• Jul 11th, 2013 6:05 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 5, 2012
34 posts
Toronto

Wow Vistek Rentals. Dont use them

Last week I called Headshots about renting a Nikon 16-35 f4 for my trip to NYC. A lot of people recommended them but sadly they were out of stock.

So I tried Vistek. Talked to someone, told them 3 times I needed the lens shipped to me since I live a few hours away from Toronto. They took my address, said it would be shipped out and here in plenty of time before my trip.
That day came and nothing, so I called them up and they had no record of me wanting it to be shipped. They wrote it down as I was going there to pick it up. When I explained everything they blamed it on hiring a lot of new staff who make mistakes, and they cant get it shipped out to me same day because it would be too expensive, but better luck next time. They then said they'd email me a promo code in case I rented from them again (ya right) and that email never came either.
Thats how they left it.
So not impressed. I now leave for NYC in a few hours without a lens I reserved 10 days ago.
Maybe others have had good luck but IMO, stay away from Vistek Rentals
14 replies
Aug 27, 2005
742 posts
13 upvotes
I primarily rent from them and never had an issue...Hard to run a business perfectly - Do they normally ship out lenses?

Why can't you rent from somewhere in NYC instead?
[OP]
Oct 5, 2012
34 posts
Toronto
Going to try. Dont get in till 530 friday and a lot of places close at 6, and are closed on saturdays
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1754 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
I rented many times from Vistek. The only issues I had with them is they are sometimes slow getting equipment ready. But they are usually very good from my experience. Their equipment are clean and never had a problem using it. I never had it ship so I can comment on that experience.

Bad CSR excuse is almost mind boggling at times. Another thing to note is why would Vistek need people in photography program to work the CSR job totally confuses me and their sales people are some what incompetent and lazy.

Hope your trip goes well.
Nov 28, 2004
40 posts
I rented a lav mike from them for a client shoot. It came with a faulty wire and caused a lot of distortion in the audio. I had to ditch it completely for the shoot and rely on my on camera mic. When I returned it the following day, they confirmed the cable was bad, but refused to give me a full refund because I didn't bring it back immediately. It is stated in their policy but the experience left me with a bad taste in the mouth and I go out of my way to avoid them.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
2001 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
I have rented from them a few times and have had positive experience. They do a lot of transaction and they have a fairly high staff turn over rate, so its easy for them to mess up your order.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
2137 posts
750 upvotes
Don't be ignorant and judge a company based on one idiot employee's actions.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14721 posts
2432 upvotes
Toronto
Vietlord wrote: Don't be ignorant and judge a company based on one idiot employee's actions.
The employee represents the company.
Jun 20, 2012
196 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
My experience wasn't as bad but still don't trust them to ever have my order ready on time.

Needed my order ready for 5pm on Friday, it wasn't ready until 2 hours later... After I bugged them multiple times about completing the order ASAP.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5627 posts
1365 upvotes
Headshots and lens rental Canada I've had no issues.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5043 posts
3237 upvotes
Vistek CSR's used to know me by face. Am I that ugly?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
2137 posts
750 upvotes
wilsonlam97 wrote: The employee represents the company.
If that's the logic we're using, I had a very pleasant experience with Vistek and the employee that took care of me was awesome. This makes the entire company, and everyone else who works there awesome.
Dec 29, 2004
89 posts
43 upvotes
Markham
Heard borrowlenses.com has good service, but I never used them before.
Feb 22, 2012
16 posts
I've rented from Vistek many times and speaking to them over the phone never seems to be perfect. I always even try to make sure they confirm back to me what I've requested to make sure they understand and when I show up they have not made the right notes and my expectations have not been met. I find I shoot enough that I prefer to buy the equipment I need and just rent the things I rarely use, but over time when I find I'm renting the same thing more than a few times, I just end up buying it.
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
427 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Never had any negative at experiences at Vistek Mississauga for the odd times I had to rent stuff like backdrops and 500w strobes. Toronto store though is hard to get to, traffic in the area makes it a heinous drive to for rentals.

They do keep a list of what you originally rented in the past, so you can always tell them to reserve the same equipment you had previously rented.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)