hoping there was a possibility to buy new, but I guess I was temporarily fooled like most others in here are. Word of warning to those that are listening. DO YOUR RESEARCH! I know for a fact Nissan will not honour warranty on a vehicle I import from the states that wasn't previously registered over there. I actually spoke to them instead of believing what people type on the net.
Banned
User avatar
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
tzcnd wrote: Please don't buy a car from the U.S. This is obviously something that you do not feel comfortable doing.

So you join RFD today and all of a sudden you are the U.S. car buying warranty expert and everybody else is wrong. You are the only one who has done their homework and everyone else is a sucker. Out of the goodness of your heart you are here to save the day for anybody who is thinking about buying a car in the U.S.

Why don't you just admit that you work for a car manufacturer or a car dealership and it really gets under your skin seeing all of your potential customers heading south and saving big bucks. All of those commissions that you will never see must be driving you crazy.

Why don't you move on and look for another job outside of the automotive field.

i think he's shilling for a car dealer
Air Canada Aeroplan Super Elite Reservations: 1-800-401-7201 or 514-369-7598
get unlimited calls or other discounts by calling directly to:
Fido Retentions: call 611 then push 7, then push 3 - or Rogers Retentions 1-514-734-7873 or 1-866-228-7109
Telus Mobility: 1-877-279-3100 or 416-279-3100 or 1 416 296 7669 client.loyalty@telus.com
Bell Mobility: 1-866-313-1086
nice chairs http://www.eternitymodern.ca
great value - lol http://www.walmart.ca
Banned
User avatar
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
give what?
Air Canada Aeroplan Super Elite Reservations: 1-800-401-7201 or 514-369-7598
get unlimited calls or other discounts by calling directly to:
Fido Retentions: call 611 then push 7, then push 3 - or Rogers Retentions 1-514-734-7873 or 1-866-228-7109
Telus Mobility: 1-877-279-3100 or 416-279-3100 or 1 416 296 7669 client.loyalty@telus.com
Bell Mobility: 1-866-313-1086
nice chairs http://www.eternitymodern.ca
great value - lol http://www.walmart.ca
Sr. Member
Feb 12, 2006
676 posts
73 upvotes
RFDers this guy isn't worth fighting with truly find out for yourself. Toyota is covered in North America. Send toyota.com and .ca email yourself and ask them. Dealers may and will tell it's not covered because they don't want you to go across the border. I know my vehicle is covered and that's all the matters.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)