Personal Finance

wtf...TD Bank doesn't automatically generate a bank statement for debit accounts?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2018 5:44 am
[OP]
May 13, 2015
186 posts
91 upvotes
Manotick, ON

wtf...TD Bank doesn't automatically generate a bank statement for debit accounts?

God this bank is BS.

Today I found out that you have to "enroll" for a bank statement to be generated. Unlike Tangerine or Simplii, where they automatically generate a statement after each and every month...

Not to mention the 5 million times you cannot access webbroker because it crashes or is under maintenance every other day...
9 replies
Jul 28, 2012
950 posts
337 upvotes
Montreal
Are you talking about a chequing or savings account? Something's not right. Either you get a monthly statement mailed to you or you get an electronic statement, which would be available online. To my knowledge, you can't be 100% statement free.

On the other hand, some banks may generate a statement only when you have made transactions during the monthly cycle. For example if your cycle runs from the 1st to the last day of the month, and you haven't made any transactions at all in May, but made one in June, your next statement may be generated only at the end of June.

In any case, contact TD directly to figure out what happened.
Mar 16, 2011
395 posts
200 upvotes
airodyssey wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 3:04 pm
Are you talking about a chequing or savings account? Something's not right. Either you get a monthly statement mailed to you or you get an electronic statement, which would be available online. To my knowledge, you can't be 100% statement free.

On the other hand, some banks may generate a statement only when you have made transactions during the monthly cycle. For example if your cycle runs from the 1st to the last day of the month, and you haven't made any transactions at all in May, but made one in June, your next statement may be generated only at the end of June.

In any case, contact TD directly to figure out what happened.
Ditto.

I have some LOC accounts that are unused and produce no statements but my banking accounts seem to generate a statement (electronically) every month anyway.
Jan 17, 2018
194 posts
118 upvotes
I've used TD for over 10 years. The easyweb website or app has never crashed on me.

You can get a printed statement if you want. I prefer to get a digital one. If you call someone at TD they can help you out.
Apr 23, 2014
52 posts
14 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Had this issue when I started banking with TD. As it turns out, 'paperless' for your statement option actually means no statements at all. Change it to electronic and all should be fine.
Jan 4, 2017
324 posts
169 upvotes
I've never had these issues with TD. I just checked my account and the statement preferences only list "online" or "paper" with an option to enable email notifications every cycle. Showed exactly the same thing for savings, checking, line of credit and credit card. So not sure how you would end up with no statements at all, but I am sure they can fix that.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1171 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver
I had the same problem. I urgently needed some statements from the last couple years in my "paperless" TD chequing account, which I assumed had been accumulating the whole time since that's exactly what "paperless [statements]" means in every single other bank ever. Turns out for TD it means "no statements at all", and even if you change it to the option that should be the default when you go paperless ("Electronic statements") it's not going to apply retroactively. Why they even offer this third option, to save a few joules of electricity to generate an electronic PDF I'm not sure.

The branch suggested that I take screenshots or print out the transaction summary available online, which was totally unacceptable for my purposes (and only goes back a limited period). After I made a fuss, they printed out the last couple years of history for me at the branch (not exactly a statement, but it was good enough).
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1156 posts
202 upvotes
ORLEANS
I don’t get statements for my TD chequing account as well but I just left it didn’t care
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1453 posts
993 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I was with TD for years and they were required to send me a paper or e-statement but they never did either until I called them once and they found out that they weren’t giving me statements. EasyWeb is still pretty good imho but I left TD for other reasons.
I like credit unions. Proud DUCA member.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3275 posts
1894 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Handcake wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 5:52 pm
I've used TD for over 10 years. The easyweb website or app has never crashed on me.

You can get a printed statement if you want. I prefer to get a digital one. If you call someone at TD they can help you out.
He's talking about webbroker which is the investment side that crashes or suffers maintenance constantly. I also experience this and it's extremely frustrating especially when you have to sell stocks but can't. I moved pretty much all my investments out of TD and just left long term holdings.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.