Automotive

Wrong signature on drivers license - big deal or not?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2021 10:25 am
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
West GTA

Wrong signature on drivers license - big deal or not?

After waiting 4 weeks got the renewed drivers license only to notice that that signature is wrong. Also wrong on health card.
Have a upcoming mortgage renewal in couple of weeks, lots of papers to sign. And other banking dealings where they check ID at the counter.
Is signature on DL a big deal ?

Option 1: Go back to ServiceOntario and request an expedite change or some form of proof of correct signature. Most likely they will re-do it and then again 4-5 weeks of wait to get it.
Option 2: Let the banker/lender know beforehand that the signature is wrongdoing of ServiceOntario and its being corrected - will take 4-5 weeks. Create unnecessary complications ?
Option 3: Don't do anything. If and when asked let them know the reason.
8 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1473 posts
2091 upvotes
2020rocks wrote: After waiting 4 weeks got the renewed drivers license only to notice that that signature is wrong. Also wrong on health card.
Have a upcoming mortgage renewal in couple of weeks, lots of papers to sign. And other banking dealings where they check ID at the counter.

Option 1: Go back to ServiceOntario and request an expedite change or some form of proof of correct signature. Most likely they will re-do it and then again 4-5 weeks of wait to get it.
Option 2: Let the banker/lender know beforehand that the signature is wrongdoing of ServiceOntario and its being corrected - will take 4-5 weeks. Create unnecessary complications ?
I'd go back to service Ontario - they'll probably issue you a temporary paper license, and tell you to use it with your old card - presumably you still have it?
Option 2 and 3 are risky and might cause issues for you.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1208 posts
2185 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
I've never been asked for my DL to verify my signature and I'm an old goat ;). I highly doubt anyone will ask so there's no urgency to correct but I would go back to Service Ontario and ask to speak to a manager because if you have someone's signature, they likely have yours.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
West GTA
correct, looks like the signature sticker was swapped in error..so someone did end up getting my signature on their ID for sure.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5782 posts
4927 upvotes
Oakville, ON
2020rocks wrote: After waiting 4 weeks got the renewed drivers license only to notice that that signature is wrong. Also wrong on health card.

Get it fixed asap. You could go weeks, months, or years and nobody notices until there’s that one time when it bites you in the ass! You could be suspected of fraud when someone at the bank checks it and things don’t match.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
West GTA
@CanadianLurker yes will go sooner than later... They open from 9-4 ....tough timings with full time work.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5782 posts
4927 upvotes
Oakville, ON
2020rocks wrote: @CanadianLurker yes will go sooner than later... They open from 9-4 ....tough timings with full time work.
Shop around. A lot of them are open to 5:00, some to 5:30, and some are open to 6:00.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33243 posts
15057 upvotes
What do you mean by "wrong", whose signature is it then? Just some random unknown person? You sure they didn't just mirror image or flip yours by accident or something ?
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
West GTA
ES_Revenge wrote: What do you mean by "wrong", whose signature is it then? Just some random unknown person? You sure they didn't just mirror image or flip yours by accident or something ?
no mirror image.
100% others.It's scribble like the last POTUS , mine is simple and legible .

I remember they take a photo and sign on a sticker. Not sure how it's processed in the backOffice, I guess the sticker is manually transferred to a template/machine.
A swap or shuffle, both my DL and Healthcard came with someone else's signature.