Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4036 posts
1525 upvotes
Toronto

WTF kind of mutant ant is this?!?

Just caught and killed two of these ants running across my family room floor.

They're humongous! I should have put something beside it for scale, but it's about a long as the diameter of a dime.

I don't think it's a carpenter ants because I didn't see any huge mandibles on its face.
PXL_20210527_043210676.MP.jpg
PXL_20210527_043146177.jpg
I really hope there are no more, but that's unlikely. These guys were probably foraging for food and would head back to the colony to recruit more of their buddies.

What the hell type of bait/trap do I use? A mouse trap?! Frig!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3062 posts
1668 upvotes
Mississauga
Death dealer ants
You should move, it's their house now
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3940 posts
1050 upvotes
GTA
They're the new murder ants, cousins to last year's murder hornets. As @mau_mau mentioned, time to move.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14178 posts
9499 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yep! Time to move and think of the children!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
May 21, 2015
990 posts
542 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Looks like carpenter ants to me. Get a spray bottle of Ortho Home Defense Max and spray the perimeter of your family room for starters.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4036 posts
1525 upvotes
Toronto
Beneful1 wrote: Looks like carpenter ants to me. Get a spray bottle of Ortho Home Defense Max and spray the perimeter of your family room for starters.
Thanks for the first serious response in this thread.

Yes, I already have a bottle of that stuff from last year. Works extremely well! I have that on my "to do" list today.
May 21, 2015
990 posts
542 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Just spray the areas where the floor meets the wall. Use caution if you have little kids that are playing on those floors. You can also spray it around the perimeter of your house as best you can
Repooc wrote: Thanks for the first serious response in this thread.

Yes, I already have a bottle of that stuff from last year. Works extremely well! I have that on my "to do" list today.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1770 posts
855 upvotes
GTA
Sprinkle diatomaceous earth around your house borders as a stop gap measure. Take them out as they try to enter the house.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22295 posts
3581 upvotes
Toronto
borax mixed with sugar & water!

I posted this in another thread:

get some Borax & mix with some sugar and add water to make a paste....you can either dip cotton balls or I just leave the paste out....

This does work! The ants take the sugar paste back to the hive & feed the queen - they end up dying in a few days & then gone for the rest of the year.

The ants do come back every year or so - I whip out the Borax and do it all over again - works like a charm each time!

Just be careful with pets or small kids around Borax as it will cause upset tummies!
Steps:
1. Mix 1/2 C sugar, 1 1/2 Tbsp Borax, and 1.5 C warm water.
2. Soak cotton balls in the mixture, and put them out near the mess of ants.
3. The sugar attracts the ants, and they’ll take the Borax with it back to their home.
Source: https://www.mashupmom.com/yes-borax-got ... -the-ants/

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Jan 7, 2013
780 posts
437 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Check for rotted wood piles or trees around your property. Carpenter ants only like to eat damaged rotted wood.
Sep 28, 2012
206 posts
100 upvotes
Mississauga
+1 diatomaceous earth. We used it and they are all gone.
You can find it at amazon - choose food grade
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10657 posts
5943 upvotes
Paris
Looks to me like a carpenter ant queen that has shed her wings. I caught a few when we had issues a number of year back and the one was literally an inch long.

Also, when I did the boric acid and sugar trick, I had the normal carpenter ants you see come out, but then some easily 5/8-3/4” long. That was a gross first day, but we had it bad one year.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
9816 posts
3768 upvotes
Mississauga
Use the "special" chalk Face With Tears Of Joy