Students

WTB: Notebook computer for school - I need your help!

[OP]
Aug 17, 2005
11 posts

WTB: Notebook computer for school - I need your help!

Hello folks!

I'm looking to buy a used notebook computer. My tuition is quite high, so I have a limited budget of approx. $500. I'll be starting a Digital Design program late this month, so I was hoping to find a notebook with at least a 1.xx ghz processor, with at least 256megs (preferrably 512megs) of RAM, at least 15 gigs of harddrive space, and the capability to run complex graphic programs / applications, (ie: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe After Effects, Macromedia Flash, 3D, etc...) Hopefully, you might be able to help or you might know someone!

Many thanks!!!

John. (2pogi4u).
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3731 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto
2pogi4u wrote:Hello folks!

I'm looking to buy a used notebook computer. My tuition is quite high, so I have a limited budget of approx. $500. I'll be starting a Digital Design program late this month, so I was hoping to find a notebook with at least a 1.xx ghz processor, with at least 256megs (preferrably 512megs) of RAM, at least 15 gigs of harddrive space, and the capability to run complex graphic programs / applications, (ie: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe After Effects, Macromedia Flash, 3D, etc...) Hopefully, you might be able to help or you might know someone!

Many thanks!!!

John. (2pogi4u).
Try looking aroudn the Buy/Sell/Trade part of this forum. You'll find a couple of notebooks there.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2005
1072 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
You'll need a good video card if you want to run all those programs. Trust me, I'm in engineering but I do graphic design as my part time work / hobby using pretty much all those design suites u just mentioned. However a video card on a laptop is gonna cost you. Plan your budget wisely. It's hard. :D Good luck
[OP]
Aug 17, 2005
11 posts
Thanks! I'll defintely look into upgrading it with a proper video card!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3731 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto
mrlooneytoon wrote:You'll need a good video card if you want to run all those programs. Trust me, I'm in engineering but I do graphic design as my part time work / hobby using pretty much all those design suites u just mentioned. However a video card on a laptop is gonna cost you. Plan your budget wisely. It's hard. :D Good luck
He wants a used notebook, I don't think any of the old notebooks allow the option of upgrade like a desktop.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2005
1213 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
sniff out the good deals. i got my ibm thinkpad t42p new with a gig of ram, 1.8ghz centrino, and FireGL T2 128mb (PERFECT for graphic design and all other graphics intensive apps.) for 2000 flat (no taxes.) Oh yea... and my warantee with IBM (amazing service) doesn't expire till august 2007.

try people coming back from asia... stuff is really cheap there. my T42p is Chinese, but I love it anyways. :D
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7401 posts
127 upvotes
Ottawa
Maybe you should think about getting a desktop instead. A desktop with all those requirements at that price is more realistic than a laptop, new or old.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
The specs listed are not realistic for any intense Photoshop/Illustrator work; it's possible, but they will run very poorly. For 3D, you can pretty much forget it.

Personally, I'd recommend saving up until you hit $1000 and then get a small, light notebook with a ton of RAM and a solid CPU/graphics card. A burner will alleviate the need for mass storage...
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1353 posts
234 upvotes
you dont need a very good video card to run photoshop/illustrator but you do for 3D studio max or adobe premiere/after effects

i'd be worrying about the ram and hard drive space more than the video card
[OP]
Aug 17, 2005
11 posts
Many thanks for all of your help. This is some awesome advice!!! I already have a desktop that meets all my application needs. I just needed the mobility of a notebook so that I can work on the road. I'm planning to use it for both school and some freelance contract work on the side for some clients. Eventually, I will be looking for a better notebook in the future (ie. $2,000+), but for the meantime, funds have been really tight because of my tuition....grrrr.
[OP]
Aug 17, 2005
11 posts
I know its a longshot, but its worth a try in my present situation. Please keep your ears open. Many thanks!
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
2pogi4u wrote:Many thanks for all of your help. This is some awesome advice!!! I already have a desktop that meets all my application needs. I just needed the mobility of a notebook so that I can work on the road. I'm planning to use it for both school and some freelance contract work on the side for some clients. Eventually, I will be looking for a better notebook in the future (ie. $2,000+), but for the meantime, funds have been really tight because of my tuition....grrrr.
Honestly, unless your discipline is really high, you won't be working much on the road.

If the work you're thinking of doing is web design work, it's probably not worth getting a laptop for. You'd need half a dozen jobs just to pay for it, assuming you get a $2000 model...
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)