110 upvotes
Toronto
Which carrier is the tab opened with
Aug 17, 2018
321 posts
140 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 12:40 am
YES! IT IS ILLEGAL and it is bad! Just don't do it guys and girls. And the store can blacklist you at anytime.

*If you live in Vancouver, just don't do it. Thanks*
Hard to stop the wheel from turning with that post tho XD
May 15, 2012
89 posts
33 upvotes
Surrey
hachi8 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 1:34 am
Which carrier is the tab opened with
Sounds like the Koodo method.
Dec 25, 2017
921 posts
674 upvotes
pmcd wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 11:40 pm
I am really confused with this approach. You are saying that you can sign up for a cell plan, pay off the phone and then cancel and keep the phone? Is that legal? Sounds pretty shady. I assume, even if you can technically do it, they will ban you forever from their services. It may not be theft but it must be the closest thing to it.
This is completely legal and your not breaking your contract with them at all, your just exercising the cancellation clause in their contract with you.

I personally have done this with the very IPhone 7 that I’m typing this post with. If you want the pros and cons on this, here it is:

Pros:
  • Cheap or free phone (after all associated fees)
  • You can still use Koodo in the future if you like
  • Easy to do, just sign up in person and cancel (port out easiest)
Cons:
  • May be difficult to spend gift card (does not apply to this case, it’s a prepaid MasterCard). However, the solution to this is just buy a prepaid MasterCard from that retailer, but ymmv if the retailer will let you.
  • May have difficulty cancelling if you call to cancel because call center might give you grief and lie to try and keep you but perfectly legal and allow under the contract.
  • Retailer may ban you because they lose their commission that they should have got when signing you up. You are not banned from Koodo or any other chain of third party retailers, just with the chain you signed up with if you cancel within 90 days.
Dec 25, 2017
921 posts
674 upvotes
Vic00002 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 1:11 am
You should check the terms and conditions of your contract to find out what your cancellation rights are. You’ll probably have to pay a fee to cancel a contract if you've decided you don't want it anymore.

However, you might be legally entitled to cancel the contract without a fee if either:

you signed up less than 14 days ago (ie you’re within a ‘cooling off period’)
the price of the contract has gone up
I mean how ethical this is is all up to you to decide, some may be more willing to go this route for cheap phones than others. Now cancelling and keeping the phone doesn’t apply under the trial period, which is mandatory to be offered by carriers. How people get out of the contract is just by the cancellation clause on the contract. Here’s information on what your charged when cancelling with Koodo.
What charges am I responsible for when my service ends with Koodo?
If you cancel your service or if Koodo cancels it for any reason, you remain responsible for your Koodo Tab and for all amounts chargeable to your account up to the time the service is cancelled. Any recurring charges that were billed at the beginning of your billing cycle will be partially refunded so that you are only charged for the portion of the month in which your service was active.
Nothing said cancellation fees right? That’s illegal so your only on the hook for the tab amount and usage charges and any other fee that Koodo would otherwise typically charge anyway.
Dec 25, 2017
921 posts
674 upvotes
drsnikerfreak wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 2:06 am
What do you mean by port out when you cancel?
What people like to do is get a Bell or Virgin SIM from eBay for a dollar and activate the SIM as a prepaid account without any balance and transfer the number in from Koodo. When the number gets transferred, the account get closed automatically.
I recommend Virgin over Bell just for the BOGO Cineplex codes that are offered from time to time and you get them from Virgin without maintaining any rate plan or anything. You also get receive text messages with your number for free, great for verifying online services.

I ported to Public Mobile the last time I did this because I needed a new number anyway and Public Mobile doesn’t have 604 area codes, only 778 or 236 and I don’t like those. So it worked out well for me better this way.

It depends on you, would you rather open a Bell/Virgin account and spend one dollar to do so or spend more time ignoring whatever the call center agent tells you so you can close the account with them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
6478 posts
33242 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 2:00 am
This is completely legal and your not breaking your contract with them at all, your just exercising the cancellation clause in their contract with you.

I personally have done this with the very IPhone 7 that I’m typing this post with. If you want the pros and cons on this, here it is:

Pros:
  • Cheap or free phone (after all associated fees)
  • You can still use Koodo in the future if you like
  • Easy to do, just sign up in person and cancel (port out easiest)
Cons:
  • May be difficult to spend gift card (does not apply to this case, it’s a prepaid MasterCard). However, the solution to this is just buy a prepaid MasterCard from that retailer, but ymmv if the retailer will let you.
  • May have difficulty cancelling if you call to cancel because call center might give you grief and lie to try and keep you but perfectly legal and allow under the contract.
  • Retailer may ban you because they lose their commission that they should have got when signing you up. You are not banned from Koodo or any other chain of third party retailers, just with the chain you signed up with if you cancel within 90 days.
please don't promote this behaviour to the new/ common rfders. I don't want the promo phones to go OOS within 5 hours :D
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
7962 posts
3140 upvotes
East York
I bought an Iphone XR outright off Kijiji for $620 recently, didn't have to deal with a provider
Dec 19, 2006
444 posts
333 upvotes
Vancouver
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 1:29 am
Haha indeed. In all seriousness though, is it even possible to be unethical towards a Canadian telco (especially the big 3)? They all screw us on a daily basis, we’re just returning the favour.
The ethics are questionable if you look at how it affects the employees and the lower management in terms of the commission they rely on to supplement their shitty wages and the shit they can get from the corporate guys above. It is within your legal right based on the contract you sign though.
Dec 25, 2017
921 posts
674 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 2:48 am
please don't promote this behaviour to the new/ common rfders. I don't want the promo phones to go OOS within 5 hours :D
Fair enough, I’ll go visiting Metrotown in Burnaby instead okay? You said no Vancouver right? :p

But to be honest, these things are probably sold out at this point anyway, always RFD effect no matter how small or big the crowd is.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
6478 posts
33242 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 3:57 am
Fair enough, I’ll go visiting Metrotown in Burnaby instead okay? You said no Vancouver right? :p

But to be honest, these things are probably sold out at this point anyway, always RFD effect no matter how small or big the crowd is.
i meant in the future. 50% off is still not a good price for me XD. I want cheaper deals like the $300 iphone 8 deal
May 31, 2019
30 posts
219 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 3:02 am
I bought an Iphone XR outright off Kijiji for $620 recently, didn't have to deal with a provider
Too bad, you could have bought this one for $550 brand new and not have to deal with Kijiji.
Sep 27, 2003
779 posts
139 upvotes
Earth
Looks like only Black or White are the only colour available? Is this true in store as well?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1233 posts
92 upvotes
What is the difference in calculation in choosing medium tab large tab (prepaid visa &150 vs $200)