None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1749 posts
232 upvotes
Mississauga

WTF. Samsung.

What is it with Samsung? With the new software update i can not alter and am stuck with the notch.

With the Samsung watch 2. They said that with the active 2 we where going to get health apps. O`2 level. Which we never got. Expecting us to buy/upgrade to the Active 3.

Now they are taking away the "Find phone app" What`s next? Do not trust them.

Switching to Polar and or Garmin.

To add a further update on the Health App. Useless. The sleep app is not even close to being accurate. Is now approximately an hour out of sync.
Last edited by redpattison on May 1st, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1329 posts
868 upvotes
Vancouver
There is a reason Apple has such a rabid fan following. My iPhone 5s still works fine, still gets updates and can run all the apps I use
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1749 posts
232 upvotes
Mississauga
kramer1 wrote: There is a reason Apple has such a rabid fan following. My iPhone 5s still works fine, still gets updates and can run all the apps I use
Yes, Thank you. Looks like might well be going that way. Apple. Have just bought myself an IPad. Impressive.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10155 posts
2128 upvotes
Victoria
I'm an Android person.. probably because I'm a windows person, and android systems aren't quite locked up like Apple systems.

That being said, I fully respect that Apple keeps rolling out updates for years after a phone comes out, where samsung recently stretched it from 2 years to 3 years. I find that phone technology doesn't evolve quite as fast as used too. The primary reasons I bother to upgrade a phone are updates no longer being support or the battery fading. I guess that keeps them selling new phones.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2295 posts
1334 upvotes
Calgary
Why bother with Samsung's Find Phone app when Google had it built in?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1329 posts
868 upvotes
Vancouver
zod wrote: I'm an Android person.. probably because I'm a windows person, and android systems aren't quite locked up like Apple systems.

That being said, I fully respect that Apple keeps rolling out updates for years after a phone comes out, where samsung recently stretched it from 2 years to 3 years. I find that phone technology doesn't evolve quite as fast as used too. The primary reasons I bother to upgrade a phone are updates no longer being support or the battery fading. I guess that keeps them selling new phones.
I would just like to point out that armed with Xcode and local dev capabilities, if one knows what they are doing, they can do pretty much whatever. No need to jailbreak. Same with OSX. Both of these are built on Linux-ish kernels (BSD but whatever) and have a lot of hidden grunt, under their beautiful veneers.

Imo it is a myth that Windows & Android are more open, it's just that they do less to hide their internal workings and choose to expose it to adventurous users. But with a locked bootloader and firmware, there is little one can do on Android. Same for Windows. Armed with a properly managed corporate(AD etc) policy, one can severely restrict the capabilities of a user.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10155 posts
2128 upvotes
Victoria
kramer1 wrote: I would just like to point out that armed with Xcode and local dev capabilities, if one knows what they are doing, they can do pretty much whatever. No need to jailbreak. Same with OSX. Both of these are built on Linux-ish kernels (BSD but whatever) and have a lot of hidden grunt, under their beautiful veneers.

Imo it is a myth that Windows & Android are more open, it's just that they do less to hide their internal workings and choose to expose it to adventurous users. But with a locked bootloader and firmware, there is little one can do on Android. Same for Windows. Armed with a properly managed corporate(AD etc) policy, one can severely restrict the capabilities of a user.
One thing i'm curious on. Is that my android devices like my phone or my firestick. They allow me to sideload apps not available in amazon/google stores fairly easily. I was under the impression that say on an apple device, you can't sideload apps (or at least not without some mid to serious level effort)? I thought Apple locked their devices (at least phones/tablets) to only installing stuff from their own store?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1329 posts
868 upvotes
Vancouver
zod wrote: One thing i'm curious on. Is that my android devices like my phone or my firestick. They allow me to sideload apps not available in amazon/google stores fairly easily. I was under the impression that say on an apple device, you can't sideload apps (or at least not without some mid to serious level effort)? I thought Apple locked their devices (at least phones/tablets) to only installing stuff from their own store?
You can sideload on iOS. However, you need Xcode for that. This is one famous project that a lot use - https://github.com/Provenance-Emu/Provenance - and has detailed install instructions on how to "sideload" apps on iOS.
May 29, 2017
255 posts
185 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: There is a reason Apple has such a rabid fan following. My iPhone 5s still works fine, still gets updates and can run all the apps I use
As I understand apple phones blew up around 08/09 as black berry fell. One key difference I noticed was apple was easy as pie to use while black berry... welll... back then they had courses you had pay for to learn to use. I personally am not a fan of apple, but they always win in my books on being incredibly user friendly.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10155 posts
2128 upvotes
Victoria
kramer1 wrote: You can sideload on iOS. However, you need Xcode for that. This is one famous project that a lot use - https://github.com/Provenance-Emu/Provenance - and has detailed install instructions on how to "sideload" apps on iOS.
On my phone, I can just plug it into the computer, copy over the apk file, and run it on the phone to install. Easy peasy. If I need instructions it's more complicated than android :) Or at least android on my s10. Firestick is easy, but also annoying :) (using the downloader app to grab the apk).
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1329 posts
868 upvotes
Vancouver
zod wrote: On my phone, I can just plug it into the computer, copy over the apk file, and run it on the phone to install. Easy peasy. If I need instructions it's more complicated than android :) Or at least android on my s10. Firestick is easy, but also annoying :) (using the downloader app to grab the apk).
I never said it was easy on iOS. Just that it is possible.

Also counterpoint, wouldn't that just mean that compromising a wild android device, would just take seconds. Plug an OTG PD and sideload whatever malware you want.